Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: Slow Day……. Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 September 2021 at 7:41pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

That's pretty much what they do.  It's just that different creative teams have different ideas of what they wish to ignore or embrace.

This is a strange one, tho.

The undoing of a bad story that can be assumed the creative team doesn't like or wishes to ignore actually calls more attention to it by making up an even more ridiculous story to undo it.

I, for one, had completely forgotten about it though I admit I don't care much for continuity in general.

Back to Top profile | search

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 September 2021 at 4:36am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

It was Rosh Hashanah for me! Jew-excuse!

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 September 2021 at 4:42am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

It's not the continuity or the complicated ways of writing these things out that bother me it's more the fact that some of these stories were allowed by editors in the first place!

Valmor J. Pedretti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 September 2021 at 4:52am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Ok, I know this will sound extreme but wouldn't be easier and simpler to do one final reboot on the comics where they come back 100% aligned to the cinematic universe and have both walk together? 

Maybe less titles out there, but focusing on quality, keeping the tone and bringing it all together.

I know it'd be painful for old school fans, but isn't it better than having those weird nonsense fanboy twists all the time?
Back to Top profile | search | www

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 September 2021 at 4:55am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I'll be honest and say i read more than i post lately.
The reason being that there's a lot of rudeness and
nastiness in some replies. We don't have to agree with
everyone's point of view, but neither do we have to be
insulting and nasty. I will add that none of it has been
directed at me, but it saddens me that we can't be
civil.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Phil Frances
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 September 2021 at 5:43am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

"focusing on quality, keeping the tone and bringing it all together."

I'm all for this - the ideal would be just the stories and characters themselves shining, not 'events' or any slave to continuity ( which surely must be a dead concept effectively, after so many years ? )

Bringing it back to the most basic - these are stories, not a reportage exercise ... while it's nice if they inter-relate, it's not essential to anyone's well-being, surely ?

Stan used it as an exercise to cross-promote other books and characters in the early days of Marvel, and it works really well in the best instances ... but equally, I don't hear many Schulz fans decrying any particular Peanuts strip because it contradicts something Charlie Brown did 20 years earlier ... why are superhero comics any different ?*

The newest and best example of 'how to do it right' is right in front of us in Elsewhen - using the established lore to tell fantastic new tales - but far from being constrained by it. It just takes that extra leap of imagination to honour the past without letting it limit the story.

*Actually, even in typing this I've realised JB already answered my question - too many sticky fanboy hands on the tiller ....

Edited by Phil Frances on 09 September 2021 at 5:47am

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 September 2021 at 6:46am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Michael P - ditto! L'shannah tovah, to you, and all our friends! 'Cause actually, it was Rosh Hashannah for everyone; most people just didn't acknowledge it. :) :) :)

As to stories that should or shouldn't hit the page - isn't that an editors and e-i-c's JOB? Not just to be sure that they spell Nightcrawler's name correctly and make sure that Spider-Man can't fly, but keep stories in order and recognizable?

Or are those sticky hands too power drunk to do their jobs properly?

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 September 2021 at 9:11am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

For Ben Grimm and Kitty Pryde, sure, Eric...

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 September 2021 at 10:17am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Nothing going on that I know of; I just hadn't been on the forum yet today.

Mike Benson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 September 2021 at 10:26am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Bill - you're right.  One playground bully, in particular, dives in periodically and berates some posters, almost always about something silly and insignificant.  He doesn't agree with something you said?  Be prepared for a diatribe.  I have him on ignore, but I can tell when he's been dropping bombs.  It slows down or completely stalls what had been civil, interesting conversations.  I believe he's been pushing his imagined weight around the last few days.  Sorry, as I think he's an admin or something, but he seems to treat these forums like his personal venting vehicle.  And it almost certainly quiets things down.

Phil Frances
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 September 2021 at 11:26am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Mike - agreed there on the admin - I've spotted a couple of occasions recently where their responses seem totally disproportionate to the original comment.

In connection, 'poison' was mentioned I think - no place for that here, where we all should be able to openly share opinions, even if others don't align with our views.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 September 2021 at 11:48am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I try to consider this forum as a part of NYC. Someone might start yelling "I'm walking here!" and it gets forgotten a minute later, because it's nothing personal really, there are a few million people so who can know them all? But no, it doesn't work for (a very few) perpetually angry and personal types. I definitely am the person by the park on a soapbox ranting sometimes, but how can I be personal with anyone here whom I've not met in person so far as I know? A Kung-Fu flashback about how grasshopper is truly really fighting himself applies to those poison pals, and to a lesser extent to all of us.

I'm almost 54 and getting to be a tough old bird. The first time I logged on to an internet was 1982-83. Heck, I'm even not afraid to say, yeah, I still read superhero comics and I enjoy them! You can't imagine how many people there are who will say that should never be! :^)
Back to Top profile | search | www

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |