Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Star Trek << Prev Page of 29
Topic: STAR TREK: DISCOVERY - New TV Series Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 November 2017 at 11:00am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Hello everyone. Hey, I invested the time to read every single post in this thread before commenting, and I just thought I would introduce myself and establish some bona fides before commenting as well, hope you don’t mind.

So, a quick introduction. My first JB comic was Space:1999 #6 purchased on Inverness St. in Camden High St. in 1976.  I’ve read and own pretty much everything JB has done since then, including all of his Star Trek work, which I love.  

Why do I like Star Trek so much? For all the reasons you all do, but... my parents tell me that my first words stung together in a phrase were “where no man gone before!”  So wow did I get started early—in another continent and years before that issue of Space:1999. :)

In fact, as a meager installment on paying back my dad for gifting me with a life-long love of comics, sci-fi, and Star Trek, I bought him (and had professionally framed) some original JB cover art–via the wonderful Jim Warden—back when I could barely afford such things (as apposed to now when I can’t afford them at all, haha).

I would note that my best friend of 35 years is also a fan. We both owned (and still do) copies of the original Star Trek technical manual, but dammit he owned the Concordance and the giant fold-out blueprints that included some of those somewhat naughty, bigger-than-Constitution class starships that we wished as kids we could see in action.

A few years ago my dad pointed out to me (with regard to recent and then-upcoming Star Trek movies) that he missed the “optimistic” future that Star Trek presented on television in all of its eras. My best friend and I agreed. I may not be expressing that concept eloquently, but we all know what I am talking about. 

Now neither my dad nor my best friend follow the media news like I do, but I kept them both posted on the productions ins and outs (and seemingly mostly outs) of the run-up to the debut of STD.  And sure enough, I saw the first episode of the pilot and was kinda disappointed.  I saw part two and it was enough to get me to see the third episode. You know what?

Turns out Star Trek Discovery is fun as hell and both my dad and my best friend and I can’t wait to see what happens next. :) Do I quibble with some things? Based on everything I have shared with you above, you know I do! But I do wish all of you were having the same fun that we are.

Edited by Victor Perez on 24 November 2017 at 11:15am
Back to Top profile | search

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 November 2017 at 1:04am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

The gents at TWO TRUE FREAKS just released a very interesting, two-plus-hours discussion on STD and the state of the STAR TREK franchise:

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 29
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |