Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: OT- More Shootings Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 March 2023 at 10:59pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

There have already been two more mass shootings than days in the year so far. Let that stew in your brain for a minute.

NO ONE needs to own an automatic weapon, or one that can easily be converted to one. There should be a federal law making it an automatic death penalty if you commit a crime using one and injure or kill someone. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Wickett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 March 2023 at 11:12pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I think an automatic death penalty is going too far.  Not to mention, it would be meaningless to people like the TN school shooter, who go there planning to die.

But I agree there should be some type of sentencing enhancement for using a gun to commit a crime.  Many states already have this.
Back to Top profile | search

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 March 2023 at 11:26pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I didn’t miss your point John, I just think it is an irrelevant point when
compared to 45,000 deaths.

Your point has no merit

John Wickett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 March 2023 at 11:50pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

James, I think in the face of 45,000 deaths (in a single year) lawmakers in both parties should be lining up to pass sensible gun control laws, including banning assault rifles and high capacity magazines.  That is the moral thing to do.

But they aren't doing it.  Part of that moral failure is because of the money they collect from gun lobbyists.  And part of it is because their constituents won't support it.  I'm just laying out one of the reasons for the lack of constituent support, and explaining why it is unlikely to change.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.  

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 29 March 2023 at 12:37am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

It’s ludicrous. It’s like saying the solution to road deaths was to let people

drive as fast as they want.

•••

Remember when some people argued against seat belts in cars because it was “safer” to be “thrown clear” in the event of a crash?

Same mentality at work here.

Conrad Teves
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 March 2023 at 1:53am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

JB>>Remember when some people argued against seat belts in cars because it was “safer” to be “thrown clear” in the event of a crash?<<

Yes!  Sadly, I had a childhood friend (just a kid from the neighborhood) who didn't live to graduate high school because he was "thrown clear."

Perhaps one of the most useful things I got in driver's ed class was being shown the Accident Movie--the one where some of your classmates might faint (which will forever cement the lesson in your mind).

Maybe a similar thing for guns would be useful.

We live in a country (assuming you are in the US) that can't have reasonable gun control laws, much less sensible ones.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 March 2023 at 2:07am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Maybe they should show everyone the kinds of damage AR-15s and similar types do to human bodies! Or would that make them even more popular with some? :^(

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 March 2023 at 5:38am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

How is it that people think the public across the whole of America would not
support gun control laws when polls show strong support for such?

This couldn’t possibly be because the gun lobbies promote such a narrative
could it?

Trevor Thompson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 March 2023 at 12:54pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I think that depends on the mindset of the shooter. If the shooter intends to get away, then they are likely to pick a soft target where they don't think anyone will be shooting back.  Conversely, if the shooter is on suicide mission, then the presence of other guns would not be a deterrent.  I wouldn't advocate for arming teachers or school administrators, but if security guards are armed and trained that might deter someone. 

Yes, because the security guard(s) might not turn out to be a nutter as well...

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 March 2023 at 5:01pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

It's the doors, trans people, something, anything, other than the (seven or three or bazillion) guns is what I see being trotted out again. Also the 'it's too soon', don't 'politicize' tragedy distractions.

On the other side they have shown the assault rifle lapel pins being worn by congressmen and Christmas photos of one lawmakers' family posing with high-powered looking firearms in front of the festive tree.

Clown car. Going nowhere fast I guess. Sad.

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 29 March 2023 at 5:03pm

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 29 March 2023 at 7:33pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

How is it that people think the public across the whole of America would not support gun control laws when polls show strong support for such?

This couldn’t possibly be because the gun lobbies promote such a narrative could it?

••

Mostly, the people we elect to congress very quickly turn into cowards when their whole reason for existing is STAYING there.

John Wickett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 March 2023 at 9:49pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I think you could pass gun control laws that are forward looking, but that doesn't address the guns that are already out there.  The insurmountable obstacle is getting people who already own guns to give them up.

I don't know of any polls that show strong support among gun owners for giving up their guns.  390 million guns = many millions of voters that politicians are reluctant to alienate.

"Yes, because the security guard(s) might not turn out to be a nutter as well"

Sure that's possible, but what is the likelihood?  

Unfortunately, there is no fool proof way to prevent 100% of shootings.  I'm working on a case right now in juvenile court, and among the evidence in the state's discovery is a group of photos that show 5-6 local teenaged gang members posing with guns (including assault rifles) and flashing gang signs.  What would you guess are the chances that any of those young men are the registered owners of those firearms?  The fact is, if you went out tomorrow and convinced all law abiding citizens to turn over their legally owned guns, there would still be thousands (if not millions) of guns on the streets of America, and all of them would be in the hands of the people most likely to use them to commit a violent crime.  And that is if you outlawed all guns, which has never been on the table.  Even most backers of gun control have only proposed getting rid of assault rifles, suppressors, high capacity magazines, certain ammunition, etc.  Common hand guns, which are responsible for most gun related suicides and homicides would be left untouched. Likewise, hunting rifles would be left untouched.

Granted, the mass casualty events that make headlines often involve the types of weapons some politicians are willing to ban.  But if you ban those, someone who wants to shoot up a school will just revert to a type of weapon that IS available, and possibly modify it so it performs like an assault rifle.

I'm not arguing against gun control.  Lets ban the types of weapons Biden is proposing to ban.  But lets also recognize that doesn't solve the problem.  It only reduces the number of casualties that occur in a subset of shootings that get a lot of attention, but which make up a small percentage of gun deaths in the U.S.

If you want to maximize the level of protection available to kids at school, you have to go beyond banning assault rifles, and implement security measures on campuses.  We have to look at how school buildings are secured, reduce the number of access points, and increase protections at those access points.  In my opinion that includes considering an armed security guard, or school police officer.  

There are a limited set of circumstances wherein the presence of a firearm can increase safety.

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |