Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 23 Next >>
Topic: January 6 Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 January 2022 at 6:51am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Until the mob actually stormed the Capitol, I was unsure what Pence and the Republican Senators would do. If the mob had marched there but not burst in, if it had been a vociferous but non-violent protest, ...?

Anyway, Mitch McConnell has come out in support of Sen. Mike Rounds' blunt declaration that Trump lost. Interesting, but it remains to be seen if this is a significant turn against Trump.
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 12 January 2022 at 7:31am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I think there is still too much wishful thinking in seeing Trump losing ground with the Republican Party. As I've noted, it reminds me of 2016, when the pundits seized on every straw to predict he had no chance of election.

Until he crashes in disgrace or dies, there will be no lessening of Trump's power.

Brennan Voboril
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 January 2022 at 8:00am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I rather think there will be a turn against people like Rounds, and McConnell.  I live in a city in the midwest, and when we take a short drive to the country (less than 10 miles), we see many, many Trump signs, along with Let's Go Brandon ones, and even ones that have the Let's Go Brandon phrase in its true meaning.  They're all over.

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 January 2022 at 8:28am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I swear, this whole "Let's Go Brandon" nonsense is one of the most immature things that I've seen in my life. When I was recently in Florida, I saw it on t-shirts all over the place, and drunken morons just randomly yelling it out on the street. This is what it's come to.

If you really want to say "Fuck You, Biden" out loud, then have some balls and just say it. Don't cowardly resort to a coded phrase and act like you're being so edgy and clever about it.

Edited by Vinny Valenti on 12 January 2022 at 8:34am

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 12 January 2022 at 8:58am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I had to do a search to learn what “Let’s go Brandon” is all about. Turns out it’s a perfect encapsulation of just how far down the intellectual ladder our Nation has slipped.

To borrow one of Trumplestiltskin’s favorite words, SAD.

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 January 2022 at 9:04am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Pressed on his election lies, former twice impeached "Moron-In-Chief" cuts NPR interview short-

No surprise with how it ended... cowards flee when they are cornered.

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 January 2022 at 9:09am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

The notion that the riot and insurrection at the Capitol was a threat or not can be determined by the response. Opinions may vary, but at the time some very special forces were deployed at the Capitol. Their presence is a very good indication that the treat was serious as these forces are not there to broker peace when they are told to retake a building. This is from Newsweek:

“The presence of these extraordinary forces under the control of the Attorney General—and mostly operating under contingency plans that Congress and the U.S. Capitol Police were not privy to—added an additional layer of highly armed responders. The role that the military played in this highly classified operation is still unknown, though FBI sources tell Newsweek that military operators seconded to the FBI, and those on alert as part of the National Mission Force, were present in the metropolitan area. The lingering question is: What was it that the Justice Department saw that provoked it to see January 6 as an extraordinary event, something that the other agencies evidently missed.”

Here is the article, 

I wonder just how close things came to seeing many more people die on that day? It was a serious threat and to downplay that fact or distance anyone present as “not a part of the violence” seems self serving.

Brennan Voboril
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 January 2022 at 10:18am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

It's amusing how Let's Go Brandon came about: a NBC reporter, at a race in Alabama, heard chants of F_ck You Biden, but choose to report it as Let's Go Brandon (the driver being interviewed).  If I'm not mistaken, the president was trolled during a livestream, and was tricked into repeating the phrase itself.  

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 12 January 2022 at 10:29am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

... cowards flee when they are cornered.

•••

twitch twitch

By definition, one cannot flee if one is “cornered”, ie boxed in. There’s nowhere to go!

A better choice of words would be “outmatched”.

Dave Kopperman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 January 2022 at 11:09am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Even 'outmatched' would be understating it. No insult to Steve Inskeep, but Trump would be outmatched in an interview by Koko the signing gorilla.

Edited by Dave Kopperman on 12 January 2022 at 1:12pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Michael Casselman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 January 2022 at 11:47am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

If "Let's Go Brandon' had died out after a week or two it would have been remembered as the zeitgeist where politics met up with clueless, fill-dead-air-at-any-cost sportscasting. Once it became wink-wink-nudge-nudge RW code is where it went off the rails. Compared to a decade-plus of low-wit nicknames like 'Barry HUSSIEN! Obama', 'Drumpf', 'Obummer', and 'Orange Man' as slurs, 'LGB' is Performance Art.

John Wickett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 January 2022 at 12:42pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

"Are you a Republican voter, John?  Are you an independent?  If so, are you going to vote for Democratic candidates for Local, State, and Federal office in the next election if the Republican candidates are part of the very large group of their party who either did nothing or vocally offered support?"

I consider myself an independent because I don't vote along party lines, but I am registered as a Republican so that I am eligible to vote in primary elections.  I have been a Democrat in the past, and even served as a delegate for Obama to the state convention the first time he ran.

Historically, I have supported Republicans more often than Democrats in state and local elections, but Democrats more often than Republicans in national races.    

Nevada is currently a blue state; at least in the two population centers. Geographically, most of Nevada is rural and red, but I live in Vegas.  In my part of the state there are no Republican incumbents who "did nothing or vocally offered support" to the insurrection, so it most likely won't be a deciding factor for me in the next election.  If there were, it would be a consideration.

With respect to the presidency, I won't support Biden or Harris in the next election.  I also won't support Trump if he runs again.  So I am hoping for some strong challengers on both sides.

Eric Ladd- the availability of special forces units as security is one of the many reasons why the insurrection never presented a threat to the country, or the certification of the election results.  There are layers upon layers of security and protection at the capitol.

Also, I'm not downplaying the roles of anyone who stormed the capitol building.  This was a legitimate insurrection, and the participants must be dealt with accordingly.  I'm making two points; first, it was a poorly conceived, poorly executed insurrection, that had no chance to be successful, and was therefore not a serious threat to the Republic or the election.  And second, several thousand people were gathered that day to protest, and many of them did not enter the capitol or participate in the insurrection in any way.  Those who were peaceful protestors should not be lumped in with the insurrectionists.

<< Prev Page of 23 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |