Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Fan Fic MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Fan Fic << Prev Page of 48 Next >>
Topic: X-MEN.ELSEWHEN 26--Comments Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 01 October 2021 at 7:22am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

'I seriously doubt we'll see bone claws'.

•••

That stupid idea was something I said “NO” to back when Chris and I were working on UNCANNY. Unfortunately, like several other things Chris wanted to do, my veto lasted only until I left.

Back to Top profile | search

Jeffrey Rice
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 October 2021 at 7:26am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

That image of Doom is impressive as heck! Add Doom's mask to things many artist's just can't seem to capture. I do not care how powerful Alt-Magneto is, Doom is Doom!

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 01 October 2021 at 7:33am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

The “trick” to drawing Doom’s mask is to embrace the simple fact that it’s not REAL. It is not an actual mechanical contrivance. It is capable of a full range of emotional expression, but no mental energy should be expended on worrying about HOW.

Verisimilitude, baby!

John Northey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 October 2021 at 8:41am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Isn't the old rule 'magic'?  Doom is a tech and magic genius so why wouldn't his armor have magic mixed in to allow it to act how he wants?  With his ego that is easy to imagine - using any means to help intimidate people.  A simple slight of hand I mentally use to write off weird things about his armor (such as the 1001 uses he has for it rather than wondering where he keeps all of that without the suit being bigger than a house) and to keep myself from being foolish and over thinking it.  Of course, that doesn't work for Iron Man (no magic) but that is a whole other story (which lands under 'it is comics, just accept it and move on').
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 01 October 2021 at 8:46am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

And there’s my point missed.

Scott Barnett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 October 2021 at 9:05am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

To JB's point, I always chalked up the expressions on Doom's mask the same way we see different expressions on Spider-man's mask, or the way JB himself uses the placement of (or lack of) pupils on Wolverine or Storm for effect.

Just enjoy the effect.

Dean Munday
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 October 2021 at 9:21am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Just enjoy the effect.

Absolutely. One of the most expressive faces in comics is ROG-2000 - a robot. I've never concerned myself with, "how does he do that?"

ron bailey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 October 2021 at 9:22am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I've always had a love/huh? relationship with Dr. Doom. He always seems to be too many things and not enough of them at the same time: He's a tech genius AND a king AND a formidable sorcerer? Pick a lane. :)

But seriously with all he can do what are his motivations? Whatever comes to his attention and tickles his massive out-of-control ego? Saving his dead mother from the netherworld? I love that his achilles heel is that he always wound up getting in his own way of what he was trying to achieve. 
< id="protanopia"> < id="deuteranopia"> < id="tritanopia">

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 01 October 2021 at 9:55am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

What tickles Doom’s fancy is, of course, what tickles the fancy of whoever happens to be writing the character—which puts him at the mercy of a whole gamut of emotions, some of them quite stunted.

ron bailey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 October 2021 at 10:05am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I was going to ask: "At the mercy of his own gamut of stunted emotions or the wirter's?" before I remembered one of your favorite answers: "Yes." < id="protanopia"> < id="deuteranopia"> < id="tritanopia">

Having said that, one of the many "oh that's so cool" moments reading Doom's stories back in the day was the origin of his mask and how it reveals so much about his character. I first read it in a Byrne story but I confess I don't remember if that is where it originated. If so, kudos. 

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 01 October 2021 at 10:33am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Stan and Jack gave us the hidden monks creating Doom’s mask, and putting it on him while it was still scalding hot.

This allowed me, decades later, to have my Kate, and Edith too. Knowing Kirby had intended Doom to have only a small scar, but Stan wanted Victor’s face hideously scarred, I did both. Small scar at first, greater damage after putting on the mask.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 October 2021 at 10:52am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

… to have my Kate, and Edith too…

You rascal, you.

<< Prev Page of 48 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |