Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Star Trek << Prev Page of 34
Topic: STAR TREK: DISCOVERY - New TV Series Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 August 2018 at 1:59pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

There's a lot of outright misinformation and interpretation in that Midnight's Edge video, and assuming the truth of various rumors. What he says in that video about the Paramount/CBS rights situation, for example, simply isn't true.  I've been told about that situation by an actual licensor throughout that period, who I believe over some guy who made a video. Here's why I don't buy the 'eradicating the 'Prime' timeline bit'.

JJ Abrams, in 2009, when he took over the property, attempted that full court press.  He wanted an end to all merchandising of any kind of any Star Trek but his.  He wanted to present a completely united front.  And he got turned down flat, which is part of what caused him to withdraw from taking an active role with the property.  CBS was making way, way too much money on merchandising the other series', and weren't going to give it up.  Nothing much has changed since then.  There's a reason McFarlane toys cancelled the Disco phaser for lack of interest, but is making (Shatner) Kirk and Picard action figures with the license.  It sells better.

Don't get me wrong.  CBS has no quasi-ethical dedication to longtime Star Trek fans or whatever.  They, like all corporations, are in business to make money and maximize profit.  So why not have your cake and eat it too?  Sell TOS stuff and Disco stuff.  Make 8 different Spock action figures for fans of all ages.  Have one line of stuff for long time fans, and another for the ones into the new stuff.  Do Disco and a Picard series for two different audiences.  Limiting their own options makes no sense.  DC has been doing this for years, too, selling all kinds of merch with old Garcia-Lopez art on it for longtime fans, right alongside the hot new garbage.
Back to Top profile | search

Michael Casselman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 August 2018 at 3:49pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Have any scripts even been written yet? Outlines?
I can't muster enough outrage to ponder the continuity shattering implications based off of an announcement.
Once they're in production and anything of consequence gets leaked (assuming leaks to be accurate), *then* I'll develop the requisite agita.

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 August 2018 at 9:44pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

No scripts have been written.  Apparently a Star Trek novelist with a good reputation pitched the idea.  It’s that idea that Patrick Stewart signed on for.  She’s listed as an ep on the series.

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 August 2018 at 6:27am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

News sites are reporting that Ethan Peck has been cast as Spock on DISCOVERY.

Haven't seen much of his work but a glance at the IMDB shows that his most prominent role to date has been playing the grandson of Greogry Peck.  :-)

In an age where many film actors are jumping at the chance for a regular paying gig on TV that only increases their exposure it's a puzzler why Quinto isn't taking this role. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Ted Downum
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 August 2018 at 7:58am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Rob: "Haven't seen much of his work but a glance at the IMDB shows that his most prominent role to date has been playing the grandson of Gregory Peck.  :-)"

It occurs to me that Gregory Peck would have made a superb Vulcan!

As for Ethan Peck, I have no idea. I'd have been happy to see Quinto back in the role, but I wonder if somebody decided that he was now "too old" for a chronologically younger Spock...though that supposes Creative Team Disco thinks about that kind of stuff, which I strongly suspect they do not. 

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 August 2018 at 7:04pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UiWWQ22EnZ8
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Victor Perez
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 August 2018 at 7:43pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

“‘...and I guess you haven’t seen the show, or the whole series.’
Why would you guess that?”

...because I honestly couldn’t remember whether you were: 1) one of the happy few posting here who had seen and enjoyed Discovery, or 2) one of the many more posting here who—while very well read and respectful of others and Trek in general—either hadn’t seen any Discovery or hadn’t seen any beyond episode 2 were just grumpy about something... somehow they just knew it wasn’t for them... or they were just sick of sjws ....or “sick of people on both sides” ....or just sick of the culture wars ...or just sick of people just “not telling great stories” ...so I just played the odds. Look, it wasn’t perfect, but my friends and family were entertained. We are different people but what we have in common is we all saw the whole season and if an any given point an individual was not enthusiastic about a given episode, we were carried along in part by the rest and in part by a pretty basic desire to find out what happens next.

Victor Perez
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 August 2018 at 7:45pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Apologies if I guessed wrong, by the way.

Bill Mimbu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 September 2018 at 9:03pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

With Leslie Moonves resigning today from CBS, I wonder how soon will that impact the current Trek projects..

Oliver Denker
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 September 2018 at 8:29am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Leslie Moonves second in command takes over...so we'll have to see.

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 September 2018 at 10:27am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I've always heard that Moonves was not a big fan of Trek, and that's why the Trek pickings have been so meager on the TV side for so long.  So I can't see how this would be a negative turn for the franchise.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 34
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |