Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 96 Next >>
Topic: ELSEWHEN Inking &c Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 June 2023 at 10:50pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

John Bryne you have shaped my art as Kirby inspired you. You are my Yoda. 

Back to Top profile | search | www

iam bennu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 June 2023 at 10:53pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

uno mas, por favor. This is the last I have done of book 1. I would like to finish 1 for a sense if completion. I would, of course love to get your opinion. Hard or soft.

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 June 2023 at 6:19pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

These pages are distractingly dark. 
Back to Top profile | search

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 June 2023 at 6:36pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Iam, the amount of effort you put into your work is clearly high and commendable.

But, as a fan of the original art, I think your re-drawing is distasteful and confusing. Why so much re-drawing?

There are only a few small spots where I see any harmony between your rendering and the original art.

I'm confused. Did you dislike the original art?

Edited by Mark Haslett on 07 June 2023 at 6:40pm

iam bennu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 June 2023 at 8:14pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I think it is the job of the inker or the renderer is to render and finish the lines in pencils of the artist. The art is not finished at the pencils the pencils are an indicator of the reality that the artist is trying to set forth. Especially John Byrne I think that John creates a reality and holds that reality in his mind, and he is best when he is transporting you through his perspective and the way he does people to that reality that he has in his mind. My job as a renderer is to see the reality that he is creating and take it to another level that is all that I tried to do. I do not think that all comics should look like this this is what I see and where my mind goes when I look at John Byrn's worth. I see the greater reality and I want to transport people to that reality. It is a storyboard of sorts, as you would do for a movie. Not a comic. I know the difference... I like the cast the characters and as the textures. It is not every one's cup of tea but as many LOVE it. They actually get to get a sense of their heroes in a story. 

My favorite panel in this story is following Storm, Wolverine, and Cyclops into the Jungle. I feel like I am there watching them. I think that is so cool. 

iam bennu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 June 2023 at 8:21pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I did some inking too for the group. 

I love to just ink his work too.

He is  a master.

iam bennu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 June 2023 at 8:37pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Also, John's work , like Kirby's work is so strong that you cannot cover it up. It is in the layout in how he poses his characters in space. That 45-degree angle he tilts them for drama or the how he makes them stand. I can see an inker make John's work almost unrecognizable, but I still get it. Just a second and I am like. Wait that's the Byrne. When you know him, you know him. 

You all have been spoiled by him inking himself all these years.lol. 

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 June 2023 at 8:43pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

IAM: My job as a renderer is to see the reality that he is creating and take it to another level that is all that I tried to do.

That may be what you tried to do, but that is not your "job".

Re-drawing panels until no remnant of John's drawing remains in the faces, hands, backgrounds, hair, drapery, etc. is certainly an unusual definition of "taking it to another level."

The inking work you linked to is far more my cup of tea and leaves the original artist's work far more recognizable.

iam bennu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 June 2023 at 8:56pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Then 'that' cup of tea is for you. My work is my own I make no excuses. Enjoy the inks. I understand your perspective. Someone said to me 'You define what I don't need defined, There is no place to put my imagination.'  I find this extremely reasonably.  It is like the sting I feel when the cast a character that does not make the character in my head. We all carry our own versions of then that are drawn from our own personality. Like when someone makes a video compellation of a book with sound and give voices to characters. When a character's voice is far from what you have in your head it is disturbing. We adjust or don't mess with it. We all have the same choice. 

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2023 at 12:24am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Iam: I would, of course love to get your opinion. Hard or soft.

Maybe I misunderstood this post from you.

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2023 at 12:36am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

*** John's work , like Kirby's work is so strong that you cannot cover it up ***

I can point to several examples in your work that refute your statement. Many panels have nothing left to indicate John Byrne had anything to do with the image. There is much more happening in your process than just inking or embellishing. Like Mark, I can appreciate the effort, but I think it is misplaced when the resulting image strays so far from the finished pencil image.

Marc Thompson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2023 at 12:46pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

<< Prev Page of 96 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |