Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Fan Fic MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Fan Fic << Prev Page of 48 Next >>
Topic: X-MEN.ELSEWHEN 26--Comments Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2021 at 7:42am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

What’s curious, as noted elsewhere, is how Chris seemed to be writing Phoenix as a separate entity from very early on.
------------------------------------------------------------ -----
I wonder if it meant he could then write the character in whatever way he wanted to and was no longer beholden to keeping her on character as Jean.
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 20 September 2021 at 7:43am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Julie Schwartz referred to the “archeologists”, those writers/artists/editors who seemed incapable of making a move in any direction if it wasn’t to perform some kind of “excavation”—very often of some obscure character or event that nobody else had thought about for years or even decades. (Sure, mea culpa, mea culpa. I was not BORN the paradigm I have become.)

Occasionally I have been frustrated to find something I intended as a step forward turned into three steps back by whichever writer I happened to be working with at the time.

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2021 at 7:57am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

QUOTE:
What’s curious, as noted elsewhere, is how Chris seemed to be writing Phoenix as a separate entity from very early on.

Indeed! And it's easy to forget, because in retrospect we think in concentrated fashion of the entirety of the "tale" of Phoenix, that Mr. Claremont was doing so for years.

Where was he really going with all this?!

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 20 September 2021 at 8:33am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Bette Midler wrote a kid’s book about a baby girl who could only say “MORE!”

That’s a pretty good summation of Chris’ writing style.

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2021 at 10:05am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

After reading some comments, I see I'm not the only one who found today's page special. This is the kind of layered character relationship that makes this team so special.

I want to say that I admire this "fix" as a way of improving the old beat by keeping it and taking Ororo further along the same line of thought. Scott's understanding makes her almost right for having defended her friend. But time and a better understanding of things makes Ororo concerned that she was a bit out of line.

It doesn't "undo" anything. It just lifts their chins a little over an incident that maybe shouldn't have happened.

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 20 September 2021 at 10:48am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

It’s a question of context. ELSEWHEN is a path not taken, and certain early elements need to be realigned in this “reality”.

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2021 at 12:35pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

"At that moment, Kearny, New Jersey,"
Noooooooooooo!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2021 at 12:58pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I loooove this readdressing of that line way back about Jean not being who Scott had known!

Yeeeeeeessssss! :^)

That always stuck out like that even older "Oh Jean, if only you could know the way I really feel" thought of Xavier's! It made you stop in your tracks and go 'WTF' is this?

Ororo repair successful.

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 20 September 2021 at 1:02pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Raj Dhami
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2021 at 1:12pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Today's Page - Panel 3 - Ororo - Perfect!

Nuff Said!

Bob Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2021 at 1:22pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I agree with the comments made about today's page - that conversation between Scott and Ororo all those years ago felt "off" even to school-age me back at the time, and (as noted) it did Scott no favours.

The only thing that felt a little odd today was Scott referring to the Prof simply as "X" - is that something that I've forgotten he does, or is this new for Scott?

Also, if I remember correctly (and it's quite possible I don't) a nascent relationship developed shortly after the team returned from the Savage Land to more civilized shores between Scott and Colleen Wing (during the period that the rest of the team believed "Jean/Phoenix" to be dead and vice versa). Obviously as the reader I had more information than the characters, but this also didn't sit comfortably with me - given how long it had taken Scott to admit his feelings for Jean, seeing him apparently move on so quickly also felt "off" for the character. Admittedly I was school-age at the time, so understood diddly-squat about true love...

At the time I was anticipating some fallout as and when Scott and "Jean/Phoenix" found each other to be alive, but this never seemed to materialize, and the whole dalliance with Colleen seemed to be not addressed (admittedly things were pretty hectic for the team at the time!!).

Was this something that was intended to go somewhere that it ultimately didn't?

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 20 September 2021 at 2:05pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

The only thing that felt a little odd today was Scott referring to the Prof simply as "X" - is that something that I've forgotten he does, or is this new for Scott?

•••

I’m pretty sure he’s done it before, but I will let sharper brains than mine confirm or deny.

Kevin Ricci
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2021 at 3:26pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

The "mutants" line spoken by Shaman about the N'Garai and now this conversation between Scott and Ororo are very subtle but very effective enhancements to past stories. Very few writers possess such skill!   

<< Prev Page of 48 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |