Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | TV << Prev Page of 64 Next >>
Topic: Speaking of video games... Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2010 at 4:12pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

It means spending money freely or extravagantly on something. Usually on something nice for yourself.

It's a British expression.

Edited by David Ferguson on 25 August 2010 at 4:12pm
Back to Top profile | search

Dwayne Gassmann
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2010 at 8:46pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I saw something about Torchlight 2 coming next year (multiplayer is the big upgrade) and remembered that I got sidetracked from finishing the first one. So I am back into it again. Sort of a Diablo rip off, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Emery Calame
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2010 at 8:49pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Torchlight is Diablo meets Fate with vaguely World of Warcraft looking characters. I thought it was pretty good.

It may be coming to PSN and Xbox-live Arcade by this fall.

Anyone who wants a 2nd Wii controller on sale, Target (in the US) has a Wiimote with Wii Motion + included for $29.99. That's a $15-20 savings. It's good until the 28th.
Back to Top profile | search | email

Kevin Hagerman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2010 at 9:46pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I found Torchlight very enjoyable and nicely -priced.

Glenn Brenner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 August 2010 at 4:05am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Anyone pick up Mafia 2, yet? It came out on Tuesday. Reviews have been very good so far. I'm picking up my copy today. 

Robin Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 August 2010 at 10:06am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Torchlight is a fantastic laptop game-the dungeons are randomly generated so it constantly changes

RT
Back to Top profile | search | www | email

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security

Robotmod

Posted: 26 August 2010 at 10:23am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Never played the original Mafia.  What's the premise?  Are the individual campaigns fun, or is it better as a multiplayer game? 

Eric Morin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 August 2010 at 4:34pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I am playing Toy Story 3 toy box mode with my 5 1/2 year old daughter.  There all so few Xbox 360 games that I am willing to let her play at this age.  This one is a lot of fun.

Dwayne Gassmann
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 August 2010 at 9:40am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Anybody try Splinter Cell: Conviction? Best Buy has the Xbox 360 version on sale for $20 and was wondering if it is worth it?

Ryan Maxwell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 August 2010 at 9:52am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

For me, Mafia is something you play around a campfire.

Robin Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 August 2010 at 3:23pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Splinter Cell: Conviction is a massive (and conversely short) detour from the SC formula but is a great game. It plays a lot like Arkham Asylum and essentially makes the player into the ultimate predator emobodied by Sam Fisher. It ties up some of the wasted back story chucked by Double Agent and layers the conspiracy stuff on thick. Lots of fun and I am always looking for a co-op partner on Xbox Live

RT

Glenn Brenner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 August 2010 at 6:40am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Matt,

Mafia II is a sandbox game, like GTA, that takes place in Empire Bay (New York) in the 1940's. It's about the son of Sicilian immigrants that, after returning from the war on leave, goes AWOL and decides to embark on a life of crime.

I just started playing it. The graphics are gorgeous, and the game play is typical of most sandbox games of late. I pre-ordered my copy from Gamestop and got a code for the free DLC 'The Betrayal of Jimmy' that is exclusive to the PS3. There is no multiplayer, it's a straight up one player campaign.

Edited by Glenn Brenner on 28 August 2010 at 6:42am

Glenn Brenner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 August 2010 at 6:41am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

I thought Splinter Cell: Conviction was fantastic, but way too short. Definitely worth picking up. 

William Roberge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 August 2010 at 6:49am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

I Just picked up Lego Harry Potter.......Let the fun begin!

Glenn Brenner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 August 2010 at 9:32am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

I don't mean to derail this thread, but I don't feel this question merits it's own thread really. In the last couple of years, I find myself spending more time & money on video games then I do on comics. I used to spend hours reading comics a week, now I read maybe 3 comics month. I still love comics, but I just can't find anything that interests me right now. For me, the stories that are being told in games are much more engrossing and entertaining than what the bigger comic publishers are putting out. For me, Alan Wake, Red Dead Redemption, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, etc are good examples of this.

Now I find myself hitting up Gamestop more times a month, than I do my LCS in a year. Has anyone else made this shift? 

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security

Robotmod

Posted: 28 August 2010 at 10:46am | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Thanks, Glenn!  Sounds right up my alley, so I expect I'll be picking it up soon.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security

Robotmod

Posted: 29 August 2010 at 2:55pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Anyone here use GameFly?  I just bought my first used PS3 game from them.  I'd been waffling between Tiger Woods 2010 and 2011.  After reading reviews of both, players overwhelmingly enjoyed 2010 over 2011.  Now try finding it in a store!  After a fruitless search, I stumbled upon GameFly via Google who is selling it used for $14.99 compared to $59.99 new on Amazon.  I'm always hesitant about buying used, especially from an unknown seller, but the $45 difference was enough for me to take the risk.

Glenn Brenner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 August 2010 at 5:20pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

Matt,

I've bee renting games from GameFly for the last month or so. I love it. I've saved a lot of cash on games I wanted to play, but I didn't really want to spend a lot on.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 August 2010 at 1:05pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

If anyone has been thinking of trying out Champions Online, take a look at this:

http://champions-online.com/play_free

It will let you sign up and download the game right now, because due to the game's 1st anniversary they are letting anyone play free the full game from the 1st until fairly early on the 7th. (Normally, you can only play the demo or through a referral for free; the demo only lets you do the tutorial, while a referral lets you play for 15 days, but with limits that this free play won't have)

*edit* I can do referrals if anyone would like to try the game but either don't have time to do it during the free play and would like to try later or would rather do a referral for the extra playing time.

Edited by Brian Floyd on 30 August 2010 at 1:07pm

Dwayne Gassmann
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 September 2010 at 3:53pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

Here are a few pics of the sequel to Batman: Arkham Asylum, Arkham City.

I've had Asylum on the "to play" pile for a while. This might be the next game I get into. But that may get interrupted when the new DLC comes out for Borderlands.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security

Robotmod

Posted: 02 September 2010 at 7:55pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

Loved, loved, loved ARKHAM ASYLUM.  Fantastic game start to finish.  Highly recommended.  Really looking forward to the sequel.  Hope it lives up to or surpasses the original!

Eric Morin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 September 2010 at 10:13am | IP Logged | 22 post reply

I just started the highly rated Bioshock and it sure moves slow in the beginning.  I hope it gets better soon.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security

Robotmod

Posted: 03 September 2010 at 11:54am | IP Logged | 23 post reply

So I picked up MAFIA II this week.  Not bad.  Some of the camera angles are a little wonky as is the shooter game play, but I enjoy the massive, richly detailed environment although I wish I could enter more places than just the ones where I can buy stuff.  I find that lacking in the GTA games as well. 

To the game itself, I'm at a part where, quite frankly, I could do without.  Your character inevitably gets arrested and sent to jail.  There, you learn boxing moves.  Personally, I hate fighting games.  Never liked them, but now I'm forced to box an opponent in order to progress in the game.  Blech.  I'm only hoping this is a short interlude after which I'm released from jail and can go back to Empire City.  We'll see. Holding off final judgement of the game until I get deeper into it.

Emery Calame
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 September 2010 at 5:18pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

Spider-Man Shattered Dimensions is coming out tomorrow. (Tues. Sept 7) It has four different Spider-Men trying to preserve reality with the help of Madame Web after a battle with Mysterio goes horribly wrong.

One of them is Spider-Man Noir who is a sort of 1930's pulp version of Spider-Man. It also has the more normal "Amazing" Spider-Man, an "ultimate" Spider-Man who uses the symbiont alien suit, and Spider-Man 2099. Supposedly gameplay will be quite different for each Spider-Man. Noir focuses on stealth, Amazing focuses on webbing tricks, etc.

Gameinformer gave it an 8.5/10

Edited by Emery Calame on 06 September 2010 at 5:19pm

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security

Robotmod

Posted: 06 September 2010 at 6:03pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

Looks good to me.  If it's anything like the last Spider-Man game, it should be pretty fun.

<< Prev Page of 64 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |