Byrne Robotics | Fan Fic << Prev Page of 53 Next >>
Topic: X-MEN.ELSEWHEN.21--Comments Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 April 2021 at 10:22am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

So far, these guys seem to be bullies.

••

My job here is done!

(Actually, the job begun by Stan and Jack in Magneto's earliest appearances.)

==================================================

When it comes to villians, I like them with backbone. Able to face their opponents without consistently tossing their lackeys into the fire. 

It's probably the reason that I never liked Magneto during the original X-Men team run.

Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 08 April 2021 at 10:35am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I understand what you're saying, but I don't think Stan and Jack wanted any of us to "like" Magneto. He was, in so many ways, the antithesis of Doctor Doom, and deliberately so.

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 April 2021 at 10:55am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I like the contrast drawn between Magneto and Doom in just these past couple of pages. This Magneto is not exactly courageous, though he didn't throw any of his minions under the bus when Thor came to call (so far as we can tell). 
Not sure I'd call him a coward, exactly, but I imagine his "victories" over the Avengers and FF relied on sneak attacks and blitzkrieg tactics, all of which befits a supervillain.

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 April 2021 at 10:59am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

(It's kind of ridiculous to expect a villain to announce an attack in advance but I think that's something Doom would do that Magneto never would.)

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 08 April 2021 at 11:26am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I like the contrast drawn between Magneto and Doom in just these past couple of pages. This Magneto is not exactly courageous, though he didn't throw any of his minions under the bus when Thor came to call (so far as we can tell).

••

Question of timing, perhaps. If his team had not arrived just when they did, would he have waited for them?

Mark McKay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 April 2021 at 11:43am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

My reverse speculation, thinking they would defeat Thor: could Magneto have crushed Thor's helmet around his skull? Is Thor invulnerable?

I also thought maybe Wanda could hex him to no longer be worthy of Mjolnir?

Anyway, I love how it played out, with them fleeing in terror.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Daniel Gillotte
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 April 2021 at 12:36pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I am NOT sorry to see a SCARED Magneto.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Steven Queen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 April 2021 at 12:39pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I like the notion that the team was far more powerful with Mastermind in their ranks.

Chris Durnell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 April 2021 at 1:37pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I love the reveal that Mastermind had been essential to the success of Magneto's attacks, and that without him the M-Team lost what may have been their main tactical advantage.  Thor's fury and desire to avenge his comrades being their reason to flee to our Earth is also great.  It is also a nice surprise since it's very different from the plot of the original What If... story explained in the past by JB.

The combination makes for both a dangerous alt-Magneto and Brotherhood, while not making the heroes of that world into dupes.  It works.

I also like, as far as I can tell, that while we know the alt-FF is dead (and considering even that team isn't always the original 4), that we don't know who the dead Avengers are.  I see a lot of people speculating it is core members like Cap, Iron Man, etc.  But for all we know the 9 dead Avengers are Hellcat, Jocasta, Moondragon, and other second tier characters.  And considering that Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch, and Beast were never Avengers in that world, there could be any number of other characters who had joined instead - lesser tier heroes like Torpedo or Stingray, one of the Inhumans, who knows?

Most likely, it's a combination of classic core (which includes non-founding but popular iconic members like Hawkeye, Vision, Wonder Man, etc.), second tier, and new Avengers.  Close enough to enrage Thor, but by no means implying its all the best ones.  If published in contemporary times around 1980-1982, the Avengers had a roster of far more than 9 members.  None of the main or iconic Avengers might be among the dead, and all the solo titles still being published!

It's good if we don't know them, as we'll have a better story in our heads if we don't know.  For those who imagine a tragic but dramatic last stand by Captain America defending some teammates who escaped, it happened.  For those that would feel it'd be too painful and would rather have less popular members die in the attack, that happened.  For those who think its dramatically best if the founding members except Thor perished, then it's so.  If the Vision or Jocasta were destroyed, they might be rebuilt.  Maybe Iron Man or Black Panther is forming a new team now of the survivors and inactive members.  Lots of possibilities.

It's only in our heads, so it's just what each of us wants it to be.

Richard Palmgren
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 April 2021 at 2:06pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

It's only in our heads, so it's just what each of us wants it to be.
-------------------------------------------------

And on top of that, it's a whole rabbit-hole of speculation as to the ripple effect of not having Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch as part of "Cap's Kooky Quartet" after the original Avengers left.  There are a ton of stories that rely on Pietro and Wanda and their actions as Avengers.

Richard Stevens
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 April 2021 at 3:02pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

This Magneto is *nothing* like Doom. He feels more like your classic "dastardly" villain who escapes via some chute or who seems to die in an explosion at the end, only to have survived. He's dangerous, but he's not all-powerful or all-knowing, and he's super fun because of this.

The dude can build an asteroid base with his powers, but he's terrified of an enraged Thor. That sure tells me a lot about how powerful Thor is!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Jean Sterling Ajouissance
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 April 2021 at 4:44pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

The Claremont/Byrne Magneto wasn't the obnoxious cad that Lee/Kirby created, but I suspect that that was predominantly Claremont's doing.
His Magneto was a bit more refined, a bit less unhinged.

The original portrayal of Magneto showed him to be verbally abusive, manipulative, insecure and cowardly...   so perhaps we should now consider this here "Elsewhen- Magneto(es)" to be known henceforth as "Actual- Magneto."   

Side note  -----

Both Thor AND Gladiator in the mix?  Can you imagine that cage fight?
Throw a little Norrin Radd in there to boot?

Just a little fantasy 3-way mix-'em-up that would be very difficult to bet on.

Geek musings 101

<< Prev Page of 53 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |