Posted By: Gerry Turnbull
Date Posted: 17 September 2007 at 5:08am

-------------

Date Posted: 17 September 2007 at 5:09am

-------------

Posted By: JohnByrne4
Date Posted: 17 September 2007 at 6:06am

This is, of course, the issue that was micromanaged by Shooter. Every line of art and script was fully and completely approved. Then I announced I was going to do Superman, and suddenly chunks of it had to be redrawn by Jackson Guice and rewritten by Claremont.

Which is why I had my name taken off it. Shooter then insisted that I would receive no royalties on that issue, since my name not being on it meant that I did not contribute to the sales. I wonder if he thought that would bluff me into changing my stance?

Date Posted: 17 September 2007 at 6:39am

i had wondered why your name wasnt  on it

-------------

Posted By: Thanos Kollias
Date Posted: 17 September 2007 at 6:40am

Aha!!!!! Finally, I learn the truth about one of the things that bugged me in this issue. The credits annoyed me very much back then. I would have loved it to read John Byrne's and Terry Austin's names side by side again and got deprived of this little pleasure.

The other thing that bugged me was that some of the Phoenix scenes didn't look like Byrne. Of course, we all know, thanks to this board, that they weren't, so that's also answered.

Easily one of my most favorite issues of all time. I particularly love the fake Phoenix on the cover. Brilliant!

-------------

Date Posted: 17 September 2007 at 6:49am

I mostly accepted Shooter's trompling all over this issue as my "punishment" for doing Superman -- tho I had written a letter to Marvel's then-head honcho, Mike Hobson, announcing my new plans, along with my hope to continue on the FF. Mike responded with a glowing letter of encouragement, saying he hoped the Superman project was a huge success, as anything that benefitted DC would ultimately benefit the industry as a whole. (This is called "classy".)

Shooter, in the meantime, continued to snipe at the FF, so I ultimately left the book just to spare Mike Carlin the constant barrage of nitpicks. Then Shooter fired Carlin saying it was Mike's fault "Byrne left".

The thing that bugged me the most, tho, was Claremont's rewriting. Of course, Shooter got Claremont to do it, as he knew that would be twisting the knife. But Chris completely lost the characterization on Jean, writing her not as she had been prior to X-MEN 100, but as she was portrayed in the Phoenix issues.

Some day, like "The Untold Tale of the Phoenix", perhaps there will be a "special edition" of this issue restored to what I intended it to be.

Posted By: stuart knight
Date Posted: 17 September 2007 at 6:52am

I thought the art was different than before. When I read this I did ask myself, could Sue truly contain the power of Jean Grey/Phoenix?

-------------
http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=13133 - - Qualis artifex pereo

Posted By: Michael Penn
Date Posted: 17 September 2007 at 6:59am

Redrawn and rewritten. As a "punishment" too. Horrible. Beyond so.

Date Posted: 17 September 2007 at 7:00am

…could Sue truly contain the power of Jean
Grey/Phoenix?

•••

Probaby not. But that doesn't happen in this issue.
The actual Phoenix does not appear. Only Jean.

Posted By: Al Cook
Date Posted: 17 September 2007 at 7:21am

The last panel of the twelfth page ("I'm alive...I am Phoenix") that Gerry
posted doesn't look like your work -- any other art on these pages that's not
you?

-------------

Posted By: Andrew Hess
Date Posted: 17 September 2007 at 7:25am

All of this micromanagement, and yet you held on for another half dozen
issues.

You're a strong man, JB.

Posted By: Vinny Valenti
Date Posted: 17 September 2007 at 8:20am

I have to admit, that outside of the final panel with Dark Phoenix, I always thought it was JB's art in that sequence - up until I first read about the changes. Either Jackson Guice did a pretty decent Byrne, or Terry Austin managed to make it look more like JB's art.

I do notice that the lettering in that sequence is not the work of credited letterer John Workman.

A question - the other imaged recorded alongside Jean's in the crystal - what was that supposed to be?

Posted By: Josh Goldberg
Date Posted: 17 September 2007 at 8:26am

JB, can you tell us what changes were made to this issue?

Posted By: Juan Jose Colin Arciniega
Date Posted: 17 September 2007 at 8:36am

Wow...this is one of the most powerful issues of Mr. Byrne's run, and now it's our chance to know more about the genesis of this book.

BTW, Mr. Byrne, is it true Kurt Busiek's story about that he inspired the story of this issue?

-------------

Posted By: Al Cook
Date Posted: 17 September 2007 at 8:41am

From the "Unpublished Art" Gallery:

-------------

Posted By: Chris Blaise
Date Posted: 17 September 2007 at 8:48am

The micromanagement explains a lot.

The first time I read it I thought it seemed very "off" the usual Byrne FF artwork and writing. 

Date Posted: 17 September 2007 at 8:52am

As you all know by now, Chris was never able to let go of the changes that were forced upon us in X-MEN 137. Luckily, I was able to take a step back, look at the finished product, and realize it was actually better than what we had planned. But Chris has spent all the years since trying to "undo" 137 -- most pointedly by changing Phoenix into a benevolent force that was corrupted by Jean's humanity (not even close to the original point!).

In this issue as I wrote and drew it, Phoenix is portrayed as a malevolent entity, in keeping with what Chris and I had developed in the process of doing what became the "Dark Phoenix Saga". (Remember Princess Lilandra's comments that she had feared all along that Phoenix would go bad? That was a bit of retofitting we did to make our story work.) When Chris was brought in to do the rewrite, he went with the version of Phoenix he was trying to make out of the original. All these years later, of course, few people (probably not even Chris himself!) truly remember, if they ever even knew, what that original really was.

Date Posted: 17 September 2007 at 8:52am

Oh, and yes, the idea that Jean was not Phoenix
came from a young fan named Kurt Busiek.

Posted By: Bruce Buchanan
Date Posted: 17 September 2007 at 8:53am

This is, of course, the issue that was micromanaged by Shooter. Every line of art and script was fully and completely approved. Then I announced I was going to do Superman, and suddenly chunks of it had to be redrawn by Jackson Guice and rewritten by Claremont.

That's just mean-spirited, vindictive behavior on Shooter's part.

I've seen similar things happen in other industries - a person announces they are moving on to a different employer, so they get mistreated on the way out. It's completely uncalled for, though. You had given Marvel everything they had paid you for and then some. Heck, you even wanted to stay on the FF and when you couldn't, you still left in a professional manner. Not sure why Shooter couldn't return the same courtesy.

Posted By: CJ Grebb
Date Posted: 17 September 2007 at 10:12am

I knew we'd get to this one eventually.

This was the first Byrne comic I ever bought. And I must admit the only reason I bothered (I was not an FF fan, back then) was because I wanted all of the issues associated with X-Factor.

I remember quite clearly being blown away by the art. Looking back, I think I was only then starting to really be able to recognize good comic art from bad, and although concepts such as layout and storytelling were more or less unknown to me, something about the way this art looked "clicked" in my head.

The page with Sue waking up was a particular standout. I really couldn't believe how well-drawn her head was. Not the linework. I mean how the construction of the head - the anatomy - was "right." It looked symetrical, not wobbly or doughy like so many artists of the day. The eyes were in the right place, the mouth was in the right place, etc. The last panel on that page really blew me away as well. To this day, I don't have the command of human anatomy to be able to draw a head from the 3/4 above angle that Captain America's head is drawn. At that age, it was like seeing a magic trick. Now I can also see how well designed that panel is, with Hercules selling the weightlessness and the eye being drawn left to right to sell the idea of Reed's arm stretching.

I instantly searched for the artist in the credits. Imagine my surprise. Luckily, I was also a regular Marvel Age collector, and by looking through past issues, it was no trick to find out that this Byrne guy had drawn it (although in my head, I was pronouncing it "By-ron".)

Ironically, I followed JB to Man of Steel, and never picked up FF again for MANY years. If Shooter hadn't insisted on the crossover, I probably never would have given DC so much business.

Date Posted: 17 September 2007 at 11:05am

…in my head, I was pronouncing it "By-ron"…

•••

At least that makes sense! "Brine" is the one that
mystifies me!

Date Posted: 17 September 2007 at 11:06am

If Shooter hadn't insisted on the crossover…

•••

Shooter didn't insist on the crossover. Roger Stern and I cooked it up and presented it to him. That was our mistake. That was when he started micromanaging.

Posted By: Aric Shapiro
Date Posted: 17 September 2007 at 11:09am

Brine?  I can't imagine anyone coming up with that.  I said Byron until someone corrected me about five years ago or so.

Still, nothing should suprise me when it comes to destroying names.  I have so much trouble with "Ari"  Your name is what?  Rai?  Ira?  Ori?  3 stupid letters

-------------

Posted By: Brian Peck
Date Posted: 17 September 2007 at 11:40am

Here are the slightly larger versions of the unpublished pages I own (still
have never seen either of the other two unpublished pages from the
flashback).

A scan of one of the pages after the flashblack which was published but
had heavy edits.

I am currently looking to put this book back together (ya that might be
impossible) so if anyone knows where any of the original pages are,
please drop me an e-mail. You can see the rest of the original pages I
own from the book up in my caf:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryRoom.asp?GSub=25667

-------------

Posted By: Matt Hawes
Date Posted: 17 September 2007 at 11:50am

JB wrote:
...Then I announced I was going to do Superman, and suddenly chunks of it had to be redrawn by Jackson Guice and rewritten by Claremont.

Which is why I had my name taken off it...

It was really disingenous of Shooter to use the credit "You know who," as if we fans were too stupid to realize there was a change in art and story on several pages. I knew right off the bat that something was different. In fact, I believe I had the art pegged as being Jackson Guice.

JB, do you think that Claremont's whole deal with making the Phoenix a benevolent force, and Jean the corruptor, stems from his having had a hand in creating Phoenix, so it was "his" character, while Jean was not?

-------------

Date Posted: 17 September 2007 at 11:55am

You, me and a few others might have known the flashback wasn't by John
but when I show people my two unpublished pages from the issue. Tell the
story of it being redrawn and rewriten by someone else they are surprised.
With Terry having such a strong inking style he did help mask that it was a
different penciler.

-------------

Posted By: Sam Karns
Date Posted: 17 September 2007 at 12:09pm

Good Luck, Brian.  I heard about the controversy for quite sometime, and I'm glad you're willing to step up the plate to push forward on this restoration.

Date Posted: 17 September 2007 at 12:20pm

It was really disingenous of Shooter to use the credit "You know who," as if we fans were too stupid to realize there was a change in art and story on several pages.

•••

Again, that wasn't Shooter, that was me. It was my "homage" to Jim Steranko, who'd had his name removed from an issue of X-MEN, and replaced with "Do We Really Have to Tell You?".

Posted By: CJ Grebb
Date Posted: 17 September 2007 at 12:21pm

Shooter didn't insist on the crossover.

Amazing how easily I made that assumption - in two weeks the story will go that Shooter held the two of you at gunpoint to get you to do it, and I'll have no one to blame but myself for starting yet another incorrect, internet-fueled "Dark Overlord Jim Shooter" legend.

Any idea how they were planning on bringing Jean back if it HADN'T been in the FF?

Posted By: Mark Haslett
Date Posted: 17 September 2007 at 12:28pm

Well jeez-

NOW this story finally makes sense to me.  Seeing Jean Grey force the Phoenix force to take her identity by using her psychic abilities at the very last moment has drama, character and heroism.

The printed version had the feeling of a parenthetical.  I never warmed to X-Factor, and never felt an emotional attachment to the returned Jean.

These "lost" pages provide what I was missing-- the sacrifice and heroism that would mean the Phoenix character I had loved was a burning avatar of what was great about Jean Grey-- while the real Jean Grey was still alive and allowed to return.

With the "mother of stars" phoenix, the result is that Phoenix and Jean Grey became too similar for me to grasp the distinction.  I knew Phoenix had been a copy and Jean was now alive-- but it felt contrived to me without these vital elements of conflict, sacrifice and heroism.

Thanks to the posters of these pages-- I feel something terrific has been restored for me.

Date Posted: 17 September 2007 at 12:30pm

JB, do you think that Claremont's whole deal with making the Phoenix a benevolent force, and Jean the corruptor, stems from his having had a hand in creating Phoenix, so it was "his" character, while Jean was not?

••

The whole idea of turning Phoenix into a villain sprang from her getting more and more "screen time", effectively turning the X-Men into fifth wheels in their own book. I complained about it. The editors complained about it. Shooter complained about it. But Chris kept turning up the Phoenix power, even in scenes I specifically drew hoping he would not be able to.

Finally it was Steven Grant who said "Why not just make her a villain?" Chris embraced this idea instantly. I can still remember the call when he told me what we were now going to do. I was resistant at first, but soon saw that any kind of status quo being restored to UNCANNY X-MEN would mean sacrificing Jean. And, there were plenty of ways she could be "redemed" later, if need be. I suggested Mastermind as the engine by which the "evilization" could be accomplished.

So Chris started setting up the Phoenix as an evil entity, held in check by Jean's humanity, until Mastermind corrupted Jean, and unleashed the true face of the Phoenix.

But then Shooter decided Phoenix had to die. We had told him about the destruction of the "asparagus people", and he had okayed it (he now claims he was not paying attention -- excellent doing of your fucking job there, big guy!), but when the pages came in he said no, no, no, she's a killer, she must be punished.

As I have mentioned elsewhere, "punished" meant taken to a prison asteroid and horribly tortured for all eternity. To that I said "No way!" (in somewhat more colorful language), "I'd sooner kill her!" So the ending of 137 was redone, and Phoenix died.

And that's when the trouble really started. Because Chris could not let it go. "Why did Phoenix have to die, but Galactus doesn't?" he demanded. I pointed to the Watcher's famous speech about Galactus not being evil, while Phoenix, we had established, was. So Chris started his unending campaign to make Phoenix "good" and human nature "evil". This gave us the unapproved appearance of the FF in X-MEN, so Lilandra can read the riot act to Reed. (This also gave us Shooter once more at his most hypocritical: "Thou shalt not use other office's characters without permission!" But they used the FF without permission! "Tough. Write a story about it.")

And so it went, and so it goes.

Date Posted: 17 September 2007 at 12:31pm

Any idea how they were planning on bringing Jean
back if it HADN'T been in the FF?

•••

They weren't. It was me, in my innocence, who went
into Shooter's office one day and said "I hear you're
planning to do a new book with the original X-Men.
There's a way to get Jean back, if you want her."

Date Posted: 17 September 2007 at 12:39pm

JB,
Even with everyone mucky with Jean, I am glad you (and a number of others)
brought her back. Of course now she has been "killed" a few times after
that, wonder when she will be back.

-------------

Posted By: Sam Karns
Date Posted: 17 September 2007 at 12:41pm

Never knew the EGOs were so huge even in the comic industry.  That was madness, I can see why you were upset at times; they would rather do what they want than do what was established.

Posted By: Greg Kirkman
Date Posted: 17 September 2007 at 1:24pm

Even since seeing the unpublished pages here on this site some time ago, I've vastly preferred the original version of the story. Phoenix is inherently evil, but Jean uses her psi-powers to imprint her own personality on Phoenix so as to turn it into a true duplicate of her. And that copy proves to have Jean's own courage in the end, when it kills itself to save the universe.

Brilliant. And way better than "Hi, I'm Phoenix! I'm going to heal you and then turn myself into a dupilcate of you--with a part of your consciousness inside me at no extra charge!"

-------------

Date Posted: 17 September 2007 at 1:32pm

I have long maintained that the Jean who died on the Moon being a copy made the story even stronger. Many fans, alas, cannot see this (since it means change, and change is evil unless they approve). They would rather have the human spirit be weak and corrupt, and have poisoned the Phoenix force, than have it be so strong that even a copy could compell the Phoenix to do the right thing.

And I say this as someone who thinks human beings are basically, you know, animated pond scum.

Date Posted: 17 September 2007 at 1:36pm

I don't think I've ever read the original JB set of pages.

So much more potent than what we all read originally.

wow

Posted By: Steven McCauley
Date Posted: 17 September 2007 at 1:36pm

Wow -- those pages work so much better.

Date Posted: 17 September 2007 at 1:42pm

Brilliant. And way better than "Hi, I'm Phoenix! I'm going to heal you and then turn myself into a dupilcate of you--with a part of your consciousness inside me at no extra charge!"

Exactly-- it's like a comedy sketch.  "Hey there, are you busy?"  "Not really, I'm pretty sure I'm about to die." "Oh, bummer that.  Maybe I can help."  "Why, who are you?"  "Oh, I'm a god-like force that no one's ever heard of or called out to before-- but you called out to me.  At least I think you did... What number were you dialing?"  etc.

The Phoenix/Jean exchange as printed presents Jean with no additional dilemma or conflict.  It's just a gift from that ol' debil Deus Ex Etc.

Date Posted: 17 September 2007 at 1:45pm

I guess this thread counts as a Pyhrric victory!

Date Posted: 17 September 2007 at 1:49pm

JB said:
". . . And I say this as someone who thinks human beings are basically, you
know, animated pond scum."

And some people are scummier than others.

Posted By: Jim Muir
Date Posted: 17 September 2007 at 1:53pm

Slight thread drift - I apologise in advance.....

But, are ALL of JBs FF collected together in one volume? I discovered JB on X-men, then followed him to FF, but comic books were getting harder and harder to find at that point in the UK  (the birth of speciality shops I guess) so I never did finish JB's run.

Date Posted: 17 September 2007 at 1:55pm

Not in one volume. (Lordy, I would love an
ESSENTIAL!)

Posted By: David Ferguson
Date Posted: 17 September 2007 at 2:01pm

How far have the Essential FFs gotten?

Edit: looked it up - the end of Stan's run issue 137.

At one a year, 25ish issues....

I plan to pick up volume 7 (of 7) of your FF: visionairies when it comes out in the mean time.

Posted By: Ken Holmstrom
Date Posted: 17 September 2007 at 2:07pm

Essential FF Volume 6 came out a few months back.  It takes you up to issue #137.  Long way to go until you hit JB's issues!

Posted By: Ron Sluyter
Date Posted: 17 September 2007 at 2:15pm

Thank you for posting those pages Al and Brian.  After all these years I can have a sigh of relief- like a weight was lifted off my shoulders.  The "you called and I answered" line always bothered me, and Jean was made to look weak.  JB, rest assured, what you had planned was much better than the end result.      

Posted By: David Ferguson
Date Posted: 17 September 2007 at 2:22pm

Long way to go until you hit JB's issues!

Around 2010 for the first run and 2016 for the second (guestimates!)

Posted By: Thanos Kollias
Date Posted: 17 September 2007 at 2:55pm

Here's another page, with the original dialogue on it:

-------------

Posted By: Jeff Albertson
Date Posted: 17 September 2007 at 3:00pm

Thanks for the look at the original art pages, Brian (and Thanos)!  Nice stuff!

Bringing Jean back at all seems like a cheat to me, but if it was going to happen, I would have preferred the JB less ambiguous humanity's good triumphs approach slightly better than Chris Claremont's humanity has good and bad approach. 

Definitely, the resurrection makes the original story much less compelling to me.  I as a reader don't feel the emotion anymore, because the knowledge that Jean's alive and well and that the X-Men are better off without the Phoenix Force around to go bad (regardless of whether it was intentionally bad or whether Jean's personality couldn't handle it and got corrupted).   A sign that re-reading old stories with new information is a mixed blessing, I guess.

BUT, when I read it the first time?  WOW!  This story was mind-blowing.  I was naive enough to figure that there was no way that Jean could be brought back, and when I saw the cover I had to grab this comic.  Extra-length and beautiful art (well, most of it -- I couldn't quite figure out what was off on the Guice pages -- but I had trouble figuring out that Murphy Anderson inked the Olsen and Superman heads in Kirby's Jimmy Olsen, also).  Readers definitely got their money's worth on this issue.

Posted By: David Miller
Date Posted: 17 September 2007 at 3:05pm

JB: Did you discuss the contents of FF 286 with Claremont, either during the writing or some time since?  

-------------

Posted By: Michael Arndt
Date Posted: 17 September 2007 at 3:06pm

I agree Jeff. When I first saw this issue I was so excited. Not only is Jean Grey coming back but here is a comic with no ads and JB goodness to boot.

Never knew about the pages or dialouge being replaced. Looking back now I wish they would have done things as JB did or just not even bring the character back.

Date Posted: 17 September 2007 at 3:46pm

Here's another page, with the original dialogue on it:

...and it just keeps getting better.  Now Reed faces an actual dilemma too-- which one is this?  Readers would have naturally asked too-- knowing that "Jean" sacrificed herself on the Moon, that the dead one would at least momentarily appear to be the real one in answer to Reed's question...

This original version gets the point across so much more forcefully.  I finally "get" what you saw in this story JB.  I confess I always liked the idea (as you explained it) of even a copy of Jean being good enough to destroy the Phoenix force better than the execution.  Now I know why you always thought it actually enhanced what had come before-- what you wrote DID enhance it.

Posted By: Chris Durnell
Date Posted: 17 September 2007 at 6:42pm

I peg this as the issue where everything begins to go downhill.  I thought the resurrection of Jean Grey to be a huge mistake.  Perhaps if JB's original intention was followed, the damage could have been contained, but I would have preferred her to never come back.

I don't put any of the damage on the people directly involved with this issue.  They had no control over what would happen.  But for me, the rot begins here.

But I really like the Byrne/Austin art on the pages it does appear.

Posted By: Dan Burke
Date Posted: 17 September 2007 at 7:20pm

I totally bought resurrection... hook, line and sinker.  I think I was so eager to see Jean back that anything was fine by me.

I even liked (the original) Maddie Pryor...

But these pages you've posted here are lightyears stronger storywise

Posted By: Ben Schwartz
Date Posted: 17 September 2007 at 7:44pm

In those pre-internet days, was there "buzz" ahead of time regarding Jean Grey's return?  Was the cover image and text a major shocker(or spoiler?) to those buying comics at the time?

Posted By: Kevin Hagerman
Date Posted: 17 September 2007 at 8:07pm

Vinny Valenti wrote:
A question - the other imaged recorded alongside Jean's in the crystal - what was that supposed to be?

I was hoping no one would ask, and then I was hoping someone else would answer, but it looks like I get to be the bearer of bad plots.  Here's what happened to the crystal: Kandor Syndrome.

Date Posted: 17 September 2007 at 8:13pm

Before Avengers #263 or Fantastic Four #286 came out there was an
article in Marvel Age #33 (I think) where they talked about the new X-
Factor series and the return of the original X-Men. Many of the
promational images showed the rest of the X-Men but blocked Jean:

http://cartgallery.jeangrey.com/wantlist/x-factro-prelim-des igns.jpg - Marvel Age teaser #1 http://cartgallery.jeangrey.com/wantlist/xfactor1unpubGL.jpg - Marvel Age teaser #2

Many people thought Pheonix was coming back not Jean.

-------------

Posted By: Peter Svensson
Date Posted: 17 September 2007 at 8:32pm

It's funny. I was looking through the old usenet archives about this issue's response, and some of the fans thought that JB had taken his name off the issue in protest of Jean's resurrection. How wrong they were.

Date Posted: 17 September 2007 at 9:38pm

One day, it would be cool to see "Fantastic Four #286: The John Byrne Cut" published.

-------------

Posted By: Ron Farrell
Date Posted: 17 September 2007 at 9:45pm

JB, your FF version is indeed better than the published one.

I still believe that either version robs the entire run of X-MEN 100-137 of a great deal of its emotional power, not just Jean's death. The best portrayal ever of the Scott/Jean romance never really happened to Jean.

-------------
"Superhero comics aren't about rules. They're about flying." - Mark Waid

Posted By: Tim O Neill
Date Posted: 18 September 2007 at 1:17am

"...so I never did finish JB's run."

Neither did I. I'm buying these "FF Visionaries: JB" editions and they have been a great experience. I was pretty resentful when i picked up the latest edition (Vol. 7) that contains this story - only two regular issues of FF? X-Factor #1?

But now that I have read it, I'm glad I did. The two annuals (FF "Summons From the Stars" and Avengers' "Fifth Column") were a fantastic surprise out of left field. What a fantastic Skrull story. The Sinnott inks are a dream. And Kyle Baker inking JB with Roger Stern scripts - I never knew! It was a damn epic. On top of this, I had never read "Hero", and it is one of the best comics I have read.

But being such an X-Men fan, I was really anticipating this issue. I just read it this past weekend. I knew JB took his name off of it, so I avoided a few chances to read it in the last years. I guess I am one of those people who thought Jean died on the moon.

But I have to say it kept me on the edge of my seat and I bought into it. It's really a great idea and is a great evolution from Jean's Phoenix experience. I recently read the Omnibus and it really tied it together. But seeing the intended story, it could have been light years better. The above pages are much more direct, dramatic, and it feels more like Jean.

And I only had to wait two days to see them!

Posted By: Frank Gurstelle
Date Posted: 18 September 2007 at 7:20am

JB, your FF version is indeed better than the published one.

I still believe that either version robs the entire run of X-MEN 100-137 of a great deal of its emotional power, not just Jean's death. The best portrayal ever of the Scott/Jean romance never really happened to Jean.

I agree.  I recall when reading Jean's rebirth, all I could think about was that great scene in the desert where Jean and Scott were romantic, and then I thought, wait, that wasn't Jean! 

But, I understand the reality of the market.  It is a shame that X-Factor, the excuse for bringing Jean back, was so lame, right down to the concept of the original X-Men hunting mutants, but really secretly helping them. 

-------------
F.G.

Date Posted: 18 September 2007 at 7:30am

This thread is also serving to point up something that has gone very wrong with comics, particularly superhero comics, in the last thirty years or so. "When Jean came back, the first thing I thought of was a scene that appeared six years earlier."

That's so wrong, so very much against what made superhero comics work so well for all those years. Readerships was expected to turn over about every five years. No one was cataloging every detail of every story, tracking them to make sure they all "fit together". Superman could be a babe in arms when launched from Krypton, then a toddler, and editors and writers would know that those reading about the toddler were highly unlikely to have read about the babe in arms.

Superhero comics are supposed to be like a roller-coaster ride. When you take a particularly spectacular slide, you don't stop the car and back up to do it again. You race on in anticipation of the next one.

Posted By: uko smith
Date Posted: 18 September 2007 at 7:53am

I remember when your Alpha Flight #1 came out when I was a kid and the subsequent issues that followed made me want to get the back issues of your Xmen run due to the asterisk referencing that was made on AF. I also quite fondly remember the excitement that I had when reading back issues of Xmen that led up to the Death of Phoenix. In short, that storyline in particular was so powerful that I wish that Jean Grey was still around. Eventhough I missed her, I still think that it was better that she remained deceased in the comic world. IMO I think it sort of cheapens the original storyline a bit.

-------------

Posted By: Aaron Smith
Date Posted: 18 September 2007 at 7:58am

I've been thinking lately about what marks great storytelling. One thing, I think, that is especially noticable in comics, is that some stories are just so good, that even when one knows what happens later, and even if later stories completely undo past events, some stories still hold a full punch. The X-Men stories leading up to the death of Phoenix were just so well written and drawn, that even knowing that Jean came back eventually, and even knowing about all ther convoluted crap that came later, I can still go back and read those X-Men issues and feel the full impact of the story. That is good work!

Posted By: Michael Penn
Date Posted: 18 September 2007 at 8:46am

This mucking about with JB reminds me of that "West Wing" episode which expressed a simple thought applicable here -- LET BYRNE BE BYRNE.

I'm just speechless that a storyline, a character, he was so intimately connected to and fundamentally familiar with was crushed under heel. Terrible.

Posted By: Stephen Robinson
Date Posted: 18 September 2007 at 9:06am

This thread is also serving to point up something that has gone very wrong with comics, particularly superhero comics, in the last thirty years or so. "When Jean came back, the first thing I thought of was a scene that appeared six years earlier."

SER: This fan mentality came up during the Clone Saga. There was objection to the notion that the Spider-Man they had grown up reading was not the "real" one (the "irony" I suppose was that the Spider-Man revealed to be "real" was the one Ditko, Lee, and Romita had worked on).

If the comics audience turned over as it should, there probably wouldn't have been this reaction or at least Marvel might have been willing to "ride it out."

It's hard for comics to "escape" bad stories now because of the fannish belief that "every story and every scene" counts.

-------------

Posted By: James Henry
Date Posted: 18 September 2007 at 10:08am

This thread highlights the power of the internet message boards as platforms for information exchange and - of course - the greatness of the John Byrne Forum itself.  What a treat to get a real "behind the scenes" look at such an important event in the Marvel chronology!

-------------

Posted By: Jim Bracjey
Date Posted: 18 September 2007 at 10:15am

SER: This fan mentality came up during the Clone Saga. There was objection to the notion that the Spider-Man they had grown up reading was not the "real" one (the "irony" I suppose was that the Spider-Man revealed to be "real" was the one Ditko, Lee, and Romita had worked on).

If the comics audience turned over as it should, there probably wouldn't have been this reaction or at least Marvel might have been willing to "ride it out."

************************************************************ *************************************

The reason why the Clone Saga didn't work was because they changed Peter Parker into Ben Reilly.  Gone was the Daily Bugle supporting cast.  Gone was Aunt May (killed during this fiasco).  Instead we have a character who instead of being married and too old, we have a character that spent the last how-ever-many years wandering the Earth thinking he was a clone.  That's even LESS Spider-man-like.  It was a really bad plan.

Posted By: Bruce Buchanan
Date Posted: 18 September 2007 at 10:18am

Stephen, in that case, I think that "fan mentality" was for the best.

The Clone Saga was a really bad story and a bad idea on so many levels. In that case, fan uproar caused Marvel to do a 180 and restore Peter Parker (the same guy we had followed for 30+ years) as the real Spider-Man.

I agree with the notion that an older fanbase (like all of us here on the JBF, to be quite honest) does make it harder to get past bad stories. But in the case of the Clone Saga, that was a story that needed ending before it did any further damage to the Spider-Man franchise.

Posted By: Andy Mokler
Date Posted: 18 September 2007 at 11:19am

After all the discussion around here about uniform colors, did this panel stand out to anyone else?  I thought that it had been decided that the FF uniforms are actually black with blue highlights used in the coloring.

Date Posted: 18 September 2007 at 11:26am

I don't believe that the original outfits (the outfits that Jean refers to in the panel above) were ever supossed to be all black. It was JB's outfits (as Jean also refers to) that were black.

Not every outfit that was colored blue was supposed to be black. The outfits that JB mentions were outfits that were predominantly black in the early appearances, with blue highlights. The Fantastic Four's original outfits never really had large black areas, other than the gloves, boots, belts, and collars (those parts were black).

-------------

Date Posted: 18 September 2007 at 11:32am

Anyone encyclopedic enough to know which comic the meeting Jean talks about takes place?

Date Posted: 18 September 2007 at 11:38am

The last time I recall Jean Grey meeting the Fantastic Four "on panel" before "Uncanny X-Men" #101 would probably be in the "Avengers" when Yellowjacket married the Wasp ("Avengers" #60?).

Unless you count "X-Men: The Hidden Years," natch.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 September 2007 at 12:20pm

That's a lot earlier than I would have guessed.  Seems like they would have stumbled across each other's path in Marvel Team-Up or somesuch.  Of course, I don't have any particulars in mind so you're probably closer to the mark than me.

Date Posted: 18 September 2007 at 12:51pm

Remember, before the X-MEN became Marvel's biggest cash cow, the team were very much "outsiders". You could just about count all their pre-100 appearances in other titles without running out of fingers.

Date Posted: 18 September 2007 at 12:56pm

Andy, I was trying to think of an early-mid-Seventies meeting between the X-Men and the Fantastic Four, but I can't think of any offhand. Remember, the original X-Men's title was in a period of reprint for several years, and the X-Men only popped up occassionally in other titles at that time.

From roughly 1968 to 1975 I can't think of a story where the X-Men WITH Jean met up with the Fantastic Four outside of the issue of "The Avengers" I cited. The X-Men guest-starred in "Marvel Team-Up" (with Spider-Man), "Captain America," and later issues of "The Avengers," and a few members (not Jean) popped up in "The Incredible Hulk." I don't remember Jean being present in "Giant-Size Fantastic Four" #3 (I think that was the issue), when Jamie Maddrox first appeared.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 September 2007 at 12:57pm

Iron Fist #15 and the last issue of Marvel Team-Up are what pop into my head as possibilites.  I can't actually think of a time when the X-Men(Phoenix) pal'd around with the FF.

Date Posted: 18 September 2007 at 12:57pm

JB, as I was typing and checking on issues at the shop, JB basically made a point I mentioned. Heh.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 September 2007 at 12:59pm

Matt, I'm glad I don't have your memory.  I get to re-read my comics periodically and enjoy things that I'd forgotten.  Sheesh.  Amazing.

Date Posted: 18 September 2007 at 12:59pm

"Iron Fist" #15 would've been Phoenix, not Jean. That is Jean speaking in the panel from JB's "Fantastic Four" story. The last issue of "Marvel Team-Up" featured Rachel, not Jean and/or the original Phoenix.

Edited for clarity.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 September 2007 at 1:00pm

Andy wrote:
...Matt, I'm glad I don't have your memory.  I get to re-read my comics periodically and enjoy things that I'd forgotten.  Sheesh.  Amazing. ...

LOL! The thing is, I used to be better at remembering everything, including exact numbers. I am getting too old.

Edited to add: And another thing that hinders me as I grow older is that I don't re-read stories too often. Most of the comics I read I only read once when I first bought them.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 September 2007 at 1:07pm

Edited to add: And another thing that hinders me as I grow older is that I don't re-read stories too often. Most of the comics I read I only read once when I first bought them.

------------------------------------------------------------ ----------------------

That's why I pretty much quit buying too much new stuff.  I've got 30+ short boxes full of comics and bookcases full of paperbacks, novels, etc. that I won't ever get to, much less re-read.  Buying weekly books quickly get's out of hand in terms of storage.  I love 'em but the wallet and the square footage just isn't there.

Posted By: Wallace Sellars
Date Posted: 18 September 2007 at 2:45pm

Thanks for sharing those original pages, guys.  I'd love to have a copy of that issue done as JB intended.

Posted By: Brad Teschner
Date Posted: 18 September 2007 at 3:49pm

anybody know if these are the only re-scripted pages?  it appears based on the page numbers that one is missing...or did claremont and guice add a page?

Posted By: Larry Bonds
Date Posted: 19 September 2007 at 10:47am

I caught the point about the FF's costumes being black and not blue.  You beat me in making that point Andy.

But beside that point, JB brought up a good issue when he said:

I started thinking about the current stuff that's out now and what has come before in the last few years and realized that Spider-Man has been married for 20 years.  That between, the comics, movies, and cartoons the comic fans of today only know a married Spider-Man for example.

Even though that was a major change in the staus quo for the character, do you think fans are like this because the stories in general are just going on too long?  Or is it that there doesn't seem to be any downtime in comics anymore?  It just seems as though they go from one big event to the next without any time for character development anymore.

For example, the way JB handled Sue's miscarriage, was handled well.  Wasn't schlepped off in one issue, but was a gradual thing (until it was undone).  Maybe the best example of this was the way Star Trek handled Picard's assimilation into the Borg Collective. After all the action was done, he was back on Earth visiting his family.  Recovering from his ordeal.

Comic fans are thrust from one thing to the next, because the cause of one big event is usually the effect of the last big event.

-------------
"YOU KNOW I HAVE THE GUN, BUT YOU STILL GIVE ME THE BULLETS!"

Posted By: Jeff Albertson
Date Posted: 19 September 2007 at 11:24am

With all due respect, the story itself explicitly referred to a story that appeared six (or more -- wasn't X-Men 100 about 10 years before this story?) years earlier and told us that what we had seen happen hadn't happened in the way we thought.  How were readers not supposed to be reminded of that story?   If we hadn't been aware of the story, why would we have cared that Jean Grey was brought back?

I don't think it's that bad that writers tap into previous stories and include a sense of history, but it's a fine line between keeping things moving forward in a long-running series and keeping it faithful to what has come before.  Too much on one side and the series isn't really the same series anymore; too much on the other side, and the series is simply retelling old stories.

Posted By: Jonathan Weiss
Date Posted: 19 September 2007 at 2:23pm

Here's a little thread drift for ya...

JB, is that Plastic Man disguised as a chair in the Invisible Woman's bedroom
on page 5?

Posted By: Jeff Bell
Date Posted: 19 September 2007 at 8:25pm

This issue offers me an added bit of pleasure that dates back to my first days with the FF. I began reading in the mid-1970s (issue #166, the first of a two-part Thing/Hulk battle, when George Perez was illustrating).

A few months after I became a fan, I remember an issue where Ben stumbles upon Sue doing a multi-forcefield trick in a Danger Room-style exercise. He makes a crack something along the lines of "So, you're ready to take on Marvel Girl of the X-Men--one fall, winner take all?"

"What a cool idea," thought this nine-year-old kid.

A decade later, I was finally treated to that foreshadowed Invisible Woman/Marvel Girl bout.

Thanks, John--it was worth the wait.

Date Posted: 20 September 2007 at 5:54am

JB, is that Plastic Man disguised as a chair in the Invisible Woman's bedroom on page 5?

••

Why would it be?

Posted By: Jonathan Weiss
Date Posted: 20 September 2007 at 8:09am

Not sure really, maybe just for fun?

I'm colour-blind so maybe I'm way off but I remember when I first saw that
panel it reminded me of Plastic Man's costume and I had fond memories of
how when he'd warp into different objects his costume had to adapt to them.
That's all.

Posted By: Glenn Greenberg
Date Posted: 20 September 2007 at 12:58pm

deleted

-------------
Glenn Greenberg

Print Page | Close Window