Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Fan Fic MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Fan Fic << Prev Page of 48 Next >>
Topic: X-MEN.ELSEWHEN 26--Comments Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 September 2021 at 12:11pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

X-Men, Alpha Flight, Jahf; beat those bugger monsters!!!

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 18 September 2021 at 1:05pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Rod Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2021 at 6:02am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I'm finding that I'm enjoying the character moments, like today's page, as much as the action in this issue.  Looking forward to seeing where the rest of the issue takes us.

Back to Top profile | search

Steven Queen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2021 at 6:02am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Another wrong righted!

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 20 September 2021 at 6:04am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I'm finding that I'm enjoying the character moments, like today's page, as much as the action in this issue.

••

My job here is done!

Mark McKay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2021 at 6:19am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

JB, are you righting another one of those wrongs here that’s always bugged you?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

David Schmidt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2021 at 6:20am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

True and I love the reference to that odd conversation between Storm and Cyclops in Savage Lands.

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 20 September 2021 at 6:32am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

For those who have not heard the tale before (with apologies to those who have), when the X-Men found themselves in the Savage Land, thinking Jean dead (again) Chris and I plotted a moment where Scott, off on his own, contemplated current events. He was joined by Storm, who apologized for intruding on his grief.

Now, what was then SUPPOSED to happen was that Scott would tell Ororo he had no grief to be intruded upon. When the shuttle crashed, he literally FELT Jean DIE, and the Jean who had come back was not the Jean he'd fallen in love with.

In a classic Claremont moment, Chris had Scott refer to Jean as the "girl" he'd fallen in love with, which triggered in Storm a feminist tirade that forever changed Scott, in the minds of many readers, into a jerk. (Or "dick" if we use Joss Whedon's language). The intended scene, which was supposed to be something of a deep dive into Scott's psyche, and, as such, very touching, was lost. When I saw the published comic I called Chris and asked WHAT THE F**K?? and got a response of which I had already grown weary, "That was how I felt when I scripted it."

So, yes, today's page is me using ELSEWHEN to correct something that has bugged me for forty years. (It's not easy being me!)

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2021 at 6:37am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

The great thing about ongoing stories, like this, is that there's the opportunity to revisit a moment from the past (if desired) or to let it go, and JB has done both in various series-- all with the goal of giving the best reading experience, the most "bang for the buck."

In this case, today's page addresses something that had been hanging between Scott and Ororo for a long time, and does a nifty job of tying it off. Not often us readers get to see a plot point handled that notes a past, anomalous conversation AND addresses their current moment at the same time.

Well done!

Steven Queen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2021 at 6:45am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

@JB: What was the path forward from that intended point, before Claremont hijacked it? i.e. Scott feeling alienated from the Jean Grey/Phoenix that "died" in Magneto's base would lead to (or implied)...what?

Surely you didn't have the body-switch idea fully fleshed out at that time, correct?

Steven Queen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2021 at 6:46am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

By the way, Storm's been looking great.

Edited by Steven Queen on 20 September 2021 at 6:47am

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 20 September 2021 at 7:04am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

The “body switch” was something suggested by Kurt Busiek, long after the fact.

What’s curious, as noted elsewhere, is how Chris seemed to be writing Phoenix as a separate entity from very early on.

ron bailey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2021 at 7:27am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

One thing is for sure: With all these ret/cons, rewrites, reincarnations, and recriminations from this crucial nexus in the character's development, it's clear there was a colossal fail from an editorial perspective at a critical time, resulting in the s-show that has resulted since.  < id="protanopia"> < id="deuteranopia"> < id="tritanopia">

I remember seeing some promotional image of some sort of "Phoenix Team" some years ago and thought, "ugh, just leave that poor character alone ..."

<< Prev Page of 48 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |