Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 38 Next >>
Topic: "Marvel Comics, The Untold Story" Locked Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 October 2012 at 6:37am | IP Logged | 1  

'overpopulation on the planet MALTUS'? Ugh.

"The Negron Complex"

Back to Top profile | search

David Plunkert
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 October 2012 at 6:44am | IP Logged | 2  

The GL/GA scene with the old man reads even stranger if you stop and consider how many minorities were represented in the pages of DC at the time. Denny would have been more accurate to address the editors at DC directly with that question instead of taking it out on GL.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 October 2012 at 8:43am | IP Logged | 3  

I got the book at the shop today with my shipment. I hope to check it out this weekend.
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 09 October 2012 at 8:52am | IP Logged | 4  

The GL/GA scene with the old man reads even stranger if you stop and consider how many minorities were represented in the pages of DC at the time. Denny would have been more accurate to address the editors at DC directly with that question instead of taking it out on GL.

••

Ultimately it comes down to context. Green Lantern is a cop, basically. And not a local cop. He has a wide area to police.

The scene here is much akin to confronting a surgeon and saying "Sure, you have performed many operations and saved maybe hundreds of lives -- but how many fires have you put out? How many murderers have you arrested?"

David Plunkert
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 October 2012 at 9:52am | IP Logged | 5  

John Byrne said: The scene here is much akin to confronting a surgeon and saying "Sure, you have performed many operations and saved maybe hundreds of lives -- but how many fires have you put out? How many murderers have you arrested?"

iii

Yep....I would agree that's the central flaw with that scene.
I'd also add that its like accusing that same surgeon who performs life saving operations on every race they encounter of racism to boot.

Daniel Gillotte
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 October 2012 at 11:22am | IP Logged | 6  

Bur can we all agree that Neal Adams drew the HELL out of that guy's head! Wow. That drawing blows me away.
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 09 October 2012 at 11:36am | IP Logged | 7  

Bur can we all agree that Neal Adams drew the HELL out of that guy's head! Wow. That drawing blows me away.

••

Neal uses a lot of photo reference, and nowhere is it put to better use than in shots like that!

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 October 2012 at 12:02pm | IP Logged | 8  

Any story that draws attention to the fact that superheroes are not solving the great problems of the world (war, disease, famine, poverty) is going to end up making the heroes look like assholes, because there is no credible reason why they wouldn't try to solve those problems.  We all know the real reason is because a conceit of the superhero genre is that the heroes live in the real world, and it would no longer be "the real world" if those problems were solved.  Since our heroes cannot provide that as their explanation, they are left stammering ineffectually like poor old Green Lantern, or taking a "mankind has to solve its own problems without depending on us" stance that makes them look heartless.  It's far better to ignore the issue, as comics did for years prior to the relevancy era.    

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 October 2012 at 12:32pm | IP Logged | 9  

"I'd also add that its like accusing that same surgeon who performs life saving operations on every race they encounter of racism to boot."

So a doctor who goes about doing his job (working on patients of any color) CAN"T be racist as well?

Racists go about their business every minute of everyday talking to, doing business with and very often being nice to the very same types of people they hate.  

It doesn't make them less racist or not racist at all.  It just means they keep their thoughts, feelings and opinions to themselves as they go about their lives.

And I think Jason's comment is spot on.  Fictional superheroes and the problems of the real world mesh poorly together.  If there was a real, living being with the powers and abilities of Superman flying around and he is known to be a stand up person, with a strong moral center and the will to do the right thing for mankind wouldn't you EXPECT him to stop something like this?

Edited by David Allen Perrin on 09 October 2012 at 12:33pm

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 09 October 2012 at 12:55pm | IP Logged | 10  

"I'd also add that its like accusing that same surgeon who performs life saving operations on every race they encounter of racism to boot."

So a doctor who goes about doing his job (working on patients of any color) CAN"T be racist as well?

••

Oh for Chrissake! READ WHAT HE WROTE.

David Plunkert
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 October 2012 at 12:57pm | IP Logged | 11  

David Allan Perrin said: So a doctor who goes about doing his job (working on patients of any color) CAN"T be racist as well?

Racists go about their business every minute of everyday talking to, doing business with and very often being nice to the very same types of people they hate. 

iii

Of course its possible...but lacking evidence.... a baseless accusation.

John OConnor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 October 2012 at 1:10pm | IP Logged | 12  

Bought the book today. So, far, 128 pages on...it's... OK. Most if it I've read before, but a few interesting tidbits. 

<< Prev Page of 38 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |