Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 13 Next >>
Topic: RIP Neal Adams Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 03 May 2022 at 11:15am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Neal told me one thing about his approach to Batman: unless the script specified daylight, he would set every scene at night.
Back to Top profile | search

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 May 2022 at 12:08pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Today -- with countless films influenced by the O'Neill/Adams approach -- that doesn't sound groundbreaking. But within the context of the direct aftermath of Adam West Batman, it was revolutionary. Going back to the noirish roots was so important (and it would take more than a decade for a screen Batman to catch up, and hence for any civilian to discover any of this).

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 May 2022 at 2:03pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Neal told me one thing about his approach to Batman: unless the script specified daylight, he would set every scene at night.

========================================================

That is a great approach.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 May 2022 at 5:46pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

He made over a half page in our local newspaper today (a long text with a large 1979 photo).

That treasury must be in contention with Superman Vs. Muhammad Ali as the greatest of the format; Neal Adams at that size feels right too!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Mark Waldman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 May 2022 at 4:19pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

What an artist, what a career. My favorite work of his probably were all the wonderful DC covers he drew during the late 60s. He made you want to buy the book and find out how the story played out - novel concept. 

Of course his work on Batman, Deadman, X-Men, etc. all legendary. His Superman vs Muhammad Ali masterwork, his beautifully painted Tarzan book covers, and the random things he'd do such as a Conan here or there, etc., all fantastic.

As a kid (growing up in the 70s and 80s), he seemed a part of the amazing past I was so connected to even back then. His work with Continuity on didn't really mean much to me but I followed him on Instagram merely to see the sketches and other work he would post.

He revolutionized the business and influenced so many. Indeed the world is much emptier without his colossal shadow being cast. As skilled an artist as any the industry ever knew, and a champion for creators rights. What more can you say? 

I wanted to share one of my favorite Neal memories - the great 1972 French TV segment with he, Joe Kubert and Moebius taking turns drawing, but I suddenly can't find it. If you've seen it, you'll know why it means so much. RIP, Neal.

Giorgos Goumas
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 May 2022 at 11:25pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Mark here is the link to the videos from Neals website http://nealadams.com/joe-kubert-moebius-and-myself-on-french -tv-1972/
Back to Top profile | search | www

Glenn Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 May 2022 at 6:25am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

JB, I can't tell if it's the original or a print but on Neal's desk here appears to be the Batman/Talia illustration discussed upthread. 

Edited by Glenn Brown on 05 May 2022 at 6:26am
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 05 May 2022 at 7:05am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Looks like a print.

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 05 May 2022 at 8:07am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

A week. That was so fast.

A reminder of how quickly we can be here and gone.

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 May 2022 at 10:11am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Sometimes I get the feeling that LIFE isn't messing around.

Standing next to the tracks when a freight train goes racing by is one sensation that reminds me of the TRUE nature of being alive-- every moment is as real as a bullet and flying by with impossible speed.

It's hard to believe that very many people conduct themselves as if this is really true.

ron bailey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 May 2022 at 10:45am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

... here is the link to the videos from Neals website http://nealadams.com/joe-kubert-moebius-and-myself-on-french -tv-1972/
< id="protanopia"> < id="deuteranopia"> < id="tritanopia">

Thank you, Giorgos!

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 May 2022 at 7:47pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I had a fairly long post all typed up 2 weeks ago, but somehow I hit the wrong keystrokes and lost everything I wrote with "undo" not being able to recover it. I wasn't up for starting over from scratch, so I let it be.

So now it's weeks later, and I still see posts of his artwork on the Adams Facebook groups that I'm on and still feel a sense of great loss. I've said that I felt completlely comfortable calling him the greatest living comic book artist - but now that he's gone, I realize that I can't (and shouldn't) think of who else I would place in that category now. There are just too many great artists from the next generation (most of which inspired by Neal, including JB of course) that I can't fairly call a clear winner now. But with Neal, there was no contest. He still had so much talent up until the very end, and given how well he looked at 80, it just felt like he'd always be around. So with all that, this still stings quite a bit.

<< Prev Page of 13 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |