Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 8 Next >>
Topic: When did they go wrong with Superman? Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 October 2021 at 7:57am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

It’s weird the mentality fans or writers have with him. They just don’t want anyone to be more powerful than him. Especially villains. If that’s the case, what’s the point, where’s the danger? One of the most memorable movie fight scenes for me is when Indy is getting the absolute crap beaten out of him in Raiders by the giant bloody Nazi and he just wins by the skin of his teeth. Superman doesn’t have to be the strongest or the fastest. What makes him formidable is the combination of powers he has and the smarts to use them efficiently.

Back to Top profile | search

Carlos Velasco
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 October 2021 at 8:31am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

On a side note, DC just started a "Superman 78" series a couple of months ago (as well as a "Batman 89" series).

I read all the issues online and they feel more authentic than the "normal" modern versions of both heroes, but I dislike the art: in Superman 78, it feels to "fuzzy" for this particular series; in Batman 89, they just can't get Michael Keaton's face right.

I think the approach is right and only needs more talent. I wish most modern comic books were like this.

P. S.: I just finished Superman 78 #2 and... whoa! Superman throws the "S" symbol just like he does in the first 2 movies. Totally unexpected for me and very relevant to this discussion. A peculiar superpower, I must say.

Edited by Carlos Velasco on 26 October 2021 at 8:46am

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 26 October 2021 at 9:18am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Sounds like fanboys unleashed.

Ron Grant
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 October 2021 at 12:39pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I find it strange that a comic that is adapted to a feature film is then adapted to comic.
Strange days indeed 

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 October 2021 at 12:53pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Let's just hope they never make a "Batman 97" series.

Rodrigo castellanos
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 October 2021 at 1:58pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Nostalgia is a weird thing.

Superman '78 was a little before my time but I obviously watched them all as a kid. Batman '89 did get me as a kid, already a fan of the '66 show re-runs and I logically went nuts: rented it a dozen times, had the action figures, the movie Batmobile, the comic adaptation, everything.

Yet I don't feel particularly nostalgic about it now. TV show yes, Animated Series big time but not much for the Burton Batman. I should be the target audience for that comic but the idea does nothing for me, really.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 October 2021 at 3:35pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Didn't help that it simply wasn't a good film, Rodrigo. I'm similar to you -- I had the T-shirt, saw it twice in the cinema, bought it on VHS, had both soundtracks. It had an exhilarating trailer (for the time), exceptional production design, a brilliant score... But the storytelling was just a bit lumpen.

I first met Reeve's Superman via bubble gum cards and then seeing Superman II in the cinema at the tender age of 6 (loved it) and later went doolally for the first film when it was shown on ITV maybe a year later.... But I don't want to see an ongoing comic based on it. Makes no sense at all. 

Tony Marin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 October 2021 at 10:28pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

The first Batman film had 2 good things going for. The Elfman score and the quasi 40’s aesthetic. Some scenes like the Axis Chemical plant when Batman is stalking the gangsters are great especially the long shots of him swirling his cape are bloody nice. But once you see the costume up close it doesn’t hold up. As for the 78 Superman comic, so far 2 issues that’s told a story that could have been less than half an issue long. They’re keeping the silly stuff they could have ignored like the detachable S shield. It doesn’t help that the artist looks like he tracing scenes from the movie concerning Chris especially. It looks rather flat and amateurish. Rather pathetic I was looking forward to this because it was the closest thing to the real deal that was new.

Mike Benson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 October 2021 at 8:09am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

That S throwing should have been left where it was and never spoken of again. 

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 27 October 2021 at 8:23am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I wonder why they chose not to duplicate the “S” as worn by Christopher Reeve.

Roberto Melendrez
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 October 2021 at 6:11pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Not to wander too far off topic but the S-Shield being thrown never bothered me.

As a kid, I figured that, in Superman II, Superman "runs away" from the battle against the Phantom Zone villains to protect the citizens of Metropolis (who would likely be killed in the melee) and prepare for what will, hopefully, be the final fight. He fixes the red sun/molecule chamber, creates jails or a portal back to the Phantom Zone in the mists in the crystals (which the villains fall into after they are rendered powerless), and creates weapons to use against them.

The S-Shield that's thrown at them is one of those weapons.  I thought it was pretty cool as a kid.

As for when DC went wrong with Superman... I think it was around the time of the Death of Superman story- after that way too many comics stories became more about marketing stunts aimed at a quick buck then about telling a good story.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 October 2021 at 9:32am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Roberto, your explanation sounds perfectly reasonable to me!

<< Prev Page of 8 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |