Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: This should be much bigger news... Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 July 2022 at 7:14pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Exactly, Peter. 
If there is any doubt between a choice of entitled vs toxic, time to reexamine your priorities.   < id="protanopia"> < id="deuteranopia"> < id="tritanopia">

Obama's plea of not letting the perfect be the enemy of the good comes to mind here (though I'm sure he didn't originate it). 
Back to Top profile | search

Jabari Lamar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 July 2022 at 9:50pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I didn't know Carter said this, but years ago I found the constitution for the Confederate State of America online somewhere and read it out of curiosity and I noticed that it limited their President to one 6-year term, and that instantly sounded like a good idea to me.

I figured, yeah, ideally that means whomever is elected doesn't waste any time holding back waiting for a second term, and it seems like just long enough to accomplish what they want, without being in "too long". I still think it could be a good idea, but I have considered that we would need term limits for the House and Senate as well, or else it would be too easy for them to simply stall the President's agenda and "wait them out" until they're gone. So they need some kind of limits as well, but I don't know what would be ideal for them. 

Rodrigo castellanos
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 July 2022 at 2:07am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

You might as well say she won best pantsuit. Winning the popular vote is meaningless as long as the Electoral College is in place.

Of course, but your system makes it pretty difficult to speculate on the reasons for a loss when you actually won (meaning more people voted for you than the other guy).

I'm not a Hillary fan but what should've she done? Especially tour those states were she lost? Yeah sure, it's easy on hindsight but it's really hard to read in the moment.

Ultimately, it's obviously ridiculous to have a system where you can have a lot more individual votes than the other guy and still lose. And that not being unusual, but frequent.

It really isn't a democracy, no matter how much US politicians love using that word.

ron bailey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 July 2022 at 2:43am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I have noticed since Dubya's minority win Republicans love reminding people that we have a republic, not a democracy in order to normalize their never winning the popular vote. < id="protanopia"> < id="deuteranopia"> < id="tritanopia">

Rodrigo castellanos
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 July 2022 at 4:42am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I have noticed since Dubya's minority win Republicans love reminding people that we have a republic, not a democracy in order to normalize their never winning the popular vote.

Just reading that made me realize that that gives some kind of "reason" for Republicans to call them themselves that, and Democrats that.

I know that's not the historic reason but it makes some kind of twisted sense in the current situation.

Edited by Rodrigo castellanos on 06 July 2022 at 4:44am

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 July 2022 at 3:17am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

39% of women voted Trump in 2016 compared to 52% of men. 54% of women voted for Hilary. Not that dividing is generally a smart thing, but it's not women particuarly to blame. Black voters saved you from Romney firing Big Bird... and if any one sub-group voted less for Trump I don't know it... Black voters voted 91% for Hilary and 6% for Trump (no doubt including Herman Cain killed from attending a trump super-spreader rally).

https://www.pewresearch.org/politics/2018/08/09/an-examinati on-of-the-2016-electorate-based-on-validated-voters/

Hilary 'lost' by almost 3 million more votes than the 'winner', and I've always said that has got to be an all-time record gap for winner behind so-called loser. I do know Norm MacDonald was right though when he said it as people hated her so much they let someone they liked even less become president. :^(
Back to Top profile | search | www

ron bailey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 July 2022 at 3:31am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

54% of women voted for Hilary ...  but it's not women particuarly to blame.

Please read that again and tell me it makes sense to you. 

Do you know what percentage of African Americans voted for HALF black Obama when he was running against two opponents who would have made perfectly fine (but not great) presidents? He was not the perfect choice either, but he was theirs, and they recognized the historic significance of it. By the way, Hillary's "thinking it was her turn" may have been because her resume was the most impressive of any recent presidential candidate before or since. But her emails ...

I do know Norm MacDonald was right though when he said it as people hated her so much they let someone they liked even less become president. :^( < id="protanopia"> < id="deuteranopia"> < id="tritanopia">

Thank you, Norm. We miss your wisdom masquerading as absurdity SO much. 

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 July 2022 at 3:43am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

You wanted women should not have voted for Hilary? And then be blamed for Trump getting in based on that? On top of the blame for a woman candidate not knowing she couldn't make history which I've also read and heard a lot. This blame game if it's going to go on is for crazy scared generational Republican voting white people, male and female, mostly southern, and either 'talk' radio or religiously 'informed'.

ron bailey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 July 2022 at 3:57am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I'm saying it's criminal that not enough women voted for Hillary. 

By the way, it'w worth noting, given my earlier comparison, that Obama did not win the white vote in either election. It was the combination of other voting blocks that put him over.  
< id="protanopia"> < id="deuteranopia"> < id="tritanopia">

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 July 2022 at 4:12am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Yes, I remember realizing that minority votes had saved Big Bird from Mitt. That seemed too close a call at the time.

I remember Dole running vividly (Norm did a great Dole), and I'd never seen anyone turn into a parrot spouting crap fed to them by the party handlers so fast... until Romney anyway, he had to be against his own health care plan blueprint! I don't know if any Democrat has debased themselves in that way. Hate him or just somewhat dislike him, Reagan did often take positions that were not in the how-to-win party panderbook, even supported abortion rights as Governor of California as well as later backing getting military style assault weapons off of streets. He knew Russian fascists, be it a party or a person, were evil hope killers too, something the party needs to relearn apparently after a decade or so of drooling over Putin as 'strong'.

I remember people blaming Ralph Nader another election for having run... always got to have someone to blame I guess. Perot running before that was blamed, probably even Pat Paulson got blamed! Mostly I just hoped there could be another viable party, for some reason that continues to be seen as ridiculously impossible to a majority, but the longer a party is around the more strings are on it.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security

Robotmod

Posted: 07 July 2022 at 8:15am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Shocking.  SHOCKING I say that Jim Burdo would link (not once, because that would leave others hungry, but twice) to a radical right wing website!  I mean, I've always thought him the bastion of "fair and equal"!  But THE COLLEGE FIX?  It's, and I quote from the masthead, "right-minded". I was even able to add the italics. Whew! No bias there whatsoever!  Completely legit, above board and with no political bent whatsoever.  

Glad we got that straight.  

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security

Robotmod

Posted: 07 July 2022 at 9:41am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Waiting on the "it doesn't matter" reply from where Jim gets his news.  It matters, to him, that it's from WaPo, NYT or any other established journalistic enterprises.  Those are the enablers, the liberals, the enemies. So what if their articles are well researched with innumerable fact checkers and adherents to the "laws" of journalism?  They're deep state provocateurs and agents of chaos.  As long as he and others like him can find like-minded people who can shut that shit down?  They will.  

We're all in on it.  We're willing pawns.  Jim, as beleaguered as a White Christian man in America can be, feels like he's losing control.  And so he acts on it.  Not physically. But through memes and links and posts that try to chip away.  He'll auto-post against anything in a political thread and will use, as some kind of substance, a link to an article that sounds legit but, after a casual read, you know isn't. That doesn't really matter though, right?  It's the premise that carries the day, not the specifics.  And, in particular, the headline.  Perfect.  

As point of example, my right wing father-in-law only reads the headlines, never the article, and bases his opinion on that.  Only that. There's no digging necessary!  The headline says it all!  

Whoa. We've lost the plot if belief is based on clickbait headlines. Full stop.  Which 99.9% of "The College Fix" is based on, just tying it back.

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |