Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | TV << Prev Page of 113
Topic: What disc did you have in last and... (TV Edition) Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 March 2018 at 10:53am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Now sampling the first season of HAP & LEONARD (Sundance TV) via Netflix.

I enjoy reading the novels by Joe R. Lansdale on which the series is based. The only book in the H&L series that I haven't read is "Savage Season" which happens to be the one that was adapted for the first season of the TV show.

I like the casting so far, and of course I am savoring the opportunity to watch Christina Hendricks onscreen :-)  Hopefully this first season will end well and make me want to check out the next one.
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 28 March 2018 at 4:10pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Starting back at the beginning of CALL THE MIDWIFE.

Richard White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 March 2018 at 4:12am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Hope you enjoy it James, had a blast with the first two seasons and I'm currently a couple of episodes into the third season.

I think the show captures the Southern Gothic mixed with levity feel of Lansdale's books.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 March 2018 at 4:15pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

John Byrne wrote:
Starting back at the beginning of CALL THE MIDWIFE.

Whilst I don't think it lends itself to binge-watching, I came late to this and did catch up. 

It all feels so credible and authentic. Very well made.

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 April 2018 at 11:27pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Been watching The Waltons of all things. It actually holds up pretty well but I never realized how formulaic the show was with its guest of the week format. 

James Best
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 April 2018 at 1:10pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Right now I am cherry-picking some of my favorite episodes of GOOD EATS with host Alton Brown, which ran for 14 seasons.

The show is still very enjoyable, and if I ever found the time to really learn how to cook I would certainly use it as a reference for both techniques and recipes.

Brown is supposedly going to bring the show back sometime in 2018 with most of the returning cast and crew, but I have not heard of the target date yet. 

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 April 2018 at 1:24pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

GOOD EATS is one of my favorite cooking shows, ever. My youngest and I like watching CUTTHROAT KITCHEN together. 

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 April 2018 at 10:42am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

My family and I have lately been getting a big kick out of MY CAT FROM HELL [2011-present] on Animal Planet.  Very informative, but hysterical, too!

Michael Arndt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 April 2018 at 5:35pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

First season of SOAP.

My wife has never seen it. She is enjoying it.   
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 April 2018 at 9:04pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Revisiting CALIFORNICATION. I believe that David Duchovny's Hank Moody shares with Michael J. Fox's Mike Flaherty and no one else the impressive distinction of having onscreen romances with both Paula Marshall and Carla Gugino. (At different times, of course.) 

Season Two plays around a lot with Gatsby references as obsessed, doomed man-children Hank and music producer Lou Ashsby (played by Keith Callum) hit on one another's Daisy's, played by the eerily similar Natasha McElhone and Madchen Amick. Nicely conceived and beautifully executed as the two women never meet and pass each other only once on a staircase in the season finale...

Onto Season Three with the maddeningly lovely Embeth Davidtz...

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 April 2018 at 10:53am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Okay, I'd kind of forgotten how blithe and inconsequential much of Season Three was. For the first half of the season, Hank is glib and very little else. His daughter's become a surly, petulant hellchild overnight, as kids do, and that's providing some grist for the mill at least. Meanwhile, there is a LOT of fast-forwarding through the scenes with Runkle and Marcie. Their storyline is nothing but yuck this year. Hopefully, things will improve now that Natasha McElhone has returned as a regular character... 

John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 08 April 2018 at 11:05am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

SOAP holds up very well. Hard to believe it was so scandalous in its day.

I'd love to the the unaired pilot, glimpses of which appeared in the ads for the first season.

John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 08 April 2018 at 3:12pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

WESTWORLD (S1E1)

Wondered if time might have healed some wounds. Nope.

Still makes no sense that the robots would be acting out such elaborate backstories when there are no humans to see them.

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 April 2018 at 9:18pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Iíve recently watched the whole of the first season of WESTWORLD.
That particular point is addressed and is VERY relevant to the whole story.
Plot wise, I thought it was very good.
I am again insensed at the level of nudity in TV shows. Just once, Iíd like to see a mature plot driven TV show that doesnít go for full frontal nudity practically every episode.

James Best
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 April 2018 at 8:22pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Just caught "Journey To Babel" from the second season of STAR TREK: TOS.

It was certainly enjoyable to watch, as I had never seen the episode all the way through before and really liked the banter between Kirk, Spock, and McCoy.

Looks like I need to search for some other episodes from season 2 that I might have missed :-) 

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 April 2018 at 9:02pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

I caught a back-to-back broadcast recently of The Ultimate Computer and Bread and Circuses.

The Ultimate Computer is really very good through and through, and better than I remembered. In my recollected impression, I had something of a beef with Daystrom's compulsions but, on this viewing at least, it all added up. Good stuff.

Bread and Circuses is harder to swallow, but I still quite enjoyed the episode. Season 2 leant a bit too heavily on those planets that conveniently allowed them to use the period sets and costumes on hand, but there's enough quality in the Kirk, Spock, McCoy triumverate to win through (just).

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 April 2018 at 7:57am | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Bouncing and bobbling about at random through the seasons of WKRP IN CINCINATTI, buffeted to and fro by the comforting and compelling presence of Loni Anderson's exquisitely crafted Jennifer Marlowe. There is a well-imagined, well-structured television presence if ever there was one. A wonder to behold. 

Of course, it helps that pretty much everyone else onscreen is perfect as well. It's amazing how nicely she holds up. The show, I mean. 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 113
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |