Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 6 Next >>
Topic: OHOTMU Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 November 2022 at 6:38pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

The stories planned for the Giant-Size issues when they were cancelled were repuposed in various ways -

The story for GIANT SIZE AVENGERS #4 was published in THE AVENGERS #145-146 (the Assassin).

The story for GIANT-SIZE FANTASTIC FOUR #5 & 6 were published in FANTASTIC FOUR #155-157 (Silver Surfer & Doctor Doom) & #164-165 (Marvel Boy).

The story for GIANT-SIZE INVADERS #2 was published in THE INVADERS #1-2 (Star-Gods & Brain-Drain).

The story for GIANT-SIZE X-MEN #2 was published in X-MEN #94-95 (Count Nefaria).

The story for GIANT-SIZE CHAMPIONS #1 published in THE CHAMPIONS #1-3 (Pluto, Hipplyta & Ares).

The story for GIANT-SIZE INHUMANS #1 was published in THE INHUMANS #1-2 (Blastaar, Katroids).

The story for GIANT-SIZE GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY #1 was published in MARVEL PRESENTS #4-5 (Badoon).

It appears that when GIANT-SIZE SUPER-VILLAIN TEAM-UP was cancelled after #2 the sotry for #3 eventually became SUPER-VILLAIN TEAM-UP #1-3

And i would guess that the story for GIANT-SIZE SPIDER-MAN #6 may have been the story published in MARVEL TEAM-UP #39-49 (the one with Spider-Man, the Human Torch and the Sons of the Tiger).

I'm sure there were probably other being planned that appeared elsewhere.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Peter Hicks
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 November 2022 at 8:32pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Don’t be too hard on the child, by 9 year old me thought Rich Buckler was the best artist at Marvel.  

Late in life, Buckler sadly said that as soon as he stopped imitating other artists, no one was interested in what he was drawing anymore.
Back to Top profile | search

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 November 2022 at 9:43pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Peter - I loved his work on Deathlok and Black Panther around the same time, I just didn't like his Kirby imitation.  Plus there were just to many swipes when he was drawing the FF.

And I did like his Neal Adams imitation in Avengers #101-104.

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 November 2022 at 10:09pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

"I can only think of 35 cent Spider-man and FF from that time.  Am I missing any others?"

I come up with Giant-Size Chillers using Dracula and Giant-Size Creatures with Tigra and Werewolf  by Night. Anymore?

Regarding Buckler, I enjoyed most of his covers from that era. They did the job intended for my age- got me to pick it off the rack.

Edited by Doug Centers on 27 November 2022 at 10:11pm

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 27 November 2022 at 10:26pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

By the time I settled into my version of the Thing, it was heavily influenced by Buckler/Sinnott.

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 November 2022 at 1:50am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Looks like the price change took place in April, 1974.

35 cents

GIANT-SIZE SUPERSTARS #1 (May, 1974)
GIANT-SIZE CHILLERS #1 (June, 1974) 
GIANT-SIZE SUPER-HEROES #1 (June, 1974)
GIANT-SIZE CREATURES #1 (July, 1974) on sale April 9, 1974

50 cents

GIANT-SIZE DEFENDERS #1 (July, 1974) on sale April 23, 1974
GIANT-SIZE SPIDER-MAN #1 (July, 1974) on sale April 23, 1974
GIANT-SIZE AVENGERS #1 (August, 1974)
GIANT-SIZE FANTASTIC FOUR #2 (August, 1974)
GIANT-SIZE MAN-THING #1 (August, 1974)

Eric White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 November 2022 at 1:55am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Buckler had his moments back then that I thought were terrific. From Giant-Size Fantastic Four #3.

Jim Burdo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 November 2022 at 10:02am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

@Robert Clea was more of a love interest than a partner.

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 29 November 2022 at 9:08pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Switching to the ESSENTIAL version of OHOTMU and continuing to torture myself. So many bad characters. So many redundant characters. And perhaps worst of all, so much backstory invented on the spot if none had been established in actual stories.

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHH!!!!!!!

One thing that bugs me on a personal level: the deeper we got into the series, the more characters were left off the lists Mark gave me for the covers. And rather than call me in to add figures when final rosters were worked out, Gruenie would add them himself. Usually small and awkwardly posed—he’d often draw walking and running figures leading with the same side arm and leg. And, of course, readers had no way of knowing I hadn’t drawn those figures.

There’s also plenty of instances where my panels were used for the supporting illustrations, but extended, with badly posed arms and legs attached to what I had drawn.

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 November 2022 at 10:22pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Robert Bradley wrote:
I'm sure there were probably other being planned that appeared elsewhere.

The one addition to you list I can think of is that the contents intended for Giant-Size Master of Kung-Fu #6 were used in MOKF #36-37.

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 November 2022 at 10:40pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

The story for GIANT SIZE AVENGERS #4 was published in THE AVENGERS #145-146 (the Assassin).

=====================================================

If I recall they had to cancel this GSA due to Steve Englehart continually missing his deadlines and the regualr Avengers book coming close to dangerously shipping very late. Gerry Conway took the decision as EiC to move the story in to Avengers to give Englehart time to catch up, but even after a break, Englehart was still falling behind and Conway had to fire him from the Avengers and be a "placeholder" until Jim Shooter was selected to take over.

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 November 2022 at 3:46am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Greg, that's sorta what happened but not exactly.  Conway didn't fire Englehart from Avengers, he simply took away the assignment to write Avengers Annual #6 (because Englehart had missed an agreed-upon final deadline to get the plot to George Perez).  Angered by having the Annual taken away, Englehart quit both Avengers and Marvel Comics.  He also intentionally turned in his final assignment (the dialogue for issue #150) late, so that only six pages could be completed in time and they were forced to use a reprint for the balance of that "milestone" issue.

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |