Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 444 Next >>
Topic: Acting Presidential Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 June 2020 at 12:30am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

It’s not just in the moral sense, Rodrigo.

Agree. I chose to frame it in that way because a) I'm not an expert on the entire history of US presidents and b) an argument could be made his presidency was not that bad in some segments (economy pre-COVID, for instance). But at what price? I'm 100% convinced though, that a man of such low moral fiber being elected at that high of an office is unprecedented.

And what I find second most upsetting about the possible future (#1 being an unhinged Trump in a second term, of course) is Biden being elected, not killing small animals on camera, and suddenly it's all good again. It'd be like putting a Band-Aid on a samurai sword inflicted flesh wound.

Obviously I don't think "both sides are the same" and Democrats have been demonstrably more competent in handling the government in recent times but they never addressed the real issues in a serious way, they thrive on not being as bad as the other guys. The whole system is rigged to work in this way (everywhere, not just in the US).

I am and always was an admirer of Barack Obama but (and this is tough to think about) what kind of legacy or foundation did he leave in his 8 years in office if it paved the way for this current nightmare?

No easy answers.

Back to Top profile | search

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 June 2020 at 8:00am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I am and always was an admirer of Barack Obama but (and this is tough to think about) what kind of legacy or foundation did he leave in his 8 years in office if it paved the way for this current nightmare?”

How this nation (or significant parts of it) reacted to Obama being President has nothing to do with him.  

It’s like asking black people to stop protesting and bitching about systemic racism.  Guess what?  The problem isn’t “us”.  

The legacy he left in office (and you can debate the merits of his policies) but his personal character, decorum and execution of his duties as POTUS was pretty exemplary.  As much as the GOP wanted to hang him (!) with some scandal...they couldn’t produce anything.  When Obama wearing a tan suit was a matter of grave concern to FOX News, you know they were digging deep for it.   The man and his family were pure dignity, class and compassion for any who wanted to receive it.   And his administration is probably the most scandal free in modern history.

What Obama’s legacy is is this:  It was so positive that Joe Biden standing next to him and grinning for 8 years made Biden a viable candidate at 70+ years of age and not an original thought in his head.  Remember, the guy has run for the office twice and had no amount of success whatsoever.

Edited by David Allen Perrin on 14 June 2020 at 8:01am

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 June 2020 at 9:38am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Everyone is making great points for the most part*. But to me, there are two aspects. The second is, how good a president will** Joe Biden be as president?

But the first is the one that I hope will persuade the voters; JOE BIDEN IS NOT DONALD TRUMP. Getting Trump out of the White House is the key to me, and I don't care who it is that does it. THEN I'll worry about how good Biden is.

*However, my wife and I have an agreement; when Biden (or anyone) mentions Obama, we take a drink. I'm nearly flooded.... and I don't drink alcohol. But I'm thinking about it...

**Optimism springs eternal.

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 June 2020 at 10:40am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

By the way, Happy Barack Obama Day!  There's a huge push to make today, which is the orange one's birthday, Obama day in order to fill Twitter with many mentions of it.  Ergo, that's all 45 sees....  ;)

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 June 2020 at 3:51pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Nic
e to see our President threatening US citizens

James Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 June 2020 at 5:39pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I have a bad feeling about Tulsa tomorrow.

His "people" are going to look for trouble. Plain and simple. 

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 June 2020 at 5:52pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

The legacy he left in office (and you can debate the merits of his policies) but his personal character, decorum and execution of his duties as POTUS was pretty exemplary.  As much as the GOP wanted to hang him (!) with some scandal...they couldn’t produce anything.  When Obama wearing a tan suit was a matter of grave concern to FOX News, you know they were digging deep for it.   The man and his family were pure dignity, class and compassion for any who wanted to receive it.   And his administration is probably the most scandal free in modern history.

What Obama’s legacy is is this:  It was so positive that Joe Biden standing next to him and grinning for 8 years made Biden a viable candidate at 70+ years of age and not an original thought in his head.  Remember, the guy has run for the office twice and had no amount of success whatsoever.
--------------------------------
I'd agree with this. Clearly there was a section of folks who didn't see it the same way (or refused to), but the man was calm, considered, classy and intelligent.

Richard Stevens
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 June 2020 at 6:23pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Obama wasn't perfect. Nobody's perfect. But man, was he ever fucking good.

I miss knowing he was driving the boat. I would trust that guy with the Phoenix Force.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Bryan Eacret
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 June 2020 at 8:25pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

We can only imagine what Obama would have done with a Congress that was willing to work with him. 

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 June 2020 at 12:26am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Well, I guess today’s the day that Trump’s supporters do their best to
commit suicide by getting real close in a state that has rising infections.

I cannot believe (well I can actually) that the man has lumped
protesters & terrorists together yet again.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 June 2020 at 12:31am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

If 19,000+ idiots want to cram into a building when there's a full blown pandemic going on, more power to them.  I just hope they do NOT infect anyone else and they keep it amongst themselves.  As I've said previously and elsewhere, that'll just mean there will be less of them voting come November.

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 June 2020 at 3:18am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

It's going to be a self-inflicted Red Wedding (Game of Thrones reference there). 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

<< Prev Page of 444 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |