Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Sports Talk MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Sports Talk << Prev Page of 236
Topic: The Squared Circle Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 February 2018 at 1:34pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I absolutely hated WCW with Russo running things - even before he actually popped up on tv - and I believe it hastened the promotion's death. Russo is slime. 

And someone should have punched Ed Fererra in the mouth, because he even made fun of JR's Bells Palsy when he was imitating him as Oklahoma. Tasteless.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 February 2018 at 1:43pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

It was tasteless. Very tasteless. Even if one puts the tastelessness aside (and who can), I would say to those two: WHAT THE FUCK WERE YOU DOING? DID YOU EXPECT OKLAHOMA TO DRAW MONEY? TO ATTRACT PPV BUYRATES? DID YOU THINK IT WOULD ATTRACT RATINGS?

Vince Russo is one of the most contradictory individuals in wrestling. In various interviews, he has talked about entertaining people and getting as many eyeballs as possible watching his stuff. Yeah, right. Because, you know, someone like me saw Oklahoma and thought, 'Damn, I simply must tune into the next episode of NITRO to see where this Oklahoma story leads.'

There are many things that kept me hooked. In 'recent' times, the Batista/Triple H feud (2005) was one. I wanted to follow that. And when the nWo was in its infancy, I wanted to know what happened next.

A mere 7-8 years before Russo booked Oklahoma to battle Madusa for the Cruiserweight Title, we'd had the likes of Jushin Liger and Flyin' Brian battling for the Light Heavyweight Title.

Want to know Russo's dumbest comment? It was during a shoot interview around the early 2000s. He talked about 'reality' and why would people watch fake wrestling (or something) when we can watch the Iraq War on TV. Oh, fuck off! War is awful. Necessary at times, but awful. Why would I want to watch wrestling over the real Iraq War? Because I want to escape and be entertained.

Russo gave the fans what he THOUGHT we wanted. He talked about how fans wanted to know the ending to a match the moment it started. He judged people by his own short attention span standards. I love long matches. There's a balance, sure, but I remember when Shawn Michaels, then in the Rockers, fought Ted DiBiase (around 1990). It was released on WWF'S HOTTEST MATCHES. Around 18 minutes, I believe. And it was great.

But if Michaels and DiBiase had been in WCW back then, and Russo/Ferrara had been booking, it'd have been four minutes long and ended when someone like Sid Justice entered and somehow got pinned despite not being in the match.
Back to Top profile | search

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 February 2018 at 12:57pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I don't recall it being mentioned in this topic, but I am told that THE RESURRECTION OF JAKE ROBERTS is on Netflix. Has anyone seen it?
Back to Top profile | search

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 236
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |