Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 May 2022 at 11:21pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Ugly: LINK
Back to Top profile | search

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 May 2022 at 3:13pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Quickly becoming a cultural element woven into the fabric of modern America. It’s unfortunate that these criminals don’t enjoy the same level of irony that this killer received:

Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 May 2022 at 4:13pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

But remember, the Republicans are pro life!

In Finland, they had TWO mass shootings between 2007 and 2008, and promptly made stricter gun laws. 

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 May 2022 at 4:41pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Sadly.... this is normal life in America.

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 May 2022 at 2:01am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Charles Valderrama wrote:
Sadly.... this is normal life in America.

As is shown by the fact that we have another mass shooting today.  We seem headed for a world where this type of thing is an everyday occurrence.

Edited by Jason Czeskleba on 16 May 2022 at 2:02am

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 16 May 2022 at 11:59am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Jason, according to the FBI definition, we already have more mass shootings than there are days in the year.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 May 2022 at 5:59pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

But it's all good news for arms manufacturers and the true crime specialty shows/channels/media industry... more 'fascinating' characters to 'profile' and delve into?

I've heard Serbian television was rife with that kind of true crime and 'Cops' stuff on it's tv back in the '80s before it's strongman started inflicting the will of his people upon neighbors. I even wonder if so many nature programs about sharks and other predators is a release or a stoker? So from a more distant past of a diet heavy in magical good guy guns (John Wayne to Dirty Harry) to new gritty delvings into the dark side... mere societal reflection or a feedback loop?

I think of guns as a tool of offensive design, made for a purpose, like Galactus... amoral. But... does one have a genuine need or use? That's the question, and if fantasy or information input distorts this. On the other extreme you have registries and licensing fees applied equally to someone in most rural Yukon territory with a rifle dealt with the same as the worst neighborhood of Toronto and gear not intended for animal targets. If it didn't play such a starring role in so much fiction and non-fiction could we not be emotional about 'guns' and make sane regulations that address the criminal and lunatic fringe successfully? Some people just talk regularly about who they want shot, and I've certainly been one now and then if I admit it, if only for Mr. Putin lately. The great problem solver? It should be something we think of as a needed tool much more rarely, neither 'cool' or 'power' nor even first choice for defense.

It would be an extremely long road back for the U.S. in any case; ignoring Reagan's ask post assassination attempt for his party members to keep away and take military style assault weapons from civilian streets (and instead a pretend thing evil liberals are thinking of all the time) was the beginning of the hopelessness that kicked into high gear on the lapsing of the Brady Bill.

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 16 May 2022 at 6:12pm

Michael Murphy
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 May 2022 at 1:12am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Don't despair, all those families will be offered thoughts and prayers and everything will all right again.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 May 2022 at 1:52am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

They're saying videos on youtube about 'replacement theory' helped radicalize the Buffalo shooter/killer. Now I could be wrong here, but wasn't the intent of bringing enslaved Africans to America to, er, take the place of more, er, costly (and white) manual labor? Dumb-asses... they are only a couple hundred or more years late with this grand conspiracy theory! (slap head emoji insert here)

Also, they can have all the muzzle-loading muskets they want as far as I'm concerned, state sanctioned and well regulated or not, it's those M-15 light tactical carbine semi-autos with huge ammo clips that worry me!!!

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 17 May 2022 at 1:53am

Mark Waldman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 May 2022 at 2:48pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

My FB post on this and the abortion issue. All more or less ties together...

This isn't to upset anyone since I wouldn't want to do that and I doubt I'll get any likes or comments as anything but a photo of my breakfast seldom gets that, and last, I'm a stone's throw from deleting all this madness as the world is too obsessed with it and it's destructive, but...

I will say that being a man I feel I have a right to say this...

Men do all the mass shootings

Men impregnate women

Women are not committing mass shootings, and even the women who for whatever reason promote a person's "right to carry", they are not the ones shooting up schools, churches, stores, concerts, movie theaters, offices, street corners, or anywhere else people gather.
Women do not impregnate men.

Having taken a few philosophy classes back in school, one should then be able to deduce...

Men are the problem

You can certainly go into levels of blame but it would be fairly intelligent to think...

Men are dangerous, especially when armed 

Men are dangerous, with their privates, and then after the fact deciding what women should do with their bodies.

I'm of the opinion that all of this is beyond fixing because people have gotten dumber, less flexible, more focused on a group think mentality and well, it makes salacious reading and viewing, so why even attempt to fix it?

All that said, none of it is really a hard problem. A few simple ideas that would never be considered...

Gun ownership should at minimum be taken as seriously as operating an automobile. Since guns and cigarettes are two products, if used as designed, kill - then maybe it would be wise to consider who can own guns, how these people are routinely licensed, policed, etc.

On matters concerning men making decisions over women's bodies - simple, they should not. Women are capable and can decide what's best for themselves and their bodies. If men want more say in the matter, be more responsible, wrap it, get a vasectomy, or just use common sense before doing something stupid. 

It's interesting how these two issues, that will not be fixed but are easily fixable, are uniquely American. It's interesting we feel we are superior, that other countries are primitive or less, yet we take advantage of our wealth and stature on the world stage to be terrible role models.

It never occurs to people that the world is ashamed of us? This should be seen as a terrible thing, yet predictably we do not have embarrassment from it.

America has done many great things in its history and helped many countries survive, thrive and want to emulate us. But we are in a downward trend and unless we look in the mirror, like an addict who is facing serious questions, we will just continue to plummet.

Again, not expecting changes, don't think we're capable of that type of introspection, but again, very easy to fix if we wanted to.
Message of all this - don't be a dick. Life is too short. Start with yourself. Are you part of the problem? If so, don't be a dick. It's the smallest contribution you can make toward improving the situation in America.

ron bailey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 May 2022 at 3:00pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Not that this should be the point, but the African American population has been consistently level for a couple of generations now. If there is a beef about replacement from them (which is absurd on the face of it), it's because your people have been dropping off in keeping up.  < id="protanopia"> < id="deuteranopia"> < id="tritanopia">
So if you're going to be monstrous douchebag, at least get your math right. 

Dave Kopperman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 May 2022 at 3:47pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Mark wrote:
Men are the problem

I don't disagree with the logic, but it should be noted that there's also the political angle to consider - Trump won about 55% of the white female vote in 2020, up a couple of points from the 2016 election.  And I've encountered plenty of women with beliefs I find abhorrent.  The difference is between actions and beliefs, but if we're trying to reduce the idea of racism to just mean people who are so motivated as to act on their beliefs, we lose a lot of the story of the ongoing problem.

Page of 15 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |