Posted: 27 July 2017 at 6:49am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Ric Flair 30 for 30 set to air November 7th! Set your
DVRs!
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2017 at 9:32am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I look forward to it.

I just read that Terry Funk retired in late 2016. How many times is that now? Is this a permanent retirement? ;-) 
Back to Top profile | search

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2017 at 5:57pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Watched the "I Quit" match between Terry Funk and Ric Flair (CLASH OF THE CHAMPIONS IX) earlier. I have seen it previously.

I'm not entirely sure it ever warranted the hype, but it's a solid match, I suppose.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 July 2017 at 7:56am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Thinking about the WCW/WWF war, was Ted Turner ever a wrestling fan? I don't mean in the sense that he showed up at some WCW events now and again (that isn't a fan), but did he like the sport?

Personally, I think he was only ever interested in milking the sport. Has he talked about wrestling since the demise of WCW? 

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 July 2017 at 11:36am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Turner appreciated that it was wrestling that helped put his network on the map and generally drew his biggest ratings and he bought WCW and kept it going even when it wasn't profitable because of that. 

I've also never been as enamoured with that Flair/Funk match as many others seem to be.  

Edited by John Popa on 30 July 2017 at 11:40am

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 July 2017 at 2:09pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Yes, John, I think it's a tad overrated. 

Been watching STARRCADE '89, one of my favourite WCW PPVs. If I may use baseball parlance, I think Great Muta was the MVP of that event! 

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2017 at 3:04pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Been watching some 1993-1995 WWF stuff recently. It got me thinking about Lex Luger.

I quite liked his matches in WCW, circa late 80s. He had some solid bouts in WWF, too. He always seemed enthusiastic.

It's a shame, in a way, that he didn't have more success, i.e. a I-C or Tag Team Title run. Or even a world title run. If Bret Hart had not been in the WWF, I do think they may have gone with a Luger title run most likely.

Just seems sad how his career went down between 1993 and 1995. At SUMMERSLAM '93, he's challenging Yokozuna for the WWF Title; two years later, at SUMMERSLAM '95, he's not even wrestling on the card, but does appear at ringside during the Diesel/Mabel event. 

He seemed quite hot in 1994. But even then, I think WM X was his last big moment. He didn't even appear on the card at KOTR '94 - and at SUMMERSLAM of that year, he was wrestling Tatanka for bragging rights. 

On a final note, I wouldn't mind seeing a Blu-ray set for him one day, featuring his NWA/WCW and WWF work. I was told by someone that McMahon holds it against him for bailing out on WWF during the Monday Night Wars. Come on! McMahon has made up with people who've sued him, criticized him, testified in court against him, etc. I find it hard to believe that nearly 22 years after Luger jumped ship, McMahon still holds a grudge, enough of a grudge not to allow WWE to release a Blu-ray or acknowledge Luger.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2017 at 12:46am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Funny thing you mentioned Great Muta and Lex Luger in your last two posts.

Muta is still one of my favorite Japanese wrestlers, and I actually got to see him wrestle live once back in the 90's. Unfortunately it was a squash match against my least favorite WCW `big name' wrestler of all-time. 

That wrestler was named Lex Luger, and the event was Clash of Champions XV.

Luger was great in the WWF, but I hated him in WCW. All my favorite Luger matches in WCW involve him as Sting's tag team partner, come to think of it....

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2017 at 5:28am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I feel he appeared to have enthusiasm at all times in his career (some don't). That's a perception, but it seemed that way. I loved his match teaming with The Giant to face Hogan and Rodman at BATB '97.

I was thinking about DVD releases last night. I'd love to see a Steiners DVD with a bio/matches. Plenty of archival footage to choose from.  

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2017 at 3:35pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Thinking about some odd couples/trios today.

Back during the Federation era, all heels stuck together (mainly), but it did produce some weird combinations.

I saw a promo that Razor Ramon, Nailz and Kamala did (before facing Ultimate Warrior, Big Boss Man and Undertaker). Ramon seemed startled by Kamala's screams. And as a loner-type character, it was odd seeing Ramon backstage with Kamala/Nailz. I mean, why would Kamala have teamed with anyone?

Also, seeing the Berzerker and Papa Shango together is bizarre.

On a separate note, I've been watching Royal Rumble promos/events recently. Makes me smile how some of the heels don't seem to remember it's EVERY MAN FOR HIMSELF.

In 1990, the Warlord, then teaming with Barbarian as Powers of Pain, tells the viewers, "We will be the victors!" How, exactly? ;-)

Dino Bravo and Earthquake, managed by Jimmy Hart, also cut a promo at the 1990 event. Earthquake looks at the camera and says, "Nobody is safe, everybody's going out!" I hope Bravo didn't get offended by that. ;-)

And moments later (or before if filmed prior to the Quake/Bravo promo), Jimmy Hart is with Honky Tonk Man. Whilst he was supporting his men Quake/Bravo in the previous promo, here he's supporting Honky Tonk Man. To be fair, Honky Tonk Man grasps it's every man for himself as he promises to "play 29 tunes" and be the winner...

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2017 at 3:40pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I feel Lex Luger had his best years in NWA/WCW - feuding with Nikita Koloff, Ric Flair,  Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat, & Brian Pillman to name a few. Luger as a heel always worked but he had a few good moments as a babyface until he left for the WWF. That's when (to me) he seemed a bit bland as a performer.

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2017 at 6:32pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I thought Luger was overrated prior to going to the WWF to begin with. I actually liked him in the WWF, but not in WCW at all.

And yes, he was definitely bland after going back. 

My favorite Luger match in WCW is probably the match against Stan Hansen at Starrcade in 1990. And I actually didn't see that match until several years later.

But I can't think of a single Luger match that I really enjoyed after he returned to the company from the WWF.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 August 2017 at 6:11am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

But I can't think of a single Luger match that I really enjoyed after he returned to the company from the WWF.

Not even the BATB '97 main event? ;-) 

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 August 2017 at 12:33pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Nope.

Come to think of it, there was one Luger match I enjoyed. It involved him and Sting fighting at a beach, and Sting hit an underwater piledriver on Luger. Think it was in 1999 or 2000.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 August 2017 at 1:22pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

I continue to catch up with so much archive footage (thank you, WWE Network).

It does make me smile how, within a storyline, wrestlers were so forgiving. Earthquake kills Jake's python in summer of 1991 - and yet in late 1991, Jake is prepared to team with Quake/Typhoon/IRS at the Survivor Series (Jake didn't wrestle at that event). 

And it's nice how the Rock and Hogan shook hand at WM X-8 when Hogan, driving a truck, smashed into Rock's ambulance weeks earlier.

Those wrestlers are very forgiving! 

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 August 2017 at 8:44am | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Was thinking earlier about how some stars were noticeable by their absence at certain PPV events during the Federation Era.

Of course, one cannot put every wrestler on a card, but some things didn't make sense to me.

For example, Randy Savage did an interview at the 1990 SURVIVOR SERIES, but didn't wrestle on the card. I was surprised at the time as I don't recall Savage, who was a big star, missing a PPV prior to that.

Then there's SUMMERSLAM 1991. The Rockers didn't appear at the event. Nor did the Beverly Brothers. Two teams that were on the rise at the time (perhaps they should have faced each other). Also, where was the Undertaker? He gatecrashed Randy Savage's wedding party, but given that he'd made his debut nine months earlier, and there were fewer PPVs back then, it felt odd to see him absent from the card. Jake Roberts, too. Like Taker, he showed up at the wedding, but a match might have been nice.

Didn't Ric Flair debut prior to SUMMERSLAM '91? Seems odd for the WWF to gain such a "coup" in acquiring Flair's service and then not use him. Nor did he wrestle at SUMMERSLAM '92. That seemed odd, too. Interfering at ringside during the Warrior/Savage match doesn't count for me.

And then there's SURVIVOR SERIES '91? Sid Justice was set to team with Big Boss Man and Legion of Doom to face Jake Roberts, IRS and the Natural Disasters. I believe Sid had an injury. So Jake was cut from the match and we were left with a six-man tag match pitting Boss Man and LOD VS IRS & Natural Disasters. Good though that was, it seemed a bit "cheap" of the WWF: could they not have substituted Sid with someone. Randy Savage was in a retirement angle at the time, but the likes of Greg Valentine and Superfly Jimmy Snuka were active then, perhaps they could have filled the spot?

And on a final note, there's WRESTLEMANIA VIII. No Davey Boy Smith???! At the time, the WWF was hot in the UK, airing events such as UK RAMPAGE and BATTLE ROYAL AT THE ALBERT HALL. It was doing good ratings on Sky TV. It was more popular then ever. For us Brits, it seemed bizarre for WM VIII not to feature Davey Boy.

Any views on the above? Or can you think of examples of PPVs that were noticeable by the absence of certain stars.

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 August 2017 at 12:04pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

DAvey Boy was supposed to wrestle the Berzerker at 'Mania VIII but it was cut for time. But if it was advertised the whole time, the match being cut day of the show shouldn't have affected British buys.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 August 2017 at 12:28pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

Oh, I see. It's a shame he was cut.

I wouldn't have minded seeing some of my favourites at WM VIII. I always liked the Warlord. He left the WWF in mid-April (losing to Virgil in his final match), but could have been included on the WM VIII card, which took place on April 5th, 1992. 

The Barbarian, another favourite of mine, just seemed to disappear quietly following the 1992 ROYAL RUMBLE. 

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 August 2017 at 1:30pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

Has anyone ordered a DVD from Kayfabe Commentaries?

There's nothing on their site which confirms that they ship to the UK. You can download their products, but I do prefer to own physical media with some things.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 August 2017 at 12:39am | IP Logged | 20 post reply

Robbie, not only were wrestlers very forgiving, but I thought it was hilarious when they'd run angles where the solution was to beat their opponent in a match (ie, pinning them) when it should have been to send them to hospital and/or end their career.

The Archie Gouldie-Bad News Allen feud (Bad News turned on Gouldie and his kayfabe son, and ended the latter's career) and Raven stealing Sandman's family are good examples where the heel should have ended up hospitalized, not just defeated.

(The Gouldie-Allen feud was made even worse by having the misfortune of having one of the worst announcers ever calling the matches.)

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 August 2017 at 9:04am | IP Logged | 21 post reply

You are right. :)

It does make me smile. Not meaning to be anal, but just reacting humorously.

I mean, come on, Jake Roberts, Earthquake did kill your snake in the summer of 1991! You may have turned to the dark side, but how could you even consider teaming with him at Survivor Series?

It inspires us all, though. If Warrior can team with Undertaker a year after being locked in a casket, then we should all be able to forgive each other for anything. ;-)

I agree about heels being hospitalized. On that point, I don't agree with two opponents, with bad blood between them, standing in a ring with microphones. You'd surely drop the mike and just fight! It'd be more convincing for guys to record promos away from each other until they wrestle - but speaking for 10-15 minutes face-to-face when there's bad blood doesn't convince me.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 August 2017 at 1:10pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

Two things to me break the believability of wrestling in a heartbeat:

Enemies with that kind of bad blood spending time cutting promos face to face instead of fighting on sight.

The Canadian Destroyer finisher. Of all the wrestling moves out there, its the one where you have to suspend belief. Because it is too obvious that the `victim' is helping pull off that move.

(Its usually obvious the victim is co-operating with a Chokeslam (I actually know how to execute that move. The person taking it actually jumps and pushes off the attacker's shoulder), but nowhere near as obvious as the Canadian Destroyer.)

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 August 2017 at 3:29pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

I agree about the Canadian Destroyer.

There are so many things, and you don't have to be a booker to know this, that can be done to increase credibility.

I liked the 2005 Batista/Triple H feud. You may recall an angle where JBL's "limo" tried to run over Batista - and Triple H kept trying to convince Batista to "defect" to SmackDown. Triple H had engineered the limo incident.

Well, Triple H was speaking on camera, backstage, about how stupid Batista was and how necessary it was to pull that limo stunt. And he said it in full view of the camera. So, why the hell was he surprised that Batista found out? Yes, Batista was listening outside the door, but even if he hadn't been, surely he'd realize that Batista would view RAW or hear about it. Why reveal your plans with a cameraman in front of you?!!

Might have been more believable for Batista to discover a tape recording, to the horror of Triple H, which revealed Hunter and Flair's plans. 

I just never got why some wrestlers revealed 'secret' plans when a huge camera and cameraman was in front of them.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 August 2017 at 12:13am | IP Logged | 24 post reply

The Canadian Destroyer would be better if it only worked on Canadians.

Announcer: "He kicked out of the Canadian Destroyer like it was nothing! How the hell did he do that?!"

Color commentator: "He's American."

(Chris Jericho would be allowed to sell the move a bit then kick out at 2, since he's actually American born but was raised in Canada.)

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 August 2017 at 5:56am | IP Logged | 25 post reply

Speaking of finishers, Hogan's "Legdrop of Doom" looked painful (for the recipient). I know these guys are trained professionals, but surely there's some pain in taking that?

<< Prev Page of 224 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |