Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Fan Fic MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Fan Fic << Prev Page of 39 Next >>
Topic: X-MEN.ELSEWHEN 24--Comments Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2021 at 6:42am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Every time I see Jean (especially in plain clothes), I just want to hug her and say: "I'm so relieved you are alright."

(Toys put cathartically back in their box. Thank you!)

Silly, I know. :)
______
Not silly at all. This Jean is a fully-formed, yet new character for me. I am enjoying her unique point of view and attitude!
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 02 August 2021 at 7:57am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Jean was one of my favorite characters from the moment I “met” her in X-MEN 1. It was therefore frustrating that the Jean who was appearing with the ANAD team was herself a long way down the Claremontian rabbit hole, and herself ANAD. I didn’t really get to hang out with “my” Jean until XHY.

ELSEWHEN, of course, is the “real” Jean. So, yay.

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2021 at 8:11am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I'm glad you're able to use the real Jean in this story, JB. I can't imagine how aggravating it was to have "Jean Grey" in your cast of characters-- except it wasn't the Jean you wanted.

I'd suppose Wolverine would also have been rehabilitated a bit in these stories, but are there other characters who needed some work to feel like the "real" versions to you?

Jim Petersman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2021 at 8:15am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Me towards the beginning of this project: "JB will quickly wrap up anything to do with the Shi'ar and Phoenix, reset the status quo, and dive into new (yet classic) adventures."

Me in the middle of this project: "Ah, he's going to use Dark Phoenix to kill off the Shi'ar and use one stone for 2 birds. I'm surprised that he hasn't reset Wolverine yet. Bet that will be the next storyline."

Me now: "WTF IS HAPPENING??" (to be clear, I'm not confused, I just can't predict anything - and I love it!)

Looking forward to Thursday!

edit - Andrew's post hadn't appeared yet when I started typing this, but it's interesting that we both expected earlier Wolverine storylines.

Edited by Jim Petersman on 02 August 2021 at 8:16am

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2021 at 8:18am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

:-D

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2021 at 8:21am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

To me, what's happened with Wolverine has helped tear down the myth that he's immune to anything and bounces back a minute later, good as new, but for a shredded uniform.
He was badly hurt by Dark Phoenix and Magneto both, and those two sets of injuries haven't really healed. If anything, this feels a bit like what JB did with Superman--bringing him down to Earth some, so that we can see him have to dig deep and find that inner resolve to win instead of relying on being immortal, with lightning-fast regeneration. (In Wolverine's case.)

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 02 August 2021 at 9:29am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Some writers have a habit of making their heroes tougher and tougher, which means the villains also have to be made tougher and tougher, and very quickly we end up at a level where everything is unrelatable. Superman vs Galactus every month gets old.

It was a problem with which I wrestled on JK4W, where i had to start with gods vs gods!

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2021 at 10:29am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

What Elsewhen is doing with Wolverine is fascinating.

There is a reason he was my absolute favorite character in the Claremont/Byrne era. He snuck out of the background to steal the show with small scenes here and there over many many issues.

Now he has had so many years in the spotlight, it's nearly impossible to recreate that sense of mystery that used to surround the character. Except, just by giving him an extended time out, Elsewhen has done it and made it look easy.

If Wolverine wants to come out of the background again and steal the show with small scenes over many issues again-- he is perfectly positioned to do so. Great work. I could not foresee how well this would work for me.

Laren Farmer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2021 at 3:46pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Haven't posted in the forum long time, but have been following the Elsewhen series regularly.  Just wanted to say thanks to JB for all this amazing work.  It's been a regular source of joy for me.  
Back to Top profile | search | www

Jeffrey Rice
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 August 2021 at 8:02am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I remember in the 80's when every single villain needed an upgrade. Particularly in Iron Man's case. 

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 August 2021 at 2:10pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Looking forward to seeing more of Magneto if and when he returns. For some reason I enjoy seeing Magneto getting up to whatever his latest piece of skulduggery is.

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 20 March 2022 at 7:52am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Eep! Flipping thru some “back issues” and—-did anybody else notice Storm has two left feet on page 10?

<< Prev Page of 39 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |