Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 21 Next >>
Topic: Jim Shooter’s views on homosexuality in comics Locked Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 September 2007 at 11:54am | IP Logged | 1  

I don't think there is an over representation of gay heroes. There are no more than a handful and how many superheroes are there? Hundreds? Thousands?

Edit: JB made my point.

Edited by David Ferguson on 10 September 2007 at 11:56am
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 10 September 2007 at 11:56am | IP Logged | 2  

I don't think there is an over representation of gay heroes. There are no more than a handful and how many superheroes are there? Hundreds? Thousands?

••

Too many! But that's a whole 'nother thread!

Jesus Garcia
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 September 2007 at 11:59am | IP Logged | 3  

Problem with homesexuals as represented in many mediums is that it's all about their sex lives ... as if homosexuality is a form of religious orthodoxy ... as if gay and lesbians spend 90% of their time thinking about sex.

I don't believe sex is a factor at all in my enjoyment of a comic book.

With all respect to JB and his work, seeing a side view of She-Hulk's tits pressed against Wyatt's chest made me envy Wyatt but did nothing to "enhance" the tale for me.

It's a given that superheroes are going to bang ... like it's a given they're going to eat, drink, sleep, urinate, and defecate. Some of them might even drink liquor and smoke weed. This is not interesting except to those who fantasize about that aspect of superheroes' lives.

What I'm interested in when I read about superheroes is what makes them superheroic. Showing them indulging in the same proclivities as your run-of-the-mill human being is dull as hell ... unless there is some heroic aspect to it. For example, Peter Parker having to take a job delivering pizzas to buy Aunt May medecine is heroic because he could simply use his powers to steal the meds.

Edited by Jesus Garcia on 10 September 2007 at 12:09pm

Fred J Chamberlain
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 September 2007 at 12:01pm | IP Logged | 4  

Bruce's shock during the event in the communal shower would be more easily understood and explainable than him being to angry. Being filled with shock and disbelief makes sense.... being too angry doesn't make any. (It has been a few years since I reread that story, but I remember the anger hitting him after he stumbled out into the ally.)
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jesus Garcia
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 September 2007 at 12:04pm | IP Logged | 5  

I thought that it was an accelerated heartbeat -- anything but staying calm -- that would trigger the change. The voice-over for the Hulk TV series spoke of becoming "angry or outraged".

If I thought I was about to get raped I think I'd break a sweat and my heart would be fighting to fly out of my chest.

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 September 2007 at 12:34pm | IP Logged | 6  

I never read the Hulk issue in question.  So i don't know how the scenario played out but as far as his reaction. Perhaps the character was too stunned by what was happening to react to anything at the time.

My reason for saying this is that I was reminded of an episode of E.R. when Mark Greene was attack in the rest room. It happened so suddenly for him and unexpectedly that he didn't have time to do anything. In later episodes he felt anger and shame for not defending himself.

Anyway thats an explaination i think as to why he might not become the Hulk at the time of the rape.

Fred J Chamberlain
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 September 2007 at 12:38pm | IP Logged | 7  

Anthony, brilliant theory. ;)

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 September 2007 at 12:40pm | IP Logged | 8  

Thank you Fred ;)

Kurt Anderson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 September 2007 at 1:04pm | IP Logged | 9  

Rape is horrifying (gay or straight), but I would think that facing the Abomination and monsters of that ilk would be a whole 'nother level of horror.  Whether you're confronted with someone wanting to force themselves onto you sexually, or a ten foot monster who wants to rip your arm off and forcibly feed it to you, your body is going to kick up the adrenaline in the same manner.

And on whether or not we need gay characters.  We don't need them as long as we don't have straight characters.  If Superman's relationship with Lois was never approached in the comics (which is reasonable.. just a different type of story), then his sexuality doesn't come into play.  But since we've seen that he's attracted to Lois, Bruce has girlfriends, Ollie loves Dinah...  the sexuality of the characters has come into play.  So for us to assume that all superheroes have straight and generic attractions to the opposite sex is a bit unrealistic.

Flavio Sapha
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 September 2007 at 1:10pm | IP Logged | 10  

When Alpha Flight first appeared, none of them had any background.
++++

In the Northstar "recruitment story" there is mention to his "radical politics past"...or something.  What was he, a Quebec separationist?  Has this tale ever been told?

Fred J Chamberlain
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 September 2007 at 1:12pm | IP Logged | 11  

The adenaline angle works if his change is based purely on physiological changes in his body. If the anger, fear, etc is a conscious response that triggers the change, than shock/dibelief would leave him not fully accepting that the situation was actually occuring.

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 10 September 2007 at 1:13pm | IP Logged | 12  

I did the best I could to hint that Jean-Paul might
have bombed a few mailboxes in his day.

<< Prev Page of 21 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |