Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 September 2006 at 6:16pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

And on it goes!

Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne

Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 10 September 2006 at 6:18am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

You can see a direct line between Hal Foster, Frank Bellamy and Al Williamson.

Williamson is a very vocal Bellamy fan. In fact, there is one story he did for Warren that is panel after panel of swipes from HEROS THE SPARTAN!

Yes, even the truly great artists swipe. Comforting, isn't it?

John Byrne

Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 10 September 2006 at 6:19am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Are there collections of DAN DARE available?

Quite a few. Check Amazon.com for a start.

Glenn Greenberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 September 2006 at 10:09am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I didn't know Frank Bellamy's name--or even of his existence--until today.

I just want to say I'm BLOWN AWAY by his work.

I've always loved the work of Hal Foster and Al Williamson, and this gent is right up there with them.

Just to get this back to Star Trek--

As a fan back in the 80s, when DC was publishing the Trek comics, I wrote letter after letter begging to see Al Williamson do an issue (or twelve!) of the series. Alas, it never happened. But in my mind's eye, based on what Al had done with Star Wars, I could see what he would have done with Star Trek...

and it would have been GORGEOUS.

Gerry Turnbull
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 September 2006 at 11:05am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

he did a mean Dr Who also.JB any thoughts on Frank Hampson?

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne

Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 24 January 2020 at 8:14pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Just restarting this thread for.......

SPAAAAAAACE FORRRRRRRRCE

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 24 January 2020 at 8:34pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Impeachable offense!

He really does just ruin everything he touches.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 January 2020 at 8:37pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

And to me, the ultimate irony (in this place, at this time) is that we NEED a space force. Trump got one right... but he's so despised (and despicable) that too many people just reject his ideas.

There is no way to tell when visitors will be coming... but if we start to prepare now, then even if it is a boondoggle, we may likely appreciate it someday. And considering that there is literally 0% chance for us to tell when it's happening... now is literally as good as any time.

I want to think that the technology required to organize and create a space force would be a big enough step forward to give NASA a kick start back into space. Newer technology could lead to even newer developments... maybe that drive that can generate even a tiny percent of the speed of light.

There's a lot of exploring to be done, even if we just limit it to the inner solar system - say, Mercury to Mars inclusive. So much to learn, so much to know, so much to theorize. Have we EVER been able to see if there is a "counter Earth", exactly opposite the planet in the same relative orbit? Or anything on the other side of the sun from Earth?

This might be the way for us to deliver observation satellites into counter-Earth orbits, so that we not only can learn more about that space, but so that we can try to scan for incoming asteroids. We have ZERO planning for it right now; knowing the threat might get things started for a plan.

Trump suggested it for all the wrong reasons... but I think the concept is valid.

Robbie Moubert
Byrne Robotics Member

Evertonian

Posted: 25 January 2020 at 9:33pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Frank Bellamy himself admired the work of other artists. In his 1973 interview with Dez Skinn and Dave Gibbons (his only recorded interview), he mentioned that Tarzan was the first strip that really impressed him - "Especially Hal Foster's version though I also admired Hogarth's."

Asked to name any other favourite American artists he responded:

"Well, because I don't see a lot of American comics, the artists' names escape me, but John Buscema who drew the Silver Surfer is very good, and of course Neal Adams and Al Williamson. Joe Kubert is doing well on Tarzan and one thing I'd love to do would be to be given his job and draw Tarzan. I also thoroughly enjoyed Joe Kubert's Sgt. Rock tales."

He also talked about his fight to produce Fraser of Africa using mainly sepia tones. The printers were against it but he produced a series of samples for them to photograph and prove that it would work.

Edited to add: Just noticed how old those Bellamy posts are! Hopefully this post is still of interest!

Edited by Robbie Moubert on 25 January 2020 at 9:35pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 January 2020 at 11:36pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Do you think the perisphere and trilon of the 1939-40 New York World's Fair really influenced Dan Dare and Star Trek insignia? I'm not sure what to think of that. Dan Dare has a really big fan base, but I'm not sure I'd like the idea of Trump being a Star Trek fan of any kind. Maybe they'll make an official motto of "To Infinity And Beyond", or how about "Make Space Great Again" or "It's Morning Again In Space"? One would be swiped from Toy Story and the others variations on line from old Reagan campaigns... not a smart businessman that Reagan; didn't trademark and copyright his own phrase, leaving it wide open for Trump to sell on hats. But I might hope Paramount could sue them for using that insignia, although they'd be in line behind hundreds, possibly thousands, of others.

John Byrne

Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 26 January 2020 at 10:40am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Elements of DAN DARE were influenced by THINGS TO COME, which predated the World’s Fair by three years, and which seems to have had some influence on the “World of Tomorrow”.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 January 2020 at 11:46am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I have a colorized by Ray Harryhausen DVD of Things To Come, with a bunch of Harryhausen extras. I should really get the Criterion edition I think; that was one amazing film visually! Been too long since I even thought about it. And there's a lot I don't know about Dan Dare, what I do is mostly just from rubbing elbows with people into that who are also into Gerry Anderson.

There's a lot of great color footage of the '39 World's Fair grounds, hours even, a bit of it is on youtube. Imagine going through that perisphere tram ride (it was sort of Robert Moses and GMs vision of the future which pretty much did come to pass (much to the expense of the Bronx and other places). As with the self-driving cars and hooking refrigerators up to the internet it's the people who really didn't read much science fiction, or in Trump's case read much period, wanting to make things a reality that can be genuinely terrifying. :^(

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 26 January 2020 at 11:47am

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |