Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Star Trek << Prev Page of 31
Topic: STAR TREK: DISCOVERY - New TV Series Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 February 2018 at 6:30am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

How much did we know about Worf or O'Brien, for example, by this point in Season 1 of TNG?  The show's already been renewed, there will be plenty of time, with a number of previously focal characters on the show now swept aside, to more fully develop other members of the Discovery bridge crew in future seasons. 

Hopefully.   

It's a lot harder to tell done-in-one episodes centered on one character without jumping away from an ongoing storyline.  Not that it can't be done but the creators of this show seemed determined to prove that it won't be done this way.   

O'Brien's an interesting example to bring up because all of the character development that made him a fan favorite happened later on DS9 and not on TNG as some people like to think. The first inkling we get that he's more than just a caricature with an accent is his wedding, which drops out of the blue sky with no first meeting, first date... nothing.  He's a supporting character plucked out of the background and fluffed up in blatant preparation for a spinoff,  due to last minute retooling in the wake of Michelle Forbes not wanting to continue as Ro Laren. (herself, a character created primarily to be the 'glue' between TNG and DS9).   It's only under the semi-serialized storytelling of DS9 that we really get to know what made O'Brien tick.

Worf's a different story.  We actually did know quite a bit about him by the end of TNG season one, and we had at least an episode or two centered on him or where he played a major role. Even his role as the muscle that gets knocked down to show just how powerful the bad guys are is something to build on.   

The DISCOVERY characters for the most part are silently working in the background as window dressing mainly to show the ship can actually function as a ship while the main three or four characters are having their drama.   It's kind of hard to get attached to a character that speaks no lines and scowls at a console or steps up to the plate in one episode only to get killed off like the security chief.   It's ironic then that these characters only speak up as their MU counterparts -- in a meta sort of way it mirrors the Emperor's comments that the Federation is a boring and uninteresting failed social experiment.   Seems the DISC writers share the same sentiments.

When a third of your aired episodes constitute one long storyline it's kind of difficult to shoehorn a done-in-one in there too!  

DS9 IMO really was the pinnacle of STAR TREK storytelling since it had room for both serial stories and one-offs.   You could happily have the Dominion war raging on while Quark gets up to some comedic shenanigans and it all fits.

Edited by Rob Ocelot on 02 February 2018 at 6:38am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 February 2018 at 1:51pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Just got caught up with this. It's a great show, I just don't think it's a great Star Trek show. I simply can't wrap my head around the fact that all this happened BEFORE Jim Kirk's Enterprise. 

That said, I really am enjoying the show. Except for the lead character. I'm ready for her to die. Sonequa Martin isn't selling it for me. She may be awesome in other roles, but it ain't happening here. I'm feeling Heyden Christensen level wooden acting here. It's like all she does is show up, read her lines, and goes home. The backstory they gave her is quite interesting, she does doesn't sell it. 

(Oh, and I still hate how the Klingons look.)
Back to Top profile | search

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 February 2018 at 2:00pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I don't like the look of the Klingons, but it did allow them to have Shazad Latif play both Voq and Ash Tyler without any chance of recognition. Though I still don't like all Klingons looking different, this at least shows there was some measure of method behind the madness.

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 February 2018 at 2:50pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I don't like the look of the Klingons, but it did allow them to have Shazad Latif play both Voq and Ash Tyler without any chance of recognition.

I dunno, after watching Robert O'Riley's performance as a Klingon:

... if you ran into this guy on the street would you immediately think "Hey, that's Gowron!"?

Perhaps it boils down to both the skill of the actor involved and the confidence of the director/exec producer in pulling off a hiding-in-plain-sight ruse without resorting to a prosthetic that completely envelopes the head and makes the actor sound like he's chewing marbles.

Victor Perez
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 February 2018 at 8:25pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Hahaha, season finale awesome ...and also a giant FU! to every hater and grumpy, Trump-loving pepe STDiscovery naysayer. Between this show and Altered Carbon I can die happy right now...

Ron Goad
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 February 2018 at 9:30pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Wow - such a high-brow comment...

(Bad news - I both DIDN'T vote for Trump, and very much can't stand ST:D!)

Richard Stevens
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 February 2018 at 11:45pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Yeah! That was a pretty neat cliffhanger and a nice reiteration of Starfleet's ideals and principles. Perhaps we'll learn how the aesthetics of TOS evolved from the darker look of these earlier years.

Maybe we had to go dark to show some utopianism in this day and age. I'm definitely on board for season 2.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2018 at 1:02am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Meh.

*A lame duck of a story and a huge letdown to the vast improvement in the plotting and writing seen in the previous four episodes.  It feels like the writers took the week off and left the B-crew to handle the autopilot button.

*The medal ceremony and speeches (not to mention the pedantic preaching from Michael) were nails-on-chalkboard cringeworthy.  It felt like Chewie and R2D2 were going to get their medals next.  Notice too that none of the other Discovery crew members (other than the principals) are shown getting medals.

*Sarek, who is supposed to be a fuxing ambassador willingly went along with a plan to commit genocide.  Uh huh.  No one else in the entire Federation had the balls to stand up and say "this is wrong"?  Are you kidding me?  Sarek just pulls out a mea culpa afterword and it's back to business like nothing happened.  No wonder the Andorians hate the Vulcans.  Sheesh.

*It's left wide open for Michael to single-handedly save the day and lecture an Admiral on duty and Starfleet ideals. She then gets her old job back, her criminal record expunged, everyone likes her again, and to cap it off she gets to address the entire... what was that?  The Federation Council? She gets to lecture the entire Federation in a self-righteous tirade.   Yay human power! (or something)

*I like how L'Rell is able to hold up a device, say it's the detonator for a bomb and all the Klingons believe her and fall into line.  "Follow me or I blow up the world" comes off more like a dictatorship, so why is the Federation patting itself on the back for a job well done?  

*We get some throwaway TNG name drops (Betazed, and Mintakan 3 "Who Watches The Watchers")

*It's noteworthy that the Klingons are back to red blood and not Pepto Bismol.

*This is (I think) the first time we've properly seen male Orions onscreen (not counting TAS). 

*Georgiou is left to run loose in the alpha quadrant.  Can you say "set up to be the villain for the rest of the series" three times fast?  I'm sure she'll be hooking up with Mr. Mudd in no time flat for a season 2 episode.

*For a season ender it sure felt like it was written as a series ender.   Maybe they really are doing that anthology series idea for next season.

*The appearance of the Enterprise was a nice surprise but it's a bit of a piss-take when you realize you aren't going to see Pike or Spock on this show (unless Mr Quinto decides to make an appearance).  I'm not holding my breath that the season 2 opener will continue that story either.

*Whoever butchered Alexander Courage's theme music for the end credits should be dragged out back and shot.

Edited by Rob Ocelot on 12 February 2018 at 1:26am

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2018 at 8:58am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

No one else in the entire Federation had the balls to stand up and say "this is wrong"?  Are you kidding me?
--------------------------------------------------------
I don't think they submitted the secret plan to the entire Federation, did they?

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2018 at 4:13pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I had most of the same issues posted above, except the bit about Sarek going along with the plan.  I'm surprised the Vulcans didn't propose the plan.  While I dislike the more recent 'asshole Vulcan' model, Spock is the one walking around with a  phaser rifle in Where No Man Has Gone Before who keeps proposing killing Mitchell before he becomes too powerful to kill.

Kinda the whole point of them being logical beings not driven by emotion is that they are the ones willing to make the pragmatic decision to the point of being ruthless.  Faced with imminent genocide on Earth by the Klingons, followed inevitably by a similar slaughter on Vulcan, Andoria, etc. and the eradication of the Federation, the greatest force for reason in the galaxy to be replaced by slavery to the Klingons, destroying Qo'nos is an entirely logical preferred alternative.

Anyway, its a far more logical solution to the problem than the nonsense with Burnham and the Klingon with the IPad. 

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2018 at 7:53pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Rob, I believe we saw male Orions in season four of "Enterprise" in the episodes "Borderlands" and "Bound." There may have been others.

Richard Stevens
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2018 at 8:40pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

jingle bell, jingle bell, jingle bell skull

Richard Stevens
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2018 at 8:48pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

I assume we're deep in spoiler territory, right?

Because I have a theory about season 2:

WE'RE FINALLY GOING TO SEE MORE OF NUMBER ONE!!!

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 February 2018 at 1:43am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

I must admit i got a bit emotional at the ending, also
it was nice to see Clint Howard back in Star Trek!
I am now wondering if Zachary Quinto is doing much in
the next year?

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 February 2018 at 7:02am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

WE'RE FINALLY GOING TO SEE MORE OF NUMBER ONE!!!

Considering the taboo television places this show has gone in one season I'd be very careful about what you wished for... 

Richard Stevens
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 February 2018 at 9:38am | IP Logged | 16 post reply

I really dig the show, so no concern here. 

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 February 2018 at 12:39pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

I believe we saw male Orions in season four of "Enterprise" in the episodes "Borderlands" and "Bound."
--------------------------------------------
What a great Brainiac, fin...wait...that's not Brainiac?  Brainiac is that Andorian on Supergirl? 

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 February 2018 at 9:33pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

One thing I will say in DISCOVERY's favor -- it's had a stronger first season than any post-60's STAR TREK.   Even DS9 was weaksauce in it's first season.

I might quibble about the execution at times, but as I've said before if you leave your expectations at the door it's not a horrible TV program.  Whether it's horrible STAR TREK though is up for debate.

Edited by Rob Ocelot on 13 February 2018 at 9:33pm

Andrew Saxon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 February 2018 at 4:53am | IP Logged | 19 post reply

It occurred to me while watching the latest episode that we know nothing about black bridge female, robotic looking bridge female and bridge female with facial enhancements even though we`re on episode 13, which is a bit sad.

One of the things I thought Discovery got right was that it didn't present us with a TNG style cookie cutter bridge crew. We got to know the people we needed to know gradually, while the bridge crew not so important to the plot became familiar in the way that, say, Mr Leslie did on TOS. I was fond of Mr Leslie without needing the 'Top Trumps' back story TNG would have given him.

I dunno, after watching Robert O'Riley's performance as a Klingon ... if you ran into this guy on the street would you immediately think "Hey, that's Gowron!"?

Yes. Although I agree with the point you are making, Bob O'Reilly is the worst example you could have chosen because his distinctive eyes were a dead giveaway.

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 February 2018 at 7:06pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

Yes. Although I agree with the point you are making, Bob O'Reilly is the worst example you could have chosen because his distinctive eyes were a dead giveaway.

Ahh true.   I thought about showing pictures of J.G. Hertzler and Martok but it seems more of Hertlzer's face shows through the prosthetics than O'Reilly.

Joe Boster
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 February 2018 at 1:50pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

Hahaha, season finale awesome ...and also a giant FU! to every hater and grumpy, Trump-loving pepe STDiscovery naysayer. Between this show and Altered Carbon I can die happy right now.

+++++++++++++++++++++

I don't understand the need for most Discovery fans to pop off like that. What does it say about us as a society when you disagree with someone you are branded a hater? Also rather insulting to our host. 

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 February 2018 at 4:49pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

Apparently somehow your opinion of this show has something to do with politics.  

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 31
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |