Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Movies << Prev Page of 933 Next >>
Topic: What disc did you have in last (and what did you think)? Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 August 2019 at 6:09pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

40th anniversary of:

APOCALYPSE NOW (1979)

Definitely one of the greatest war movies ever made... arguably the best one about Vietnam.

Back to Top profile | search

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 August 2019 at 3:00pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Followed by the 10th anniversary of:

INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS (2009)

Most of the time, I think this could be Quentin Tarantino's masterpiece... then the especially lousy Brad Pitt, the unconvincing Eli Roth and the distracting Mike Myers show up, and I think I'm suddenly watching an entirely different movie.

So:  Frustratingly uneven, but still damned good.  Hitchcock always gets labeled the "Master of Suspense," but Tarantino, for me, is arguably better at it and gets my vote as the "Master of Tension & Dread," as judged by the borderline-excruciating opening scene on the farm, and the standoff in the basement bar about halfway through.  Utterly masterful!

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 August 2019 at 6:05pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

"Master of Tension & Dread"

--

He'd get my vote for Michael Maden's scene with the cop in RESEVOIR DOGS, especially when he walks out of the scene to get the gasoline canister out of the car, with the camera following him the whole time.

John Byrne

Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 23 August 2019 at 4:57am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Much as I enjoyed INGLORIOUS BASTERDS on first viewing, I have not been able to watch it a second time. The same elements that built tension on initial viewing become intolerable the next time around (as when caught while channel surfing). "GET ON WITH IT!!"

Jason G. Michalski
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 August 2019 at 6:35am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Spider-Man 2. When the passengers on the train realize Spider-Man is just a kid after he saves them chokes me up every time. 

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 August 2019 at 6:41am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

It's funny that while I had the same reaction to INGLORIOUS BASTERDS, when I tick off the key elements for building suspense in a scene (emotion, conflict, opposition, immediacy, consequences, limited time, and even doubt), I note that Tarantino had them all. But whereas innumerable other movies maintain tension upon repeated viewings, seeing this film but once acts as a spoiler. 

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 August 2019 at 4:51pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Michael, I have no idea what you mean... if you see ANY film once, hasn't it been "spoiled" from then on?  What is it about Tarantino that's any different?

Honestly, that argument doesn't make any sense to me.

DW Zomberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 August 2019 at 9:54am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

realize Spider Man is a kid

Hate that scene. Another excuse for the actor's ego to show his face on the screen (for dozens of people to watch, who promise "not to tell"). 

Don Z

John Byrne

Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 24 August 2019 at 10:14am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

The Andrew Garfield movies did much better, finding ways to show his expensive face without risking his secret identity.

Clearly influenced by the Challengers of the Unknown, Stan and Jack launched the FF as “public” heroes, their identities known by all. But it was decades before fan ennui and writer egos started to push into that whole “Well, I wouldn’t hide MY identity!” mentality. Hollywood, tho, pretty much left the gate in that mode.

Tyler Kloster
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 August 2019 at 3:22pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

BLOOD SIMPLE (1984)

Second time watching this since buying the Criterion Blu-Ray a few months back. Still holds up as a pretty amazing debut film for the Coens, probably in my top 3 of their films to this day.

They don't come any slimier than M. Emmet Walsh in BLOOD SIMPLE.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 August 2019 at 7:26pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I don't know about repeated viewings, but in terms of suspense I think Psycho kicks the absolute teats off any Tarantino film. In my book, the lippy one's reputation remains intact.

I watched Creed 2. I'm a Rocky fan (yes, pretty much of them all) and this had me cringing. What works is the family drama aspect between Adonis and the Tessa Thompson character. The fight (and even the training montage) beggared belief. Nicely done with the resolution of the fight by Dolph though. That was an apt ending.

Joe S. Walker
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2019 at 8:45am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

KLUTE (1971)

A good film, and an unusual one, with a sense of being on the cusp between the Sixties and Seventies - the story, with a basic theme of sexual repression, feels as if it belongs a few years earlier, but the treatment wouldn't have got past the censors then, in particular the use of language. (A tape recording of Jane Fonda's character saying "fuck" is a key element in the plot.)
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

<< Prev Page of 933 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |