John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 10 February 2019 at 9:26pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I actively avoided it!
Back to Top profile | search

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 February 2019 at 9:43pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Life is strange. Years ago, I found myself wondering how John Byrne, uber-STAR TREK fan, could actually go out of his way to avoid a STAR TREK movie, especially at a time when there had been never even been a STAR TREK movie. 

Now, in the wake of what’s happened to STAR TREK and various other major properties, I understand. I totally understand. Who wants their beloved memories tainted by garbage follow-ups with the brand-name stamped on them? I fight every single day to expunge from my mind the images of Jake Skywalker milking a space-whale’s teats and Force-FaceTiming himself to death.

Mind you, I don’t think TMP is anywhere near the dumpster-fire that later iterations are, but I understand JB’s thinking. Definitely ahead of his time, there! He’ll go far!

Edited by Greg Kirkman on 10 February 2019 at 9:44pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Gundars Berzins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 February 2019 at 10:00am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

One smooth topic and art page. This is awesome.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Darren Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 February 2019 at 11:02am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Love seeing the grid. Brilliant panel and thanks for sharing John. Always a joy seeing Byrne drawn space craft and aliens.

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 11 February 2019 at 11:59am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Returning, even in a small way, to the convention circuit, brought one surprise: there are still people out there who think that the perspective grid is “cheating”. That my drafting machine somehow lays out the grid FOR me, and maybe even does the drawing!!

These folk belong to a subset of fandom populated by people who seem to think the books appear magically, springing fully grown from Zeus’ head. They don’t want the magic diminished by peeks behind the curtain. At each point when I have brought something new to my work, they have been there to cry “cheating!” Computer lettering? Cheating! Computer models? Cheating! And the perspective grid, which predates the earliest days of my career.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 February 2019 at 1:05pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Ignore those morons, JB. Calling an artist a "cheater" for using a perspective grid is like calling a doctor a "cheater" for using a scalpel, or a mechanic a "cheater" for using a wrench. The drafting machine, computer models, even Photoshop itself, are all just tools. And, as with the other professions I named, those tools aren't going to do you any good if you don't already have the ability and skills to use them.

It is a petty, jealous person who would call you or any other artist a cheater for using tools. They only do so because they want to bring the artist down, since the can't elevate themselves to the artist's level. And if it isn't jealousy,  then they really are just morons.

Edited by Matt Hawes on 11 February 2019 at 1:07pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 February 2019 at 2:07pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

CHEATING? There's a job to be done, and it's idiotic to not use every possible tool available to make it better.

As Matt H. noted - it's not a competition.* You already have the job; now do your best. A doctor has nurses and an operating room. A carpenter has tools and blueprints. An actor has a director, costume, props, and script and score. That's not cheating... that's doing it right.

One COULD do it without these - but why do so? To impress the yokels?

*Yes, I know that every minute of every job is a "competition." But that applies to everyone involved... all of whom are trying to do it best. By, say, using the items available to make it better. Sheesh.

Darren Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 February 2019 at 4:20pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

"Cheating"

When a Cheater attempts to deceive someone, they attempt to make a fool out that person. When you can see the deceit then the cheater is the fool! If there is no cheating and someone thinks there is...well, we all know where the dunce's hat is going!.

A perspective grid is to a finished comic book page what an architects' drawing is to a building. 

It's just good sense to build your page grounded in something solid.

I love seeing the workings out.

Roberto Melendrez
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 February 2019 at 4:27pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

A commercial artist using tools of his trade to get his work done is cheating?  What would those same folks say about Norman Rockwell (a commercial artist of no small talent) using photo reference?  Crazy!

Edited by Roberto Melendrez on 11 February 2019 at 4:27pm

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 February 2019 at 4:32pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

It's way too easy for people who have no clue about the process to throw out criticism. All that really matters is the finished product, and, if they don't understand the creative process, then maybe just should just judge the final product itself, rather than questioning methodology.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |