Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: First 45 Comics you owned. Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 February 2021 at 10:23am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

OK,let me explain this title. I recently stumbled on a website that had the covers of Marvel comics and got a rush of nostalgia when I saw an  Amazing Spider-man comic that I had as a child. I starting thinking  about how as a kid I bought them in a pack of 3 in the grocery store  (we didn’t have a comic shop or newsstands that sold comics)

So I went thru this website looking at covers and re-created the  three  packs I bought as a kid. (yeah, I know. Not a good use of mytime. But  it’s my time and I use it as I please.) So here are the  first 45 comics I  bought to the best of my knowledge.

These  3 packs were in a clear plastic bag with two covers facing  outward on  each side. But the one in the middle… you could never tell  what you  would get.

Looking thru these covers Spider-Man, Ghost Rider, Thor and Conan  were the comics I gravitated towards. I remember them being my  favorites at the time.

When ROM shows up in my collection it was always because it was  the middle comic.

Even though I didn’t know it at the time I see a few Roger Stern  and  John Byrne stories. Still a fan of both these men because of  these  comics.

But this also explains to me why I never liked the X-Men as a  child.  These two issues just confused me, I had no idea who anybody  was or  what was going on in the stories.

All of these comics (except for ROM ;-p) still hold a special  place in my  heart. What about everyone else? Do you have memories of  the first  comics you owned?

Back to Top profile | search

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 February 2021 at 10:40am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

The first actual comic I remember owing is AS-M 229. Part one of a
two-parter featuring Spider-Man against Juggernaut. By Stern/JRjr. It’s
still my favorite single issue of a comic ever. I got it in a trade at school.
Took me over 20 years to get part two.

Sometime after that, I got X-MEN SPECIAL EDITION 1. The GSX-M 1
reprint. Never knew how I got it, but down the rabbit hole I went.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 27 February 2021 at 10:45am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

This sent me to the Grand Comicbook Data Base on a quest to see how many covers I could remember--and, of course, it turned out to be a reminder of how wretched was the distribution in my part of Canada when I was a kid.

The first American comic I bought off the rack was BATMAN 119 (Cvr Oct 1958). Next BATMAN was 122 (March 1959), followed by 124 (June 59) and 127 (Oct 59). So, a whole year, and only four issues--pretty miserable pickings, even allowing that BATMAN was a twice-quarterly book (8 times a year).

SUPERMAN did about as badly, starting with 132 (Oct 1959), followed by 134 (Jan 1960) and 134 (Jan 1960), 135 (Feb 1960) and 138 (July 1960).

As you can see, it would take a LONG time to count up my first 45 comics! (It's a testament to the captivating power of those old comics that I even became a fan at all!!)

Joseph Gauthier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 February 2021 at 12:38pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I really love this topic, Richard, thanks for posting it...and the really, really strange thing is that I literally just came to the sight to post a very similar topic! There was a discussion in another thread about an in-house ad Marvel ran announcing JB's arrival on the X-Men. It got me thinking about how so many of my first comic book purchases were driven by such ads.
As such, I used Mikes Amazing World of Comics to identify all the comics I bought off the spinner rack during my first six months of comic book reading (two pharmacies and one book store in my home town).
My list is exactly forty comics (sorry), and I'm not sure that they are exactly the first forty--I quickly learned that you could find back issues at garage sales and flea markets--but they are the first forty I bought off the rack!
And just as I recalled, many of my purchases were indeed driven by really cool in-house ads...I'm sure many of you can identify which ones I'm talking about!
I also remember which store I bought which comic from, where I read it etc. I even recall the agony of not having enough lawn-mowing money to buy each comic that caught my eye, and the agonizing choices I had to make as a result. For instance I had no idea who Matt Wagner was, but I desperately needed to know what he did to the Demon...I just didn't have enough money to find out!

Firestorm 53
DP7 1
Firestorm 54
Justice 1
Web of Spider-man 21
Cosmic Boy 1
DP7 2
Action Comics 584
Cosmic Boy 2
DP7 3
Legends 3
Marvel Tales 3
Superman 1
Batman 404
Cosmic Boy 3
DP7 4
Fantastic Four vs The X-Men 1
Firestorm 56
Legends 4
Action Comics 586
Batman 405
Captain Atom 1
Cosmic Boy 4
DP7 5
Fantastic Four vs The X-Men 2
Fantastic Four vs The X-Men 3
Firestorm 57
Legends 5
Strange Tales 1
Superman 3
X-Men vs Avengers 1
Action Comics 587
Batman 406
Captain Atom 2
DP7 6
Firestorm 58
Justice League of America 261
Shazam 1
Superman 4
X-Men vs Avengers 2

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 February 2021 at 12:40pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

First comic I bought with my pocket money (as opposed to first comic that someone bought for me):

First Marvel comic I bought (it was a UK reprint):

First few American imports I remember buying (these three I picked up at a newsagents):

This was the first comic I remember buying from an actual comic shop:

Paul Kimball
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 February 2021 at 12:43pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

wow Peter, that Daredevil cover is just amazing.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 27 February 2021 at 12:46pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

See, I deliberately skipped the British comics I bought when still living there. ROBIN and BEANO have little to no meaning for most readers outside that country.

Richard Fisher
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 February 2021 at 12:54pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Funny, so far except for JB we all started in the 80s. (If the books bought were current)
Ah, what a time to be reading comics (for me anyway)

Doing research on the 3 packs, it seems these books were about 9 months after they were first released. So I bought all of mine in 1983-84.

Oh, and you're welcome Joseph.

Edited by Richard Fisher on 02 March 2021 at 5:55pm

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 February 2021 at 1:00pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Yeah, I skipped out a lot of British comics.... They used to come out weekly and I collected Eagle and Battle Action Force for a few years before I started getting into Marvel. Marvel UK had Secret Wars and Spider-Man going for a while, which both carried back-up tales (notably the first few 9 issues of Alpha Flight appeared in Secret Wars). That's why when I walked into a newsagents in late 1985/early 1986 and saw Alpha Flight #29, I bought it. The timing was rotten though -- just as JB left!

Paul Reis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 February 2021 at 1:15pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

i've tried, many times, but i cannot come up with my 1st "purchases" - early on i just read what my older brother and the neighbor kid across the street bought.

i distinctly remember Fantastic Four #3 in there - i liked it a lot, they didn't

i also remember Amazing Adventures #2 with Manoo - this is when i started my love of Kirby (i'm sure this was well beyond when it was sold at the newstand)

after i did buy my own comics i remember: Spider-Man #20(Scorpion), Captain America #105(Batroc/Swordsman/Living Laser), Strange Tales #135(1st SHEILD) mostly because these were read and reread and reread in the back seat of the car during the 8 hour trip to see "family" that was usually called "vacation".

i only started buying by collecting pop bottles and milk jugs and cashing them in at the grocery store - i never got an allowance.

Edited by Paul Reis on 27 February 2021 at 1:17pm

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 February 2021 at 3:07pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Memory is a funny thing.
Until a few short years ago I had not seen "my" comics since they were sold off back in '82.
Yet, after discovering Mike's Amazing World, I could spot those comics I had bought off the rack immediately and without doubt. Though I had comics received during that same period from friends and neighbors the ones bought off the rack triggered a different sort of memory response, smell, touch. Maybe just the process of making my way to the drug store and making that decision on how to spend my quarter burned those comics into my brain differently.

Atlas:
Brute #2
Destructor #3
Phoenix #3
Cougar #2
Tiger-Man #3
Wulf #4

DC:
Brave and the Bold #118
Beowulf #2
Superman #288,289
Tarzan #238
Batman #265
JLA #120

Marvel:
Giant Size Avengers #4
Fantastic Four #159
Marvel Tales #59
Hulk #188
Iron Man #75
Power Man #25
Frankenstein Monster #17
Giant Size X-Men #1
Werewolf by Night #31
Spider-Man #147

What a great time it was to be a kid!

Noticing how I must have been "taste testing" back then. This is about 3 months worth and I only bought one title twice (Superman)!

Edited by Doug Centers on 27 February 2021 at 3:11pm

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 February 2021 at 3:08pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Mine were definitely Marvel UK comics in the ‘70s.

We started @ Mighty World of Marvel 1 & bought all of them from there
on in.

I remember that when they released the comic (THE SUPER-
HEROES) that had both Silver Surfer & the X-Men, I asked for the X-
Men & one of my brothers asked for the Silver Surfer.

None of us realised it was one comic split in two. The argument that
caused was spectacular. No one argues like under 10 year old
brothers.

We bought American comics when we went to the seaside, but I didn’t
buy them monthly until the mid ‘80s (& yes, those Mazzuchelli
Daredevils were incredible).

We also bought a lot of the British comics like Battle, Action (the most
violent comic written - it made national tv for its depiction of violence in
stories such as Hook Jaw - essentially Jaws but with a great big hook
sticking out of it), occasionally some humour comics such as Buster.

Our house had a ridiculous amount of comics, up there were four boys.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version