Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: Simple things you can do in comics, but not in other media Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 August 2022 at 7:42am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I was remembering how much fun I had as a kid reading about 10-15 issues of Marv Wollfman and George Perez's New Teen Titans, and I was comparing it with how I hate watched the series (until even that became impossible in season 3 when it switched from entertaining/bad to offensive/bad).

Aside from the obvious differences in character development, overall scenery design, and more issues that I'm sure the experts can analyze better, one thing that stroke me was how "easy" it is in comic books to draw an alien invasion on Earth from weird-looking creatures, and how difficult would be to create this in a TV series.

In comic books, you can draw multiple green aliens with weird shapes, planets exploding, thousands of members of a cult in a giant and oddly shaped building... You instantly transport readers to another planet where everything is totally different: plants, moons...

It would take maybe too much budget to do this on a TV series. So apart from the quality, the creative liberty... This is one of the reasons TV series fail to capture fantasy, super hero, spectacular science fiction comic books.

The Titans series, apart from the excessive darkness and terrible plot moments, is weird because there never seem to be more than 5 humans or humanoid aliens on screen at once. And I'm sure this must be the case too in many other superhero series. But being able to "create" all those weird sceneries and creatures without spending hundreds of millions is a cool aspect of comic books that TV series just can't replicate.

Of course, there are other things you can only do in comic books, like inserting a newspaper or book page.

And sometimes even big budget movies can't do it properly. So I was wondering if Byrne Robotics members have noticed any situation where a series or a movie is clearly missing something that "can only be done properly" in a comic book (or would take too much budget in case of TV).

Edited by Carlos Velasco on 07 August 2022 at 12:00pm
Back to Top profile | search

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 August 2022 at 5:39pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

In the case of tv, Netflix seems to excel @ taking comics & gutting the
effects heavy scenes, necessitating stories that bear superficial
resemblance @ best to the source material.

The bones are there but the guts & muscle are missing.

Examples would be Locke & Key, Paper Girls.

Sandman seems to be an exception
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Anthony Musgrave
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 August 2022 at 11:51pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I'm not sure if it's the type of example you were thinking of Carlos, but the first thing I thought of was the thought balloon.  You can have whole issues of comics were the protagonists don't need to have any 'dialogue' with other characters for us to know what's motivating them, what they think of the situations they're in etc., because as readers we know all this via thought balloon 'telepathy'.  By contrast, on a TV show or film, we usually only learn what's on characters minds when they say it out loud to other characters.  I have noted in recent years that more and more comic writers seem reluctant to use thought balloons though.  I'm not sure why, as I feel it connects the comic audience with the characters they read about to a much greater extent than is possible in other media.

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 August 2022 at 12:21am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

What Anthony said. Thought balloons was the first thing
that came to my mind. A great tool of the medium that has
been almost totally abandoned for some unfortunate reason.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 August 2022 at 2:43am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Thought balloons are a great example.

I personally blame their loss on The Dark Knight Returns & Watchmen,
which popularised the thought box, which I do not like as much.

Again, The Sandman seems to be an exception to the rule here in that it
includes this in its content.

& apologies on my first post, Paper Girls is of course, Amazon Prime, not
Metflix.

Rodrigo castellanos
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 August 2022 at 3:21am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

You can do thought balloons in the form of voice over narration but save a few exceptions it's considered, I don't know... tacky? You should be able to convey how a character is feeling or what he's thinking without the character explicitly telling the audience that.

And it's true that since DKR and Watchmen their prevalence in modern comics was greatly reduced. Both were good in replacing them, though. DKR with its TV "greek chorus" (not exactly replacing the character's thoughts but a good gimmick for the reader to get a sense of the "feel" of the time) and Watchmen with the journal and supplementary materials like book pages, newspaper stories, etc. that Carlos mentioned. Thought boxes were used just for Dr. Manhattan if I'm not mistaken.

It's much more organic, and that's impossible to translate to film. In the Watchmen movie having Rorschach doing it in voice over looked ridiculous (his rants are supposed to be a little ridiculous but I doubt Snyder got that), since those are words meant to be read, not heard.

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 August 2022 at 7:21am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Carlos Velasco
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 August 2022 at 11:25am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Back to Titans, I think it's almost offensive to go from George Pérez's drawings with all the detail they can contain including multiple "extras", superpowers in action and exotic places, to what you see in the series, where places are usually empty. They even made Beast Boy only turn into a tiger clearly to save money!

Another example perhaps would be the use of color. Some comic books are in black and white and those have a very peculiar feeling. Others are colored "old style" using fewer colors, and this can create am impressionist effect that's harder to do with "realistic" coloring (Watchmen does this, and Gibbons explained he used color to create lighter or darker moods).

Mario Ribeiro
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 August 2022 at 12:28pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Basically, half of the Fantastic Four.

In comics, we can see and accept the use of Sue's powers because it's a medium in which we see stuff that the characters are not seeing (speed lines, baloons, etc.) Film doesn't work this way, and you don't get the same effect.

And Ben, of course. In comics, Ben is real and lives and breathes as much as anyone else. Sure, he's different, but he's part of that reality. CGI is not there yet, and anyway filmmakers don't want him to look "silly", so they'll never get him right.

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 08 August 2022 at 1:10pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

If I’m understanding the point….

A favorite example is when Roger Stern, writing THE AVENGERS, had the Wasp talking about changes they’d been seeing in the Vision, especially his mode of speech. And for that moment Jan’s speech balloon became square.

It was such a marvelous moment, and something that could only be done in comics.

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 August 2022 at 2:01pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

You can do thought balloons in the form of voice over narration but save a few exceptions it's considered, I don't know... tacky? You should be able to convey how a character is feeling or what he's thinking without the character explicitly telling the audience that.

=======================================================

I thought shows like Magnum, P.I., MacGyver and Quantum Leap used the voice over to good effect to help get in to the characters' thoughts.

Conrad Teves
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 August 2022 at 5:02pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I doubt this J Michael Straczynski Doctor Doom joke would work at all in any other medium:  Link
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |