Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 6 Next >>
Topic: Darwyn Cooke Sums Up Modern Superhero Comics (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 September 2010 at 4:18pm | IP Logged | 1  

QUOTE:
"A ton of guys who do super violent, adult books complaining about no books are made for kids. Odd trend. Me? I just go make a book for kids."

I don't know if he's referring to Darwyn specifically but it's an interesting point, I think.

Only really interesting if those guys were producing super-violent superhero comic books. And monthlies at that.

Robert Kirkman does it, with INVINCIBLE, but he has never written that book for kids, or made the pretense of caring about "reaching" children or teenagers by allowing the slathering of the Superman or Spider-Man logo on clothing for kids, school supplies, lunchboxes, whatever. Then producing horrifically-told superhero comics with wall-to-wall violence and adult themes.

As far as it goes, concerning the lesbian thing, the Big Two either turn the character gay or they switch genders. It's the writers saying they haven't a clue how to make the characters interesting, since they're mostly failed Hollywood hacks who think they're writing vehicles for mid-1970s Robert DeNiro to star in. If the Big Two can't outright kill a character, perhaps due to entropy among the fan base, they pull the gay card or the gender card.

Back to Top profile | search

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 September 2010 at 4:18pm | IP Logged | 2  

Ed Brubaker just busted out a new female Beetle villain character in CAPTAIN AMERICA. I love the Beetle, who became Mach-1 in the original THUNDERBOLTS. But again, you could argue at least that Brubaker feels like his Bucky-Cap needs his "own" villains, and is trying to balance nostalgia with the "demands" of his audience. He brought back Iron Hand Hauptmann, by the way, which was fantastic.

But frankly turning the Beetle into a woman made the character visually wrong. The Beetle, as a man, was at least somewhat visually "understood" as the creature he's named after. You can see the influence of a beetle-design in the costume, even the coolest one But the Beetle as a female, designed by Butch Guice, went with a sleek form-fitting deal, sexy and so on, with little thin flying wings and such. It looks like an armored Wasp character, not the Beetle. Love Guice, love the attempt, but the immediate reaction I had was surprise, because I didn't see a "beetle", I saw a sexy woman with wasp wings and stinger-blasts, which evoked another character.

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 02 September 2010 at 4:18pm | IP Logged | 3  

I agree with Cooke. It's a shame when someone talks about super-heroes being for kids of all ages they get bashed. How about caring enough for the genre that you want it to thrive for future generations of children of all ages?

Saying that Frank Miller's All Star Batman and Robin was inteded as satire is like Tommy Wiseau saying his film THE ROOM was intentionally funny. I call B to the S.

Jani Evinen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 September 2010 at 4:33pm | IP Logged | 4  

I quite like the new Batwoman stories. I wish they would have named her something else(her civilian identity), but I did enjoy that Detective Comics run. Otherwise I agree with the stuff Darwyn Cooke says.

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 September 2010 at 4:56pm | IP Logged | 5  

The newest attempt by DC Comics to cash in on the "next generation" ie the sons/daughters of the 1990s generation. All the lazy tropes are here: heat vision vampire eyes, hip jacket, shirt untucked, no glasses, defused iconic presence, bland art and coloring. A veritible smorgasbord of Wrong for the flagship character of a publishing company AND one of the five most recognizable symbols in the world.

Jani Evinen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 September 2010 at 5:38pm | IP Logged | 6  

Chad

I like Shane Davis art, but to be honest we don't know if there's any drastic changes like Clark not wearing glasses in that "Earth One" Series. I believe the book starts with a 21 year old Clark just moving to Metropolis trying to figure out what to do. But yeah I  would have prefered a different cover, but I guess they are showing that it is different. I will  wait to read some reviews before I make i decision to check it out. 

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 September 2010 at 6:15pm | IP Logged | 7  

I bought those issues of DETECTIVE COMICS for the Question
stories in the back. I would have liked to see Cully Hamner's work
given top billing.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 September 2010 at 6:42pm | IP Logged | 8  

Shane Davis put a big ass crack right in the middle of the Super Symbol. That's all I can say about his art, right now.

Trevor Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 September 2010 at 6:46pm | IP Logged | 9  

"I think deep down, Darwyn sees the long-underwear types as
strictly for kids."

And he'd be right - real kids, and kids at heart - those
that can just let go and embrace the genre and it's
conventions.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Adam Hutchinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 September 2010 at 6:47pm | IP Logged | 10  

Wow, touched a nerve with Chad. ;)

Again that cover's not good, but in general Shane Davis is a pretty good artist. Plus what's the saying about a judging books? ;)

Martin Redmond
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 September 2010 at 6:54pm | IP Logged | 11  

Oh god, I can almost hear the Smallville TV theme playing in the background.

Bill Cox
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 September 2010 at 7:03pm | IP Logged | 12  

In an interview, he said how he had pitched a Wonder Woman title that would be for a more general audience, and geared towards reaching young girls. He said how the DC management could not care less about that project.

Now that would be something I would encourage my daughters to read (and me too!).

Did anyone catch Ben Caldwell's Wonder Woman strip in last summer's Wednesday Comics? That was an enjoyable series that my girls really liked!

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version