Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: 20 Years Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 September 2021 at 12:00am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Brexit was, in part, the product of a decades long assault on the
European Parliament by the press.

There is a website that lists all the lies published by the UK press over
the years, providing responses to each of the lies.

It’s a really long list. But these lies were believed, & even became part
of our national belief - examples such as no bent bananas being the
most famous.

Add the lies told about people entering the country, taking our jobs
(which is we are now seeing the effects of, as food rots in fields etc
because British people do not want to do those jobs), stealing our
houses, destroying our fishing industry (which seems to have really
suffered since Brexit) & a whole host of other claims, & the resentment
of Europe became large.

Cameron did not expect to lose. He asked the wrong question. There
was no plan to leave, no one could agree, & now the government
claims it didn’t understand what it signed up to with the Northern Ireland
protocol.

9/11 caused some of what led to this, but has been brewing long before
that.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Dave Kopperman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 September 2021 at 2:35pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

James: I'd be fascinated to see that list, if you've got a link.  Watching from afar, I sometimes felt like Nigel Farage was the grinning asshole gender-swapped clone of Margaret Thatcher - not merely in philosophy but in that sensurround dripping-with-contempt vibe they exuded.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 September 2021 at 6:32pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

"Greenspan had been on the side of unregulated OTC derivatives since the late 90s."

The OTC derivates contributed to the GFC, but aren't the reason. It was the loss of credibility of mortgage backed securities. The importance of MBS cannot be understated, as along with T-bills these are used as collateral for international banking. Basically Lehman and others poisoned all of international finance, and the distrust between banks continues to this day. 

Edited by Joe Zhang on 14 September 2021 at 6:34pm

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 September 2021 at 6:53pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

The Syrian refugee crisis certainly did tip the UK into Brexit. The coming Afghan refugee wave might just break up the EU. European governments have to stop navel-gazing and virtue signaling. Governments have take care of their own people first. Only then will their voters feel secure enough to show generosity towards foreigners. That's my strongly held opinion, from my years as an an American immigrant. I've wondered why America would let me and my parents in, when so few Americans really want us.  

Edited by Joe Zhang on 14 September 2021 at 7:20pm

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 September 2021 at 8:22pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Joe wrote:
The OTC derivates contributed to the GFC, but aren't the reason. It was the loss of credibility of mortgage backed securities. The importance of MBS cannot be understated, as along with T-bills these are used as collateral for international banking. Basically Lehman and others poisoned all of international finance, and the distrust between banks continues to this day.

MBS and CDOs were indeed a major part of the financial crisis. No argument there. My point wasn't about the part OTC derivatives played, but I mentioned it to illustrate how Greenspan's attitude to rolling the dice vis-a-vis regulatory oversight was unfettered by or unconnected to George W Bush's focus being wrapped up in Iraq. 
Back to Top profile | search

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 September 2021 at 6:46am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Dave: Here's a link to a site that reported on the EU
website. Luckily, it still lists the stories. I say that
as the EU site, that also published responses to each of
these stories, seems to no longer work. Which is a shame
as it was a really useful site.

UK press negative EU stories list

Here is a flavour of what the EU page used to contain:
EU rebuttal to UK
press stories - Euromyths

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 September 2021 at 7:52am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I used to live in Battery Park City, and before that on Nassau Street in downtown Manhattan, so the entire area in and around the Twin Towers, that was my home and playground.

Even two decades later, it hurts too much for me to go down there. I never have and I don't know that I ever will.

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 September 2021 at 8:21am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I was travelling to work via the WTC for 3 years at the point of Sept. 11, up until the night before. Had I left for work early that day as I was contemplating, I would have been there right when the first plane struck. But since I didn't, I was waiting for a bus in Brooklyn that never showed up to take me there, blissfully unaware of what was transpiring a few miles to the north of me. I still think about the fact that I must have passed people in underground mall of the WTC in those 3 years that were murdered that day.

I also remember footage that had never resurfaced since. I remember watching a reporter (I think on Channel 5) interviewing a man (I forget his profession)outside up around Houston Street, who was claiming that the towers should be able to withstand the flames, only to have the camera quickly pan to the south and showing the first tower collapse. The camera then panned back to the reporter and the awestruck man.

Edited by Vinny Valenti on 15 September 2021 at 8:26am

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 September 2021 at 8:48am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I didn't have a specific reason to be at the Trade Center on 9/11, Vinny, but I was there the day before. And I easily might have been the next day. Anybody who lived or worked around there, so many but-for situations. Every city-person from that time, we're all deeply marked by what happened. How many meetings did I have there? How many times did I lunch at Windows on the World? How many times did I just simply pass through the South Tower on my way to the subway, sometimes stopping in the bookstore in the mall, just to browse or pick up something to read...?

And, ya know, as an old-time New Yorker, it took a long time for me to accept the Twin Towers. To me, even now, I feel that the Empire State Building still is and should be the tallest building in the world! But until the Towers were gone, I didn't fully realize the affection I had for them.

Dave Kopperman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 September 2021 at 8:52am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

One news story that sticks with me from the morning of was on CNN.com, where I was following the news as it unfolded. This was one that turned up in the feed in the forty-five minute window between when the plane hit the second tower (when we all suddenly knew the gravity of the situation) and the south tower collapse. 

Somehow, someone at CNN had managed to phone someone on one of the upper floors and asked how people were doing.  The response, before the phone cut out: "How do you think we're doing? We're fucking dying!"

I've never seen any reference to that story at any point after that morning, but MAN did it impact me.

Dave Kopperman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 September 2021 at 8:55am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

James: thanks for that.  I'll check it out, if only so I can be the guy that sits in the back row during a predictable horror movie and loudly calls every plot point before it happens - except in this case, it's not a horror movie but American history yet to come.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 September 2021 at 10:59am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I recorded the airing of the 9/11 documentary by the Naudet brothers on CNN at the weekend and, watching it yesterday, it really brought back the visceral shock and horror of the event.

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |