Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Sports Talk MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Sports Talk << Prev Page of 243 Next >>
Topic: The Squared Circle Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2018 at 9:05pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Sweet. 

He did an episode the Talk Is Jericho podcast last year, and his mind is as sharp as ever. Some of his stories had me laughing big time. (His original mask was made out of a woman's girdle!)
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 February 2018 at 8:49am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Just bought Lex Luger's autobiography (eBook format, Kindle). I hope he covers his WWF run in detail. 
Back to Top profile | search

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 February 2018 at 9:18pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I'd be interested in finding out if he talks about Miss Elizabeth in the book. Because a lot of people still hold him partially to blame for her death.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 February 2018 at 8:08am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

If I remember, I'll mention it when I get that far. :)

I wish Vince McMahon would write an autobiography. Biased though it would be (and aren't all autobiographies biased?), it would no doubt be a gripping tale.

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 February 2018 at 9:34am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Well, we do have a biopic on Vince McMahon, called Pandemonium, in development to look forward to.

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 February 2018 at 11:51am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Cool, didn't know that.

By the way, this is fascinating:

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 February 2018 at 4:03pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Interesting read.

If Luger or Sting had been the third man instead of Hogan, the nWo would not have lasted long. 

The nWo would have died a quick death with Luger, because he was never that great on the mic, and one of the most overrated main event guys in WCW. (He was a lot better in the WWF.)

With Sting, they'd have been a face stable within a couple of months, if not disbanded altogether. Sting is the ultimate babyface, and attempted heel turns have never worked with him. He was the face member of the heel Main Event Mafia in TNA, and WCW sorta kinda turned him heel briefly for all of two weeks in 1999 or 2000, then simply ignored the turn. 

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 February 2018 at 9:48pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Talk at the time was that Bret Hart was who they wanted to be the 3rd member (this is when WCW was heavily courting him, they even teased it might be Hart on their hotline.)  But Hart turned them down a couple times.  Sting and Luger were back-up plans at best.

At this point, with everyone rewriting history and memories fading, the real story is probably mostly lost to the years. 

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 February 2018 at 6:38am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Very true, John.

If Luger or Sting had been the third man, I could imagine the feud having lasted only until the end of 1996. It certainly would not have had the longevity that the nWo had.

It was time for Hogan to change. That silly "Doomsday Cage Match" (or whatever it was called) at UNCENSORED '96 was the end of the road for WCW Hulkamania. True, I might have seen some mileage in a babyface Hogan taking on Scott Hall or Kevin Nash early on, but I think it added a new dimension to see Hogan on the side of the bad guys.

It's just a shame they diluted it. I never minded nWo Wolfpac, the idea of factions is a fictional trope, but once we had random people joining the nWo, not to mention Latino World Order and the like, it had ran out of steam.

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 February 2018 at 11:34am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I think had Bret been the 3rd guy it would have been shocking but they would have been seen as babyfaces pretty quickly, especially against Hogan and the WCW guys who'd been there forever. It would have been cool, but probably not as historic.

Hogan was absolutely the right choice to change business and give everyone new life.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 February 2018 at 12:32pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

The interesting thing about wrestling "What if?" questions is that the slightest deviation could have changed a federation, or the business, in profound ways.

I mean, if Bret had left for WCW, there'd have been no feud with Steve Austin. And if Triple H had won the 1996 King of the Ring (as planned), there'd have been no Austin 3:16 speech.

Would Austin have made it still? I'm sure he would have (he had the talent), but how? The Austin 3:16 speech, and the WM XIII match with Bret, certainly elevated him to heights; he was soaring high, anyway, but what route would have taken without a KOTR win or a Bret Hart to oppose?

One could imagine many things. What if Bret Hart had stayed with WWF after Montreal? Would the Mr. McMahon character have come about? Would the WWF have continued to showcase Bret/Shawn, and feature Bret in other main events? Would Austin have been in the main event of WM XIV?

So many things could have changed the direction of the business. In big and small ways. I mean, what would the post-2001 landscape of WWF been like if WCW had been purchased, saved and returned to great heights?

What if, eh? 

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 February 2018 at 2:09pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

UK fans:

5 Star Wrestling (whatever that is) airs on FreeSports Channel (95). Check out your EPG if interested.

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 February 2018 at 2:10pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Only thing I'm fairly confident about is the rise of Stone Cold Steve Austin.

Whether it was at KOTR or elsewhere, Austin would've found an opening to stand out among the pack in the WWF at that time. He had been practicing his gimmick in ECW after all, and was likely to have a program with Hart and Shawn at some point. Triple H was still hanging on to HBK's coat tails so I'm not so sure he would've benefitted much from the KOTR win like Austin did.

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 February 2018 at 5:48pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

He certainly would have made it, it just would have been via a different route.

"What if?" can be broken down in so many different ways. Some things would have happened, but via a different route (Austin), other things may not have occurred at all. If not for Montreal, would the "Mr. McMahon" character have been born? Or would McMahon have carried on in the commentary booth for a few more years?

I read that Jim Hellwig, who we know as Ultimate Warrior, was the original choice to play "Big Van Vader" in Japan. How different would things have been if Mr Hellwig had adopted that persona? What would it have meant for the man we know played the role?

What if Hulk Hogan had not joined WCW in 1994, but had instead returned to WWF? What would that have meant?

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 February 2018 at 8:12pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Regarding the nWo, it really should have ended once the Fingerpoke of Doom occured. I was a diehard WCW fan (watched the WWE too, but much preferred WCW), and the Fingerpoke angered me so much that I stopped watching for a month.

The nWo never really had a proper ending, but the Fingerpoke aftermath should have been Sting, DDP and Goldberg showing up; backed up by the rest of the locker room, and cleaning house: Sting going after Hogan with the baseball bat, Goldberg speaing either Hall or Nash so hard that they almost coughed up a lung, and DDP laying out everyone in his way until he got to whichever one was left and hitting a Diamond Cutter on them. Then Hogan, Nash and Hall off tv for a while.

I would have liked a scenario where the three leave with their tails between their legs and the rest of the nWo disbanding, only for Hall and Nash to return and sneak attack someone, setting up a feud where Hogan eventually returns....as a shock to Nash and Hall as Hulk Hogan, apologizing for all the evil he did and opposing them.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 February 2018 at 5:58am | IP Logged | 16 post reply

I do like your idea, Mr Floyd!

Hogan's babyface return came out of nowhere. I remember him hearing some cheers against Flair (SUPERBRAWL IX or UNCENSORED '99, perhaps?). But within a short time, he was a babyface again - and the yellow attire returned.

I always felt they should have done a "Road To Redemption" storyline, have Hogan do that and eventually cut a promo on NITRO where he acknowledged his '96 heel turn, apologised, begged for forgiveness - and then became a babyface again, taking on the likes of Hall and Nash.

I know it's not the same, but I remember Sgt. Slaughter begging for forgiveness within the context of WWF MAGAZINE articles prior to his turn, acknowledging his poor choices. They should have made Hogan do that. Instead, we got the quickest babyface turn in history.

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 February 2018 at 4:18pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

I thought the NWO should have died well before the Fingerpoke. If the idea was to turn Hogan, my idea would have been after Hogan lost to Sting at Starrcade, that the others turn on him the next night at Nitro and send him home for a month or two. Meanwhile, the remaining NWO is rougher and more violent than ever with Nash in charge but it builds to a summer War Games match against the top babyfaces where Hogan returns as the last member of their team and helps save the day.

Edited by John Popa on 09 February 2018 at 4:18pm

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 February 2018 at 4:54pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

Whilst I like Brian's idea, I like yours also, John. 

Post-Fingerpoke, it all went downhill. Some 1999 PPVs were unwatchable. BASH AT THE BEACH '99 was woeful. 

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 February 2018 at 1:16pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

The indy fed CHIKARA PRO * has a new rookie fresh out of their wrestling school named Airwolf.

I look forward to the debuts of their next graduates, Street Hawk and Knight Rider. 

*If you've never heard of the promotion, I highly recommend giving them a look.

Edited by Brian Floyd on 11 February 2018 at 1:16pm

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 February 2018 at 2:07pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

Well, all we need now is for a rookie wrestler called Blue Thunder to appear and feud with him!

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2018 at 11:38am | IP Logged | 21 post reply

New WWE Hall of Fame inductee announced: Ivory.

About time. She should be in already, and it's a load of bull that Beth Phoenix got in before her.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2018 at 1:57pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

Agreed.

I'm just wondering, who'll be in 2019? There can only be a handful of people left who are worthy. Otherwise EVERYONE will end up in it.

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2018 at 4:13pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

The only woman that's really an oversight to me is Molly Holly, and a lot of that is for all the work she did as a trainer and mentor to the divas of her era. But, yeah, in time just about everyone will get in if they want to induct one woman every year.

I think this year is going to be a little smaller of a class, in part because they realize they're going to run out of inductees and also in part because the feeling is the ceremony goes too long.

(I read Bam Bam Bigelow is up this year as well.)

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2018 at 5:09pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

There was a near-decade gap between Hall of Fame ceremonies. Andre the Giant was the inaugural inductee (1993), but there were ceremonies between 1994 and 1996. However, there wasn't another ceremony until 2004. Since that time, they've been an annual event.

And that has sort of been a problem. I get it, it's a money-making thing, it's a spectacle. No way are they going to have another hiatus. But the other side of the coin is that annual events mean more and more people entering. It was good that the WWF/E had a break between '96 and '04. 

With it being annual, it sort of dilutes it for me. Again, won't everyone end up in it? I fear that it's going to become akin to the action figure lines: everyone will get a slice of the pie. 

Coming soon: Gobbledy Gooker. 

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2018 at 8:06pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

As far as women go, Molly Holly should definitely be in already. So should Chyna, but with things the way they are, I don't see her going in anytime soon, if ever.

Sable will probably get in, eventually, but I'm not sure she really deserves the honor over a lot of other women. My guess is she gets in the same year her husband, Brock Lesnar, does.

<< Prev Page of 243 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |