Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Star Trek << Prev Page of 202 Next >>
Topic: STAR TREK: NEW VISIONS - Origins and Updates Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 October 2017 at 7:31am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

@Scott, I too managed to get the Humble Bundle Gorn story at the time it was released. I was worried that they wouldn't ship it to the UK, but no, it arrived in perfect nick. Was well pleased with that.

The thought of having JB write words that William Shatner might actually act out for real boggles my mind. I am down to buying essentially three areas of comics right now - Star Wars, Simonson's Ragnarok and Star Trek New Visions. JB, as I have said many times in this forum, really nails the characters - not just their words, but their cadence and body language as well. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 12 October 2017 at 7:41am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

The thought of having JB write words that William Shatner might actually act out for real boggles my mind.

Altho I did not get to meet him (this time), I did find out from Shatner's rep at the NYCC that he has read NEW VISIONS and likes it.

Step one!

Back to Top profile | search

John Kirk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 October 2017 at 8:21am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

That's very cool and it must give you a sense of validation.

Luke Styer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 October 2017 at 10:09am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

John Byrne wrote:
I fear at least some of them would end up on eBay with high price tags attached.
Just autograph and personalize the covers. "To Luke," to give a not-at-all self-serving example. It ruins the resale value, but adds sentimenal value for the "true fan."

John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 12 October 2017 at 10:36am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Reminds me again of my "plan" to seek out autographs of historical fugures that were personalized to "John". I'd hang them around my house and pretend I was Jason Blood!

Luke Styer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 October 2017 at 11:03am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Another advantage you have over me!

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 October 2017 at 11:28am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Well, if all goes according to (tentative) plans, I may be intersecting with Shatner in the not-too-distant future, so I hope!

+++++++

Awesome! He's expressed interest in appearing in the recent live-action TREKs, so this would be the next best thing. Hope it all works out.

Peter Hicks
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 October 2017 at 12:41pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I received about a dozen of the con variant covers with my usual comps, yesterday. I wish there was some way to raffle them off, here in the JBF, but I fear at least some of them would end up on eBay with high price tags attached.
Perhaps you could autograph the cover with a full "To ____ ____" (first and last name)on the cover.   That tends to dampen the eBay potential.

Marten van Wier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 October 2017 at 2:27pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Reminds me again of my "plan" to seek out autographs of historical fugures that were personalized to "John". I'd hang them around my house and pretend I was Jason Blood!

"To friend Byrne from Ugh, inventor of wheel and discoverer of fire (fire hurts!)"

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 October 2017 at 4:11pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

#18 Engaging episode.

The environment suit is a cool concept.

Nice to see your still on the leading edge in other aspects also.

edit; Because I forgot to say congrats to Chekov!

Edited by Doug Centers on 12 October 2017 at 4:12pm

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 October 2017 at 4:14pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Ordered the latest issue.

I'm reasonably sure this won't be an INTO DARKNESS scenario, with the Enterprise happily chugging along both underwater and in an atmospheric/gravity environment...

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 October 2017 at 7:31pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I doubt any of the regulars of this group would sell such a gift from John Byrne himself on E-bay.  I know I wouldn't. Back when I sold my Byrne X-Men when I was hard up for money, I held on to the one signed issue I had that was given to me as a gift from a friend who knew I loved JB's work. While I might begrudgingly sell some comics based on financial need (definitely not by choice unless it's something I just didn't care for), I'd never sell a gift. 

Edited by Shane Matlock on 12 October 2017 at 7:31pm

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 October 2017 at 9:20pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Whenever I would read interviews with J.J. Abrams, where he claimed he & his writers could never find a solid storytelling way of getting William Shatner as Kirk into his TREK films, my reactions would always be, "Byrne could do it!"

Thankfully, NEW VISIONS could prove to be a more organic way of getting Shatner back into TREK, free from those shitty films.  Fingers crossed!!

Edited by Shaun Barry on 12 October 2017 at 9:25pm

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 October 2017 at 6:43am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Altho I did not get to meet him (this time), I did find out from Shatner's rep at the NYCC that he has read NEW VISIONS and likes it.

Step one!
------------------------------------------

Part of me just went squee

Rod Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 October 2017 at 6:01pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Some nice touches in the latest issue of New Visions... The dramatic introduction of a same sex couple for a few panels. We are so used to seeing aliens having relationships on Trek, but homosexual relationships are never touched upon.The new tech that is seen in this issue and the promo pages for the next issue. The helmet for the environment suit looks like a Wally Wood helmet brought to life - a perfect look for this series.Overall, another engaging story, followed by a fun single page interlude.

Edited to add the word "suit".

Edited by Rod Collins on 13 October 2017 at 7:07pm

Patrick Mallon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 October 2017 at 6:50pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Well, if all goes according to (tentative) plans, I may be intersecting with Shatner in the not-too-distant future, so I hope there will be an opportunity to discuss such things!

Would that involve a trip to upstate New York? Inquiring minds would like to know...

Edited by Patrick Mallon on 13 October 2017 at 6:52pm

John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 13 October 2017 at 6:57pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Nope.

John Kirk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 October 2017 at 7:02pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

Well, John. If you are ever in Toronto (East York, specifically), I hope you would consider availing yourself of my hospitality. I have an extra-fine scotch cabinet.

John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 13 October 2017 at 7:05pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

"Scotch? It vas inwented by a little old lady from Leningrad!"

John Kirk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 October 2017 at 7:15pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

KNEW that was coming!

Patrick Mallon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 October 2017 at 7:20pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

Well, I did make the trip to Ticonderoga, for the Doug Drexler tour, from the NYC metro area....

Definitely worth the trip, tho a far drive...

John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 14 October 2017 at 8:56am | IP Logged | 22 post reply

There were many mentions of the library computers aboard the Enterprise. but we didn't really get a peek at what they looked like. This issue (20) I offer my version, a kind of combination of Mr. Atoz's Atavachron and HAL 9000 from SPACE ODYSSEY.

Much like HAL, I decided this was a somewhat confined space. Spock cannot stand fully upright, for instance.

Paul Newland
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 October 2017 at 4:32pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

I really enjoyed the latest issue.  The ending felt a bit rushed but I suspect on a second reading it won't feel that way, I was just in a hurry to get to the end!

It had a lot of nice character moments, with all the characters getting some time to shine, plus some nice cameos from Chapel, Kyle, and was that Barrows I spied in the background?  Plopping in variants of the Field Effect suits was a nice touch too.

The use of Rand was spot on, I felt.  She was the mobile everyman, asking questions for Spock to explain to the reader but not appearing  to be completely dense.  How long does it take to re-do her hair BTW?

I notice that with each passing issue, we're edging closer to the refit era.  It's filling me with apprehension, and I love TMP!  I suppose we have the TAS years to get through first at least.

John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 14 October 2017 at 5:04pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

I notice that with each passing issue, we're edging closer to the refit era. It's filling me with apprehension, and I love TMP! I suppose we have the TAS years to get through first at least.

Since I'm not operating in real time, TMP is as far away as I want it to be.

John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 14 October 2017 at 6:24pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

Watching "Where No Man has Gone Before", just now, and got to wondering if there was any "official" data on the configuration of the S.S.Valiant.

Quick Google search, and of course there is! A model equipped with warp nacelles, even tho the ship was stated to be equipped only with impulse engines. (Cue sound of fanboys jumping thru hoops to make this work.)

Pity. I'd almost convinced myself it might be fun to DRAW the story of the ship's ill-fated last mission. A challenge to build a compelling tale, an involving crew, even tho we know how it comes out.

<< Prev Page of 202 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |