Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 23 Next >>
Topic: GOP gonna GOP Locked Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2023 at 5:12pm | IP Logged | 1  

I guess I hope you're right... but again, where have Democrats ever held things up on this and thus threatening default? That seems to be a Republican invention.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/mar/09/republ icans-debt-tax-cuts-biden

Biden asked them awhile ago to "take the threat of default off the table". I don't see where Dems ever put it on the table.

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 25 May 2023 at 5:14pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Wickett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2023 at 5:33pm | IP Logged | 2  

"I don't see where Dems ever put it on the table."

Neither side is overtly threatening a default.  They're both saying "we all want to avoid this, but if it happens, its the other side's fault, because the other side wouldn't make a deal."

The fact is, Congress has to agree to raise the debt ceiling for the federal government to continue borrowing money.  Both parties understand this.  Both sides know unequivocally that no matter what legislation they pass, eventually they must reach a compromise regarding spending if they are going to fund anything.

Based on that, I don't think it can accurately be said that either side "did its job" until a compromise is reached.  

After that happens, if you think the deal they made was a bad one, its perfectly fair to criticize whichever side you think forced a particular cut or spending measure that you feel is bad for the country, and its fair to criticize your own party if you think they failed to represent you during the negotiations.  Escaping political consequences of the latter criticism is exactly why the theatricality is part of this messy process.

Edited by John Wickett on 25 May 2023 at 5:36pm
Back to Top profile | search

Dave Kopperman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2023 at 7:20pm | IP Logged | 3  

The Debt Ceiling Faceoff Dance is such old school shit it's almost comforting in its doomful anxiety. I'm honestly not sure who would take the hit politically if there isn't an agreement by June 1st - probably both, with Independents being more likely to place the blame on Biden.  All of my analysis is, of course, from the polling firm of Tom Ass & Associates.

John Wickett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2023 at 9:04pm | IP Logged | 4  

"The Debt Ceiling Faceoff Dance is such old school shit it's almost comforting in its doomful anxiety."

Its been a little bit weird watching it this year because everyone in the media is acting like this has never happened before.

Edited by John Wickett on 25 May 2023 at 9:04pm

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2023 at 11:57pm | IP Logged | 5  

I haven't heard anyone saying it hasn't been pulled before, just that it's been the Republicans that have made this their threat against their own nation. I think the attempt is to say... oh, this has happened before, this is something 'they' do those politicians generally... bull. It's something only one party has fostered as a threat. You want to be used as an economic hostage by some tiny percentage of interests and yawn about it... enjoy?

Perhaps if you give them more power, more seats, more high offices? = rewarding bad behavior. Pretend their a normally functioning institution... yeah, things'll get better that way. The best thing for that party would be to lose and lose big so something sane can be restored. This right now is not sane. It's an unforced error upon yourselves, and mostly it's people at the bottom who will experience the paying and the pain.

The new "normal" is fubar. Already credit ratings are adjusted simply based on the possibility being on the table, but can't say who put it there or something? It's the Republicans, and only them. Is it so difficult just to admit that much?

I hope were still so-called "laughing" at anybody worried about this game on June 2nd. Given the string of unprecedentedly effed up things that have happened over the last half dozen plus years my confidence in a Marjorie Taylor-Greene and pals piloting Kevin McCarthy is hardly rock solid. There are reports that some of these Liberty Caucus types think it could be good to default and stick it to the "libs" and other imagined enemies of theirs who make up the U.S.

Bonkers that this party isn't down to a handful of seats and more bonkers that Trump is their front-running leader after all the crap people have had to live through via him.

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 26 May 2023 at 12:01am

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 July 2023 at 6:30pm | IP Logged | 6  

Interesting... Mitch McConnell gave a press conference today and just abruptly stopped talking in the middle of his opening statement. He couldn't resume talking and walked away. LINK

Yet, Republicans want to complain about Joe Biden's age?

-C!

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 26 July 2023 at 6:41pm | IP Logged | 7  

Creepy!!!

Dave Kopperman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 July 2023 at 6:47pm | IP Logged | 8  

"Creepy" is the brand, now.

James Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 July 2023 at 7:12pm | IP Logged | 9  

Maybe an alien from the UFO Hearings invaded his mind......

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 July 2023 at 8:33pm | IP Logged | 10  

He just went to the Bahamas for a moment...

(for anyone who doesn't get the reference).

Jim Petersman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 July 2023 at 10:23pm | IP Logged | 11  

Creepy and disturbing that people clearly in decline, whether it be Mitch or Dianne Feinstein, are able to remain in positions of power over the entire country. Age (and term) limits need to happen asap.

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 July 2023 at 10:31pm | IP Logged | 12  

I am getting deeply concerned about the number of high powered people
who are clearly struggling in day to day life.
On both sides of the political spectrum.
From points of view that include ‘are they able to make decisions’ & also ‘if
not, who is making the decisions’.

You need younger politicians. Mind you, looking @ our shower, that’s not
necessarily a good thing either
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

<< Prev Page of 23 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |