Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Star Trek << Prev Page of 187
Topic: STAR TREK: NEW VISIONS - Origins and Updates Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 May 2017 at 6:53pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Just got back from the Motor City Comic-Con. As usual, it was sensory overload! I noted that Vic Mignogna (of STAR TREK CONTINUES) was there, although I didn't get around to chatting with him. Also got myself a big stack of AVENGERS (vol. 1) comics for $2 a pop.

Anyway, what's relevant to this thread? In some $6 trade paperback bins, I managed to snag NEW VISIONS Vol. 3 and 4 for myself, and NEW VISIONS Vol. 1 for a friend who had to attend a funeral instead of going to Comic-Con.

For another friend who was unable to attend, I bought NEW VISIONS Vol. 1 and the STAR TREK: THE JOHN BYRNE COLLECTION (which contains all of the non-photonovel miniseries--a $35 value for $6!!!!). This friend of mine has been slowly watching TOS for the first time, and is really enjoying it (just as I've been slowly reading the LORD OF THE RINGS books--we're engaging in a "Nerd Cultural Exchange Program"), and I figured he'd get a kick out of these books. Unfortunately, he'll have to wait until he gets through TOS to read them and grasp the proper context, especially when it comes to ASSIGNMENT: EARTH.

Mind you, my choice of NEW VISIONS Vol. 1 may be slightly self-serving, since it contains my namesake, the U.S.S. Gregory. Gotta win friends and impress the babes with that nerd street cred, y'know? Of course, I'm also happy to spread the word on this series!
Back to Top profile | search | email

John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 21 May 2017 at 8:22am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Tinker, tinker...

As some of you may recall, the shuttlecraft was a bit of a TARDIS, being larger inside than out. Saving money on the full sized exterior model? Anyway, this presents me with a question as to how to scale my model compared to any figures that might be in the shot. I really am tempted to make it bigger than it was, so that the interior proportions make more sense.

Back to Top profile | search

Paul Newland
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 May 2017 at 9:30am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Go for it.  Nothing you come up with can be as bad as the JJprise. 

John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 25 May 2017 at 7:16am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

"Sketching" in the modeler yesterday, I found not only an image, but a story forming. This morning I set up a panel, even tho that story is not fully formed. Also seen here another in my constant experiments to find different ways to show the crew beaming down.

By the time I have finished shaping the story, it may have nothing like its present form, so this shot may not even appear! Several issues away, in any case!

Aleksandar Petrovic
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2017 at 9:30am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I like the environment, whatever it represents - very nice

Tim O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 25 May 2017 at 9:47am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Fantastic!  Your designs for this series have been a big part of the fun.  I really like the use of panels for beaming down - very cool.

Back to Top profile | search | email

John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 26 May 2017 at 7:26am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

It seems I will never learn, tho. Building that model employs a lot of glass, chrome and lightbulbs. All of which add enormously to the rendering time.

One of these days I will set my story in a coal mine at midnight!!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 187
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |