Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Movies << Prev Page of 69 Next >>
Topic: What’s the last movie you saw in a theater? Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 January 2017 at 3:48pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

HIDDEN FIGURES

We enjoyed it although the director and writers forgot that a telephone call would result in a quicker response.
Back to Top profile | search | email

Ryan Maxwell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 January 2017 at 11:23am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

SPLIT - Really liked it and want a sequel.  Now. The ending was a jaw-dropper and I'm in for wherever this goes. 

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 February 2017 at 8:46pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

FIFTY SHADES DARKER.

Took Heidi for her Valentine's Day present today. I was underwhelmed with the first movie, but the sequel is a lot better. (It actually has a plot!)

If your significant other wants to drag you to it, don't be too upset. There's more sex and nudity than the first movie, and they get a bit kinkier. But its still too tame to be really controversial. 

Jamie Dornan's acting is better, but they still should have cast someone else.

Flavio Sapha
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 March 2017 at 8:41am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

JOHN WICK 2

AWESOME! A true heir to the PARKER novels! Even better than the
first one!

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 March 2017 at 10:39am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

HACKSAW RIDGE

Damn good movie. I give it 5 stars, easily. The only problem I have with it was Andrew Garfield being cast in the lead. Especially since they showed pictures of the real Desmond Doss at the end. Luke Pegler, who played "Hollywood", looks more like the real Doss than Garfield. 

Also, for a movie about American soldiers, its funny as hell that the majority of lead actors were all foreign. Vince Vaughn is the only American actor I can think of that had a major role. (Don't have an issue with all this. I just find it amusing.)

Flavio Sapha
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 March 2017 at 8:52pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

KONG: SKULL ISLAND

Kick-ass!!!

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 March 2017 at 3:17pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

LA-LA LAND

Well... that... wasn't much of a movie musical now, was it?

Back to Top profile | search

Eric Smearman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 March 2017 at 4:41pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

SPIT. Really liked it!

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 March 2017 at 9:41am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Get Out. 

I thought it was good enough, but I'm a little puzzled but just how positive the critical reaction has been (for example, 99% fresh on Rotten Tomatoes). It kind of does a few things fairly well without excelling at any of them: for a horror, it's not scary enough. For a comedy, it's not funny enough. For something intended to provoke thought, the sledgehammer final straight is too crass.

But, it did have enough for me to like it. Interesting score (especially over the opening titles), some depth, decent acting and it does have more than a few creepy bits.

There are some rather silly plot points in the mix though!

Edited by Peter Martin on 15 March 2017 at 9:42am

Jeremy Simington
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 March 2017 at 6:06pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

LION. As good as my wife & I had hoped. Moving (wrenching in places), visually beautiful, remarkable storytelling. Put on your must-see list.  We knew very little about the plot of the film and we agreed after we were glad we didn't know too much in advance.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 March 2017 at 8:12pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

KONG: SKULL ISLAND

Lots of fun, good-naturedly dopey in spots, and head & shoulders above the last Kong attempt in 2005.

Didier Yvon Paul Fayolle
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 March 2017 at 7:54pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Beauty and the Beast

Loved it!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2017 at 9:41am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

I saw Logan last night and liked some of it, but had issues with some aspects. I won't write more here, as I wrote a long post on the subject in the Logan thread.

Fabrice Renault
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2017 at 5:33pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

MAD MAX FURY ROAD BLACK & CHROME.
Still one of the best movie ever made in my opinion. The black & chrome aspect makes it even more compelling.

Craig Markley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 March 2017 at 9:23am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Beauty and the Beast

Good fun. Emma Watson was the weakest link of a good cast.

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member

L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 09 April 2017 at 6:28pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

CLUE (1985), thanks to the Cinemark Classics series; the movie may be frantic and uneven, but it remains a personal favorite.  It was great fun seeing it on the big screen!
Back to Top profile | search | www | email

Jozef Brandt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 April 2017 at 10:41pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

I just saw Tron (1982) in 70mm in Portland this weekend.  The print had the original 6-channel magnetic soundtrack and really looked and sounded amazing.  The Wendy Carlos soundtrack was really well-mixed in that version and the revival house in Portland that has the 70mm projector is also one of the few that can play the 6 channel magnetic soundtracks.

I'm not sure where the print is traveling next, but I wholly recommend it.  I have a deep, deep, love for the film that helps me to overlook its flaws.  Seeing it with the hipster crowd in Portland was interesting.  They weren't familiar with some of the 1980s computer terms that are used, and there was laughter at strange moments. 

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 April 2017 at 2:50am | IP Logged | 18 post reply

Kong: Skull Island

In French, of which I speak practically nil, but I was in France with noting to do.

Didn't understand a word that was said.
Understood exactly what was going on in the film.

Was that a good thing? I think so.

Tim O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 12 April 2017 at 8:37pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

I spent last weekend at the TCM Classic Film Festival and had a wonderful time.  I got to see a bunch of movies, some of which had some really interesting Q&As.  The fest's main theme was comedy, which was right up my alley.

A huge moment for me was getting to see one of my favorite movies of all time on the big screen - BROADCAST NEWS.  Ben Mankiewicz was scheduled to interview writer/director James L. Brooks.  That alone would have been fantastic, but it was a real treat when Albert Brooks joined unannounced.  Hilarious and insightful Q&A, discussing the state of news media then and now.

We also saw THE PRINCESS BRIDE (with Rob Reiner Q&A), THE CHINA SYNDROME (with Michael Douglas Q&A), WHAT'S UP DOC? (with Peter Bogdanovich Q&A) and HIGH ANXIETY (with Mel Brooks Q&A... well, he didn't really answer any of Mankiewicz's questions - he did more of a monologue for the capacity crowd at the historic Chinese Theater).  

I was thrilled to finally see REAR WINDOW on the big screen.  And I got to see a real gem called RAFTER ROMANCE with Ginger Rogers - a lost RKO comedy that was made just before Rogers' first teaming with Fred Astaire.

TCM also screened some nitrate prints, which was a real treat.  I saw BLACK NARCISSUS at the Egyptian Theater - the projection booth had to be refitted to meet fire codes to screen the nitrate prints.

A big highlight for me was seeing another favorite projected - Laurel and Hardy's THE MUSIC BOX.  Dick Cavett introduced the film and shared his insight and a great story about meeting Stan Laurel.  Cavett was also interviewed by Illeana Douglas in their "Club TCM" room at the Roosevelt Hotel - he shared some interesting and funny stories about Groucho Marx, Jack Benny, and a crazy night with Marlon Brando.

Tim O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 12 April 2017 at 8:49pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

This TCM fest screening wasn't in a theater, but do pools count?

TCM screened PLANET OF THE APES as part of their poolside screenings at the Roosevelt Hotel

Ben Mankiewicz interviewed Lou Wagner and none other than Dr. Zaius.  Actually it was comedian Dana Gould doing a hilarious turn in full Dr. Zaius costume and make-up.  He said that he is doing an upcoming one-ape stage show called ZAIUS WITH A "Z".  And he spent the 1970s as technical advisor on the TV show B.J. AND THE BEAR and the film EVERY WHICH WAY BUT LOOSE (which he described as "a prequel to ANY WHICH WAY YOU CAN", and I can't explain why I am still laughing at that joke).

Lou Wagner gave some actual insight into the movie.  He told a story about when the production crew forgot to bring straws to the remote location set, it caused a terrible problem.  The actors in ape costumes could not drink from cups because of the nature of their make-up.  They had no respite from the sweltering heat, made worse by their heavy costumes.  Charlton Heston hiked a full mile to the closest camp to get them straws so they could get some relief from the heat.  That's a really stand up thing to do for his fellow cast members.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 April 2017 at 1:29pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

Just got back from FATE OF THE FURIOUS. Two thumbs up, but I'm not dropping any spoilers except that the way it ended will most likely lead directly into the next movie, rather than a new mission for them starting up. And there's no reason to stick around once the end credits roll. There is no cutscene tacked on. 

ALL the trailers they showed prior to the movie looked good, which is rare. Usually there's either only one or two that look interesting, or there's one that stands out as a do not want to see. I can't remember the last time I went to a movie and wanted to see almost everything they showed previews for.

(The trailers for movies I want to see were for Baby Driver, Valerian, Transformers 5 (Megan Fox is back?), King Arthur: Legend of the Sword, Atomic Blonde, Detroit, and The Mummy. They also showed Baywatch, which I'm iffy on, because it has some gross out humor.)

Edited by Brian Floyd on 15 April 2017 at 9:12am

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 April 2017 at 1:19pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

GIFTED.

I continue to be impressed by Chris Evans. Not that this role is that much a stretch from Steve Rogers (except this character has seemingly been hunky all his adult life). He's intelligent, forthright, doesn't like bullies and doesn't back down from a fight if he feels he's in the right.

The rest of the cast is strong, too...working with a smart, funny, and touching script.

Worth seeing.

Edited by Brian Rhodes on 15 April 2017 at 1:21pm

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security

Robotmod

Posted: 16 April 2017 at 12:47am | IP Logged | 23 post reply

Have to agree with Mr. Floyd.  Saw THE FATE OF THE FURIOUS today and I loved it.  It's not the best film ever created.  It won't rock your world or make you look at life in a different way.  Hell, I may not remember the intricacies, such as they are, in a week but it was a roller coaster.  Exactly what I expect from this franchise.  You have to buy into what it is rather than expect something that it never, ever pretends to be.  If you can do that, you'll have a blast.  I know I did.

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member

L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 22 April 2017 at 12:52pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

THE LOST CITY OF Z. 

I didn't like it.  I was expecting an old-fashioned adventure, but this is more "Masterpiece Theater" than Allan Quatermain.  More of the film is set in England discussing exploration than actually exploring the Amazon, and the film's most energetic scene was a scholarly debate.

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 May 2017 at 1:09pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

KING ARTHUR: LEGEND OF THE SWORDENING

King Arthur In Name Only. The only elements taken from the proud body of literature and tradition are some names, and Arthur being raised in secret.

Worse than WARCRAFT. Boring as hell. The only entertaining part came because I read a review calling out Charlie Hunnam's mouthbreathing performance in the title role; there's a scene where the focus is on Hunnam panting for at least a minute and a half and I lost it with laughter.

What is it about King Arthur movies that makes them so terrible? Is it because they're public domain?

<< Prev Page of 69 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |