Forum Name: The John Byrne Forum
Forum Discription: Everything to do with comic book writer/artist John Byrne
URL: https://www.byrnerobotics.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=42264
Printed Date: 15 May 2024 at 1:23am

Topic: 50 years of SPIDER-MAN!

Posted By: Greg Kirkman
Subject: 50 years of SPIDER-MAN!
Date Posted: 17 July 2012 at 4:41pm

Kinda surprised there hasn't been thread on this, yet.

This year marks the 50th anniversary of the publication of AMAZING FANTASY # 15, the first appearance of the ever-amazing Spider-Man (cover-dated August, 1962, released June 5, 1962).

Spider-Man is my single favorite comic book character. No other character has grabbed me in quite the same way. He's very easy to relate to--a geeky kid who has all sorts of everyday problems to deal with (but lets loose when he's behind the mask). And he has some of the coolest powers and equipment ever (not to mention my favorite costume design), as well as the richest supporting cast in comics.

There's just an...intimacy to the character, a personal aspect that a lot of others don't have. His life and his problems are very involving, so much so that the ongoing soap-opera of Parker's personal life can often be just as entertaining and engaging as the superheroics and the action.

And, in true underdog fashion, Spider-Man went from a one-shot character in a cancelled book to Marvel's top-seller and corporate mascot. Quite an accomplishment!

For me, these few images (and their accompanying word balloons) kinda of say it all. Remarkable that so much of the character and his world were set up in that first 11-page story.

Amazing Fantasy 15 - Spiderman - First Appearrance - Peter Parker - Rescue - Web Swinging - Jack Kirby

I've tracked down and collected every issue of every Spider-title from about 1962-1993 or so (with most of the first 40 issues of AMAZING in Masterworks form--everything else is original). One of these days, I'm gonna sit down and read 'em all in order, soaking in all of that history (good AND bad).

Certainly, the Lee/Ditko run is iconic and unsurpassed, but I also love the Lee/Romita, Conway/Andru, Stern/JR JR, and DeFalco/Frenz runs, among others.

Unfortunately, in the last few years, I've become completely disconnected from the character. My prime reading years were during the bloody Clone Saga, and, even then, at my young age, I was not at all pleased with that trainwreck of a storyline. Certainly, even before that, the problems had started. Moving Parker to college was the first step. The death of Gwen Stacy was another. The marriage was yet another.

Still, I maintain that many good Spider-Man stories were told thoughout all of those periods in his history. I don't think the core of the character really began to disintegrate until the 90s. I've pinpointed the exact moment when things truly and irrevocably began to go south for the character, in my humble opinion: the "return" of Parker's parents at the end of AMAZING # 365 (the 30th anniversary issue, interestingly enough). This led to "Lifetheft", "Pursuit", the "I am the Spider" nonsense, the Clone Saga, etc., etc., etc.

I did enjoy JB's CHAPTER ONE for what it was--a fun retelling of the old stories with a few new twists. Not that anything could ever top Lee/Ditko, of course. But that series certainly didn't offend me, as it seems to have offended others.

I hung around for the JB/Mackie reboot for awhile, and tried the JMS stuff (despite the Spider-Totem garbage in that run, JR JR's art was still gorgeous!), but "Sins Past" made me quit modern comics altogether. It was the last straw--a totally icky and shameful story that ruined several characters and mined history for shock value, with Gwen Stacy (a 40-years-dead character whom fans and writers just...won't...let...GO!) front and center. Again.

I've sort of kept tabs on events since then, but thinking of the sorry state of Spider-Man feels like a knife-wound in the chest that won't stop spurting blood! So, I've focused on other things in the past few years. But, losing my connection with my favorite character has been a hard thing to accept.

Now, however, that wound has scabbed over pretty well, and I recently found myself digging out the Masterworks and leafing through the Lee/Ditko run, which is still one of the top two best superhero comic runs ever, IMO (the other being Lee/Kirby's FF). Few characters are as FUN as Spider-Man in his prime. Good times or bad, Peter Parker is a guy you just have to root for.

Unfortunately, this revisting of old stories has also led me to check up on current events, and I see that nothing's changed. The current crop of "creators" continue to mine and destroy the character and his rich history.  Even if things someday come close to sanity and proper Spider-storytelling, I just don't think I could get attached to the book(s) ever again.

Certainly, 2008's deal with Mephisto to negate the marriage stands as one of the worst and most controversial Spider-stories ever (and, given what's gone down in the last two-plus decades--the Clone Saga, "The Other", CIVIL WAR, etc., that's saying something!).

Regardless of one's position on the marriage itself, I think we can all agree that the basic premise of that story was contrived, inappropriate, and shockingly out of character for everyone involved.

That aside, my recent, morbidly-curious research has unearthed a number of developments that just make me sad. To name but a few:

* Spider-Man as a member of the Avengers.

*Aunt May found in bed with--and later marrying--J. Jonah Jameson's father.

* John Jameson marrying the She-Hulk.

* J. Jonah Jameson becoming Mayor of NYC, and mutating into a spider-monster.

* Spider-Man having casual sex with the Black Cat while keeping his mask on.

* Peter Parker getting drunk.

* Peter and Mary Jane living together for a while prior to Brand New Day (but never having gotten married thanks to that little deal with the Devil).

* Mary Jane banging a drug-addicted actor.

* Flash Thompson losing his legs in Iraq. Flash Thompson as Venom.

* Mac Gargan as Venom, who kills kills and eats people (and Skrulls). Mac Gargan framing Jonah Jameson for murder by leaving a dead stripper in his bed.

* The resurrected Norman Osborn (a turn of events I still loathe) becoming the leader of the Thunderbolts--then S.H.I.E.L.D.--then his own "Dark" Avengers (whilst wearing Iron Man-esque armor), before killing the Skrull queen and invading Asgard.

ASGARD.

* Harry Osborn is back from the dead, and a divorcee who later knocks a chick up and fights Norman Osborn while wearing armor of his own, before getting shot in the chest by Norman and Gwen Stacy's bastard son.

And so on...

What.

The.

F***.

So, Spider-Man remains bogged down in ickyness, lack of proper characterization, and one idiotic and inappropriate stunt after another. And movies that misrepresent the character and his world to the general public. Big surprise.

Anyhoo, I've reached a point where I just don't care anymore. Spider-Man is a character who had his time, as are all my other favorites whom I no longer feel connected to. I don't see any kind of reunion with them in my future. It's just...over.

Frankly, it's not even worth getting worked up about. I'm just going to sit back, enjoy my old, good comics, and chill.

Anyhoo, sorry for the negative rant! It's been a bit cathartic, though. 

Now, let us sit back and celebrate this great character and his history. Although I suppose there's room for discussion about the negative stuff, as well. After all, Spider-Man's been "broken" (for me, at least) for nearly half of his publication history.

Favorite stories? Favorite writers/artists? What do you like (or dislike) about Spider-Man and his world?

Chime in, Spidophiles!

Replies:

Posted By: Darren De Vouge
Date Posted: 17 July 2012 at 5:10pm

So, Spider-Man remains bogged down in ickyness, lack of proper characterization, and one idiotic and inappropriate stunt after another. And movies that misrepresent the character and his world to the general public. Big surprise.

Anyhoo, I've reached a point where I just don't care anymore. Spider-Man is a character who had his time, as are all my other favorites whom I no longer feel connected to. I don't see any kind of reunion with them in my future. It's just...over.

This is exactly the way I feel,  not just about Spider-Man, but Marvel & DC in general these days.  The old guard has mostly left.  The fanboys have taken over.  Comics are like bad fanzines now.

Posted By: Matt Reed
Date Posted: 17 July 2012 at 5:36pm

Greg Kirkman wrote:

That's too bad.  I can't say the same for me.  Spider-Man has been, is and always will be my all-time favorite superhero.  That I haven't read his adventures in years because I feel like you do hasn't severed the connection to him for me, however.  I still buy Essentials and the ocassional Omnibus starring him.  I recently grabbed up a couple of pint glasses with Romita art on them.  I am still connected to those stories I read decades ago and AF 15 remains one of my favorite single issues of any comic bar none.  I hold out hope that some day, someone will return him to what made him great and make his stories all-ages once again.  No more of this three times a month publishing schedule with every third story arc just "OK".  Stop having him participate in every friggin' supherhero team in the MU.  Keep his and his supporting cast's sex lives out of sight.  

Peter Parker is still there, somewhere.  Deep down.  Someone just has to care enough to rediscover him again.

-------------

Date Posted: 17 July 2012 at 5:52pm

Totally agreed on all points, Matt. And, I should note, AF # 15 was voted the single best Marvel story of all time a few years back. I tend to agree--those 11 pages are pure gold. Way cool to see the scans of the original art (anonymously donated to the Library of Congress awhile back) in the new softcover ASM Masterworks.

I should be more clear, though. I'm not saying that my love for the character is over, or that I can't read old stories without fully enjoying them.

I just can't get into the current stuff, nor do I think I'll ever be able to get into future stories. And, for some years, now, my love for the old stuff had been somewhat tainted by the looming spectre of the modern stuff.

Sure, someone may eventually rediscover the real Spider-Man, but my pessimistic side tells me that the damage has been done.

Never say never, though, eh?

Anyway, now that some time has passed, I'm finally reconnecting with the REAL Spider-Man, the one I love so dearly. I'm finally able to just let go of my frustration with the current state of things, and enjoy the hundreds of great comics that I already have.

I'm been buying the lovingly restored softcover Masterworks volumes, and one of the biggest thrills of my life as a fan was having Stan Lee himself sign the title page of my Lee/Ditko ASM Omnibus some two years ago.

I've also been revisiting the various cartoons and TV series, and have been enjoying those, as well.

So, I suppose the REAL disconnect is with the current incanration of the mythos. And now, I'm finally finding my way back to the old mythos. And it's been great!

And, hey, would I have even started this thread if I'd really stopped caring?

Posted By: Michael Todd
Date Posted: 17 July 2012 at 6:00pm

Oddly enough over the last three weeks, I've read every issue from Amazing Fantasy #15 - Amazing Spider-Man #142, and it never dawned on me that this is his 50th anniversary year.

Posted By: Frank Leeoh
Date Posted: 17 July 2012 at 6:02pm

WOW!

The moment you got to the WTF points, it totally confirmed my decision to not buy anything Spider-Man.

Personally, I have never been able to get into/thru/pass the clone saga storyline.

It's just a big road block that has never lifted. Everything afterwards is just noise.

Only purchased due to JB's involvement.

Posted By: David Philpott
Date Posted: 17 July 2012 at 6:15pm

That stuff really happened ?  Thats scary !  

Posted By: Robert Bradley
Date Posted: 17 July 2012 at 6:18pm

It's what happens when writers are more concerned with doing something BIGGER!!! and MORE SHOCKING!!! rather than just telling good stories.

Posted By: Shaun Barry
Date Posted: 17 July 2012 at 6:20pm

Wow, June 5, 1962?  I thought "street date" was always 4 months ahead of the cover date back then.  It wouldn't have been May of '62?

Posted By: Lars Sandmark
Date Posted: 17 July 2012 at 6:21pm

Well said Greg. All of it it. You put to words how I feel, and others I'm sure.
The 30th anniversary story with Peter's parents 'coming back' was the clear start of the downward spiral for sure. Seems like when MARVEL went out of business in bankruptcy Spider-man never returned.
But it doesn't matter, we still have lots of reprints.

Posted By: Michael Roberts
Date Posted: 17 July 2012 at 6:22pm

Certainly, 2008's deal with Mephisto to negate the marriage stands as one of the worst and most controversial Spider-stories ever (and, given what's gone down in the last two-plus decades--the Clone Saga, "The Other", CIVIL WAR, etc., that's saying something!).

----

Nothing will ever be worse than "The Other" for me. While making a deal with Mephisto was pretty stupid, at least Peter was acting stupid to save Aunt May. "The Other" had bits like the villain eating Spider-Man's eye; Spider-Man killing the villain by biting his neck; Aunt May, MJ, and Peter using old Iron Man arms to storm Latveria to use Doom's time machine; Spider-Man growing new powers like arm spikes; and Peter being able to regenerate a new body.

I've been enjoying the current Dan Slott run, with Big Time and Spider-Island being highlights. The tone of those stories feels more like Spider-Man than when I started reading the Spider-Man comics (around the time of Kraven's Last Hunt), when the books felt really dark. I preferred Marvel Tales to the then-current Spider-Man books.

Certainly, Slott's stories can't avoid some the excesses of the modern Marvel Universe, but short of a reboot of the entire universe, I don't see any writer being able to do so.

Posted By: Tim O Neill
Date Posted: 17 July 2012 at 6:51pm

I think Dan Slott is doing a wonderful job on the current title - I missed a lot of the bad runs that seem to have worn people down.  Slott's writing is fresh, fun, and engaging.

The current art is hit or miss.  The best version of Spider-Man can be found on this very forum, when JB does his take on the commissions.  JB captures him perfectly, especially the motion!

Posted By: JohnByrne4
Date Posted: 17 July 2012 at 7:02pm

Roger Stern used to say the real Spider-Man, and, indeed, the real Marvel, ended with the publication of MARVEL TEAM-UP 1. Spider-Man, the eternal outcast, the loner, teaming up every month with a different character. The very notion of the team-up rendered ordinary.

There was a lot of good stuff that came along after MTU 1, but with every passing year I fear Rog's pronouncement becomes more and more true. Sometimes it seems the people currently in charge of Marvel are actually determined to drive the ship onto the rocks. Or did they already do that?

I used to say Rudyard Kipling's http://www.poemhunter.com/poem/if/ - IF was a good summation of Peter Parker. How long has it been since that was true?

Date Posted: 17 July 2012 at 7:06pm

I used to say Rudyard Kipling's http://www.poemhunter.com/poem/if/ - IF was a good summation of Peter Parker.

+++++++++

Agreed!

And, for a visual summation...

Posted By: Adam Hutchinson
Date Posted: 17 July 2012 at 7:10pm

DeZago and Wieringo's Sensational Spider-Man run in the mid- to late-
90s is still one of my personal favorite runs; fun stories, snappy
dialogue and beautiful art.

Date Posted: 17 July 2012 at 7:11pm

Also I'm another fan of Slott's current run. It's the first time the comic
has felt like a Spider-Man comic, to me, in a long time.

Posted By: Joe Hollon
Date Posted: 17 July 2012 at 7:51pm

My into to Spider-Man would've been the early 80s when the character was about 20 years old.  Cartoons, toys and the live action 70s series would've been my first exposure.  I started reading Spider-Man comics in 1987 when he would've been 25 years old, exactly half as old as he is now.  I had the good fortune to begin reading Spider-Man with MARVEL TALES along with the regular Spider titles.  For a long time I had no idea they were reprints.  Through this I was exposed to 70s Spider-Man and soon I was given a Marvel Masterworks introducing me to Mr. Steve Ditko and the glorious beginning of Spider-Man.  So it's interesting for me, my "Golden Age" of Spider-Man is simultaneously the Spider-Man of the 60s, 70s and all the way up through the late 80s/early 90s!

Oh yeah, did I say he's my favorite hero?  He is.

Posted By: Robert White
Date Posted: 17 July 2012 at 8:09pm

That Ditko sequence is one of the few that gets me emotionally everytime I read it. Inspired. Spider-Man has always been one of my favorites. The Hulk is my favorite, and I think he REALLY embodies the loner/outcast mentality to its fullest, but Spider-Man is certainly Marvel's greatest icon.

I was reading a comment by Steve Englehart not long about about how sometime in the late 80's, Marvel mandated that the characters could no longer "grow." (I believe he was talking about the fact that not even the illusion of change was wanted anymore) This along with the speculator boom did seem to signal the end of the classic Marvel Universe around 1991.  

Posted By: Peter Martin
Date Posted: 17 July 2012 at 8:17pm

One of my favourite comic book characters -- Peter Parker feels like a real friend, someone you have an immediate connection with and can always root for. Someone with a lot of bad luck, but who can always be counted on to do the right thing -- and make you laugh!

Spidey's witty banter is sort of unique and he has probably the best supporting cast, not just in comics, but possibly in any media. 

As Greg said, there are some wonderful runs. Any reprint of Lee/Ditko or Lee/Romita was always eagerly consumed and when I started collecting comics there was a UK Spider-Man comic that reprinted the great DeFalco/Frenz run. From back issues I also enjoyed the Stern/Romita Jr stories, particularly the classic Juggernaut story.

in fact, I first encountered Juggernaut watching Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends, which was my favourite cartoon in the mid-80s.

Date Posted: 17 July 2012 at 9:00pm

When you younger guys -- you know, everybody!! -- talk about your experience of Marvel characters growing up, I don't know whether to envy you, or feel sorry for you. Was it a cornucopia, or a surfeit?

I was there almost from the ground floor, for the birth of modern Marvel. FF 5, AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 1 (I would acquire AMAZING FANTASY 15 about a year later), AVENGERS 1, X-MEN 1, even SGT FURY from very early on. (Thor and Iron Man I was content to mostly follow in THE AVENGERS). I was aware of THE INCREDIBLE HULK, but it took me so long to convince my mother to let me buy it, I was able to pick up only one issue, 5, and then the bad distribution caused me to miss 6, and the book was gone!

Thing is, tho, in each of those instances, the comics were all I had. And only one series for each of them! No cartoons, no toys, no movies. Nada. Just the exquisite anticipation of waiting for the next issue. Which, very often, I missed. And the next. And the next. When I look at how many issues of FF I missed, I am amazed at the sheer dedication that kept me a fan.

So, I wonder what it would have been like if, having missed the latest issue of AMAZING SPIDER-MAN, I might still find SPECTACULAR SPIDER-MAN, or tune in SPIDER-MAN AND HIS AMAZING FRIENDS, or just go make my own adventures with the toys!

I'm pretty sure I would not be the same kind of fan I am today. I wonder, tho, if I would still be a fan at all?

Posted By: Andrew W. Farago
Date Posted: 17 July 2012 at 9:09pm

Spider-Man was my favorite when I was a kid, and he's still my favorite now.  While I though One More Day was an awful story, I've enjoyed seeing Dan Slott & Co.'s take on Spidey since then.  It's fun, classic superhero action, and apart from the occasional misstep, it's been an enjoyable run.

Lots of highlights over the decades, definitely.  Some of my favorites:

*The entire Lee-Ditko run.  They start of great, really hit their stride in the early twenties, and are pretty much untouchable from that point onward.

*The Romita era kicks off with one of the best two-parters in comics.  The next few years after that are great to look at, and I'm glad that I've got an IDW Artist's Edition of Romita's work on my bookshelf.

*The next creative peak came when John Romita inked Gil Kane's pencils.  Apart from Ditko, that's the best Spidey's ever looked.

*The Spider-Man/Hulk battle, deaths of Green Goblin and Gwen Stacy, the Jackal, Punisher, Spider-Mobile, Tarantula, original clone saga...I didn't read them as they were coming out, but reading and re-reading them in Marvel Tales gave me a real fondness for the Gerry Conway/Ross Andru era.

*The next real high point after that was the Stern/Romita Jr. era, which is probably the best run by anyone apart from Stan Lee, Steve Ditko and John Romita Sr.

*I started reading during the Gang War storyline around 1987, so that's still a personal favorite.  The death of Ned Leeds, the proposal, the wedding, Kraven's Last Hunt, The Mad Dog Ward, the McFarlane/Michelinie era...that's my golden age as a fan.

*Glad someone else mentioned Mike Wieringo.  That Sensational Spider-Man run with Todd DeZago was a real high point for the character in the 1990s.  Their first issue, Ben Reilly vs. The Looter, might be my single favorite issue from that decade (or the past 20 years, even).  I've got one page of original art from their run and it's hanging in my living room.

*The biggest highlights for me personally were curating a massive Spider-Man original art exhibition in the summer of 2002 and writing a Spider-Man story for the Marvel Holiday Special in 2007, kind of a Marvel Team-Up thing with Wolverine. 

I could probably list another dozen faves, but I think that's a pretty good start.

Posted By: Thomas Moudry
Date Posted: 17 July 2012 at 9:18pm

My first experience with The Amazing Spider-Man #102 (with six-armed
Spider-Man, the Lizard, and Morbius), but I didn't find another issue on the
stands for quite some time--#112. A Louisville station started rerunning
the 1967 Spider-Man cartoon about a year later, and at some point I started
reading Marvel Team-Up its first issue.

I got driven away from the character during the JMS run and haven't
returned, even though I've heard good things about Dan Slott's work.

Date Posted: 17 July 2012 at 9:27pm

They start of great, really hit their stride in the early twenties, and are pretty much untouchable from that point onward.

++++++++

You mean when Ditko took over the plotting?

There are a number of instances in those later issues where it's clear that Stan had no idea what was going on in a given story when he was writing the script! Like the subplot in # 30, which featured the Master Planner's gang as a prelude to the next issue, but where Stan tied them in with the Cat, # 30's villain.

Also, unfortunately, it does feel a bit like Ditko was phoning it in somewhat in the last few issues of the run, after the Master Planner storyline.

Date Posted: 17 July 2012 at 9:33pm

*The Romita era kicks off with one of the best two-parters in comics. 

++++++++++++

Interesting, isn't it, that Spider-Man has had several of the best cliffhangers in comic history? To name a few:

* The afforemention bit with Spider-Man buried under rubble at the end of # 32.

* The unmaskings of Spider-Man and the Green Goblin at the end of # 39.

* The reveal of the six-armed Spider-Man at the end of # 100 (not a favorite story of mine, but certainly a memorable cliffhanger!).

* The death of Gwen and Spider-Man's vow of vengeance at the end of # 121.

* The "return" of Gwen at the end of # 143.

Posted By: John Cole
Date Posted: 17 July 2012 at 9:37pm

At one time I had every issue from Amazing Fantasy # 15 and Amazing Spider-Man # 1 to about #570 then Quesada got leaned on by the stockholders and created that moronic Brand New Day storyline and I left and I seriously doubt I'll ever return with that horrible level of management in place.

-------------
jdcole

Date Posted: 17 July 2012 at 9:40pm

That Sensational Spider-Man run with Todd DeZago was a real high point for the character in the 1990s.  Their first issue, Ben Reilly vs. The Looter, might be my single favorite issue from that decade (or the past 20 years, even).

++++++++++

I recall enjoying UNTOLD TALES OF SPIDER-MAN, although that series suffers from some goofy retcons and villains being slipped into the chronology, as well as the fact, well...why would there even BE any "untold" tales in-between the original stories? Lee and Ditko told all the tales they wanted to tell!

Still, a title that at least felt like the real Spider-Man was refreshing during those dark, dark, Clone Saga days.

Date Posted: 17 July 2012 at 9:42pm

I recall enjoying UNTOLD TALES OF SPIDER-MAN, although that series suffers from some goofy retcons and villains being slipped into the chronology, as well as the fact, well...why would there even BE any "untold" tales in-between the original stories? Lee and Ditko told all the tales they wanted to tell!

••

I was told that was Ditko's response, too.

Date Posted: 17 July 2012 at 9:42pm

I really enjoyed Untold Tales of Spider-Man--and the DeZago/Wieringo run
on Sensational Spider-Man.

Date Posted: 17 July 2012 at 9:49pm

At one time I had every issue from Amazing Fantasy # 15 and Amazing Spider-Man # 1 to about #570 then Quesada got leaned on by the stockholders and created that moronic Brand New Day storyline and I left and I seriously doubt I'll ever return with that horrible level of management in place.

+++++++++

Of course, the marriage had been part of Spider-Man lore for nearly half his history at the time of that story.

Sure, a single Spider-Man is the purest version of the character, but it seems that all Quesada really did was alienate and enrage those fans still sticking around who supported "growth" and changes like the marriage!

Did Spider-Man's reversion (or devolution) to a single, casual-sex-having guy really bring back old-time fans? Or did it just drive off still more of the 60,000-70,000 or so (and fluctuating) readers still buying AMAZING?

Posted By: Aaron Smith
Date Posted: 17 July 2012 at 10:41pm

I've always had three favorite superheroes, and Spider-Man has always been one of them. In many ways, he's the one I always felt closest too, since he was designed to be someone a kid could identify with.
I've always thought of it this way:
If I grew up to be the absolute best person I could be, maybe I could be like Captain America.
If I had the means, maybe I could be like Batman.
But if I found myself thrown into a situation where I had to use what I had been given for the best reasons in the face of great odds, I hoped I could be like Spider-Man.

Date Posted: 17 July 2012 at 10:43pm

I recall enjoying UNTOLD TALES OF SPIDER-MAN, although that
series suffers from some goofy retcons and villains being slipped into
the chronology, as well as the fact, well...why would there even BE any
"untold" tales in-between the original stories? Lee and Ditko told all the
tales they wanted to tell!
••

I was told that was Ditko's response, too.

----

I recently read a post from Kurt Busiek stating that Marvel had almost
convinced Ditko to do another Spider-Man story until someone from
Marvel sent him copies of UNTOLD TALES and that torpedoed the
whole deal.

Date Posted: 18 July 2012 at 6:25am

I recently read a post from Kurt Busiek stating that Marvel had almost convinced Ditko to do another Spider-Man story until someone from Marvel sent him copies of UNTOLD TALES and that torpedoed the whole deal.

••

Well, as long as Kurt's admitting to it, yes. That's what I heard from Ralph Macchio. He'd come within inches of convincing Ditko to do a new Spider-Man story, then Steve saw UNTOLD, took offense, and backed away.

Posted By: Robert White
Date Posted: 18 July 2012 at 6:40am

I can understand that Ditko didn't like the idea of someone telling stories set in the same period that he was drawing Spidey's adventures, but how different is that sort of thing than all the retroactive continuity minutia that's sprung up over the years in the comics? It's also odd to me given Ditko's intentional dissociation with the character, and money pertaining to the character, over the years. 

I don't have a conceptual problem with Untold Tales anymore than I had one with The Hidden Years. Any long running comic can justify such a take. There is no way that we've seen ALL ten years or so of Spider-Man's life and adventures.

Posted By: DW Zomberg
Date Posted: 18 July 2012 at 6:59am

...enrage those fans still sticking around who supported "growth" and changes like the marriage

Those types of fans the industry can do without.

Posted By: Ben Mcvay
Date Posted: 18 July 2012 at 7:07am

Those types of fans the industry can do without.
I think the industry could use all the fans it can keep at this point given the direction sales have been headed for years now.

Posted By: Michael Penn
Date Posted: 18 July 2012 at 7:24am

One of these days, I'm gonna sit down and read 'em all in order, soaking in all of that history (good AND bad).

I tried this last year, Greg, but I found far too much bad immediately after Roger Stern left in the 80s. I had to stop. No regrets.

Date Posted: 18 July 2012 at 7:45am

I recently read a post from Kurt Busiek stating that Marvel had almost convinced Ditko to do another Spider-Man story until someone from Marvel sent him copies of UNTOLD TALES and that torpedoed the whole deal.

••

Well, as long as Kurt's admitting to it, yes. That's what I heard from Ralph Macchio. He'd come within inches of convincing Ditko to do a new Spider-Man story, then Steve saw UNTOLD, took offense, and backed away.

NO-OOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

It may take me days to recover from that revelation....

Date Posted: 18 July 2012 at 7:51am

the industry could use all the fans...

The "growth and change" crowd are largely responsible for the sad state of the comic market in the first place. It's their mentality that drove away fresh, casual readers who kept comic sales steady decade after decade. And by appealing to these selfish knuckleheads, the industry is committing a slow and painful suicide.

Date Posted: 18 July 2012 at 8:07am

QUOTE:
*Glad someone else mentioned Mike Wieringo. That Sensational Spider-Man run with Todd DeZago was a real high point for the character in the 1990s. Their first issue, Ben Reilly vs. The Looter, might be my single favorite issue from that decade (or the past 20 years, even). I've got one page of original art from their run and it's hanging in my living room.

Andrew, that's awesome. I have a page from that run too. It's from the -1 issue, a really heartfelt story about young Peter and Uncle Ben that came out of a weird marketing gimmick. I'd like to get a page from one of the Swarm issues, just to see all the individually drawn and inked bees. :)

Posted By: kenny rogers
Date Posted: 18 July 2012 at 8:45am

The biggest thing I miss about Spider man is his eyes.  John Romita and J.B did his eyes the best.  I hate the Mcfarlane giant bug eyes that everyone seems to be drawing now.

Posted By: Paul Greer
Date Posted: 18 July 2012 at 9:26am

I did enjoy Untold Tales but there is a key difference between that and Hidden Years. Busiek actually created new stories between key Spider-Man moments from Ditko and Lee's run. Hidden Years covered an era where the X-Men existed in the Marvel U but didn't have any new stories being told. One was being retrofitted and the other filled a gap. 

Date Posted: 18 July 2012 at 9:50am

Years before UNTOLD TALES I started pitching -- somewhat in jest, to be sure -- a series I dubbed "Spider-Boy". This would NOT have been the actual title, I promise you. But my idea was that Spider-Man had, at that point, been around longer than Superman had when Superboy was added to the canon. So why not, I asked, do stories set in the period when Peter Parker was still in high school? The idea here was that, like Superboy, "Spider-Boy" would not be tied to real time, so his high school adventures could go on forever.

Alas, when a series along these lines final came to be, in the form of UNTOLD TALES, the anal fanboy mentality was in full vigor, so the stories, rather than just happening "in the Past" simply HAD TO BE set "between" old stories, and even PANELS in those old stories. In other words, the series was tied to the passing of time just as the original series had been. After a while, Peter would have to leave high school, go to college, deal with Gwen's death, etc, etc. All the stuff that had muddied up the original, clean and clear vision.

(The greater crime, tho, for me, was when Marvel gave us "Amazing Fantasy" 16, 17, and so on. This was to insert stories BETWEEN the last panel of the first Spider-Man tale in AMAZING FANTASY 15 and the first panel in AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 1. Why? To provide Parker time to "realistically" get good enough with his spider-powers that he could go out and fight crime and save plummeting Mercury capsules. Evidently, all those months he spent going from newly acquired powers to being famous and skilled enough to appear on "Ed Sullivan" wasn't sufficient explanation. Those idiots, Lee and Ditko! Got it WRONG again!)

"The first story you'd do as a fan should be the last story you'd do as a pro." - Len Wein

Date Posted: 18 July 2012 at 9:53am

The only reason I stuck around for UNTOLD TALES was Pat Olliffe's art.  To me, he's the definition of underrated.  Really enjoy his work. 

-------------

Date Posted: 18 July 2012 at 10:08am

Ultimately, if timelessness prevails, virtually any new story can be an untold tale.

Posted By: David Plunkert
Date Posted: 18 July 2012 at 11:45am

Quote--Well, as long as Kurt's admitting to it, yes. That's what I heard from Ralph Macchio. He'd come within inches of convincing Ditko to do a new Spider-Man story, then Steve saw UNTOLD, took offense, and backed away.

--probably for the best.

From what I've read; "within inches of convincing Ditko" is still a vast distance.

Date Posted: 18 July 2012 at 11:48am

From what I've read; "within inches of convincing Ditko" is still a vast distance.

••

Remind me now, where was your office at Marvel, at the time?

Date Posted: 18 July 2012 at 12:12pm

quote--Remind me now, where was your office at Marvel, at the time?

I thought "from what I've read" was an adequate qualifier.

Ditko has a history of taking easy offense and backing away from projects based on what industry professionals say about him in books. Blake Bell's Ditko book devotes a chapter to it.

No offense intended towards you or Ralph Macchio. I certainly did not intend to imply he was lying.

Date Posted: 18 July 2012 at 12:33pm

Okay, time to bring up a few favorite stories:

(Basically, the entire Lee-Ditko run, with a few highlights listed below)

* "Spider-Man", AMAZING FANTASY # 15. Often imitated, never duplicated.

* The Master Planner trilogy, ASM # 31-33. 

* "How Green Was My Goblin"/"The End of the Green Goblin", ASM # 39-40.

* "The Goblin Lives!", SPECTACULAR SPIDER-MAN (magazine) # 2.

* "The Arms of Doctor Octopus"/"Doc Ock Lives!"/"And Death Shall Come", ASM # 88-90.

* The Doctor Octopus/Hammerhead gang war, ASM # 112-115.

* "The Night Gwen Stacy Died"/"The Goblin's Last Stand", ASM # 121-122.

* The original Clone Saga, ASM # 141-150.

* "Nothing Can Stop the Juggernaut", ASM # 229-230.

* The original Hobgoblin saga, ASM 238-239, 244-245, 249-251.

* "The Kid Who Collects Spider-Man", ASM # 248.

* The Alien Costume Saga, ASM 252-259.

* The Death of Jean DeWolff, SPECTACULAR SPIDER-MAN # 107-110, and its sequel, in SSM # 134-136.

* "Fearful Symmetry"/"Kraven's Last Hunt".

* "Best of Enemies", SPECTACULAR SPIDER-MAN # 200.

I'm sure I'm forgetting a few!

Date Posted: 18 July 2012 at 1:19pm

The biggest thing I miss about Spider man is his eyes.  John Romita and J.B did his eyes the best.  I hate the Mcfarlane giant bug eyes that everyone seems to be drawing now.
This. And I would add Gil Kane and Ross Andru to the list of "best eyes".

Posted By: Brian Kelly
Date Posted: 18 July 2012 at 2:13pm

A couple of months ago I picked up Essential Amazing Spider-Man Volume 8 (mostly because it was only $6) and discovered the Amazing Spider-Man comics of my youth!  I had never really considered Ross Andru's Spider-Man a favorite of mine, but my admiration of his work (and Mike Esposito) has grown!  Solid consistent work!

However, my favorite Spider-Man issues were drawn by Gil Kane, John Byrne, Rick Leonardi and JRjr when inked by Klaus Janson!

At the time I really liked Todd McFarlane's Spider-Man issues.  I remember thinking his artwork reminded me of Berkeley Breathed in "Bloom County", but I findTodd's art doesn't appeal to me now like it did back then.

Date Posted: 18 July 2012 at 2:27pm

Andrew, that's awesome. I have a page from that run too. It's from the -1 issue, a really heartfelt story about young Peter and Uncle Ben that came out of a weird marketing gimmick. I'd like to get a page from one of the Swarm issues, just to see all the individually drawn and inked bees. :)

I've got the last page of the Savage Land storyline.  Best part is a little cartoony Spider-Man popping up in the last panel introducing whatever story was coming up in the following issue.  Love that Wieringo art.

I'm a fan of Untold Tales of Spider-Man, unnecessary though it may be.  Great artwork from Patrick Olliffe and the legendary Al Williamson, fun stories from Kurt Busiek, and easy enough to ignore or treat as a "what if?" if you don't care for its place in the original Lee-Ditko stories.  When I re-read the Ditko issues, I don't hop back and forth between them and Untold Tales, and when I re-read a big stack of Untold Tales, I don't reach for the original comics.  As completely separate, complementary projects, I think there's room for both in my collection.   

Date Posted: 18 July 2012 at 2:31pm

A quick note of praise for... Jim Mooney!

Posted By: Richard White
Date Posted: 18 July 2012 at 4:13pm

I think Jim Mooney is a wonderful artist, I've been reading the issues of Spectacular Spider-Man he did. Lovely stuff.

Roger Stern's work on that title also blows me away. My two favourite things that Roger does is to get across to the reader that Spider-Man moves in a strange way and via Belladonna that he is indeed to supposed to be on some level a bit creepy.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 July 2012 at 6:21pm

I guess I show my age by considering Venom to be a newcomer in the world of Spidey.... In fact, I sort of think of the black costume as being new, despite it being in existence for more than half of Spider-Man's 50-year history.

Date Posted: 18 July 2012 at 6:31pm

You're not alone, Peter! I'm shocked when I realize that there have been many, many more issues of Spider-Man published AFTER I started reading it than before.  

Date Posted: 18 July 2012 at 6:48pm

A quick note of praise for... Jim Mooney!
Love his work. His Supergirl stuff was great also.

Posted By: Neil Brauer
Date Posted: 18 July 2012 at 6:51pm

I had never really considered Ross Andru's Spider-Man a favorite of mine, but my admiration of his work (and Mike Esposito) has grown! Solid consistent work!

Andru really is a very good artist, in my opinion of course.  He and Conway were on the title when I first started reading it and I still love that run.

Date Posted: 19 July 2012 at 6:18am

Ross Andru was brilliant when it came to making you feel like Spider-Man was part of New York.  I don't know if any artist has ever used the settings and architecture of a city as well as he did in his art.

Date Posted: 19 July 2012 at 6:26am

Spider-Man might have the greatest legacy of artists of any character.  Check out this lineage:

Ditko-->Romita-->Kane-->Andru-->JRjr-->Frenz- ->Zeck

That's just looking at the core title from inception through the mid/late 80s.  Quite a streak!

Date Posted: 19 July 2012 at 6:41am

And don't forget in addition to THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN we got Ross Andru, Gil Kane, Sal Buscema and Jim Mooney in the early issues of MARVEL TEAM-UP.

Date Posted: 19 July 2012 at 6:46am

And don't forget in addition to THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN we got Ross Andru, Gil Kane, Sal Buscema and Jim Mooney in the early issues of MARVEL TEAM-UP.

...and on other titles and later issues we got John Byrne, Alex Saviuk, Keith Pollard...really impressive!  Lots of my all-time favorite artists in those lists!

Date Posted: 19 July 2012 at 6:47am

Don't forget Keith Pollard after Andru... !

Posted By: Bill Guerra
Date Posted: 19 July 2012 at 7:45am

As much as I'm not a fan of his, I think you'd have to add in McFarlane to the list. If you're thinking in terms of influential artists on Spider-Man, that is.

Date Posted: 19 July 2012 at 7:48am

I think Mark Bagley deserves a spot on that list too.

Date Posted: 19 July 2012 at 7:49am

As much as I'm not a fan of his, I think you'd have to add in McFarlane to the list. If you're thinking in terms of influential artists on Spider-Man, that is.

••

McFarlane's stuff blew me away when he first showed up. I said to then-editor Jim Salicrup, once this guy actually learns to draw he's really going to be something!

Unfortunately, he became a MegaSuperRockStar with his art at that level, and so STOPPED.

Date Posted: 19 July 2012 at 8:01am

It was sort of like when George Perez arrived on the scene in the early '70s - you looked at his art, and despite the flaws you though "Wow, this guy is really going to be something!"

And Perez went on to refine his art.  McFarlane didn't.  I think he was just more interested in making toys, buying baseballs and making money.

Posted By: Jean-Francois Joutel
Date Posted: 19 July 2012 at 9:46am

Spider-Man might have the greatest legacy of artists of any character. 

------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------

And now we have:

GAWD!

Date Posted: 19 July 2012 at 9:55am

Wow -- that looks like six different artists worked on it, none being allowed to see that any of the others had drawn!

In my early days, I would finish a page of IRON FIST, or THE AVENGERS, or X-MEN (even on up thru FF and beyond) and think "It WILL get better! It WILL get better!" I wonder how many modern artists struggle with themselves like that. When I look at something like the image Jean-Francois posted, I have a distinct impression of the artist sitting back and thinking "Brilliant!"

I do so hope I am wrong!

Date Posted: 19 July 2012 at 10:19am

That panel of Spider-Man.....yikes!

I blame the whole manga/anime influence that too many artists nowadays use as their primary influence. If they want to draw that kind of stuff, get a gig with a japanese comic.

Date Posted: 19 July 2012 at 10:51am

Here's a brief blogpost I found on Ditko, Stanton, Spiderman.
Some interesting pictures. Very mildly NSFWP

http://vintagesleaze.blogspot.com/2012/01/spiderman-eric-sta nton-steve-ditko.html

Posted By: Craig Markley
Date Posted: 19 July 2012 at 11:09am

Bill said-"I blame the whole manga/anime influence that too many artists nowadays use as their primary influence. If they want to draw that kind of stuff, get a gig with a japanese comic."
-----------------
We recently visited Ringling College of Art and Design in Sarasota, FL as a potential college with my 14 year old daughter. The admissions director we spoke with also travels across the country doing portfolio reviews. I asked him what type of work he was sick-and-tired of looking at when doing the reviews and without allowing me to finish the question he said, "Manga".

Mark Bagley is a graduate of Ringling College.

Posted By: Eric Ladd
Date Posted: 19 July 2012 at 11:28am

I grew up going to the same comic store as Bagley. He was always helpful and very generous with his time for a young comic fan like myself. I think he has the record for longest run on Amazing Spider-Man, but I'm not certain.

That panel Jean-Francois posted makes me want to get back into comics because it really looks like there is little to no aptitude needed to work in the field anymore.

Date Posted: 19 July 2012 at 11:51am

Mark Bagley is a graduate of Ringling College.

••

I hope you're not saying that panel is Bagley? That would be REALLY depressing!

Date Posted: 19 July 2012 at 11:58am

As I've been skimming through the various Masterworks volumes, I find it interesting that so many iconic Spider-Man poses have come from Romita, rather than Ditko.

Sure, Ditko gave us the quirky, insect-like movements (and a few iconic panel and cover poses), but Romita gave us one classic "money shot" after another (both in stories themselves, as well as in all the promotional and merchandising art he's done over the years).

Romita may not have been able to copy the quirkiness of Ditko, but I think he gave Spider-Man a heapin' helpin' of grace and elegance in his movements, while still retaining the character's inhuman flexibility, as established by Ditko.

Date Posted: 19 July 2012 at 12:03pm

The artist above is Humberto Ramos. I hated his art when I first saw it on IMPULSE, but it grew on me. Whatever his flaws, his panels are usually very dynamic, and you get a sense of movement in his work.

Posted By: Joel Tesch
Date Posted: 19 July 2012 at 12:20pm

The artist above is Humberto Ramos. I hated his art when I first saw it on IMPULSE, but it grew on me. Whatever his flaws, his panels are usually very dynamic, and you get a sense of movement in his work.

Funny, I'm of the opposite opinion. I really liked it on IMPULSE, but find it now, while very dynamic, nearly incomprehensible in telling a story.

Date Posted: 19 July 2012 at 12:30pm

I think Ramos just fell into the whole manga trap. There's no way you can convince me that that pose of Spider-Man should be in a Marvel comicbook. Its horrible.

Date Posted: 19 July 2012 at 12:34pm

Funny, I'm of the opposite opinion. I really liked it on IMPULSE, but find it now, while very dynamic, nearly incomprehensible in telling a story.

----

I agree that his storytelling can be very confusing at times.

Date Posted: 19 July 2012 at 12:56pm

Ramos was great on Impulse. Not feeling that Spidey art.

Date Posted: 19 July 2012 at 1:00pm

I'm seen plenty of things in Ramos' art that leads me to believe he can really draw, but he makes a stylistic choice that really doesn't work for me at all.

Posted By: Jean-Francois Joutel
Date Posted: 19 July 2012 at 1:20pm

That's a nicely coloured picture, but Spider-Man seems to be suffering from a serious case of giganticism of the right leg.

Posted By: Sue Ward
Date Posted: 19 July 2012 at 1:43pm

I loved Steve Ditko on Spider-Man the best.

Posted By: Craig Markley
Date Posted: 19 July 2012 at 1:48pm

Is that webbing buldging out from under his left arm?

Date Posted: 19 July 2012 at 1:50pm

It's his foot, I believe.

Date Posted: 19 July 2012 at 1:53pm

What is he doing to that chimney?

Date Posted: 19 July 2012 at 1:57pm

Crouching on it. Climbing down it. Landing on it. Any number of things?

Date Posted: 19 July 2012 at 2:18pm

Except for the little bit of left foot and leg suggesting most of his body is in front of the chimney my initial impression was that he's simply draped over the chimney. 

Posted By: Brian Miller
Date Posted: 19 July 2012 at 2:57pm

He looks like he's 12 feet tall in that pic.

I was a big Ramos fan when he had his couple of creator-owned books. I remember really liking the vampire one. When he went to Marvel, he started getting really, REALLY exagerrated with his anatomy and I didn't like it as much. That Spider-Man panel from the previous page actually looks painful.

Date Posted: 19 July 2012 at 3:29pm

I dig Ramos's work.  It's fun, there's a lot of great movement and expressiveness in his characters, and I just about always enjoy reading a book that he's drawing.  And I think you can play the "what's wrong with this drawing" game with any number of artists, especially the more stylized one.  I can only imagine that there's another message board somewhere online where people are doing the same to Kirby and Ditko.

Date Posted: 19 July 2012 at 3:49pm

Agreed.

Posted By: Gary Olson
Date Posted: 19 July 2012 at 8:07pm

I still have a fondness for Jim Starlin's Marvel Two-In-One Annual with Spidey and the troops.

-------------
From down under

Date Posted: 19 July 2012 at 9:41pm

Quote--And I think you can play the "what's wrong with this drawing" game with any number of artists, especially the more stylized one.  

So no comment should be made unless positive?
Artists are judged by their pictures. Some links in the chain are weaker than others....

Posted By: Allan Summerall
Date Posted: 19 July 2012 at 9:46pm

When I first started to buy comics on a regular basis,My first Amazing Spider-Man was issue #296 with Alex Saviuk on art duties. I loved everything about it. The story was the beginning of a great two-part Doc Ock story,it had Peter Parker actually redesigning his web-shooters out of plastic and adding a little warning light to let him know when his web-fluid was about empty(I don't think that has been used since those issues to my knowledge). At any rate,Saviuk's art was,to me,perfect for the book and for a time he was my favorite Spidey-artist. When McFarlane came along,I initially liked it.ASM #'s 298 & 299 were decent enough and I kinda dug the look of the webbing.With #300 though,I was turned off by it and it took a while for me to get used to the way he drew Spider-Man. What I really didn't care for though is how Marvel then made all the other artists(Saviuk on Web of Spider-Man and Sal Buscema on Spectacular Spider-Man)draw the McFarlane look and how that style just didn't feel right. How Mcfarlane drew is his own style and having other artists copy that look takes away from artist individuality IMO.

Date Posted: 20 July 2012 at 12:56am

So no comment should be made unless positive?
Artists are judged by their pictures. Some links in the chain are weaker than others....

Not saying that at all.  I just felt that the comments were drifting into a nitpicky direction, complaining about every last bit of Ramos's art.  Whether it's his best drawing or not, Ramos is a skilled, talented professional artist, and reading comment after comment about what people don't like about this particular drawing was getting pretty tedious.

Date Posted: 20 July 2012 at 1:54am

I first read Spider-Man in the early 1960's and Steve Ditko is the only one that can draw him the way i like.

Date Posted: 20 July 2012 at 4:54am

I dig Ramos's work. It's fun, there's a lot of great movement and expressiveness in his characters, and I just about always enjoy reading a book that he's drawing. And I think you can play the "what's wrong with this drawing" game with any number of artists, especially the more stylized one. I can only imagine that there's another message board somewhere online where people are doing the same to Kirby and Ditko.

••

There's a difference between "stylized" and bad. Unfortunately, it's a difference that has been badly damaged over the past few decades.

Date Posted: 20 July 2012 at 5:43am

Date Posted: 20 July 2012 at 5:45am

Date Posted: 20 July 2012 at 5:45am

Date Posted: 20 July 2012 at 5:46am

Date Posted: 20 July 2012 at 5:47am

Date Posted: 20 July 2012 at 5:52am

All different styles by some of my favorite Spider-Man artists.

Date Posted: 20 July 2012 at 5:55am

I like the last one. Is that Chris Bachalo (sp?)? That's basically the same approach as Ramos, but without the excesses. (And with a little Mignola thrown in for good meansure!)

Date Posted: 20 July 2012 at 6:02am

Yup, Chris Bachalo he did a few arcs in the Brand New Day Era.

Posted By: Brad Krawchuk
Date Posted: 20 July 2012 at 7:13am

That black costume image is one of the defining images of Spider-Man from my childhood. Thanks, JB!

Date Posted: 20 July 2012 at 8:59am

These I like.

Date Posted: 20 July 2012 at 10:25am

Yeah. I loved Bachalo from the beginning.

Date Posted: 20 July 2012 at 11:44am

There's a difference between "stylized" and bad. Unfortunately, it's a difference that has been badly damaged over the past few decades.

True.  Humberto Ramos has enough skill that I put his work in the "good, but stylized" category.  I've seen plenty of artists like him with no basic understanding of anything other than the surface elements of making a drawing look cool, but Ramos generally knows what he's doing.  Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Agreed on Chris Bachalo's art.  Like Ramos, he occasionally gives way to excess in his work, but when he's on, he's on.

Posted By: Lance Hill
Date Posted: 20 July 2012 at 1:41pm

I generally like Humberto Ramos' work, although it can be inconsistent. I find that his current take on Spider-Man fits better than what he was doing with the character a few years ago on Spectacular Spider-Man.

My favourite recent Spider-Man artist is Marcos Martin.

Date Posted: 20 July 2012 at 2:01pm

Agreed.  Marcos Martin has done some brilliant stuff with Spider-Man and Daredevil in recent years.  There are hints of Tim Sale, Paul Smith and Alex Toth in his work, and I've enjoyed everything I've seen from him.

Date Posted: 20 July 2012 at 2:28pm

Yeah. I loved Bachalo from the beginning.

----

I really enjoy Bachalo's style, but his storytelling can be horrendous. There have been pages where I've turned the comic book upside down because I really had no clue what was going on in the panels.

Date Posted: 20 July 2012 at 3:39pm

Michael Cho

Date Posted: 20 July 2012 at 7:47pm

The issue that introduced me to Spider-Man. I can still remember reading that issue like it was yesterday...and somehow it was 27 years ago!

Date Posted: 20 July 2012 at 9:23pm

That Marcos Martin artwork is really something special.  The "blue image" is probably the best thing I've ever seen to come out of the execrable "Clone Saga!"

The Gwen Stacy pic is gut-wrenching.  Love the subtle body language of both characters.

Posted By: Francesco Vanagolli
Date Posted: 21 July 2012 at 12:02pm

Ask me which is for me the "#1 great American comic book", the answer will never change: The amazing Spider-Man.

There are so many things I could tell about Spider-Man, my all time favorite comics character, but I haven't so much time. Anyway... later today I'm going to begin my massive Spider-Man 50th anniversary re-reading*, which I suppose will keep me occupied this whole summer and beyond, so I'm sure I'll find a lot of things to write here.

Thank you for this thread, Greg!

*I have every issue of ASM since #39 and I'm planning to re-read them all. Pure madness, no doubt.

Date Posted: 21 July 2012 at 12:16pm

There are so many things I could tell about Spider-Man, my all time favorite comics character, but I haven't so much time. Anyway... later today I'm going to begin my massive Spider-Man 50th anniversary re-reading*, which I suppose will keep me occupied this whole summer and beyond, so I'm sure I'll find a lot of things to write here.
++++++++++++

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts, Francesco!

Yeah, there's a special thrill whenever I see this title logo:

I was displeased back in the 90s when it changed to this:

Date Posted: 21 July 2012 at 12:19pm

My basic problem with that '90s logo is that it looks like it belongs to a villain.

Date Posted: 21 July 2012 at 12:22pm

Speaking of villains, I find it interesting that Ron Frenz's initial reaction to the black costume was to ask DeFalco who this new villain he'd be drawing was!

Posted By: Stephen Robinson
Date Posted: 21 July 2012 at 1:25pm

This is why I thought it was a great move to eventually give the black costume to Venom.

If it were up to me, I would have kept Venom the same relative size as Spider-Man (the beefy Venom sort of ruins the look of the black suit) and kept the distinction between the two as the slightly sinister grin on what should be a full-face mask (and I would have kept it just a simple smile rather than some ridiculous drooling maw).

Date Posted: 21 July 2012 at 1:57pm

Man. Nobody drew that black costume better than Leonardi.

I know that sheet is from MARVEL AGE, but at a time when I never got to a comics shop, when I saw that 252 cover on the spinner rack at my usual convenience store, I was absolutely stunned. My whole comics world was turned upside-down.

And I love the black costume. I make no apologies for it. I love it.

Date Posted: 21 July 2012 at 11:59pm

The classic logo, Greg... is, well, amazing! Simple, elegant, dynamic. Funny how here in Italy it was just rarely used... for some reasons, the Italian Spider-Man mags often had different logo styles.

Now, let's begin... my first exposure to Spider-Man was in, if I recall correctly, in 1987: the 1982 animated series. I didn't knew anything about the character, so that was something completely new to me. I loved the art style, ignoring that it was based on John Romita's (and of course, I ignored who this John Romita could be), and the opening theme (by Shuki Levi, who performed it in Italian!) was great.
But Spider-Man was "just another tv hero", I was not particularly fond of him.
One year later or so, I managed to find some old comics, and this is the one I suppose was "the first":

I loved it. those comics were so colorful, action packed, enjoyable! You knew there was a backstory, but you didn't need it to read the book. The problem was that those comics were OLD, so I could not to learn how storylines ended. No comic shops, no reprints, no American books to fill the gaps (but, five years old, the only English words I knew were "Masters of the Universe").

So, while I could enjoy the more some self contained stories, multi parters were a bit frustrating. Heck, my last story was ASM #196, which ended with Spider-Man helpless in front of the Kingpin... and Aunt May dead! After that, I was SURE she was really dead!

Notice Spider-Man's eyes... yellow. Comics were recolored in Italy and, due to an error by the colorist, Spider-Man'e eyes became yellow after a handful of issues. Honestly, I liked that... yellow covered Peter's eyes better than white (so his secret id was safer!), plus it's a primary color... just like blue and red, so it just seemed fit.

Anyway, I had to wait some years yet to become the big Spider-Man fan I'm today... but that's a story for another post!

Date Posted: 22 July 2012 at 8:14am

yellow covered Peter's eyes better than white.

???

Date Posted: 22 July 2012 at 8:30am

My childish naivety made me think, so many years ago, that yellow lenses made harder to see Peter'e eyes from the outside.

Posted By: Chad Carter
Date Posted: 22 July 2012 at 3:10pm

I kind of dig the yellow myself.

Date Posted: 22 July 2012 at 3:12pm

Ramos' art is what happens when you don't give a flying f*ck about what you're doing, but you still get paid to do it.

Date Posted: 22 July 2012 at 3:17pm

Still the best recap ever. Don't recall who did it, unfortunately. 

Date Posted: 22 July 2012 at 3:41pm

While looking for Sal Buscema Spider-Man (my favorite), stumbled on this: 

And you can read the story here  http://diversionsofthegroovykind.blogspot.com/2012/03/s ecret-origins-origin-of-spider-man-by.html - http://diversionsofthegroovykind.blogspot.com/2012/03/secret -origins-origin-of-spider-man-by.html
Artwork by John Romita Sr, with Sal inking! Brilliant! Stupendous!

By the way, the above standing Spider-Man image was always my favorite corner logo image. I don't know why it's so evocative of the character, since he's just, like, standing. But it's amazing.

Date Posted: 22 July 2012 at 3:54pm

Date Posted: 22 July 2012 at 3:58pm

Hey! I had that All Spider-Man comic book, I'd forgotten about that.

Date Posted: 22 July 2012 at 4:02pm

Part 2 of my "A life with Spider-Man" saga.

In Jr. High, I wasnt reading comics. Aw, wait. AMERICAN comics. For some reason, I didn't feel compelled in reading them. I knew about the death of Superman and stuff like that, and spinner racks were filled by Italian editions, but frankly I DIDN'T CARE.

11 years old, I watched the X-Men cartoon and I thought it was cool. It was enough to make me search for those old comics I had put somewhere in the garage. But no new comics for me, yet. I didn't kn ow HOW to start. My last Spider-Man story was dated 1979, so there were over 15 years of gap I wasn't able to fill. Until that day in 1995 when Marvel Italia (an Italian branch of Marvel makes you think how popular was Marvel here) decided to reprint Spider-Man's first Italian book from 1970. Could there be a best beginning than... the real beginning?

Man, I was hooked for life! Reading that book (which reprinted AF #15 and ASM #1) I thought Spider-Man was the coolest character ever! That harsh lesson he learns in his first adventure! His heroic (and succesful) attempt for saving the space capsule! His misadventures with JJJ or in the bank, when trying to collect the money he earned on tv!
That day, I couldn't imagine my life as a comic reader without Spider-Man. NO WAY!

And, while not particularly attracted by the new material (even if well drawn by Sal Buscema and Mark Bagley), I was lucky enough to feel this renewed interest in Spider-Man just when his classic stories where chronologically reprinted in a monthly title. So lucky that I jumped aboard just when they were reprinting the stories from "my" era. Hey, at last I could to know the fate of Aunt May or who did the pictures of Spider-Man disposing of the clone's corpse. All this after 7 years... and 7 years are a lifetime when you're a kid.

I loved the Marvel line of comics, but Spider-Man was my #1. Every Spider-Man comc I could grab was a sort of treasure to me, and I never felt anything like that for any comic book before. But Spider-Man was special.
He could learn the truth about the third Green Goblin, to save the Bugle with Daredevil, to stop Carnage's wave of madness in a massive crossover... he was my hero. Fictional, no doubt, but a hero nevertheless.

Seeing him in a fight versus Doctor Octopus, the Green Goblin or Venom was a joy, seeing Peter Parker trying to adjust his life was great fun.
A list of every story I appreciated would be extremely long... but let me post some covers of my top favorites!

#1? This:

followed by this

and this

Favorite runs?

Lee/Ditko/Romita is the best.
Stern/Romita, Jr. is a classic.
Wolfman/Pollard thrilled me a lot when I was a kid.

But, except for a couple of unfortunate eras, Amazing was always at least decent.

Outside Amazing, MTU by Claremont and JB is a real must have. DeMatteis and Buscema did some good stuff on Spectacular. Mackie and JrJr. gave the adjectiveless (later Peter Parker) a sense, while DeZago and Wieringo were great on Sensational.

There are so many good Spider-Man stories out there... waiting to be reread!

Date Posted: 22 July 2012 at 4:13pm

Another good moment was when, 15 years old, I heard about an upcoming relaunch. 15 years old... wasn't I too OLD for this stuff? But, hey, Marvel announced my favorite author was going to write and draw my favorite character. You can't be too old for good stories.

Of course, I'm talking about JB taking over Amazing plus a new series featuring a revised origin for the Wall Crawler. I mean... that was JOHN BYRNE. John Byrne doing Spider-Man. Niot a dream, an hoax or an imaginary tale! And I was there, I could read that! You can't imagine how hard was to wait for the Italian release... I had big problems in finding American editions, so I had to wait for everything.

Anyway, this was my first American comic book.

It was great to think that this was the same comic book my fellow American readers held in their hands in the same moment. I still have it, of course, and signed by JR Jr. when he came in Italy some years ago.

Date Posted: 22 July 2012 at 4:14pm

And let us not forget Romita's original, painted version!

Of course, ASM Annual # 9 reprinted the magazine's story, hence the reuse of the cover design.

Date Posted: 22 July 2012 at 4:18pm

+++++++++++++

Oh, how I hate the resurrection of Norman Osborn. But, at least it ended the Clone Saga.

And, of course, there's JR JR's gorgeous art!

Speaking of the Clone Saga, this is required reading for anyone interested in the behind-the-scenes story:

http://lifeofreillyarchives.blogspot.com/2008/03/part-1.html - http://lifeofreillyarchives.blogspot.com/2008/03/part-1.html

Date Posted: 22 July 2012 at 4:19pm

I first met the story in its revised version for the annual, so that remains "my" versio. No doubt, the original cover was a great looker and the art by Romita, Sr. must be amazing in larger format. I have to search for the original edition, sooner or later (and no, having the Italian one ISN'T the same!).

Date Posted: 22 July 2012 at 4:21pm

Life of Reilly is a great source for infos about the '90s Spider-Man! Mr. Greenberg did an excellent job (but hey, he was there, so I couldn'expect for anything less)..

Date Posted: 22 July 2012 at 5:06pm

Oh, how I hate the resurrection of Norman Osborn. But, at least it
ended the Clone Saga.

-----

The problem with the resurrection of Norman Osborn and his being the
mastermind of the Clone Saga is that it opened the way for Bendis to
turn him into the Lex Luthor of the Marvel Universe. I'm not sure the
end of the Clone Saga was worth that.

Date Posted: 22 July 2012 at 5:54pm

QUOTE:
Ramos' art is what happens when you don't give a flying f*ck about what you're doing, but you still get paid to do it.

Did he tell you that?

Posted By: Andrew Goletz
Date Posted: 23 July 2012 at 7:04am

QUOTE:
Speaking of the Clone Saga, this is required reading for anyone interested in the behind-the-scenes story:

http://lifeofreillyarchives.blogspot.com/2008/03/part-1.html - http://lifeofreillyarchives.blogspot.com/2008/03/part-1.html

I wrote that with Glenn. Great times.

Date Posted: 23 July 2012 at 7:57am

••

That was my return to Spider-Man, after a break that began around 1964.

When I saw this cover on the spinner rack my first thought was "They're killing Aunt May?" The issue itself was a bit of a disappointment, since I had no idea who Gwen Stacy was, and had only the dimmest memories of the Green Goblin.

Date Posted: 23 July 2012 at 7:59am

••

Just wanted to say...

AR-HHHHGGGHHHH!!!!!

Posted By: Tony Centofanti
Date Posted: 23 July 2012 at 9:32am

This is the first comic I remember asking for. I had some my Dad would get for me, but I pulled this one off the rack at a party store.As a 4 and a 1/2 year old, this one had it all. Action cover, a GREAT Spider-Man vs Doc Ock issue inside, and a Spider-Ham back up. I read this one quite often back then.

Date Posted: 23 July 2012 at 11:20am

The Amazing Spider-Man Annual 2 has the Spider-Man image that is how I always think of the character. It appeared in the corner box (reversed, I believe) of the old Marvel Tales I bought as a kid. The first was Spider-Man 50 and I wasn't aware it wasn't "new" (though it did seem weird to me that the letters page had comments on the issue I was actually reading!)

I have fond memories of Peter Parker Spider-Man 75 because it was one of the first comics I purchased when I moved to New York City. For space and budgetary concerns, I had decided to stop buying comics as regularly as I had before graduating college, but I wanted to see the climax of a not-so-great period for the character -- mostly because it would restore Peter Parker as Spider-Man and when I saw the Romita Jr. cover, I couldn't resist.

Posted By: Mark Haslett
Date Posted: 23 July 2012 at 11:32am

McFarland Spider-Man! Man, I see what JB must have been excited about in McFarland when I look at that McFarland cover.

If that guy had really learned to draw, he would've been GREAT. He seems to want to blend Golden and Wrightson and Byrne/Austin. I'm up for that recipe!

But the underlying drawing is so undisciplined that I cannot say I've ever enjoyed reading a McFarland comic book.

Posted By: Gundars Berzins
Date Posted: 23 July 2012 at 11:47am

Spider-Man is one of my all time favorite characters. As a very young kid I had seen issues of Amazing Spider-Man in the comic book rack. I always picked it up to give it a quick look, since not being able to buy the comic. But when I did buy my first Spider-Man, it started with this one. Talk about a nine year old trying to find back issues back then...

Date Posted: 23 July 2012 at 6:11pm

Way to go, Greg Kirkman! I recognised the imagery from Steve Ditko's "Wondrous Worlds of Doctor Strange" cover, too.

Speaking of Ditko, our host did a quite nice evocation of his work in the one Spectacular Spider-Man he did with Roger Stern.

Even the infamous inks of Vinnie Colletta couldn't hold back JB. He drew Spidey battling a baddie called the Ringer who formed little rings of matter from the dust in the air; our hero was leaping about from panel to panel, ducking and dodging, and sometimes rings would be formed about Spidey's arm or leg, but he'd whip the member in question out again, before the circular traps could solidify, by the next panel.

It was just the way Ditko would have done it.

-------------
From down under

Posted By: Brian Rhodes
Date Posted: 23 July 2012 at 6:26pm

...it started with this one...

It started for me with the next one. The 60's cartoon show had introduced me to the character, and this was my first Spider-Man comic. The cover drew me in (as they shoudl!) and, admittedly, it was mostly for the pictures, at first (hey, had just turned 6!).

I still have it. That cover is long gone...but it's still a good read.  

Date Posted: 23 July 2012 at 6:52pm

That cover is so bizarre -- different colors on Spider-Man. So we can tell them apart?

Date Posted: 23 July 2012 at 10:05pm

So, I've been listening to a number of Spider-Man podcasts, lately. One features a group of guys discussing and reviewing all of the character's appearances, in-depth, beginning with AF # 15.

The other is produced by some of the same guys, and is tackling the Clone Saga, specifically. I just listened to the episode where they covered the infamous SPECTACULAR SPIDER-MAN # 226--where Peter is "revealed" as the clone, and Ben Reilly the original (with Peter violently smacking the pregnant Mary Jane).

The question came up--what is the most controversial Spider-Man story of all time, the Clone Saga or ONE MORE DAY/BRAND NEW DAY?

Sure, there have been others (like THE OTHER and the TROUBLE miniseries, which revealed that Ben and Richard Parker were both banging May, and that she was Peter's real mother), but these two storylines are generally considered to be the standouts.

It's hard to say which one has proven more controversial. If the 'Net was in the 90s what it is now, the Clone Saga would surely have been as hotly debated a topic as the current books are.

And, amazingly enough, despite the years of controversy, the Clone Saga is now being collected into a massive series of trades!

The Clone Saga told us that the Spider-Man we'd known since 1975 was a clone. ONE MORE DAY featured Spider-Man making a deal with the Devil to negate his marriage (apparently so he could be free to have drunken, masked sex with the Black Cat. But I digress...).

Which is worse and more offensive? The world may never know.

Spectacular Spider-Man 1976 226 - At Last - True - Revealed - Confrontation - Trial - Bill Sienkiewicz, Sal Buscema

Amazing Spider-Man 545 - Joe Quesada, Richard Isanove

Date Posted: 23 July 2012 at 10:31pm

Did they ever undo May Parker's maternity to Peter?

Reminds me of trailers for "Jane Austen's Mafia" where Jay Mohr reunites with an old lover and lets her know that they have a child she didn't know about...

Date Posted: 23 July 2012 at 10:48pm

The first Spider-Man Story I recall reading had one of those attention-grabbing Romita covers -

Date Posted: 23 July 2012 at 10:51pm

Did they ever undo May Parker's maternity to Peter?

Reminds me of trailers for "Jane Austen's Mafia" where Jay Mohr
reunites with an old lover and lets her know that they have a child she
didn't know about...
+++++++++++++++++++++

I believe it was deemed non-canon even as it was being published!

Date Posted: 23 July 2012 at 10:56pm

And remember when the "Marvel Universe" was this uncrowded? -

Posted By: Mike Norris
Date Posted: 23 July 2012 at 10:57pm

I was never much a Spider-Man fan. I only bought a hand full of issues of ASM back back in the 60s and 70s. But never missed an episode of the cartoon.

I recall buying this issue:

And these three

I'm sure the fact it was the 100th issue didn't register with me. I probably just liked the covers. Later I traded those three to my best friend for three issues of the Avengers ( Kree-Skrull War!!!) 

Date Posted: 23 July 2012 at 11:10pm

Those covers (issues #100-102) are just terrific.

Who wouldn't want to read those comics?

Date Posted: 24 July 2012 at 12:52am

Let me reassure you, Greg... Trouble isn't in continuity, it never was.
Our luck, no doubt!

Now, what's worse? Peter as a clone or OMD?

I have good memories of the clone saga. I loved most of the art (Buscema and Sinkiewicz, Bagley, Wieringo...) and I liked the Ben Reilly character, who in that moment was more Peter Parker than the original (remember the "I'm the Spider!" phase? Or the fake parents? Argh).
Yet, Spectacular #226 was hard toa ccept for me: they were telling me that I had not met the real deal (being my first story from 1977), and my hero was a copy of the original. I was sure they would had eventually fixed it all, the only question was... "when?". And they did.

On the other hand, we have a storyline which gave us a noble hero dealing with the devil (and his wife does, too; indeed, she's the one who accepts), and this would be bad. But... I cannot forget which moment are we talking about. One more day is merely the last, bad chapter of a long series of "yuck" events in the life of Peter Parker. That was from the same guys who gave us the Spider-Totem, the Parkers living at Avengers tower, aunt May engaged with Jarvis, Peter puppet of Tony Stark, the organical webs. Was OMD bad? Well, yes. But this didn't amaze me after all of that stuff.

Anyway, there was one good thing in OMD: it gave me back Spider-Man. Do you remember the hard luck super hero, with money/work/romance troubles? He was back. Sure, not everything was good, but at least I could ENJOY my favorite character again. And I hadn't enjoyed Spider-Man since JB left!

Date Posted: 24 July 2012 at 4:27am

••

There's an unintended symbolism in that cover.

Due to its essentially liquid nature, when glass breaks the pieces deform, making it impossible to fit them back together like a jigsaw puzzle.

Sort of like Spider-Man.

Date Posted: 25 July 2012 at 8:21pm

I love the six-armed Spider-Man. I know it couldn't work long-term, but I'd have to have this Spider-Man star in any story I came up with. 

Posted By: Stephen Bergstrom
Date Posted: 25 July 2012 at 8:51pm

Man, I quickly leafed through this week's ASM...

...Won't be doing that again anytime soon. Ew.

-------------
In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night, No Evil Shall Escape my Sight. Let Those Who Worship Evil's Might, Beware My Power, GREEN LANTERN'S Light!

Date Posted: 25 July 2012 at 8:58pm

I just noticed something. I started on the latest ESSENTIAL volume of AMAZING ( Vol 11) over the past weekend. I'm absolutely flying thru it. Spider-Man's never been my favorite character ( one of them, but not the top) but I'd have to say it's easier reading that series* than just about any other series. What is it that makes it such a pleasure, I wonder.

* Not recent books.

Date Posted: 25 July 2012 at 10:16pm

Vol 11 collects the bulk of the Stern/Romita Jr. stories. Magical stuff.

Date Posted: 26 July 2012 at 12:32am

John Byrne:

QUOTE:
Due to its essentially liquid nature, when glass breaks the pieces deform, making it impossible to fit them back together like a jigsaw puzzle.Sort of like Spider-Man.

JB, you're well known for your ability in fixing characters who would seem broken. And Spider-Man, when you jumped aboard during the late '90s, needed to be fixed a bit (despite Howard Mackie and the three "DEs" did a good job after the clone saga). Yet, when reading your run, which I appreciated, I felt this was for you a different assignment from, I dunno, FF or Superman. Just like... fixing Spider-Man were actually impossible!
It almost turns out that, after the wedding, whatever an author would do, was wrong for most of the readers. And the only stories appreciated by "fans"... were those who removed Spider-Man from his core concepts. So I wondered, did you receive any diktats from Marvel? Was there stuff you wanted to do but they didn't allow to happen?

Date Posted: 27 July 2012 at 9:49pm

Just to clarify what I said above, in case anyone's listening:

I meant to say that JB was influenced, even evoked Ditko in that Ringer story.

I didn't mean that he copied him, as in the material Mr. Kirkman and others posted.

-------------
From down under

Date Posted: 28 July 2012 at 5:12am

JB, you're well known for your ability in fixing characters who would seem broken. And Spider-Man, when you jumped aboard during the late '90s, needed to be fixed a bit (despite Howard Mackie and the three "DEs" did a good job after the clone saga). Yet, when reading your run, which I appreciated, I felt this was for you a different assignment from, I dunno, FF or Superman. Just like... fixing Spider-Man were actually impossible!

••

Very, very, very briefly, Howard and I contemplated a scenario in which the Shaper of Worlds altered reality around Peter Parker. The ultimate house cleaning. Basically, we would have hit "rewind" and everything would have gone back to when Parker was in College. The rest of the Marvel Universe would have remained the same, and to add a touch of angst and agita, Peter would, for a while, remember how it was before the Shaper's intervention. Eventually, these memories would fade in the face of the new reality.

Howard and I realized two things, in approximately this order: there were too many writers working at Marvel who would do stories in their books to DELIBERATELY SABOTAGE what we were doing (sad but true), and, in the end, our story was too "cosmic" for a "street level" character like Spider-Man.

Does sound hauntingly familiar tho, doesn't it?

Date Posted: 28 July 2012 at 6:09am

Your fault, JB: you had to choose a deus ex machina like, say, Mephisto. Oh, wait a...

Anyway, your words confirm that fixing Spider-Man without breaking some egg would prove itself extremely hard!
I have been enjoying Spider-Man in these past 4 years but heck, they had to use a demon to fix it all! Argh!

Date Posted: 28 July 2012 at 6:11am

Recently picked up your Spider-Man collections JB, which came out when I was no longer picking up comics. Chapter One is a fantastic collection but what a joy The Next Chapter collections are, alternating between yourself and JRJR.

There's another collection out next month which I'm really looking forward to!

-------------

Date Posted: 28 July 2012 at 6:25am

…what a joy The Next Chapter collections are, alternating between yourself and JRJR.

••

There was only one downside, for me, in that particular adventure.

When we were gearing up, Howard, editor Ralph Macchio and I agreed that the two Spider-Titles would be handled as separate books, not a bi-weekly. We decided that the one I was working on would concentrate mostly on Peter's job, while the other would focus more on life at home and the Bugle.

Almost unconsciously, tho, within a very short time the stories started splitting, part one in my book, part two in JR's. I found myself doing a lot of set-ups without conclusions. Which was less fulfilling than working on a Spider-Man book should have been!

Date Posted: 28 July 2012 at 6:37am

Still not as bad as when I was collecting comics in the early 90's. I tried to read Spider-Man and at this point I was still buying from newsagents but I don't think I once picked up a self contained issue...or even a part one for that matter. I eventually gave up trying.

-------------

Date Posted: 28 July 2012 at 6:42am

Almost unconsciously, tho, within a very short time the stories started splitting, part one in my book, part two in JR's. I found myself doing a lot of set-ups without conclusions. Which was less fulfilling than working on a Spider-Man book should have been!

+++

Still not as bad as when I was collecting comics in the early 90's. I tried to read Spider-Man and at this point I was still buying from newsagents but I don't think I once picked up a self contained issue...or even a part one for that matter. I eventually gave up trying.

••

You're not seriously suggesting that the frustration of not being able to BUY complete stories is in any way GREATER than the frustration of not being able to CREATE complete stories?

Date Posted: 28 July 2012 at 6:45am

Sorry, no! I just meant the story being carried over from one title to the next. What I had was a minor inconvenience in comparison I'm sure!

-------------

Date Posted: 28 July 2012 at 6:46am

Actually a minor inconvenience regardless of comparison.

And what I meant was that the story having to be continued in just one other title was a big improvement from my days collecting.

-------------

Posted By: Matt Hawes
Date Posted: 28 July 2012 at 8:41am

John Byrne wrote:
...Very, very, very briefly, Howard and I contemplated a scenario in which the Shaper of Worlds altered reality around Peter Parker...

Despite how the idea was too cosmic for Spider-Man, I much prefer the solution you two came up with over what we got: Peter Parker makes a deal with someone who, for pretty much all intent and purposes, the Devil (Mephisto), and the Devil wins. No matter what, I never see Peter making a deal with any villain like that, particularly a demonic entity. 

Date Posted: 28 July 2012 at 8:47am

I don't think I'd want to save the life of an elderly person at the expense of my relationship with my partner...especially in a deal with a devil.

-------------

Date Posted: 28 July 2012 at 9:47am

Especially given this, as presented, in the lead up to One More Day:

Date Posted: 28 July 2012 at 9:54am

So THAT'S where the Joker has been hiding!

Date Posted: 28 July 2012 at 10:07am

Man! That's just creepy looking.

Date Posted: 29 July 2012 at 3:34pm

Ditko's Aunt May wasn't exactly pleasing to the eye, but that....yikes.

Posted By: Vinny Valenti
Date Posted: 29 July 2012 at 5:07pm

I did have one gripe about your ASM run with Howard Mackie - in your final issue, there was a scene with Spider-man holding up the wires for the Roosevelt Island Tram with both arms, in order to keep the tram willed with people from falling into the river. But then the scene cut to Peter hours later.

I wanted to know how he got out of that predicament!!!

Date Posted: 29 July 2012 at 5:43pm

That is one ugly Aunt May. She looks like one of Mr. Rogers' puppets.

Date Posted: 29 July 2012 at 6:42pm

She looks like one of Mr. Rogers' puppets.

Lady Elaine Fairchilde

Date Posted: 01 August 2012 at 2:09pm

I mentioned this in my initial post, but to actually see it...gah!!!!

Date Posted: 01 August 2012 at 2:26pm

Wow. Its one thing for one guy to have a bad idea....but how do you get a group of  folks to participate in the mess?

There's not a grown up in the room that would say..... "whoa guys... this is too far." ?

Date Posted: 01 August 2012 at 2:38pm

And, of course, there's Spider-Man and the Black Cat getting it on while wearing their masks, and also getting it on in a hotel room they didn't pay for and being interrupted by newlyweds who did pay for the room.

To think--there was once a time where kids had to buy comics to get their superhero fix, and then track down XXX mags for their wanking material. Now, they can get it all in one convenient package!

wankwankwankwankwankwank

How much luckier can you get when she doesn't even want to bother with names :P

And he also apparently had a drunken one-nighter with his female roomie after Aunt May's wedding to J.J. Jameson, Sr, which later allowed the Chameleon (impersonating Pakrer) to also bang her.

So, apparently, deals with Mephisto aren't all bad, since he'll hook you up with lots of pussy...

...cats.

*Ahem.*

Please excuse me, but I find that sharing my pain makes me feel a little better.

Oh, how I wish that I could unsee and unread things. No more morbidly curious Google searches for me. I'm going back to my Masterworks, now...

Date Posted: 01 August 2012 at 3:01pm

And he also apparently had a drunken one-nighter with his female
roomie after Aunt May's wedding to J.J. Jameson, Sr, which later
allowed the Chameleon (impersonating Pakrer) to also bang her.

-----

It was clarified or retconned that it went no further than a make out
session. There was a lot of controversy over that scene, since it can be
considered rape. I doubt the clarification was in response to the uproar,
since it came two issues later during the period when ASM was coming
out three times a month.

Date Posted: 01 August 2012 at 3:14pm

Why is the pillow glued to the wall in the roommate sex panel?

Date Posted: 01 August 2012 at 3:21pm

I didn't find the scene with Aunt May and Jonah Sr objectionable. It was a good gag, and the worst we see is May's naked shoulders.

The Black Cat stuff was a bit too far into PG-13 territory for the title in my opinion.

Posted By: Ronald Joseph
Date Posted: 01 August 2012 at 3:29pm

It was all crap.  

Crap.  Crap.  Crap.

Date Posted: 01 August 2012 at 4:25pm

I didn't find the scene with Aunt May and Jonah Sr objectionable. It was a good gag, and the worst we see is May's naked shoulders.

++++++++++

But is it something May Parker would do? Secretly hopping into bed with--and then marrying--Peter's employer's father?

Even Doctor Octopus had a long courtship with May before he popped the question!

I eagerly await a story where he tentacle-rapes May, Manga-style, because she never put out.

++++++++++++++

The Black Cat stuff was a bit too far into PG-13 territory for the title in my opinion.

++++++++++++

And are these things Peter Parker would do? The casual, masked, drunken (or not, since it was apparently ginger ale) sex? Sneaking into a booked hotel room to get it on with the Cat?

The actual sexual content is one thing (...and not suited for Spider-Man comics, I think. Previous stories dealing with such matters have mostly been much more sly and all-ages friendly.).

The actions of these specific characters are another thing altogether. These don't come anywhere close to being the characters I know.

Date Posted: 01 August 2012 at 4:32pm

Why is the pillow glued to the wall in the roommate sex panel?

+++++++++++++++

Maybe he had a web dream.

Date Posted: 01 August 2012 at 5:08pm

The actions of these specific characters are another thing altogether. These don't come anywhere close to being the characters I know.

The actions and words -- the whole thing comes off to me like a bad, drawn out attempt to do something from MAD magazine's "Scenes We'd Like To See" feature.

A gag that Sergio Aragones would do in one panel, no dialogue, maybe even crammed into the margins of the page-- M**vel sees fit to do a whole issue on.

Date Posted: 01 August 2012 at 5:13pm

QUOTE:
But is it something May Parker would do? Secretly hopping into bed with--and then marrying--Peter's employer's father?

There was no secretiveness about it. Peter was out of the loop because he'd been on an adventure with the Fantastic Four in another dimension. Whilst only hours had passed from his perspective, he arrived home to find that weeks had gone by.

I don't see why it wouldn't be in character for May to fall in love and remarry. She was engaged to Nathan Lubensky for quite a while, and Jonah Sr is a real stand up guy.

Date Posted: 01 August 2012 at 5:30pm

There was no secretiveness about it. Peter was out of the loop because he'd been on an adventure with the Fantastic Four in another dimension. Whilst only hours had passed from his perspective, he arrived home to find that weeks had gone by.
++++++++++

Okay, fair enough. But the May Parker I know would be deeply worried if her beloved nephew were missing for weeks. Was that the case, here? Or was she too busy knocking dentures (with a guy she'd apparently met not too long before) to notice?

Date Posted: 01 August 2012 at 5:56pm

Those scenes are disgusting. "HEY KIDS COMICS!" Indeed!

Date Posted: 01 August 2012 at 6:26pm

That was JJJ's dad?!?  How frickin' old is the guy? 90?

( And none of that shit belongs in a Spider-Man comic).

Date Posted: 01 August 2012 at 6:29pm

QUOTE:
Okay, fair enough. But the May Parker I know would be deeply worried if her beloved nephew were missing for weeks. Was that the case, here? Or was she too busy knocking dentures (with a guy she'd apparently met not too long before) to notice?

From what I recall she was concerned about him never being in when she phoned/visited. A lot of the supporting cast dismissed it as typical Peter Parker flakiness (because they don't know he's secretly Spider-Man).

Date Posted: 01 August 2012 at 6:42pm

Has J Jonah Jameson's age ever been disclosed?

I hear he appeared in an issue of Sgt Fury, but then so did Reed Richards. He seems like he's in his 40s or 50s to me.

Date Posted: 01 August 2012 at 6:49pm

Has J Jonah Jameson's age ever been disclosed?

••

When Roger Stern and I were doing CAPTAIN AMERICA in the late Seventies, we flashed back to a young Jonah as a reporter getting one of the first photos of Cap in action. That would have been about 40 years earlier, and assuming Jonah to be in his early 20s at the time, that would have put him in his 60s in "present day" Marvel. Which seems about right given the apparent age of his adult son.

Date Posted: 01 August 2012 at 6:59pm

SER: Primal scene is a "great gag" in comics? And that's also the "to be continued" splash? Rather than, you know, a villain looming over the hero?

I recall the Spider-Man/Catwom... er Black Cat relationship was suitably "hot" when I was a kid without overtly stating that they were physically intimate. Of course, I tend to think most sex scenes are gratuitous (LAST TANGO IN PARIS and BASIC INSTINCT being two exceptions).

Date Posted: 01 August 2012 at 6:59pm

Unlce Ben used to look a little like Jameson-- so I guess the whole thing makes sense afterall @

@=sarcasm

Date Posted: 01 August 2012 at 7:02pm

That page is actually from a 1962 Strange Tales (#97).

Date Posted: 01 August 2012 at 7:05pm

••

I slipped a very subtle reference to that story into the first issue of CHAPTER ONE.

Date Posted: 01 August 2012 at 7:33pm

QUOTE:
That page is actually from a 1962 Strange Tales (#97).

Yeah, yeah I'd say that is pretty strange.

Posted By: Wallace Sellars
Date Posted: 01 August 2012 at 7:33pm

Poor Spider-Man...

Date Posted: 01 August 2012 at 7:38pm

JB: I slipped a very subtle reference to that story into the first issue of CHAPTER ONE.
I missed it, I'm going back. How cool!

When did you hear about this Strange Tales story, JB?

Date Posted: 01 August 2012 at 8:23pm

I remember reading that Ben and May story as a back up in Spiderman issue with Ka-zar. 

The unanswered question is: did Lee or Ditko say "that was a nice couple in that mermaid story" and knowingly dust them off, or did they just forget and consider Uncle Ben and Aunt May as stock names/characters? 

Posted By: Sam Karns
Date Posted: 01 August 2012 at 11:43pm

I had no knowledge of this tale before this thread.  I would love to read this tale.  Steve Ditko's art is interesting, it always had a Twilight Zone feel that draws me into the story.

Date Posted: 02 August 2012 at 9:07pm

I don't know if it's real, but what a beautiful beautiful thing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1975-ROMITA-SPIDER-MAN-MARVEL-COMIC- POSTER-LIZARD-GREEN-GOBLIN-MARVELMANIA-1970s-/200748674282#h t_1692wt_910 - http://www.ebay.com/itm/1975-ROMITA-SPIDER-MAN-MARVEL-COMIC- POSTER-LIZARD-GREEN-GOBLIN-MARVELMANIA-1970s-/200748674282#h t_1692wt_910

EDIT, by the by, nobody drew the Rhino as cool as JR Sr.

Date Posted: 04 August 2012 at 3:02pm

This is my dream come true, finally. 

Date Posted: 04 August 2012 at 3:53pm

What's that from?!?!?

Date Posted: 04 August 2012 at 9:31pm

That is dripping with awesomesauce, Chad.

Date Posted: 05 August 2012 at 12:19am

About the scenes posted by Greg...

Aunt May and JJJ Sr.: now THAT was disgusting. Wait. I don't mean Aunt May should be alone for the rest of her life. Personally, I enjoyed the introduction of Jonah's father, my favorite among the new supporting characters, and I found quite good an idea making him May's mate.
But... why the heck had they to show us those two in a bed together? "Hey, we want you to see Peter Parker embarassed! He just saw two old geezers together! Isn't this so 'yeuch'?".

Spider-Man and the Black Cat: I had no problems with that particular scene. Peter doesn't want to be recognized, so if he wants to sleep with Felicia, he has to wear it.

Peter and Michele: not sure I liked that, seeing Peter used as a toy by this unknown girl. Yet, this was used to start a nice subplot on the pair's love/erotic tension.  if I recall correctly, anyway, it was stated some issues later that nothing happened.

Chad: that strip is so sweet!

Date Posted: 05 August 2012 at 12:34am

Sorry.  Spider-Man is my favorite superhero.  The Peanuts is my favorite comic strip.  Both have been that way for me for decades. Bar none.  That said?  I'll be a big ol' meanie and say that Charlie Brown should never get to kick the football. It's the essence of who he his.  Kick the football and he's a different guy. 

-------------

Posted By: Brandon Carter
Date Posted: 05 August 2012 at 12:53am

Charlie Brown also got to kick the football in the 1981 animated special, It's Magic, Charlie Brown.

Date Posted: 05 August 2012 at 6:47am

Sorry. Spider-Man is my favorite superhero. The Peanuts is my favorite comic strip. Both have been that way for me for decades. Bar none. That said? I'll be a big ol' meanie and say that Charlie Brown should never get to kick the football. It's the essence of who he his. Kick the football and he's a different guy.

++

Charlie Brown also got to kick the football in the 1981 animated special, It's Magic, Charlie Brown.

••

The PEANUTS Valentine special also showed us the Little Red Haired Girl.

Sometimes people make mistakes.

Date Posted: 05 August 2012 at 9:22am

Among my first experiences with Spider-Man:

But the first was six-armed Spider-Man in 102 and then 112.

Date Posted: 05 August 2012 at 9:25am

Is that actually Charles Schulz's art on the "Peanuts" strip Chad posted? Only the first panel with Lucy, and the other one where she is holding the ball in the fourth panel looks like his work to me. The other panels don't look like Schulz, though. Romita did Spider-Man, I think it's safe to assume. Did Burkey (I'm not sure who that is) do the rest?

Date Posted: 05 August 2012 at 9:27am

Regardless, the PEANUTS strip above is surely not "canonical."  All in good fun... no problems with Charlie Brown kicking the football in that one.

Date Posted: 05 August 2012 at 9:28am

Francesco wrote:
...Spider-Man and the Black Cat: I had no problems with that particular scene. Peter doesn't want to be recognized, so if he wants to sleep with Felicia, he has to wear it...

I thought it had less to do with Spider-Man keeping his identity a secret than it had to do with the Black Cat's fetish for having a thing for the "Spider-Man" persona. As I recall, she didn't care who he really is.

Date Posted: 05 August 2012 at 9:31am

I searched and found some info on the PEANUTS strip:

http://io9.com/5876256/charlie-brown-finally-kicks-the-footb all-with-a-little-help-from-spider+man - The Romita Legacy.

Edited to add: The art on Snoopy for the Red Baron/Spider-Man strip in the article I linked to above is definitely not by Schulz. I think it's entirely Romita on that one.

Posted By: Craig Robinson
Date Posted: 05 August 2012 at 9:31am

Those vibrant colors remind me of a rant* I enjoyed a few weeks back about how the advances of HD filming in comic book movies are offset by this trend to de-saturate the costume colors.

I'd pay very good money to see above costume in movie.  Exactly as is.

*Was either Nerdist or SModcast, can't recall.

Date Posted: 05 August 2012 at 3:57pm

Regardless, the PEANUTS strip above is surely not "canonical."  All in good fun... no problems with Charlie Brown kicking the football in that one.

++++++++++

I agree. It doesn't seem any different to me than a convention sketch or a "what if?" story. Just a fun little way of having Spider-Man guest-star in a non-canonical strip, or possibly just a fun one-off by Romita, imitating Schultz.

Date Posted: 05 August 2012 at 9:26pm

Mike Burkey, aka The Romita Man, is an art collector and dealer.  He's got tons and tons of Spider-Man art, John Romita's a friend of his, and this was either a commission or a thank-you present.  Compared to other Peanuts homages, at least this one doesn't drastically alter the tone of the strip for its punchline.

Date Posted: 06 August 2012 at 9:58pm

Oh, hey! I forgot to mention that Kraven is back from the dead! And he
has, like, a bunch of kids.

Date Posted: 06 August 2012 at 10:11pm

Of course!  Multiple Hulks.  Multiple Wolverines.  Several She-Hulks. Bunches of Spider-Men.  Hell, even Aunt May wore Iron Man armor.  Kraven having a bunch of little Kravens is par for the course.

-------------

Posted By: Robbie Parry
Date Posted: 07 August 2012 at 5:12am

Several She-Hulks? Aunt May wearing Iron Man armour? I didn't know about those, kind of glad I'm not buying much Marvel nowadays. You can have too much of a good thing.

I posted a topic about the He-Man movie in the movies thread. I liked that franchise very much, it's one of my favourite of all time. That said, wouldn't have enjoyed it if there were 3 or 4 He-Men, multiple Skeletors, etc. Each character in the He-Man franchise is unique (okay, He-Man has an evil double), but that's the way I like it.

Date Posted: 07 August 2012 at 5:20am

It's all part of the infections seeping back and forth between Marvel and DC since the talent started flowing easily between the companies.

Back in the day, one of the ways to distinguish Marvel from DC was that each Marvel character was unique. Oh, sure, there were two Human Torches -- but not when Johnny Storm first appeared in FF 1. Stan and Jack were not building "continuity" with early Marvel/Timely/Atlas product. That would come quite a bit later. And the Hulk was created in a rather shameless attempt to cash in on the popularity of the Thing -- but originally that failed and the Hulk's book only lasted six issues.

DC, on the other hand, from very early on, set about relentlessly "de-uniquing" their characters. Superman was "sole survivor of the doomed planet Krypton", and they respected that for a while, even as Superboy was introduced into the mix (same character, just younger). But soon there was a cousin, a dog, a cat, a horse -- a city of one billion people!!

The Flash took about eight minutes to develop a kid version of himself -- a separate character, this time.

Green Lantern was relaunched in the Fifties, and the whole CONCEPT of the relaunch was that he was not unique. Ditto for Hawkman.

On and on. And now, it's the same at Marvel. Almost PATHOLOGICALLY the same, in fact. As if "creators" at Marvel and DC are somehow COMPELLED to copy each others mistakes.

Posted By: Valmor J. Pedretti
Date Posted: 07 August 2012 at 5:48am

Damn, JB! I guess that means we won't be seeing the Teen Triplets on IDW any time soon!

Edit: Wait, wait, aren't the main character teens already (or at least very young)? Let's make it the Pre-Teen Triplets then! That's an easy to say comic book title!!!! :-)

Date Posted: 07 August 2012 at 5:48am

It seems that few people can resist the temptation to de-unique any character, comic book or otherwise.

A lot of TV shows have done it. Was KITT a one-of-a-kind car in KNIGHT RIDER? Yes, until KARR, the original prototype, appeared. In AIRWOLF, the billion-dollar helicopter was a one-of-a-kind chopper - until it was revealed there was an earlier version. And another version later on, in the fourth season. And if $6m wasn't enough for one bionic man, there was a second one costing $7m, plus a bionic dog, too.

Perhaps some people just cannot resist the temptation. I wish they would keep characters special, though.

Date Posted: 07 August 2012 at 5:59am

Funny thing is, I suspect a lot of the de-uniquing of Marvel characters has come about due to the influx of fans-turned-pro in the past few decades -- but not for the reason you might think.

One thing I have noticed a lot of fans seem to love to "create" is copies of various Marvel and DC characters, so it would not be surprising to find them doing the same thing when actually offered a chance to do so. But I think there's a different slice of the fan mentality at work, too.

One way Marvel cashed in on, to multiply their characters without "de-uniquing", was to put them in multiple titles. Spider-Man got multiple titles. Via reprints, at first, the FF, the X-Men, the Avengers got multiple titles. But one of the things I noticed when I joined the industry, in the Seventies, was that some of the more anal fans complained about multiple titles, as they had trouble "fitting them together". Cottage industries arose, in fact, based on figuring out where all the pieces of the "jigsaw puzzle" fit. "When did Spider-Man have time to link up with Daredevil in TRAM UP if he was fighting Doc Ock in AMAZING and Kraven in SPECTACULAR?" "Well, if this happened between these two panels, and that happened as the page was turning here, and. . . "

In the end, it's easier to just have multiple iterations of the characters.

And then put THEM in multiple titles!!!!

Date Posted: 07 August 2012 at 6:06am

If that is true, then how depressing! And what a strange mentality to have.

Personally, and I'm sure others here will say the same, I never bothered myself about fitting it all together. If Thor appeared in three titles in one month, and had a cameo in a Spider-Man title, then so what? Just because, say, three books are released in the same month, doesn't mean the adventures all took place at the same time.

Sometimes you just have to go with the flow and enjoy each and every tale on it's own merits.

Date Posted: 07 August 2012 at 7:11am

The problem of "fitting it all together" -- and you might be surprised to learn who some of the people are who have this bug! -- seems in part to spring from a parallel notion, that being that all the books that come out in a given week HAPPEN in that week.

The contextual evidence is usually very much against this notion (especially in these days of "decompressed storytelling"). The FF may be in part three of an adventure which, for them, takes maybe half a day, while Spider-Man is in part two of an adventure that has so far covered several weeks of his life. Obviously, these cannot be "moments" that happen at the same time.

I did what I thought to be a subtle parody of this, in an issue of SUPERMAN where is powers were running out of control. When it came time for his super-hearing to be on the fritz, I had the editorial office gather balloons from all the books that came out the same month. Unfortunately, rather than seeing this as my little "joke", many readers apparently took it as confirmation that all those moments were happening at exactly the same time.

Date Posted: 07 August 2012 at 7:50am

QUOTE:
The problem of "fitting it all together" -- and you might be surprised to learn who some of the people are who have this bug! -- seems in part to spring from a parallel notion, that being that all the books that come out in a given week HAPPEN in that week.

I can't understand why anyone would even want to fit it all together.

Suppose one issue of Spider-Man has him chasing a burglar across town, capturing him and handing him over to the cops, before going to change into Peter Parker and help Aunt May. That may equate to one night in Spider-Man's book.

Over in a Thor comic, released that same month, Thor could be trapped in a demonic realm for weeks. So despite both books being released in the same month, the adventures can't be happening at the same time.

Really, it's quite bizarre to even expect it to happen. A three-part FF adventure, which from our perspective takes 3 months to be told, could well equate to one night in New York. On the other side of the coin, one Spider-Man issue in a month could equate to several months in Spider-Man's world.

I always keep it simple if anyone gets too pedantic when discussing "real time". If Spider-Man gets beaten up by The Rhino in an alley in one issue and then awakens and recovers in the next issue, well it may take one month between stories for us, but I doubt Spider-Man spent one whole month lying in an alley.

Date Posted: 07 August 2012 at 11:53am

Incidentally, it seems that the Hulk's entire classic supporting cast have now become Hulk-like monsters.

Rick Jones became a new Abomination, called "A-Bomb".

General Ross is the Red Hulk.

Betty Ross is the Red She-Hulk.

And the Hulk himself has a Hulk-like son.

Surely, these developments would have been laughed off as bad fanfic or bad "What If?" stories back in the day, right? And they would never have been printed in actual, canonical, professionally-published Marvel comics, right?

Remember the days when there was only ONE Hulk, who would become furious at even the idea of there being any other Hulk, or Hulk-like creature?

Today, these other Hulks are fully-canonical story developments, and are the basis of action figures and the like.

Up is down. Black is white. Left is right. Everything is wrong and absurd. It'd be hilarious if it wasn't so pathetic.

Date Posted: 07 August 2012 at 12:03pm

QUOTE:
Surely, these developments would have been laughed off as bad fanfic or bad "What If?" stories back in the day, right? And they would never have been printed in actual, canonical, professionally-published Marvel comics, right?

Indeed. The "What If?" title used to be the perfect place for such stories, but it seems that, with a lack of "What If?" now, all the crazy stuff is in the mainstream books now. It's depressing.

Date Posted: 07 August 2012 at 12:17pm

It'd be hilarious if it wasn't so pathetic.

It's a joke. I've read interviews in which the writers say they had a "DUH" moment.  "Why didn't we think of this sooner?"  The reality is every writer from Stan Lee on DID think of it!  Along with most comics readers in 7th grade!  They just didn't use it in a story because it's pityfully lame and if they did try to write it in a story, it would've gotten shot down by editorial.  At least before about 1995.  They actually think they are being cutting edge and provocative, when in reality they are writing story arcs that wouldn't have a chance of making the cut in years passed.

I'm not talking just about the Hulk Corps.  but Spider-Man and Wolverine being Avengers, I know there are many other examples but I've blocked them out. 

How has this happened?  How did the bar drop so low?

Date Posted: 07 August 2012 at 12:33pm

1963:

1977:

2011:

Date Posted: 07 August 2012 at 12:39pm

How many Marvel characters introduced after Wolverine and The Punisher (both around 40 years old at this point) have been able to carry a decent-selling title?  Maybe Cable and Deadpool, who are now 20 years old.  Keep in mind that Wolverine, Cable and Deadpool are all part of the popular X-Men franchise, and whenever Punisher needs a reboot, he just needs to show up in a Spider-Man book again.

If fans won't support anything really new from Marvel, and we've got about four decades of evidence supporting that, and if Marvel's not going to reward you for your new characters, why create anything other than derivative characters for them?  Red Hulk is probably Marvel's most high-profile character in the past ten years, or maybe Bucky as The Winter Soldier.  If you want to read about new concepts and ideas, you'll have to branch out farther than Marvel and DC in your reading.  

Date Posted: 07 August 2012 at 12:42pm

Spider-Man in the FF and the Avengers, Wolverine and Dr. Strange as Avengers, Wolverine and Cyclops switching personalities, Batman with his son as Robin, Juggernaut and Emma Frost and Namor as X-Men, multiple Hulks...the list keeps getting longer and stupider!  

Date Posted: 07 August 2012 at 12:44pm

At least they didn't bring back Bucky as a porn star named "F***y".

Date Posted: 07 August 2012 at 12:54pm

And the Hulk himself has a Hulk-like son.

-----

You forgot his test tube baby with Thundra, who is a second She-Hulk.

Date Posted: 07 August 2012 at 1:10pm

Spider-Man in the FF and the Avengers, Wolverine and Dr. Strange as Avengers, Wolverine and Cyclops switching personalities, Batman with his son as Robin, Juggernaut and Emma Frost and Namor as X-Men, multiple Hulks...the list keeps getting longer and stupider!

••

There's probably another factor at work here, besides a lack of creativity. When I joined Marvel in the 1970s, a general mantra from "creators" was "I am not going to create anything for Marvel! I don't want to give them the next Spider-Man!"

Generally, we were well aware that the people making this claim were highly unlikely to "create the next Spider-Man" (and nobody noticed that "the next Spider-Man", Wolverine, had already been created!). But it sounded lofty, and was a good disguise for creative bankruptcy and/or laziness.

Now that properties are being sucked up by Hollywood in huge quantities, it seems not altogether unlikely that this kind of thinking is once again informing the "creative" process. Put Spider-Man in the FF, and the fanboys sit up and take notice -- and you haven't risked "losing" some brilliant creation of your own!

Date Posted: 07 August 2012 at 1:14pm

At least they didn't bring back Bucky as a porn star named "F***y".

••

Don't joke! That's exactly how Karen Page's descent into porn started!

Posted By: Bill Collins
Date Posted: 07 August 2012 at 2:13pm

Don`t forget all the people wearing Iron Man armour now,even Pepper! Not to mention that they publish 2 Invincible Iron Man issues a month,but i bet the story doesn`t advance twice as fast!

Date Posted: 07 August 2012 at 2:17pm

...cue next year's company-wide relanch--MARVEL-X, where all our favorite characters are reimagined as pornstars.

* Be awestruck by the prowess of Mr. Fantastic, Freak of C***!

* Shudder at the scat-tastic antics of the Hulk and the Thing in "Two Monsters, One Cup"!

* Be thrilled when Wanda Maximoff takes on all of the Avengers--past and present--in "Deeper than Scarlet"!

* Be amazed when Spider-Man shows off just how much sticky web-fluid he can eject from his shooter with just the slightest pressure of any finger!

Seriously, just how far away from this becoming a reality are we?

Gaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!

Posted By: Valmor J. Pedretti
Date Posted: 07 August 2012 at 3:00pm

Maybe in the end it was an advantage having comics published in such chaotic form when I was a kid.

Titles were bundled in 80 page digests, chronology was like 3 years behind the US, and some stories got published, some don't. It took a long time for things to get lined up with the american comics (by this time I was already buying the "real deal"), but this never ruined it for me.

Date Posted: 07 August 2012 at 3:30pm

* Be awestruck by the prowess of Mr. Fantastic, Freak of C***!

As he battles his arch-nemesis, Dr. Do Me!

Date Posted: 07 August 2012 at 3:43pm

I hate to imagine what The Silver Surfer rides on.

What would Reed Richards name be in this reality?

Date Posted: 07 August 2012 at 4:26pm

Reed Dickers. Y'know, 'cause "Dick" is short for "Richard".

Date Posted: 07 August 2012 at 4:28pm

What would Reed Richards name be in this reality?

Rod Rockhard.

...I know I'm gonna get scolded sooner or later...

Date Posted: 07 August 2012 at 4:28pm

If Sue Storm was a virgin in this reality, she could be The Invincible Hyman.

Date Posted: 07 August 2012 at 4:29pm

Maybe there's a gender switch and it's Amy Reid Richards.

(There! I admit to knowing the name of a porn star. Or two. Or three...)

Date Posted: 07 August 2012 at 4:29pm

Nicely done, JB.

Date Posted: 07 August 2012 at 4:33pm

If Sue Storm was a virgin in this reality, she could be The Invincible Hyman.

+++++++++++

Even in the "real" Marvel Universe, she's still the Invisible Hymen!

Ohhhh, man.

Mebbe we should get back to celebrating freaking Spider-Man's anniversary, before this goes too far beyond too far!

Date Posted: 07 August 2012 at 4:36pm

…before this goes too far beyond too far!

••

On THIS Forum??

Date Posted: 07 August 2012 at 4:37pm

I searched and found some info on the PEANUTS strip:

http://io9.com/5876256/charlie-brown-finally-kicks-the-footb all-with-a-little-help-from-spider+man" style="font-weight: normal; - The Romita Legacy.

Edited to add: The art on Snoopy for the Red Baron/Spider-Man strip in the article I linked to above is definitely not by Schulz. I think it's entirely Romita on that one

I'd just found the image, I believe, and unsure where it came from. Thanks so much for the research on this.

Date Posted: 07 August 2012 at 4:41pm

I'd like to explain my misspelling of the word "hymen," as I think it's a fairly funny story:

A friend of mine gave me a box of comics years ago.  Among them was an old issue of Amazing Spider-Man; maybe Hydro-Man's first appearance.

Anyway, someone had taken a marker and crossed out the "dro" from Hydro-Man every time his name popped up, so Spider Man was fighting "Hyman" the entire issue!

...and twenty years later, my brain still defaults to that spelling...

Date Posted: 07 August 2012 at 4:50pm

Ok.  Maybe I'm the only one to have done this (I seriously doubt it) but I said if I were ever to enter the adult movie industry, my screen name would be...Neil Shillelagh.

Date Posted: 07 August 2012 at 4:53pm

Loved this novel when I was a kid. 

Date Posted: 07 August 2012 at 5:03pm

Not read too many Spider-Man novels, Chad. What was that one about?

Date Posted: 07 August 2012 at 5:26pm

I remember reading that one. I seem to recall Spider-Man was played a whole lot like Batman!

Date Posted: 07 August 2012 at 5:31pm

I just can't get into superhero novels.  I want the panels and colors and amazing visuals.  

I did read two Hellboy novels at the urging of a friend and they seemed to work OK for me.  

Maybe it's an acquired taste? 

Date Posted: 07 August 2012 at 5:35pm

I thought similar things myself, Ronald. I did a topic a while back asking about the appeal of novels - and several people sold me on the idea.

I did have an adventure gamebook novel featuring Spider-Man in the 80s, plus a Spider-Man/Hulk novel, which I did enjoy. Perhaps it is an acquired taste, but definitely a taste worth having!

I don't know if it'd be different for a person picking up a superhero novel who had never read a single comic in his life, but as a superhero fan, I can say that since I've read some novels, my own experiences of comics along with my imagination when reading the novels have helped make the experience positive.

Date Posted: 07 August 2012 at 6:37pm

Perhaps it is an acquired taste, but definitely a taste worth having!

I'd definitely be open to giving them another shot.  I am all up to date on the several different novel series that I've been following and wouldn't mind trying something new.

Are there any that you (or anyone else, for that matter) would recommend?    

Posted By: Lars Sandmark
Date Posted: 07 August 2012 at 8:22pm

LOVE that cover to the Spider-man novel. Should have been a poster!

Also,
Andrew wrote:
"If you want to read about new concepts and ideas you'll have to branch out farther than Marvel and DC in your reading."

How sad is that?
It's true that I still prefer Superhero adventures month-in and month-out, but new ideas for stories and characters is what these comic companies should be all about! (Dammit!)

The former House of Ideas has apparently given up.

Date Posted: 07 August 2012 at 8:26pm

That book's cover was painted by Bob Larkin, based on a preliminary concept drawn by John Romita. Very nice.

Date Posted: 08 August 2012 at 9:33am

The only superhero novels I've ever enjoyed were the Elliot S. Maggin
Superman novels. I tried the Marvel novels in the late '70s, and they didn't do
much for me, but those painted covers were very nice.

Date Posted: 08 August 2012 at 4:48pm

This one is probably better than the one above, actually. More authentically Spider-Man, more actiony. I felt like it was a perfect fusion of the television live-action Spider-Man (who wasn't quite as super-powerful) with the Wolfman/Buscema/Pollard Spider-Man in the comic books of the time. I kind of prefer Spider-Man to scuttle a little bit against normal foes, like back in the Ditko Enforcers days.

Date Posted: 08 August 2012 at 5:32pm

QUOTE:
I kind of prefer Spider-Man to scuttle a little bit against normal foes, like back in the Ditko Enforcers days.

So do I.

Speaking as someone who likes the 70s TV series - and it lived up to my nostalgia when I saw it recently - I did, as a kid, tune in hoping to see The Lizard or Green Goblin. In the same sort of way that I'd tune into the Hulk series as a kid, wondering when the US Army or The Leader would tune in. Ah, the expectations of being a kid, eh?

However, objectively speaking, I did like some of the street level stories. Yes, Spider-Man was less powerful in the TV series, when fighting thugs in unarmed combat. However, I liked some episodes, including the two-parter "The Deadly Dust" where Robert Alda played a villain who, along with his henchmen, had stolen an atomic bomb. Lots of great fights and stunts in the episodes.

Date Posted: 08 August 2012 at 5:35pm

Lots of great fights and stunts in the episodes.

++++++++++

The Spider-stuntman hanging from the helicopter, in particular, is a memorable moment.

Date Posted: 08 August 2012 at 5:52pm

QUOTE:
The Spider-stuntman hanging from the helicopter, in particular, is a memorable moment.

Indeed. I wouldn't have done that stunt, no matter how much they paid me.

When some people criticize the stunts of the series, they often focus on the ones that really were bad (such as Parker climbing down that house in the pilot movie). However, there were some good ones, such as in the pilot where Spider-Man leaps onto the ceiling to fight those warriors, or where he scares off a lion in one episode. I also liked the fight he had with those two thugs in "The Deadly Dust" where he fought them on the set of a Western.

Date Posted: 08 August 2012 at 6:32pm

Say what you will about the flaws of the TV series, but those wall-crawling scenes still thrill me in a way that the CG-laden Raimi movies don't.

There's just something intrinsically exciting about a real stuntman hanging dozens--or hundreds--of feet above the ground on the side of a real building.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxKMC_wrPdA - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxKMC_wrPdA

I mean, he's climbing on the friggin' EMPIRE STATE BUILDING! A real guy!! In a Spider-Man suit!!!

As snazzy as today's effects are, on some fundamental level, we know they're fake, be they fully-CG, or a stuntman shot against a greenscreen.

The TV show had a real guy hanging on real buildings, and it works.

Date Posted: 08 August 2012 at 6:40pm

Greg, I completely agree with you. I've been thinking and saying it for years.

I'm not the biggest fan of CGI. As you say, on some fundamental level, we know they're fake. I know suspension of disbelief is important, but there's just something better about a man in a costume doing stunts than there is with a CGI Spider-Man.

I feel that way about a lot of things. I'd rather see a werewolf film featuring make-up and special effects (AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON) than a CGI werewolf. I like the 80s series AIRWOLF, about a super helicopter, which used real helicopters and model shots - I suspect a remake would feature CGI helicopters and jets, which wouldn't be the same.

I know the web-slinging shots weren't that impressive in the series, although I understood they were expensive and time-consuming to film. They don't exactly get me excited, but they're still decent shots using a real person, so I prefer those to CGI, too.

Date Posted: 08 August 2012 at 6:52pm

I know suspension of disbelief is important, but there's just something better about a man in a costume doing stunts than there is with a CGI Spider-Man.

++++++++++

I've put a lot of thought into this. The inherent problem with Spider-Man in live-action is this:

The comic character's exceptional agility, flexibility, and insect-like movements/poses makes it very hard to get him right.

Make him move too much like he does in the comics, and the audience will instinctively know it's CG, since a real person can't move like that.

On the other hand, use a stuntman almost exclusively, and he won't be able to move or pose quite the way that the "real" Spider-Man does!

The train battle in the second film comes pretty close for me to being a solid Spider-Man action sequence that doesn't look too cartoony (for the most part). Some of the moments are too cartoony, but there are a few moments (bits of 1:25-1:30, 2:05-2:35) that look pretty much spot-on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z00fTwhmYX0 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z00fTwhmYX0

Date Posted: 08 August 2012 at 6:58pm

What you say makes sense, Greg.

It's a little bit similar with the Hulk. I liked Lou Ferrigno's Hulk, the build was certainly there and he looked impressive, but on a 70s TV budget, you just couldn't have him leaping through the air and throwing tanks around. A CGI Hulk can do that, but for someone like me who isn't keen on CGI, well it doesn't entirely feel the same.

Posted By: Anthony Dean Kotorac
Date Posted: 08 August 2012 at 8:57pm

Ok as of this morning (my time in my part of the world) I have read EVERY since Spider-Man comic in order from the start up until the issues that are still on the comic book racks including major guest star issues (though not stories where Spider-Man might only appear in 2 panels of a six issue story).

What a journey and what a mixed bag of the good, the bad and the incredibly ugly!

Highlights:

All the Stan Lee issues (I now have my Spider-Man Omnibus signed by the man himself when he finally came to Australia this year) and pretty much all issues until about the mid 70s when things seemed to become I suppose less exciting to me.

The Ron Frenz issues

I've fallen in love with Sal Busema's artwork on that massive run he did which made some very ordinary stories at least pretty to look at!

The JR JR issues (later ones) feature some of the best art I've ever seen.

Really enjoyed our host's run, even more after the very ordinary Clone Saga and aftermath stories.

Brand New Day was quite good and a breath of fresh air at first espcially as the mid 2000 stories around Civil War were very dreary (and boring)

I won't really go into the lowlights but I'd honestly say I at least 'liked' or 'loved' about half the run and 'disliked' or hated the other half.

So I've done Fantastic Four and Spider-Man: I may attempt X-Men next though up to a point this time as opposed to the whole thing. Otherwise I'll be reaching retirement age by the time I'm done with it!

Date Posted: 08 August 2012 at 9:43pm

I suppose this thread is as good as any to mention I caught Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark on Broadway this afternoon, as a birthday present from my wife, to go along with our NYC day trip.

Surely the most bizarro Spider-Man interpretation yet... not great, not convinced it's even very good, but the stunts & aerial work were certainly a rush and well done.  But good grief, so many liberties were taken (the Green Iguoblin being one of them... and honestly, Kraven the Hunter was created in a lab???), and the tone and humor were all over the map, that it almost makes the Raimi films look overwhelming faithful by default!

The two leads (Peter & MJ) were competant & charming, but the songbook was mostly a snoozer and the dialogue was painfully mediocre... not an ounce of the 'ol Stan Lee wit, pep & pizzaz to help keep things lively.  Really too bad, 'cause the spectacle of it all was something to behold, and helps speak, in a way, to Greg Kirkman's comments above about real stuntmen doing the Spidey handiwork.

Posted By: Tim O Neill
Date Posted: 08 August 2012 at 10:48pm

Of the two novels Chad posted upthread, I preferred "Crime Campaign" - really a great read.  I'm thinking of revisiting it soon.

Posted By: Philip Obaza
Date Posted: 09 August 2012 at 1:49am

I'm almost embarrassed it's taken me this long to respond to this thread!

Spider-Man has, and always will be, my favorite comic book character. However astray he may be in the current comics, the real Peter Parker (as originally created) is without a doubt one of, if not the, finest superheroes ever. 

The first Spider-Man comic I remember was Marvel Tales #37, a reprint of Amazing Spider-Man #52. My Dad read it to my brother and I.

The first full storyarc I read was THE CHILD WITHIN by J.M. DeMatteis, which ran in Spectacular Spider-Man #178-183. It is still to this day, one of my personal favorites. Granted, it's pretty dark for a traditional Spider-Man tale, but I love the way the story psychologically examines Spider-Man, Harry Osborn, and Vermin. Plus, the artwork by Sal Buscema is absolutely stellar. In my humble opinion, no other artist has been able to quite capture Harry's madness as the Goblin in the same way that he did. An example below is from Spectacular Spider-Man #200:

Like Greg, I too grew up reading the comics in the early 90s (in the shadow of Peter and MJ's marriage) and stuck around for the entire Clone Saga ride as well. For what it's worth, I actually enjoyed the story in the very beginning - but then it kept going...and going...and going...and then Peter was a clone...and so on.

I still have fond memories of UNTOLD TALES OF SPIDER-MAN. I haven't read the issues in years and having recently re-read the early issues of Amazing, I'm not sure how I would respond to them now. But back then, with all the chaos of the Clone Saga, it felt nice to read a book that felt like the real, traditional Spider-Man.

ONE MORE DAY was the story that finally led me to giving up on reading the current Spider-Man comics (though I abhor SINS PAST and many of the stories leading up to it).

Despite a new start, the return of the classic costume and powers, and Peter working at the Bugle again, something just felt...off. I didn't connect to any of the new supporting characters and outright detested the current state of the old ones (Harry Osborn comes to mind).

Interestingly, it was after this (and after reading Greg's excellent analysis GREAT POWER, GREATER IRRESPONSIBILITY from a few years back) that led me to purchasing the Marvel Essential Volumes of Amazing Spider-Man, so I could finally read all of the classic stories once and for all (I had read many of them, but never in order from the very beginning onward). I read everything up through Amazing Spider-Man #200 rather quickly and am still slowly making my way through. Reading those old Lee/Ditko and Lee/Romita stories...I just get lost in how much fun they are. THIS is Spider-Man. The character that is sorely missing in today's comics.

Greg, those horrid developments you list in the opening post practically make my skin crawl. I certainly don't feel like I'm missing out on anything! Furthermore, anytime I'm at a comic store, I try to glance at the most recent issues of Amazing Spider-Man and I can barely look at them. All the artwork looks so dark and murky and the stories seem confusing and out-of-place. It all just looks so wrong to me.

However, despite the present state of the character, I still have my old comics and can enjoy the Spider-Man that I know anytime I want.

Hopefully, someday, a great writer will come along and make that possible with the current books.

Posted By: Terry Thielen
Date Posted: 09 August 2012 at 5:13am

I loved The Death of Vermin story arc. I loved the artwork. 

Date Posted: 09 August 2012 at 8:47am

One day I'm going to borrow Doom's time platform and use it to go back to the 90's and put a stop to the Clone Saga before it begins. At least some alternate reality will be spared the horrors of that storyline.

Date Posted: 09 August 2012 at 10:42am

I gave up right around the beginning of the Clone Saga. Marvel released a promo book with spoiler information, like Doc Ock dying, Aunt May dying... and Peter being the clone!

Well, said my 14 year old self - if the Spider-Man I've been reading since before I even knew how to read isn't real, and some guy who supposedly died years before I was even born is real, then I guess I'd better stop collecting comics. 

Looking back, I was both right and wrong to think that way. Right because it was a stupid gimmick. Wrong because looking at the current state of comics, I WISH more of them would go back to the way they were before 1980! Oh little how I knew how much WORSE things would get than having a clone be the real guy!

Date Posted: 09 August 2012 at 11:02am

I still can't decide which moment is the nadir of the Clone Saga--

Peter being "revealed" as the clone and smacking his pregnant wife...

...or MAXIMUM CLONAGE: OMEGA, the ultimate expression of how insane and marketing-driven the storyline had become, and a contender for the worst Spider-Man comic ever produced. Complete with holofoil cover!

Date Posted: 09 August 2012 at 11:13am

First Hank Pym hit Jan then Peter hit Mary Jane?  What was up at Marvel?

Date Posted: 09 August 2012 at 11:13am

By the way, has anyone here checked out DeFalco and Mackie's recent six-issue CLONE SAGA series, which condenses the storyline and presents an approximation of how it was originally intended to be told?

Date Posted: 09 August 2012 at 11:46am

If you're interested in seeing how the Clone Saga ran off the rails and you have a lot of spare reading time, you can check this out:

http://lifeofreillyarchives.blogspot.com/ - http://lifeofreillyarchives.blogspot.com/

Its been a couple of years since I read thru it, but it was rather informative.

Date Posted: 09 August 2012 at 11:52am

It's okay that he hit that pregnant woman, Greg - they weren't really married, they were just living together. Thanks Mephisto, for making Spider-Man NOT a wife-beater!

Date Posted: 09 August 2012 at 11:55am

Interestingly, it was after this (and after reading Greg's excellent analysis GREAT POWER, GREATER IRRESPONSIBILITY from a few years back) that led me to purchasing the Marvel Essential Volumes of Amazing Spider-Man, so I could finally read all of the classic stores once and for all (I had read many of them, but never in order from the very beginning onward).

++++++++++

Looking back on that, I'm a wee bit embarrassed by the whole thing. It was intended as a rebuttal to JMS' dredging up of Gwen and turning her into a lying, cheating whore in SINS PAST, the story that got me to quit modern comics.

In retrospect, it kinda comes off as being written by someone who's obsessed with Gwen and her status as "sacrificial virgin" in Spider-lore, when my point was actually that writers should just let her go and leave it alone!

Spewing out that essay was a very cathartic experience, though! I'm sure I could do a much much better and more balanced job, were I to write it today.

Date Posted: 09 August 2012 at 12:42pm

I still can't decide which moment is the nadir of the Clone Saga--

Peter being "revealed" as the clone and smacking his pregnant wife...

...or MAXIMUM CLONAGE: OMEGA, the ultimate expression of how insane and marketing-driven the storyline had become, and a contender for the worst Spider-Man comic ever produced. Complete with holofoil cover!
----------

I would have to say the former. The latter is a shining example of the industry at its ugliest, but nowhere near as damaging (and out-of-character).

For me, the Clone Saga really began to unravel after the "death" of Aunt May in Amazing Spider-Man #400. If TPTB at the time had just allowed the story to wrap there (with Ben Reilly leaving the city and the Jackal locked away in Ravencroft), I think we would have came away with a decent story, or at least one that did not tarnish the character so badly.

But then, that doesn't really make Spider-Man the hip, single, fun-loving guy he used to be, which was the whole point of the second Clone Saga in the first place!

Date Posted: 09 August 2012 at 1:11pm

It's okay that he hit that pregnant woman, Greg - they weren't really married, they were just living together. Thanks Mephisto, for making Spider-Man NOT a wife-beater!

++++++++++

I find it interesting that Mephisto was considered as the "out" for the Clone Saga (involving a time loop that allowed for Peter AND Ben to both be the genuine article), but that idea was nixed because he was deemed inappropriate as a Spider-villain.

Cut to 2008, and ONE MORE DAY...

Date Posted: 09 August 2012 at 1:21pm

These stories where Superheroes cross taboo-lines always make me think about kids pulling the clothes off Barbie dolls to see her "naked".

Wee! Look what I made Spider-Man do!

Date Posted: 09 August 2012 at 1:31pm

This little story comes to mind, although it was at least done as a (hopefully!) non-canon PSA giveaway:

Date Posted: 09 August 2012 at 2:58pm

How did JMS resist the temptation to work Skip into his arcs? He cannot have known this exists.

He must not be allowed to know! Kirkman, take down your post!

Date Posted: 09 August 2012 at 4:47pm

That's real?!?  How has Bendis not used Skip yet?

And why does Skip have gray hair?

Date Posted: 09 August 2012 at 5:29pm

That isn't really a Spider-Man comic is it?  Just a Peter Parker look-a-like right?

Date Posted: 09 August 2012 at 5:36pm

I use a version of my SUPERMAN IV analogy for the clone saga. It's
terrible but it's still a superhero comic book. There was a period in the
past ten years when Marvel stopped publishing superhero comic
books.

Date Posted: 09 August 2012 at 5:51pm

As a comic that educates kids about sexual abuse, it makes sense to have young Peter Parker as a victim.  Kids who have gone through abuse will see that you can move past it and do great things in your life, and a high-profile character experiencing something like that is going to resonate more with kids than some anonymous victim.  For its intended purpose and audience, I think it was the right way to go.

Date Posted: 09 August 2012 at 6:00pm

As a comic that educates kids about sexual abuse, it makes sense to have young Peter Parker as a victim.

••

Why? Why not a friend? If it was an anti-drug message, would it "make sense" for Peter to be a meth-head? If it was about tolerance of homosexuals, should Peter come out?

I did the cover for that particular book, and only later did I find out it was Peter who was the victim. I thought it was unnecessarily sensationalistic. Peter has enough crap in his life --- Uncle's death was his fault, remember? He doesn't need more, even in a good cause.

Date Posted: 09 August 2012 at 6:02pm

Things that make me crazy, Part 2937:

Look at this cover:

An acre of space an inch or so below Spider-Man's balloon on the left, but they paste it up to cover his FOOT in the corner symbol!!

Date Posted: 09 August 2012 at 6:04pm

…a contender for the worst Spider-Man comic ever produced…

••

Dunno what's worse. That that POS appeared on a professionally published Spider-Man comic ---- or that TERRY AUSTIN inked it!!!

Date Posted: 09 August 2012 at 7:15pm

Why? Why not a friend? If it was an anti-drug message, would it "make sense" for Peter to be a meth-head? If it was about tolerance of homosexuals, should Peter come out?

I did the cover for that particular book, and only later did I find out it was Peter who was the victim. I thought it was unnecessarily sensationalistic. Peter has enough crap in his life --- Uncle's death was his fault, remember? He doesn't need more, even in a good cause.

In the case of sexual abuse, victims (or potential victims) really need to know that what happened wasn't their fault, and I'm sure the writer of that story figured that a kid would be more likely to relate to Spider-Man than a supporting character.  It was a strange choice, but again, for the book's message and its intended purpose, I can see why that decision was made.

Date Posted: 09 August 2012 at 7:23pm

On the subject of worst Spider-Man comics of all time, the Gwen Stacy/Norman Osborn affair storyline was the first time I'd stopped reading Amazing Spider-Man since I'd started collecting twenty-something years earlier. 

Runner-up is probably Maximum Carnage, a 14-part crossover series that marked the first time that I realized that just because a story is published by Marvel, it doesn't mean that the story had to be told.  It could have been a fun four-parter running through a single title, but it took forever for anything to happen, and the payoff wasn't remotely proportional to the page count.

Date Posted: 09 August 2012 at 10:23pm

That isn't really a Spider-Man comic is it?  Just a Peter Parker look-a-like right?

+++++++++

Yes and no, in that order.

Spider-Man tells the abuse story of a young boy (seen on the above-posted page), which helps another young boy deal with his own abuse. Spider-Man realizes that telling the story has helped him deal with his own abuse (as he was indeed the boy in the story).

But, hey! Nice cover!

Date Posted: 09 August 2012 at 10:28pm

I use a version of my SUPERMAN IV analogy for the clone saga. It's
terrible but it's still a superhero comic book. There was a period in the
past ten years when Marvel stopped publishing superhero comic
books.

++++++++

Can't disagree with that.

The Clone Saga did, in fact, have some interesting stories and ideas. Compared to recent developments, it's akin to the Lee/Ditko run.

The bar does just get lower and lower, doesn't it? Did anyone ever think that the Spider-Man mythos could reach a point lower than the one which the Clone Saga took it to?

Date Posted: 09 August 2012 at 10:33pm

++++++++

Hey, at least it isn't canon, right? If it is, then SPIDEY SUPER STORIES must be, too! Complete with stuff like Thanos' helicopter with his name on it!

Date Posted: 09 August 2012 at 10:50pm

On the subject of worst Spider-Man comics of all time, the Gwen Stacy/Norman Osborn affair storyline was the first time I'd stopped reading Amazing Spider-Man since I'd started collecting twenty-something years earlier. 
++++++++++++++++

Don't forget (or, please DO) Spider-Man kissing Gwen and Osborn's pre-teen, unnaturally-aged, lookalike daughter.

The sheer awfulness and contempt for decency of those stories aside, the thing that proved to me beyond all shadow of a doubt that the inmates were running the asylum was this:

After the fan s***storm unleashed by SINS PAST, a popular fansite writer wrote the following articles...

http://www.spideykicksbutt.com/GreenwithEvil/DeFloweringGwen .html - http://www.spideykicksbutt.com/GreenwithEvil/DeFloweringGwen .html

http://www.spideykicksbutt.com/GreenwithEvil/CultofGwen.html - http://www.spideykicksbutt.com/GreenwithEvil/CultofGwen.html

...in which he posited that the...incident...took place when Gwen went to thank Osborn off-panel for saving her and her father's life at the end of ASM # 61.

Marvel took this idea, and inserted it into various post-2004 editions of the OFFICIAL HANDBOOK, as seen here, in this wiki which reuses the text from the published OHOTMU comics:

http://marvel.com/universe/Gwen_Stacy - http://marvel.com/universe/Gwen_Stacy

That's right. Marvel took a fan theory and made it canonical so as to justify that story.

My nutty essay went to great lengths to show that SINS PAST doesn't work purely in terms of anal-retentive continuity and chronology. But, the bottom line is that it doesn't work, period.

It is a perfect example of the "archaeology" effect seen in modern comics, where writers dig up old stories for the shock value of twisting them around, or telling us that everything we know is wrong. And Gwen Stacy has been trotted out again and again over the years, for good and ill. Did Marvel really think this was a good idea?

Well, I suppose it was, since it got me to quit! Thankfully, I didn't have to (directly) suffer through THE OTHER, CIVIL WAR, etc.

++++++++++++++++

Runner-up is probably Maximum Carnage, a 14-part crossover series that marked the first time that I realized that just because a story is published by Marvel, it doesn't mean that the story had to be told.  It could have been a fun four-parter running through a single title, but it took forever for anything to happen, and the payoff wasn't remotely proportional to the page count.
+++++++++++++

That story was certainly the first big clue that marketing was running the Spider-books, by that point.

That's how the Clone Saga went from a six-month story designed to install Ben Reilly as the new, single Spider-Man, to a three-year story that meandered endlessly.

Date Posted: 09 August 2012 at 11:04pm

QUOTE:
stuff like Thanos' helicopter with his name on it!

HA HA HA!

Date Posted: 10 August 2012 at 12:48am

I mentioned above my appreciation for Sal Buscema's work. However, one thing that always bothered me about his Spider-Man work was when his style changed.

I recall one ignorant "fan" complaining in the letters page of what I remember being Spectacular Spider-Man #216. He felt that Sal's style *had* to change simply because it hadn't changed since he first began drawing the book (which is both inaccurate and wrong).

A few issues later, Bill Sienkiewicz began doing the finishes (starting with Spectacular Spider-Man #220). Suddenly, the artwork became too dark and sketchy. I'm not sure why Sal needed Sienkiewicz (or if he did at all).

As a result, we went from this:

To this:

Definitely a drop-off there.

Posted By: Larry Morris
Date Posted: 10 August 2012 at 9:43am

QUOTE:
I find it interesting that Mephisto was considered as the "out" for the Clone Saga (involving a time loop that allowed for Peter AND Ben to both be the genuine article), but that idea was nixed because he was deemed inappropriate as a Spider-villain.

I never knew that.  Was that in LIFE OF REILLY?  It's been several years since I read it, but don't recall seeing it there.

I still maintain, though, that Peter did not do what Pym did.  He is so caught up in his anger at Ben that he doesn't even realize what he's doing.  The second he realizes it he's horrified. 

And this is not an endorsement of the scene.  No way it should have seen print, IMO.  I just don't see it as him striking his wife the way Hank Pym did.  But it's far closer to it than Peter Parker should ever go.

The Clone Saga can't work, or wasn't going to work, because you were asking readers to accept that for 20 years the guy they've been reading about wasn't the real Peter Parker.  That  was never going to fly.  Even though I think the most likeable character in that arc was Ben Reilly.  He routinely put Peter and MJ's needs before his own.  Even after it had been proven(at the time, anyway) that he was the real Peter.

Date Posted: 10 August 2012 at 12:14pm

It's probably best to just ignore those Gwen stories and pretend they never happened.  It wouldn't be too difficult in the Marvel Universe to explain the twins away with Skrulls, clones, fake diaries, implanted memories or some combination of all of that, but leaving that whole storyline dead and buried is the next best thing.  Keep it on a shelf next to The Other, Harry Osborn and the Chameleon building perfect robot duplicates of Peter Parker's parents, Peter smacking his pregnant not-wife Mary Jane, unmasking, making a deal with Mephisto, and any other stories that really shouldn't or couldn't have happened. 

Spider-Man's been around 50 years, usually appearing in two to four titles a month plus guest appearances, and that's a lot of stories for a character who's fictional timeline spans about a decade.  It's easy enough to say that some stories didn't really "count," given the impossibility of fitting them all into a working timeline where a clone could have replaced him for five years and he was in a not-really-married-to-Mary Jane relationship for about five years, too.

Date Posted: 10 August 2012 at 12:19pm

Remember when you didn't have to ignore large chunks of Spider-Man's history in order to enjoy the character?

Remember a time when even bad stories didn't need to be ignored, because they weren't a big deal, and didn't completely warp the characters and the mythos?

Date Posted: 10 August 2012 at 3:51pm

Every character who's been around since the 1960s has some stories that are absolute clunkers, or that shouldn't have been approved by editors (or submitted by writers), and I'm fine with never re-reading the worst stuff and current writers/editors never referencing it again. 

Almost every major Marvel character has at least one run that was so phenomenally awful and/or out of character that it should be just swept under the rug.  DC sidesteps this by nuking continuity and starting over every now and again, but I think selective memory is the best way for Marvel readers to handle the worst stuff.  If every Batman story from the past 75 years still had to count, I think we'd have to ignore large swaths of his history, too.

Date Posted: 10 August 2012 at 4:11pm

It's probably best to just ignore those Gwen stories and pretend they
never happened.  It wouldn't be too difficult in the Marvel Universe to
explain the twins away with Skrulls, clones, fake diaries, implanted
memories or some combination of all of that, but leaving that whole
storyline dead and buried is the next best thing.

-----
Marvel doesn't really seem interested in ignoring the story. JMS wanted
to retcon it away when he undid the marriage, and he wasn't allowed.
There was an opportunity to just no longer reference it post-Brand New
Day, but they've brought back Gabriel Stacy. Someone at Marvel
enjoys Norman Osborn cuckolding Peter Parker.

Date Posted: 10 August 2012 at 4:25pm

I hadn't read the American Son mini-series, and didn't realize they'd kept that character around.  I guess it's trying to make lemons into lemonade (or manure into fertilizer).  We're probably heading into some kind of re-start when Amazing Spider-Man #700 rolls around anyway, so that's another chance to sweep him under the rug.

My prediction for ASM #700's milestone event is the return of Gwen Stacy.  Her profile's been raised thanks to the new movie, only Uncle Ben seems to be completely off-limits, and since magic and other wackiness has already reared its head in Spidey's personal life, why not go the extra mile and do a major reset? 

Date Posted: 10 August 2012 at 4:36pm

My prediction for ASM #700's milestone event is the return of Gwen
Stacy.  Her profile's been raised thanks to the new movie, only Uncle
Ben seems to be completely off-limits, and since magic and other
wackiness has already reared its head in Spidey's personal life, why
not go the extra mile and do a major reset? 

-----

You can reference both the CLONE SAGA and SINS PAST by
revealing that Gwen is alive and that Norman Osborn slept with one of
Miles Warren's Gwen clones! *shudder*

Date Posted: 10 August 2012 at 4:50pm

Easy as pie!  And the Peter Parker that the Gwen clone cheated on was really "The Other."  Toss in Ezekiel and the Spider-Totem for good measure.

Date Posted: 10 August 2012 at 7:56pm

Definitely a drop-off there.

••

More of a lateral move. Solid inks, just not really spider-inks.

Date Posted: 10 August 2012 at 7:58pm

Hey, at least it isn't canon, right? If it is, then SPIDEY SUPER STORIES must be, too!

••

When Chris and I were doing MARVEL TEAM-UP we discussed "retelling" the Storm appearance that had recently been in SPIDEY, showing what "really happened".

Date Posted: 10 August 2012 at 7:59pm

But, hey! Nice cover!

••

Strange art instruction on that cover. I was told that Spider-Man was to be swinging over the city, carrying the kid, BUT THEIR BODIES MUST NOT BE TOUCHING!

Posted By: Terry Thielen
Date Posted: 10 August 2012 at 8:53pm

I remember when my parents gave me this comic and for a long time it was the only Spider-man comic I owned!

Date Posted: 10 August 2012 at 10:34pm

Someone at Marvel enjoys Norman Osborn cuckolding Peter Parker.

++++++++++

That particular phrasing creeps me out on levels I didn't know I had.

Did anyone, in their wildest dreams, ever image such a development back in the 60s or 70s?

Osborn cuckolding Parker.

Harry Osborn, maybe. But Norman? Guuuuhhh.

Speaking of Controversial Cuckolding Comics, there's also the bit in the Wolfman run which subtly indicates that Peter was banging Betty Brant-Leeds after she ran away from Ned in Europe. During their honeymoon.

But at least that was subtle, and still somewhat open to interpretation.

Unlike Osborn's "O-face".

Spider-Man having an affair with a married woman is not exactly an idea that thrills me, either. Peter--the Peter I know, at least--would certainly spend many tortured thought balloons grappling with that sort of thing.

Despite his prior history with Betty, I can't see someone raised with such strong morals, and who is as neurotic and worry-prone as Parker, entering into an affair like that. A sexual affair, in particular.

Posted By: Marc M. Woolman
Date Posted: 10 August 2012 at 11:40pm

A little off topic, but the best inker I ever saw for Sal Buscema's pencils was JB. (i.m.o.)

Date Posted: 11 August 2012 at 3:34pm

If you're interested in seeing how the Clone Saga ran off the rails and you have a lot of spare reading time, you can check this out:

http://lifeofreillyarchives.blogspot.com/ - http://lifeofreillyarchives.blogspot.com/

I'm up to Part 23 right now.  

Once I started reading it I couldn't stop.  It's quite a tale and has proven - so far - to be better reading than the entire Clone Saga itself!

Date Posted: 11 August 2012 at 5:51pm

Reading through the LIFE OF REILLY always proves a both fascinating and frustrating experience for me (I glance at the posts from time to time), with a touch of nostalgia thrown in for good measure, or bad, depending on how you look at it.

Fascinating due to all the behind-the-scenes planning/turmoil that went down through the entire thing, how a story meant to restore Spider-Man to his roots went horribly wrong and what it took to get things (sort of) back on track.

Frustrating because as a result of the story, it spun things with my favorite character completely out of control, to a point where he never really recovered.

The small bit of nostalgia comes from the fact that in spite of it all, this was still my heyday of reading comics as a youngster, and looking back through all those story arcs really takes me back in time...to a time where I really found myself enjoying new Spider-Man comics.

Of course back then, I had less sense of the history of the character. As a result, I had no idea that the stories I was reading, however entertaining they might be, were not Spider-Man stories. Not only that, but I had no idea how long-lasting the ramifications of those stories would be!

JB once spoke in an interview with Wizard (#47) about new comic creators and I quote, "They have no sense of history. Everything that's wrong with the world, and everything that's wrong with the industry, can be distilled down to having no sense of history."

And thanks to those creators having no sense of history, Spider-Man is even further from his roots than ever before.

I'm just glad I was able to wise up, do some research, and learn the truth. Learn about the real Spider-Man, whose adventures I can still get into by cracking open one of the classics.

Date Posted: 11 August 2012 at 6:27pm

I remember when I first saw the Life of Reilly blog and, while it did take me a few days to read thru it all, it was rather engrossing. It was like watching a car wreck in slow motion; of course, I say this with knowledge of everything that came afterwards.

I think its definitely the big turning point in Spider-Man's history. I was a big fan of Spidey, but bailed during the early days of the Clone Saga and I've never gone back. It saddens me, because of my love for the character, but I'm happy I missed the Norman Osborn banging Gwen Stacy claptrap.

How I miss Spider-Man...

Date Posted: 11 August 2012 at 10:03pm

How I miss Spider-Man...

If I substitute "Marvel" where you wrote "Spider-Man," I find that we're on the same page.

Date Posted: 11 August 2012 at 10:42pm

Yes, LIFE OF REILLY is fascinating reading. And rather nostalgic, much as I hate to admit it.

I'd like to reiterate--my prime reading years were during the Clone Saga. I 12 was when Peter was "revealed" as the clone, and was really upset about the whole mess even back then (Reilly taking over as Spider-Man, Osborn's return from the dead, etc.).

I will say, however, that Marvel did a good job...at first. I was way more interested in the adventures of Ben Reilly than I was in the "I am the Spider" stuff going on with Peter Parker at the beginning of the storyline, and pretty much only bought the Reilly books.

...which was the whole idea, wasn't it?

Date Posted: 12 August 2012 at 3:41am

QUOTE:
And thanks to those creators having no sense of history, Spider-Man is even further from his roots than ever before.

I think that was around the time of Civil War. Spider-Man had revealed his secret identity, was a school teacher, was living in Avengers Tower with May and MJ, was married, had organic webbing and wrist spikes etc.

I don't think Brand New Day is given enough credit for how much it restored to the series.

Date Posted: 12 August 2012 at 11:45am

I don't think Brand New Day is given enough credit for how much it restored to the series.

By completely betraying the nature of the hero the story featured.

Posted By: Brian Hague
Date Posted: 12 August 2012 at 12:12pm

Nearly every story written since the introduction of Venom on some level or another, I believe, has betrayed the nature of the hero in the Spider-Man titles. Brand New Day itself was utter and complete garbage, no question, but in some respects, it did herald a "return to form" for the basic premises of Spider-Man. For those who respect and enjoy those premises, Brand New Day was a breath of fresh air. As for it resulting in new material worth reading, well, I'm still waiting...

Date Posted: 12 August 2012 at 12:16pm

I'm getting tired of always agreeing with you, Brian!

Date Posted: 12 August 2012 at 1:02pm

For whatever it's worth, Greg, I never get tired of it! :-)

Date Posted: 12 August 2012 at 3:55pm

"I will say, however, that Marvel did a good job...at first. I was way more interested in the adventures of Ben Reilly than I was in the "I am the Spider" stuff going on with Peter Parker at the beginning of the storyline, and pretty much only bought the Reilly books.

...which was the whole idea, wasn't it?"

I agree. Ben Reilly was more Peter Parker than the real one. Of course, in those days, I wondered why couldn't they simply tell stories featuring Peter Parker acting as Peter Parker. Tom DeFalco, to name one of the group, was surely able to do it.

Posted By: Juan Jose Colin Arciniega
Date Posted: 12 August 2012 at 6:12pm

My first comic of Spider-Man in Mexico:

And the first American Edition that I found:

Posted By: Shawn Kane
Date Posted: 12 August 2012 at 8:16pm

I gave Brand New Day a chance but I dropped it entirely with the Lizard storyline from a few years ago (the final result just bothered me too much). Marvel under Joe Q has bragged that they don't need a complete universe reboot but why not do that instead of a ridiculous premise like One More Day? But I gave it a shot and I just didn't care for it. Slott's a good writer it's just a culmination of things that I didn't like built up to the point where I stopped buying it.

Posted By: Alejandro Cano
Date Posted: 09 September 2012 at 8:19pm

Sorry to be responding to this thread late, but I just discovered this online community and had to join. Thank you, Mr. Byrne.

I grew up in Mexico in the early eighties, a great era for Marvel (Juan Jose, I love your scan for #3, how cool!). Their comics started to be printed around 1980, and they would go on sale weekly. So say, on Monday Spider-Man would come out, and FF on Tuesday, Daredevil Wednesday, and so on (I remember it was a shock to find out comics came out monthly in the US!), so I was fortunate to start with the Lee /Ditko run and then grow up with all the eras of Spider-Man. So many great memories.

Someone said earlier that you choose your own canon. I had tried to remain current with the Spider-Man comics but was losing interest (didn't like the Spider Totem re-invention by JMS, didn't like Aunt May and Norman Osborn coming back), and then read one of my favorite stories, in PETER PARKER SPIDER-MAN #35 "Heroes Don't Cry" by Paul Jenkins, where a little boy says goodbye to his childhood imaginary friend, Spider-Man. I was so moved, that I chose that as my ending for my Spider-Man saga. A perfect ending, really.  I love you Spidey, farewell.

Posted By: John Cole
Date Posted: 09 September 2012 at 8:30pm

That Brand New Day crap that Joe Quesada and the stockholders forced down our throats ran me off.Until that momentous occasion I had every issue from Amazing Fantasy #15 to the present and the stories got worse and worse and worse so about two years go I went cold turkey and sold my entire collection off.I Still have a few trades and my DVD ROM up to the 2006 issues so I still have my youth to revisit.

-------------
jdcole

Date Posted: 09 September 2012 at 8:44pm

Some of this sadistic crap they come up with makes you wonder if the neighbor's dog is dictating the storylines.  And they do so much damage to the characters and the character's history.  Senseless.  Short term thinking, all in the name of shock value. 

Date Posted: 09 September 2012 at 9:07pm

Yes, actually reading this thread a few days ago made me check online for what has happened recently in the Spider-Man titles, and I was happy that I had missed it.

Gwen and Norman Osborn had an affair and children?

Peter reveals his secret identity as a puppet of Tony Stark, then leaves Stark Tower putting his family in danger, and then when Aunt May is shot Peter makes a deal with Mephisto to undo his marriage for the life of May and to restore his secret identity?

It's worse that bad fan fiction, these people have no sense of of the truth of these characters or responsibility for their stewardship. I had no opinion on Joe Quesada before, but reading up on these developments, and how they seem to have been dictated by him (at least Gwen/Norman and Mephisto), I feel so infuriated. What a betrayal.

Date Posted: 09 September 2012 at 9:18pm

Love these Mexico productions.

Date Posted: 09 September 2012 at 9:19pm

I want to read the stories these covers purport!

Date Posted: 09 September 2012 at 9:20pm

Date Posted: 09 September 2012 at 9:20pm

Date Posted: 09 September 2012 at 9:21pm

Date Posted: 09 September 2012 at 9:42pm

Chad, what magazines are those covers from? I don't recognize them, what country of origin? In Mexico it was "El ASOMBROSO Hombre Arana" God I love this forum.

Posted By: Rick Senger
Date Posted: 09 September 2012 at 11:33pm

Though there are small variations, that Mexican Spider-man figure above is to me clearly cribbed from the prone Batman figure from Detective 396:

Posted By: Steven Legge
Date Posted: 10 September 2012 at 4:21am

The image of Namor from that cover is from page 1 of Daredevil #7.

Date Posted: 10 September 2012 at 11:26am

The line work on Spider-Mans costume on the cover of the Spectacular Spider-Man no 158 seems a bit off.

Date Posted: 10 September 2012 at 11:28am

But it is a bit more like Steve Ditkos work on Spider-Man i suppose.

Date Posted: 10 September 2012 at 11:29am

See i answered myself.

Posted By: Johnny Lee Achziger
Date Posted: 10 September 2012 at 3:23pm

I remember back in the summer of 1962
when I was 12 years old, seeing that issue on the stands. I picked it out and read it, then put it back because I didn't like it.
Later, I started buying all the Marvel comics and had all the Spider-man's from #1 up, but I never did get that Amazing Fantasy. Doesn't really matter now, as I sold almost all my comics back in 1974 to buy a car. The car broke down on a trip.
Story of my life.

And I still don't like Spider-man.

Date Posted: 10 September 2012 at 3:39pm

You should have kept your comics Johnny.

Posted By: Mike Bunge
Date Posted: 10 September 2012 at 9:05pm

"I don't think Brand New Day is given enough credit for how much it restored to the series."

I bailed on Spider-Man when they had Gwen give Norman Osborn a sympathy boink, so I can't speak to the quality of the series.  When you look at the sales figures, though, it's clear that Marvel has thrown away all the gains made during the JMS years through BND and shipping the title 2+ times a month.

Mike

-------------
"It's propelled by the power of it's own shrinkage!"

Posted By: Brian Skelley
Date Posted: 11 September 2012 at 7:18pm

"

I'm up to Part 23 right now.

Once I started reading it I couldn't stop. It's quite a tale and has proven - so far - to be better reading than the entire Clone Saga itself!"

I hadn't ever seen this before, and am engrossed with it now. Thanks for the link

Date Posted: 14 September 2012 at 12:51pm

Date Posted: 14 September 2012 at 1:19pm

When did Doom acquire The Purple Man's powers?

-------------

Posted By: Larry Morris
Date Posted: 14 September 2012 at 1:27pm

The EMPEROR DOOM graphic novel, wasn't it?  Or used his powers to enslave the wotrld.

Date Posted: 14 September 2012 at 5:47pm

The green-and-purple combo also mean that could just be the Impossible Man giving Spidey and his pals a hard time!

Posted By: Glen Keith
Date Posted: 15 September 2012 at 7:18pm

"If you're interested in seeing how the Clone Saga ran off the rails and you have a lot of spare reading time, you can check this out:

http://lifeofreillyarchives.blogspot.com/ -

Date Posted: 26 September 2012 at 5:42pm

I'm sure that Doom image above is from Kirby's Fantastic Four. Talk about a composite cover! 

-------------
From down under

Date Posted: 26 September 2012 at 8:34pm

Definitely from the FF. Kirby/Sinnott art.

Date Posted: 26 September 2012 at 9:25pm

Peter Martin: that Doom panel is lovely.

I know I've seen this panel and read that particular FF book multiple times over the years but this is the first time I've noticed Doom's chin vent.

Among the many parts I love? That emotive shadow over Doom's left eye.

Posted By: Eric Smearman
Date Posted: 26 September 2012 at 10:56pm

Finished reading the LIFE OF REILLY. It was quite the slog but I
made it! Almost headache-inducing in spots but very interesting
reading.

Print Page | Close Window