Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Sports Talk MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Sports Talk
Topic: Milt Schmidt, 1918-2017, NHL Hall of Famer Locked Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 January 2017 at 6:13am | IP Logged | 1  

Milt Schmidt, Hall of Fame Center for the Boston Bruins, has died at the age of 98. He was the oldest living NHL player. By the late 30s he was probably the best hockey player around -- but then voluntarily walked away and enlisted in the Canadian military during WW II -- returning to resume his career, and (like Ted Williams) continue as one of the best.

Although his reputation as one of the greatest hockey players ever remains intact, I often feel the generations pre-Gretzky are nonetheless undervalued and overshadowed today. 
Back to Top profile | search

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 January 2017 at 11:45am | IP Logged | 2  

Although his reputation as one of the greatest hockey players ever remains intact, I often feel the generations pre-Gretzky are nonetheless undervalued and overshadowed today.
Yes.  Admittedly I'm no hockey fan but I'm a sports fan and I grew up in Boston yet I've barely heard of Milt.  When I first glanced the thread title I read it as Philly baseball HOFer Mike Schmidt.  Other than Pat Tillman, I can't imagine a pro athlete making the sacrifice of voluntarily risking their career and life for their country these days, much less a bonafide superstar like Schmidt.  RIP
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Post Reply | Post New Topic |