Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | TV << Prev Page of 65 Next >>
Topic: Speaking of video games... Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2010 at 1:42pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Dragon Age is balls hard on PC but very satisfying once you get past the opening act and roam the land with your party.

I generally play everything on Normal and if its a sequel or has a familiar gameplay mechanic I bump it up to hard.

If anyone is interested in co-oping Borderlands, I haven't even finished the core game yet, I am still at level 18 or something-Bought copies for the boy and I and he, being an xbox fiend, doesn't like mouse and keyboard leaving me to play all alone.

RT
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Tim Farnsworth
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2010 at 2:56pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Matt Reed wrote:
I only go to them when I'm stuck and have spent considerable amounts of time trying to figure a problem out by myself.  Some people use them as they go through a game regardless of whether or not they actually need them.

One of my brothers friends pretty much always hunts down the GOD-mode cheats the instant he get a new game, and it weirds me the hell out. The designers do all this work to make the game challenging in just the right places and satisfying when you earn rewards...and he just wants to run roughshod over that?

I'm tempted to psychoanalyze it and say, "Ah, he's got a low self-esteem or a chaotic life and, as sad as it is, this game is one part of his life where he can be in total control." Or maybe, "He's a straightlaced dude most of the time, but cheating at video games is where he can let go and be a bad boy." But I don't know the guy that well. He just weirds me out from afar.

One of the newer quirks of video games to pscyhoanalyze is the advent of achievements - most of which have no tangible results, but have created a generation of "achievement whores." I never quite got it, so I've got a low count on my 360. I do like it when I get the little "BLIP!" of achievement, but I don't seek them. 

Back to Top profile | search

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2010 at 3:02pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

What class are you playing Borderlands as, Robin?

I've tried fighting General Knoxx several times now. I'm packing a x2 corrosive SMG that holds 46 rounds and a corrosive shotgun (I forget the x on the shotty, but I try to only use it on Devastators that show up and not on Knoxx himself) that holds 9, with corrosive bouncing bettie grenades and a fairly decent Assassin class mod (which I switch out for the Hunter mod if he summons troops). The shield I've got is something like 1675 strength but with a recharge close to 300.

So far I've tried two different strategies: blatantly standing out in the open shooting at him then dodging for cover when he shoots, and the `suicide' method, which is standing right up close to him (he can't shoot at you without using the jump attack first) and shooting at his head. And I can't get him beat. One time I did the suicide method and came fairly close to beating him, but he ended up summoning a Badass Devastator and I couldn't kill it (or him) in time because part of Knoxx was blocking my way so I couldn't shoot the Devastator. I'd say I needed to put about 3 more clips of smg ammo into Knoxx to kill him that time.

Funny thing; I've attempted to take out Knoxx about 7 times now, and only once has he summoned combat medics. The time I almost beat him he didn't summon anything at all until he was at around 20% health left.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Leach
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2010 at 3:09pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I think it was Ben Franklin who said, "It's not cheating if the game lets you do it!" ;^)

Seriously, I usually don't use any cheats until I've finished the game and I'm doing a re-play, but I do have some friends who use the codes, and that's their philosophy:  If the creators didn't want them to cheat, they wouldn't put the codes in the game. 

And I usually like to start on the hardest setting, as well, makes the game more fun and last longer.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member

L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 31 July 2010 at 3:30pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Let's not forget the immortal words of W.C. Fields -- "Anything worth having is worth cheating for".

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2010 at 11:10pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Well, I finally managed to beat Knoxx. I had the weapons and gear setup I mentioned earlier but managed to get my hands on a Double Anarchy and added it, so I was using 2 smgs and a shotgun. I held off on using the DA until he was pretty much near dead then poured it on.

However, I decided to take advantage of the armory glitch. I opened every single chest I could find (and sadly, no class mods better than what I already had or ANY Pearlescent weapons. I ended up taking only 3 or 4 items out of all those cases!

I think I'm screwed, though; somehow I walked through a door that wasn't there (obvious door, no option to open it and somehow I went through it like it wasn't even there) and have off a short ledge that was just too high to jump back up on, so I had to log out after finding no way out. I've heard that if you log out while you're in the armory, you get locked out of being able to go back in to actually do the mission.

Drove back and Knoxx was back up (complete with his intro cutscene), but I didn't feel like fighting him again so I logged off. I may go try and fight Crawmerax before I take another shot at Knoxx again. (One of those weapons I picked up in the Armory is a better shotgun than what I had when I took Knoxx down, though; does more dmg and has better accuracy but holds 2 less rounds of ammo)

Glenn Brenner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2010 at 5:09am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Brian,

You don't get screwed if you just log out while in the armory. Logging out is the only way to get out if you do the armory glitch. The quest gets messed up when you walk into a certain part of the armory and the 'Steal Loot' part of the quest gets checked off as completed. There is no way to fix this in the game itself, by yourself, until Gearbox applies a fix to it, but if you know someone you can co-op with who hasn't done this mission, you can fix it by jumping into their game and completing the quest with them.

You can read it about it here:

http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=99353

Edited by Glenn Brenner on 01 August 2010 at 5:13am

Kevin Hagerman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2010 at 7:23am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I'm currently cheating in Dragon Age because I am loving the story and hating the fights!

Robin Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2010 at 9:18am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Right now I am playing as the solider-when I beat it I will probably go again as the tank or the sniper-I hate that the enemies respawn after you clear an area

RT

Dwayne Gassmann
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 August 2010 at 3:09pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I hate that the enemies respawn after you clear an area.

After a while I would just run past everything, especially after I just got through a boss battle.

Finished SW:Force Unleashed. Seemed kind of short, but I haven't gone through the levels on the extra disc. My son and I were playing Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 and it got me interested in the game. Thought I'd give it a go round. 

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 August 2010 at 4:05pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 I thought was too short and the ending kind of stinks. I have the PS2 version and it kind of got the short end of the stick as far as exclusive characters. Hated that they got rid of alternate costumes, too.

Edited by Brian Floyd on 03 August 2010 at 4:06pm

Tim Farnsworth
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 August 2010 at 5:46pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Dwayne Gassmann wrote:
Finished SW:Force Unleashed.

I had such a good time with that game. And not wholly because of the gameplay, which sometimes was a bit frustrating when the difficulty level would suddenly amp up

No, what I loved was the story. In my opinion it's the best story to come out of the Star Wars mythos since the original trilogy. I'd almost forgotten what it was like to really like Star Wars characters the way I did Luke, Han and Leia, but I really liked Starkiller, Juno and Proxy. And the bad guys felt really menacing and evil. I confess, I got a little choked up when John Williams' music swelled during the finale of the heroic ending.

I even made my brother sit down one day and just watch all the cut scenes so he could get the story without having to play the game. 

Robin Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 August 2010 at 10:01pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Force Unleashed is a lot like Singularity or Alpha Protocol in that the mechanics are poor or broken but the story makes the experience worthwhile. In fact, its the best story outside of the original trilogy aside from maybe the Zahn books.

The multiple endings are pretty sweet especially as they allow for alternate versions of canon in the DLC.

RT

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 August 2010 at 11:26pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Robin, I first tried playing Badlands as a Soldier but decided I didn't like it and deleted the character. I have a Siren I got to level 10 and a Berserker I got to 25, but ended up liking the Hunter a lot more. Once I'm done with the Hunter, I'm either going to play the Siren or try a Soldier again.

Berserking is pretty powerful once you get artifacts that can affect the damage type, but Berserkers specialize in using grenades and rocket launchers, which I don't like. Its too easy to run out of grenades a lot, rocket launchers stink in 9 out of 10 situations, and I try to avoid melee combat whenever I can.

And it looks like there's going to be a 4th DLC, but I don't know what or when.

Dwayne Gassmann
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 August 2010 at 8:52am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Here is a link describing the new DLC for Borderlands. Sounds like a deal to me. 

There is also a rumor that Gearbox is taking over the development of Duke Nukem Forever, which was shelved in '09 when 3D Realms folded. Kind of mixed on this, but the original was so much fun for me that I'll keep an eye out for it. Story also says that a demo may be out by the end of the year. Hmmm...

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security

Robotmod

Posted: 15 August 2010 at 9:59am | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Finished SINGULARITY.  Really great, engrossing story.  Loved the characters.  Some of the gameplay was a little wonky in spots, particularly in some boss and mini-boss battles, but overall a really fun game.  Time to look for another new title. 

Michael Tortorice
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 August 2010 at 3:14pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Bought SW: The Force Unleashed Friday. Sold it yesterday. Maybe the story makes it all worthwhile, but I couldn't get past the mechanics. Hated every minute of actual gameplay so much that I didn't care that there was a story.

So I will do the driving thing with Forza 3. It has an in-cockpit view that is simply awesome.

But not nearly as awesome as the woman that sold it to me. Unfortunately, she's a smoker, which is an automatic disqualification (I'm deathly allergic). Such a shame because she is awesome beyond words, and I'm seriously thinking about whether or not its worth it to suffer for the awesomeness.

Glenn Brenner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 August 2010 at 3:39pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

I have the SW: Force Unleashed Sith edition. It's pretty cool, but I shelved it in favor Bioshock 2 at the time.

I started playing Dragon Age, again and this time, I flippin' LOVE it. I don't no what's gotten into me, but I couldn't get into this game the first time around, but now I can't stop playing it. Yeah, the fighting could be a lot better, but the story is fantastic.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 August 2010 at 6:10pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

Dwayne, Duke Nukem Forever was in development for so long before 3D Realms folded, I doubt if most people even care if it actually gets made by now. If Gearbox has indeed taken it over and don't deliver on the demo when they say they will, the game might as well be toast.

I'm taking a break from Borderlands. I still haven't been able to beat Crawmerax, so I figure I need to do another armory run or two, and I'm just not in the mood to fight General Knoxx again. Frankly, I'm wondering if I should just go online and find a group for Crawmerax and hope the others don't get greedy and loot everything he drops. (I watched a walkthrough video of someone soloing Crawmerax where they went to a spot that's supposed to be safe from attacks, but its not working out that way when I try it; I've been knocked off the ledge to my death a few times doing that)

So I'm spending the time I'd be playing Borderlands on playing Champions Online instead.

Edited by Brian Floyd on 15 August 2010 at 6:10pm

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security

Robotmod

Posted: 18 August 2010 at 8:09am | IP Logged | 20 post reply

So I picked up WOLFENSTEIN yesterday.  I have fond memories of playing the original many moons ago, the only PC based game I've ever really enjoyed.  Now updated and on PS3, it's not bad.  I've just barely scratched the surface.  Raven and id did the bulk of the work on it, as they did with SINGULARITY, so you can tell some of the mechanics are the same.  Fun story so far.  Good cut away scenes and voice acting.  Like I told you guys, I've got it cranked up to 11 as far as difficulty and so far nothing I can't handle.  I'll let y'all know how it shapes up the farther I get in the game.

Emery Calame
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 August 2010 at 9:38pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

Well, according to Amazon, my Metroid:Other M preorder has been delayed seven days to Aug. 31. That sucks. I was going to use the $20 credit from it on Halo: Reach.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security

Robotmod

Posted: 24 August 2010 at 7:58am | IP Logged | 22 post reply

Been playing WOLFENSTEIN for a week now.  Pretty fun game.  There's nothing revolutionary about it, but the story is nifty, the graphics are good, and the gameplay by Raven isn't nearly as wonky as that of their work on SINGULARITY.  I can't imagine playing this on normal mode though.  Maybe it's just me, but cranked up to 11 it's still fairly easy to dispatch the Nazi's and Bosses that I've encountered.  All in all, for a game I was hesitant to buy because I have such fond memories of the original, it's been worth it.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security

Robotmod

Posted: 24 August 2010 at 8:08am | IP Logged | 23 post reply

Thinking about it, I'm going to sticky this thread.  Seems there's enough interest from the board in the discussion.  Should it ever go a long time without discussion or just a few random posts over several months, then I'll revert it back to a normal topic. 

David Ferguson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2010 at 6:29am | IP Logged | 24 post reply

Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 I thought was too short and the ending kind of stinks. I have the PS2 version and it kind of got the short end of the stick as far as exclusive characters.

Did you splash out on the extra characters like Juggernaut or the extra missions? Wondering if it's worth it.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security

Robotmod

Posted: 25 August 2010 at 10:09am | IP Logged | 25 post reply

What does "splash out" mean, David?  Never heard that one before.

<< Prev Page of 65 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |