Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | TV << Prev Page of 108 Next >>
Topic: What disc did you have in last and... (TV Edition) Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 05 October 2017 at 12:23pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

However, I don't like the fact that Dent was exhibiting schizophrenic traits prior to becoming Two-Face. I much prefer the idea of the heroic D.A. being scarred in a courtroom - and going over the edge.

•••

Psychobabble -- emphasis on babble -- shoehorned into the character the same as it was with Bruce Banner.

Back to Top profile | search

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 October 2017 at 2:48pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

It was a bit of a distraction. I do like the series, but I wouldn't have done that.

Didn't like it with Banner, either. Sometimes, the simpler the origin, the better. I don't mind something being added, but I like the idea of a tragic doctor being caught in a gamma blast - which created such a monster. I hated how the 2003 film utilized that, too.

Returning to that BATMAN: TAS episode, I'm surprised he even became a DA. Prior to his accident, there were quite a few scenes with him acting like a loose cannon. Not a guy I'd want prosecuting cases!

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 October 2017 at 3:54pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

"30 ROCK: Season 2 [2007-08]"

I've been purposely avoiding reruns of 30 ROCK the last couple of years, so when I get the series it's as fresh as possible.

Been tough, don't know how much longer I can hold out.

John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 05 October 2017 at 4:59pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

THE VIETNAM WAR 1961-1963

Now we get to the parts that I actually remember. Chilling to get detailed background on those flickering images on my parents' TV.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 October 2017 at 6:24pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Watched "Heart of Ice", the BATMAN: TAS episode which featured Mr. Freeze (Season 1).

Wow! What did I just watch? It's near-perfect.

In twenty minutes, we get a Batman/Freeze battle - and flashbacks to Freeze's origin. 

Michael Ansara voices Freeze. And it's rather chilling (pun intended). Somehow his vocal talents give us a Freeze that is 99% unemotional/robotic, but 1% human. Yes, there's that little spark of humanity left in him.

The flashback scenes are tragic. If there's a word for an animated series episode that combines horror and superheroism, then it'd definitely apply here. Kudos to everyone involved here!

A quick Google reveals the episode won an Emmy for Outstanding Writing In An Animated Program.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 October 2017 at 7:08pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Dark Night of the Scarecrow [1981]

CBS TV movie from Oct. '81... one of my all-time "horror" favorites, though it's really more of a psychological thriller/mystery.

Wonderful cast (including Charles Durning, Larry Drake, Lane Smith and Jocelyn Brando), great atmospherics, eerie score, tautly directed... could have been pure early-'80s TV cheese, but ends-up being so much better than you would expect.

Made quite the impression on me back when I was only 9, and was extremely pleased when they finally released this on DVD about 5 or 6 years ago.  Now, it's been a semi-annual Halloween tradition in our household.

A great little gem, wholeheartedly recommended.

Edited by Shaun Barry on 06 October 2017 at 7:27pm

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 October 2017 at 3:10pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Started season 1 of JESSICA JONES.

It's very bleak. And I gather this'll be a slow-burner. There's something compelling about it, though (oh, okay, I confess, I have a crush on Krysten Ritter so my mileage for such bleakness will vary).

John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 08 October 2017 at 4:13pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Up to episode 4 of THE VIETNAM WAR. Starting to be aware of some heavy redundancies. One segment in this episode was a complete regurgitation of one from a previous episode, with maybe a minute of extra detail. Hope this does not persist.

Side reading while watching reminded me that when LBJ died, he was two years younger than I am now!

John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 09 October 2017 at 9:36am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Returning to SOAP after a few years.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 October 2017 at 2:01pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Never watched SOAP, but have watched soap operas.

Interestingly, if Quora is accurate:

QUOTE:
Among the first major sponsors of these serials were soap manufacturers Procter & Gamble, Colgate-Palmolive, and Lever Brothers. Eventually, due to the fact that so many of the sponsors were soap manufacturers, the media started calling these shows “soap operas”. Nifty!

Makes you wonder, what would we have called soap operas if someone other than soap manufacturers had sponsored them?

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 October 2017 at 9:21pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

The Night Stalker [1972]

Vampire thriller as detective story/crime procedural... pretty tame by today's standards (though it may have seemed a bit shocking for a TV movie back in '72), but it's the smart script, fun character bits and of course the wonderful lead performance from Darren McGavin that keeps me coming back!

Though too bad it only clocks-in at a scant 74 minutes!

Edited by Shaun Barry on 10 October 2017 at 9:21pm

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 October 2017 at 1:28pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Netflix has WHITECHAPEL on it. So I shall be watching that.

Anyone outside the UK seen it? The first season sees London detectives investigating a killer who is copying Jack the Ripper's crimes.

Steve Coates
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 October 2017 at 6:16pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Finally found it!
There is a scene I fondly remember which involves one of the lead characters tossing a coffee or water cup into a waste basket. The cup lands upright in the centre of the basket. The other two lead characters throw their cups and each falls within the preceding cup within the waste basket. The memory is quite old and is without any other details, but can not be from before April 23, 1969, when the episode was first aired. I would have been 8 years old. The scene is from episode 29 of "The Champions". It was a task finding the series, but worth it to confirm the source of the memory. I do recall wanting to see more, at the time, of the show, but without much success. Even from a young age my preference in entertainment was not shared with my siblings or parents, I hope someone here might remember it.

From the DVD:
Release Date: 25th September 1968
Creators:
Monty Berman & Dennis Spooner
Stars:
Stuart Damon...........Craig Stirling
Alexandra Bastedo...Sharron Macready
William Gaunt...........Richard Barrett
Anthony Nicholls......Cmdr. W.L. Tremayne
The ITC stable turned its hand to international espionage with a subtly super-powered slant with Monty Berman and Dennis Spooner's 1968-69 action-adventure series 'The Champions'.
The series’ simple yet effective premise involves secret agents Craig Stirling (Stuart Damon), Richard Barrett (William Gaunt), and Sharron Macready (the stunningly lovely Alexandra Bastedo), who suffer a fatal plane crash in the Himalayas whilst returning from a mission. Rescued by a mysterious Tibetan monk and endowed with special powers, the trio are then returned home where they put these abilities to work for their Geneva based organisation, Nemesis. These powers include super strength, telepathy, ESP and a heightening of their natural senses.
Their boss at Nemesis, Tremayne (Anthony Nicholls), is unaware of their new powers as he assigns them to a host of impossible missions. In spite of their new powers, the agents -the 'Champions of Law, Order and Justice'- are by no means invincible, needing to work very much as a team. Often tense, intelligently written scripts were complimented by warmly engaging performances from the central trio of actors. While imaginative direction (often from such luminaries as Sam Wanamaker, Freddie Francis and Roy Ward Baker), often succeeded in convincingly depicting the use of heightened abilities without the need for the lavish special effects budgets available to similar US shows.

Paul Gibney
Byrne Robotics Member.

Posted: 13 October 2017 at 6:59pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

I had fond memories of the show, Steve, so I bought the dvd's. I can't report the show held up very well. However, if you want to borrow the dvd's I can get them to you. I assume you will be at the Calgary Expo Holiday Market on November 25th and/or the 26th?

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 October 2017 at 8:25pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

"House of Lies" Season Two- I found the show and concept largely unlikeable in Season One, but the Kristen Bell of it all kept me watching and brought me back for round two. Now that Don Cheadle's Marty Kaan has stopped conducting sustained exposition beyond the fourth wall and just looks out at us every now and then in exasperation, the narrative flows a good deal better. Somehow, I just liked the whole thing better this time around. Looking forward to Season Three.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 13 October 2017 at 8:44pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

More SOAP.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 October 2017 at 12:08am | IP Logged | 17 post reply

I remember enjoying The Champions,it was repeated on a
Sunday lunchtime in the mid-70`s,i have since seen
episodes on obscure satellite channels,there is a lot of
`Back projection` and ropey studio sets to portray the
international jet-setting nature of the show on a 60`s
budget,but it`s still enjoyable.On a related
note,Alexandra Bastedo had a small part in Batman
Begins,at Bruce`s party at Wayne Manor,she was a regular
on the convention circuit raising money for her animal
sanctuary,sadly she died a couple of years ago.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 October 2017 at 7:06am | IP Logged | 18 post reply

Still watching JESSICA JONES. Very compelling - and David Tennant's Kilgrave may well be one of the best modern TV villains ever. 

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 October 2017 at 10:46pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

JB, where are you with SOAP? 
For whatever reason, any time I've been able to watch it through a streaming service, I get almost halfway through the run, and that service drops it. Haven't gotten the DVDs, and I hear the release in that format is not uncut, anyway(prints of 'edited for syndication' episodes).
I still say the scene where Benson disposes of Bob in the courtroom is the hardest I've ever laughed at a sitcom.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 October 2017 at 2:31am | IP Logged | 20 post reply

GIDGET (1965)

It's not quite as trendy and sophisticated as I hoped it might be (I was hoping for Buffy with surfing instead of slaying,) but it's good at what it is regardless. Usually far more grounded than what I associate with sitcom fare of the 60's, such as the Brady Bunch or Bewitched, it still veers into pratfalls and silliness the deeper I move into the season. What works is the relationship between Gidge and her dad, who is not a clueless bozo nor a stentorian proclaimer of great truths. He just gets his little girl, loves her, and is patient with her travails and moods. Gidget's no dummy, either, and hey, despite the mugging required sometimes, Sally Field can definitely act. I got all teary-eyed with one recent episode where she was being sent away to school, and it wasn't the first time the show sneaked under my emotional radar and sucker-punched me. Even the antagonists, her well-meaning but interfering sister and brother-in-law, are educated and uncartoonish. Most of the time. Again, it's still a sitcom, so... 

It is a bit sad seeing Peter Duell as the brother-in-law, knowing what's waiting not far off in his future, but I'm enjoying the show overall. Both thumbs and surf's up!

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 October 2017 at 6:48am | IP Logged | 21 post reply

I've been watching GIDGET lately on Antenna. It's hard to believe the show was only on for 1 season.

John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 16 October 2017 at 5:04pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

THE VIETNAM WAR, Part 8

My Lai and Kent State in a single episode covering just over one year.

James Best
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 October 2017 at 8:51pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

I have been on a bit of a Ken Burns run myself over the last two weeks, re-watching a couple of his older documentaries.

THE WAR (2007) - which I always find to be a very humbling experience when I watch it.

and

BASEBALL: The Tenth Inning (2010) - which always makes me wonder when Burns is going to have compiled enough material to put an "11th Inning" together.  

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 October 2017 at 4:17pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

About to start serial number 3 of SAPPHIRE AND STEEL (6 episodes).

I did enjoy the first two. Serial 1 saw a girl's parents "snatched" by time in an old house; and serial 2 saw Sapphire and Steel show up at a railway station where WWI soldiers' ghosts are intruding on the present.

I do wonder, why didn't these episodes have titles? Or why didn't the serials have titles?

It does mean, if discussing them with others, I have to say something like, "I'm watching the one set at a railway station." Episode titles would have made it easier!

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 October 2017 at 5:12pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

"...SAPPHIRE AND STEEL (6 episodes)."

I tried watching that series a couple of years ago, but couldn't get past the second episode.
Seemed to move excruciatingly slow to me. I thought maybe it must work better for British sensibilities, whatever that means.
How's the pacing for you Robbie?

<< Prev Page of 108 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |