Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 254 Next >>
Topic: What are you reading now? Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2022 at 11:19am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Wrangling with another classic that I bought long ago, tried long ago and gave up on long ago: Moby Dick (or, the Whale) by Melville.  What I've read so far seems nice and accessible, which is good because it's a thick, doorstop of a book.
Back to Top profile | search

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 January 2022 at 5:31pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I'm currently rereading SPACE TEAM: THE TIME TITAN OF TOMORROW.
Back to Top profile | search | www

James Best
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 January 2022 at 10:51pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

THE BASEBALL 100 by Joe Posnanski was the best of the non-fiction stuff that I read this month.

Shortlisted for the Casey Award as the Best Baseball Book of 2021 (winner TBA) this is a fun review of baseball history as the author lists his choices for the 100 all-time best players and provides great stories and insights to back them up.

At 830 pages this one took a bit longer than usual to finish, but I did enjoy it just as much as his previous two baseball books: THE MACHINE and THE SOUL OF BASEBALL, the latter of which earned him the 2007 Casey Award to put on his mantle.

The author is a journalist who has worked at The Charlotte Observer, The Cincinnati Post, The Augusta Chronicle, The Kansas City Star, Sports Illustrated, USA Today, NBC Sports, and the MLB Network.

He has won two Sports Emmy Awards and was twice voted as the nation's best sports columnist by the Associated Press. The AP has
nominated him 26 separate times for his sports reporting over the last two decades.

James Best
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 January 2022 at 11:04pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

The best of the novels that I have read so far in 2022 is certainly FROM A DARK HORIZON by Luke McCallin.

This is a prequel to McCallin's WWII trilogy featuring Wehrmacht intel officer Gregor Reinhardt. The first and third books in the trilogy were finalists for the British Dagger Award as the Best Historical Mystery Novels of the Year.

This new novel recounts Reinhardt’s time as a young lieutenant in the trenches as The Great War approaches its endgame. A series of murders behind the lines forces Gregor to investigate, only to expose the dark corners of wartime trauma medicine along with the social fractures that are undermining the German front lines and which threaten the very fabric of his country.

McCallin is a former humanitarian relief work and U.N. peacekeeper who served in both the Caucasus and the Balkans. His books have had limited release here in the U.S. but are certainly worth tracking down if you can find them at your local bookstores or libraries.

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 January 2022 at 11:41pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

James - I'm also reading THE BASEBALL100, and am totally enjoying it.  It's wonderfully written and has some fresh, unexpected looks at some of the all-time greats.

Edited by Robert Bradley on 22 January 2022 at 11:42pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Craig Earl
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 January 2022 at 5:19am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

MY DOG SKIP by Willie Morris

The touching memoir of a boy and his dog, growing up in rural Mississippi in the 1940's. It's a real love letter to simpler times. There are a few differences to the film which starred Frankie Muniz, Diane Lane and Kevin Bacon. 

If you are a dog lover, the book (like the movie) will leave you in a mess.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 January 2022 at 5:19am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Craig, i watched that film on a transatlantic flight after
two weeks away from my dogs, yes it left me a sobbing
wreck!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 February 2022 at 10:24am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Currently reading WYATT EARP SPEAKS! by Wyatt Earp and others. 
I’m usually skeptical when a piece is “written” by it’s subject, especially this time period and its enthusiastic ghost writers. But  this is no autobiography, the format is done with plenty of interviews and personal letters, plus a boatload of historical footnotes. 

James Best
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 February 2022 at 4:07pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Now reading LIGHTNING MEN by Thomas Mullen. This is the second book in his mystery series set in post-WWII Atlanta and features Lucius Boggs and Tommy Smith, two of the first wave of the city's newly hired black police officers. They are caught between a rock and hard place as the racism and Jim Crow attitudes of the deep South put them in danger both on the streets and within the Atlanta PD.

Dennis Rakestraw is a white rookie police officer and WWII veteran who, after fighting fascism overseas, cannot comprehend the racial divides in his city, within his own family, and in the ranks of the police force. The three officers' paths merge and they form a shaky alliance as they seek to solve crimes that cross over between the city's white and black communities. But they often uncover secrets that are better left buried and forgotten.

Craig Earl
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 May 2022 at 5:00pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Just picked up the latest in Frédéric Brrémaud and Federico Bertolucci's LOVE series. For those unfamiliar, these are wordless, beautifully rendered wildlife graphic novels (for want of a better description) which focus on a day in the life of various creatures.

So far, the series has showcased: TIGER, FOX, LION, DINOSAUR and now MASTIFF.

Highly recommended.

Eric Smearman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 May 2022 at 5:09pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Currently reading Quentin Tarantino's novelization of ONCE
UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD and Joe R Landsale's THE BOTTOMS.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 May 2022 at 5:21pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I'm about half way through The Institute by Stephen King.

Used to consume a lot of King's books in my mid to late teens, read the odd one in my twenties... And then ditched him in the early 2000s for the most part, until Dr Sleep. Anyway enjoyed Dr Sleep enough to go back for some more. Revival was okay, but The Institute I am finding seems to be stuck in something of a rut after a quick start. It's not bad as such, but I can't recommend it on what I've read so far.

<< Prev Page of 254 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |