Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 95 Next >>
Topic: ELSEWHEN Inking &c Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 February 2023 at 7:52pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

went through all 79 pages. Some really outstanding work
here, and it's great to see the progress everyone has
made. One of these days, I'll have to try inking an
Elsewhen page too. Keep on inking, everyone!
Back to Top profile | search

Paul Wills
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 February 2023 at 3:49pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Even as a young kid I felt no one drew Thor better than John Byrne. I still feel that way today.

I love the kinetic energy of this page - hugely enjoyable to ink!

* Always forget to note issue - issue 24 p 12

** Also, I always look at my work after the fact and find things I need to fix (on my part). In this case, Thor's chin (and a few other minor tweaks). I try not to deviate from what the penciler put down and I saw that I did in my previous version.

Edited by Paul Wills on 09 March 2023 at 4:44pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Wesley Wong
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 March 2023 at 6:08pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

That's some really nice work, Paul. You did a great job
with Thor's face on panel 3. Thanks for posting!

Paul Wills
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 March 2023 at 4:33pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Thanks Wesley! I'm trying to study how previous inkers approached their work and what makes their style unique. Right now I'm appreciating and studying Joe Sinnott - who I admit in the past I didn't pay much attention to. But now I see why he is so iconic. Also, a really nice and humble guy with great stories based on his youtube interviews.

Paul Wills
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 March 2023 at 6:51pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

The 'itch' that started it all...

Edited by Paul Wills on 05 March 2023 at 6:59pm

Wesley Wong
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 March 2023 at 5:02am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Beautiful inks, Paul! Those are really nice linework on
Wolverine and Sauron.Thanks for posting!

Steven Queen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 March 2023 at 3:48pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Paul, your line technique here is really excellent.  You've come a long way.  The brush work in the wings is my favorite bit. 

But to go out on a limb a bit, what's stopping me from absolutely LOVING this print is a lack of focus.  There's so much going on that's given equal weight.  Does that make sense?

In B&W, I think it's really important to have contrasting regions of dark and light.  The background needs to fade a bit, and the periphery needs to have "less" so that it leads your eye to a focal point.

Finally, I don't get a strong read on lighting.  Where is the dominate light source and are the shadows consistent?  Do the line-weights/vanishing-edges support the light? Cooking up dramatic lighting is a piece of the art puzzle, I think.  What's the rule-of-thumb?  1/3 lit, 1/3 half-tone, 1/3 shadow?

Somehow you need to do all that and yet remain true to Mr. Byrne's original.  I still needs to look like his work, because that's what we all love.  Maybe that's an impossible task, I don't know.

But seriously...who am I to say what great inking should be.  I'm just playing at know-it-all-art-critic and can't execute anything close to what I'm preaching.  You are miles beyond my level of skill.

Edited by Steven Queen on 14 March 2023 at 3:55pm

Tony Moretti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 March 2023 at 7:27pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Hey Paul, (not that I've had my pens out in way more than a little while) I've got a couple observations. The triangle shape on the interior of Sauron's beak appears to flatten out a little bit. The interior of the right wing appears to be on the same plane as the beak. Where the point of the bottom beak meets the top of the deltoid kinda makes it look like it's own shape.

The stubble on the right arm is spot on, but the stubble on the left arm looks a little overdone and flattens it a little bit. Losing the roundness of the muscle mass.

Please take as constructive creative feedback, much respect. Keep it up.

Paul Wills
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 March 2023 at 8:14pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Thanks, Wesley!
Thanks, Steven, Tony! I definitely appreciate and welcome helpful feedback! It really helps me to improve which is my ultimate goal.
I can see what you've both pointed out - sometimes I see it beforehand as in the case of Tony's point with the beak and the arm but I tell myself I'm overthinking it and just leave it. Some I don't see as in Steven's case with the depth which I'm consciously trying to work on. Also, sometimes I tend to over-render which is something I have to pull back on.
I definitely agree, Steven, with regard to keeping JB's work looking like his work. I do focus on trying to retain that. I was never fond of inkers in the past that changed the look of his work.
I'm going to do a bit of tweaking with that one - mainly with Photoshop. This was the first page of the series where I think wasn't as polished as the following pages and this one led to a bit more interpretation of where the lines should go (much easier in all his other pages).
Hopefully, I'll always be a work in progress!

Paul Wills
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 March 2023 at 11:19pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Ok - I know it's not much of a change but I made a few minor adjustments based the feedback

Paul Wills
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 March 2023 at 3:07pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

One of the (many) things I have learned while inking JB's work is how fluid the lines are and how they lead your eye to the parts that are intended to be the focus of the panel. Just subtle things that I kind of didn't notice before - this is one of the joys of discovery while inking. I'm not sure if this is a conscious decision on his part or if that just comes naturally.

Tony Moretti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 March 2023 at 10:03pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Hey Paul, the new stubble looks great! Arm has some nice roundness to it. It's probably considered a crutch, but I always find myself using a little white outlining to add some separation and help bring things forward. Works alright in b/w, but I'm sure would cause the colorist some issues. Not sure how I'd deal with it otherwise. I'll leave that to those more skilled than me, which is pretty much anyone🤣

<< Prev Page of 95 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |