Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 2
Topic: Simple things you can do in comics, but not in other media Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 August 2022 at 5:46pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

QUOTE:
I doubt this J Michael Straczynski Doctor Doom joke would work at all in any other medium:  Link

I'm probably not appreciating the joke as much as I should since I never took to the change from uppercase to lowercase letters in comics, and that dialogue doesn't "feel" like Doctor Doom to me.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Mario Ribeiro
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 August 2022 at 8:07pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I thought that the Straczynski Doctor Doom joke was having Doom cry after 9/11.
Back to Top profile | search

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 August 2022 at 11:21pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Hard to do stuff like this elsewhere...  

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 August 2022 at 1:27pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

QUOTE:
Hard to do stuff like this elsewhere...

:-O

Daniel Gillotte
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 August 2022 at 4:52pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

It may seem counter intuitive but I'll say ACTION is better in comics. I mean some things looks WAY cool in these modern comics movies and I think the MCU Avengers movies in particular did a VERY good job translating comics action into movies including some amazing sound work that really made the scenes sing (Thor, Cap and Iron Man facing off for one, with the sounds that Mjolnir makes hitting Cap's shield or Iron Man, etc.). They also did an amazing job showing the speed and strength of the Hulk.
But overall I think comics aren't "burdened" by having to show the in-betweens of action. Doc Samson is shown Winding up, next panel the Hulk is flying upward walloped! Dr Strange can make an incantation and then we can see the effect of it, we don't need to watch two light sabers bounce off each other for five minutes. 
I also think many action scenes reply on regular action scene tropes like parkour moves or slides when our superheroes don't necessarily fight like that. Again, I think Marvel did a nice job unlike a lot of films by showing a \distinct fighting style of Batroc vs Cap for instance. But overall everyone fights the same overall in these films and tv shows. 

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 August 2022 at 7:29pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

1. The ability to show many actions occurring all at the same time or very close together in time... and have it easily comprehensible.
2. To explicitly convey what a person (or people) is (are) thinking at the same time as a conversation is going on.
3. I feel comics are better than movies at showing you things that are non-literal. Movies can sort of do this (say the whole screen is drenched in a certain colour), but not particularly well. But you can have lines of alarm coming off Spidey's head, or waves of stink coming off a pile of crap, and so on. Now with modern post-production techniques, you could overly these on a movie, but I'm not sure it would be readily accepted by audiences. it just isn't part of the language of cinema in the way that it is a part of the language of comics.

I'm sure there are others.

Edited by Peter Martin on 09 August 2022 at 7:31pm

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |