Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 6
Topic: OHOTMU Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 November 2022 at 8:44am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Thanks, Jason. It had been awhile since I'd read up on the story, so just remembered the broad brush strokes.
Back to Top profile | search

John Wickett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 December 2022 at 2:19am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

"I know what they were going for with having Buckler ape Kirby in FANTASTIC FOUR, but I didn't like it as much as Buckler doing Buckler."

Agreed.  These days Buckler is almost always remembered as a swipe artist (which he was), but he was also very capable in his own right.  I particularly loved the combination of Buckler and Ordway on early issues of All-Star Squadron, and many of his late 70's and early 80's covers at DC. 

John Wickett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 December 2022 at 2:37am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

"By the time I settled into my version of the Thing, it was heavily influenced by Buckler/Sinnott."

I'm often surprised when artists list their influences.  I would not have guessed Buckler as one of yours, but now that you mention it, I can see it in your version of the Thing.

I see a lot of similarities between your work and Jim Aparo, and have always imagined that he was an influence on you (or vice versa); or that you were both influenced in similar ways by Neal Adams.

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 December 2022 at 8:37am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I remember Rich Buckler being Rich Buckler on DEATHLOK, BLACK PANTHER, DEMON-HUNTER, and a couple of other Atlas or Red Circle things and he was one of the best.

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 01 December 2022 at 12:13pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I'm often surprised when artists list their influences. I would not have guessed Buckler as one of yours, but now that you mention it, I can see it in your version of the Thing.

•••

Artistically, I’m a sponge. I’ve picked up bits and pieces from all over the place. I’ve even said that artists whose work I DON’T like can be seen as “influences” as I try NOT to do what they do.

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 December 2022 at 12:29pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

A little tangent: JB, what artists have you tried to imitate but found that you couldn't?

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 01 December 2022 at 1:11pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Never could get a handle on Wally Wood's dramatic lighting, at least not without just flat out swiping. And if I'm being honest, I really didn't get any closer than hailing distance to Neal Adams!

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 01 December 2022 at 1:20pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I remember Rich Buckler being Rich Buckler on DEATHLOK, BLACK PANTHER, DEMON-HUNTER, and a couple of other Atlas or Red Circle things and he was one of the best.

••

MIND READING ALERT!

When I started in The Biz there was much doom and gloom about how comics would be "gone in five years". This affected how many people worked--what was the use of doing one's best if it was all in a state of decline?

I did not buy into that thinking--the opposite, in fact--but it seemed like Buckler did. There was a deep decline in the quality of his work, and his imitation-Kirby days seemed like the nadir.

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 01 December 2022 at 1:22pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Incidentally, that "gone in five years" was being noised around in the late Seventies! And when comics were still going in the Eighties many who had predicted their demise pointed to the rise of the DSM to say how comics as we had known them had ceased to exist.

Sure.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 6
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |