Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: Should Influential latter creators Get Co-Creator Credit? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 December 2019 at 2:46pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Writer Tom King thinks that influential creators who take over writing and/or drawing a character created by other creators should be given co-creator credit of those characters. I disagree with this and I think that such a suggestion comes off as self serving and smacks of someone who not only wants to leave their mark on a character, but someone who also wants to rewrite history and be given credit for creating a character that they had no hand in creating. At the most, latter influential creators should only be credited as "contributors". What do you guys think?

https://www.cbr.com/batman-tom-king-creator-credits-oneil-ad ams-englehart-rogers-miller/

Edited by Rick Whiting on 02 December 2019 at 3:03pm
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 02 December 2019 at 2:52pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

No.

Creation only happens once.

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 December 2019 at 3:48pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

No. Ludicrous idea.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 December 2019 at 3:57pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I think Tom King suggesting this may be the most ridiculous part of it.

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 December 2019 at 4:27pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Idiotic suggestion.

I agree with Gerry Conway's Tweet last year that a creator should be credited about a character they created, but not King's view that because someone wrote / drew stories get a created by credit.

Koroush Ghazi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 December 2019 at 4:36pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Love it! Next, anyone who did the lettering or colouring on a particular character's comic-books can claim contributor status.

Not surprising really given the world we live in: if something is too hard, don't work harder to achieve it; make the achievement easier to attain!

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 December 2019 at 4:46pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

On the face of it, it's a dumb idea.  But then you bring up DAREDEVIL and it seems dumb that Bill Everett gets co-creator credit when he did one issue and his design elements were soon dropped, and then Wally Wood who really designed the Daredevil we all know gets no credit.

Yes, creation happens only once, but can it be an EXTENDED once?  Was the creation of Daredevil COMPLETE with that first issue or did it continue to Wood's redesign?

Stan Lee worked on Spider-Man with Jack Kirby first, but Kirby's design was rejected.  Ditko is co-creator because his version actually saw print.  If Kirby's version had appeared in the first issue, but then Ditko came along and redesigned everything in the second, would Kirby still get the credit?

And it's really hard not to give Miller some credit when the elements he added to DAREDEVIL are now in the character's DNA.

Ah, I just wish Wood had been assigned DAREDEVIL from the get-go, and also stuck around longer.

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 December 2019 at 5:05pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Contributing to an existing character, no matter how much it greatly improves him/her, does not make someone a co-creator.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 December 2019 at 5:09pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Yes, creation happens only once, but can it be an EXTENDED once?  Was the creation of Daredevil COMPLETE with that first issue or did it continue to Wood's redesign?

=====================================================

The origin, characters, and concept were established in the 1st issue by Lee and Everett. There were changes after that (the costume and later what Frank Miller did to the character), but they built on the core that was created.

If we take that route, then Iron Man would be another example where Goodwin, Colan, Tuska, Michelinie, Layton, Romita, Jr., etc. would fall in to that category.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 December 2019 at 5:17pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Well, I guess maybe a situation like gold/atomic age Marvel Boy who becomes whatever they named him in a '70s Fantastic Four (Crusader? I even have that issue someplace) and then another guy gets the costume who looks just like him ans becomes Quasar... but then he's back to Marvel Boy apparently and Quasar is someone else or, the guy who took over and stays Quasar but looking totally different from Marvel Boy, and, ah, forget it unless someone makes a Quasar movie.

Daredevil is also confusing as it's been the Wally Wood costume from #7 circa 1965 onward with the old one seen only a very few times (less than Iron Man's original grey or gold chunky suits).

I thought Kirby did do the cover of the first Spider-Man appearance, but then the costume was Ditko's design... wasn't it?

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 02 December 2019 at 5:18pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 December 2019 at 5:33pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I think it's a firm no as far as simple being an influential storyteller goes. If you've added great villains to the rogue's gallery, say, then you've created those characters. You weren't involved in the creation of the original character.

I'm less firm about it if you've made major material changes to the character that are now recognised as core aspects. I'm not talking about longer ears for Batman or even designing the black Spider-Man costume. But let's say War Machine. Or Hellcat. Or Phoenix.

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 December 2019 at 6:43pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

They're contributors not creators..  Heck, I even have a problem with Wolfman and Perez being listed as the creators of Nightwing. 

Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version