Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Movies Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: ALIEN: COVENANT ~ SPOILERS start Pg 4 Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 February 2017 at 9:12pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

And yet I start this thread to sincerely ask:  Does this not seem less like another ALIEN entry and more like another crack at PROMETHEUS, perhaps giving us the sequel/prequel/whatever we thought we were getting a few years back?

Edited to add spoiler warning~Matt

Edited by Matt Reed on 18 May 2017 at 9:29am
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 28 February 2017 at 9:24pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

My interest here is deep into negative numbers.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 February 2017 at 9:28pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I'm confused. Where's Noomi Rapace? Seems to be positioning itself in odd territory.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 February 2017 at 10:01pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

For me, too many of these sequels have killed the mystery and horror of the Alien itself (or the "Xenomorph"--yawn)... though really, that started as far back as ALIEN3.

If this looked radically different than PROMETHEUS, maybe I'd give it a shot, but this just looks like more of the same.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 February 2017 at 10:34pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

We've now technically had four prequels (the AVPs, PROMETHEUS, and this) to a film which works largely because of its mystery. Sigh.
Back to Top profile | search | email

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 February 2017 at 11:32pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

After PROMETHEUS no way will you get me to see this film in a cinema. For the sake of screens in planes, I doubt I'll see it on a plane either.

Don Zomberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 March 2017 at 6:49am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Fool me once, Ridley...

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 March 2017 at 9:03am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Okay, I gotta say it.

Based on this trailer, the whole crew is made up of couples, because they're establishing a long term colony.  Presumably, the purpose of having couples therefore is so that they can bear children to sustain and grow the colony.

I also get wanting to be progressive and inclusive...but how the heck does it make any logical sense for one of the couples to be a gay couple?

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 March 2017 at 1:30pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

If movies have taught us anything, it's that many or even most space colonists will meet gruesome and premature ends; someone will need to adopt their brats . 
Back to Top profile | search | www | email

Brian Hunt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 March 2017 at 2:13pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

David's comment about the Gay couple being along simply
to adopt the kids of slain colonist truly made me
chuckle.

I've relegated Ridley Scott to the same category I put
JJ Abrahms in. They have these wonderfully interesting
ideas, but no real idea about how to put the actual
story together so I usually come away disappointed in
the final film. At this point, the films need to focus
on the Engineers and not the Xenomorphs. We've seen that
part of the story before.

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 March 2017 at 2:38pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

perhaps giving us the sequel/prequel/whatever we thought we were getting a few years back?
Seeing the trailer, that's my first thought.  And as much as I want to root for 79 year old Ridley Scott (surely one of the older directors to be handed a big budget movie like this), the last movie I enjoyed by him besides The Martian actually dates back to 2001.  Barring rave reviews from trusted sources, this is one I'll only check up on via Netflix.

Brian Skelley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 March 2017 at 3:22pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

They released a "prologue" of sorts. It basically just introduces you to the cannon fodder crew.

Link

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 March 2017 at 5:51pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

A nod to the John Hurt scene from Alien.

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 March 2017 at 12:17am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

A forced nod to the John Hurt scene. It only has merit because of that scene.

I also agree with Steve above. My initial thoughts were 'If this is a colonisation mission with the express intention of creating a population, a gay couple, representing what, a fifth of the crew(?), is a lot of dead weight, mission goal wise'

Unless they will be saying they have cracked men having babies

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 March 2017 at 6:48am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

They have. But the crack is in the ribcage and they're not human babies.

John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 02 March 2017 at 7:00am | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Maybe the Gay couple are sperm donors.

Seriously, tho, this seems to follow a long tradition of illogical "colony" groups. Like LOST IN SPACE, with a man, his wife, two daughters and a son, and one single guy. Try not to visualize the combinations!

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 March 2017 at 8:29am | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Can't a gay scientist couple come along for the ride?  No need to exclude them... though in a movie like this, the point is moot:  It's ALIEN.  They're all toast!

Marc Baptiste
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 March 2017 at 9:19am | IP Logged | 18 post reply

I haven't loved an ALIEN movie since ALIENS, 1986.

Marc

Edited by Marc Baptiste on 02 March 2017 at 9:20am

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 March 2017 at 10:03am | IP Logged | 19 post reply

You won't get any argument from me, Marc.  I only own a copy of ALIEN3 because of the fascinating behind-the-scenes features about the troubled production of said film.  But the movie itself I don't really bother with (the last time I watched it was with the commentary tracks, maybe 5 or 6 years ago), and I own no other ALIEN film after that.

ALIEN and ALIENS are an exquisite one-two punch.  Those are the only ones anybody ever really needs!

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 March 2017 at 2:32am | IP Logged | 20 post reply

I rather enjoyed that short film prequel to Alien: Covenant. I had the same question in my head about having a gay couple on a colonization mission to a new planet, but JB makes an excellent and funny point by referencing Lost in Space. Kind of odd seeing Danny McBride in something that's not a comedy but he didn't seem too out of place in Prologue: Last Supper. Haven't seen James Franco in the trailers and after that prequel I'm wondering if he even survives the cryogenic sleep on the way there. It's good to see Michael Fassbender back as Walter the next step in the David android series. He was about the only thing I really enjoyed about Prometheus. 

John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 07 March 2017 at 8:38am | IP Logged | 21 post reply

Can't a gay scientist couple come along for the ride? No need to exclude them...

Again, colony ship. Breeders only need apply.

(Not particularly "exclusive", either, since future generations of the colony will produce Gay people the ol' fashioned way.)

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security

Robotmod

Posted: 09 March 2017 at 4:07pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

Here's where I rest with the ALIEN franchise.  In specific order:

THE BEST
  1. ALIEN - Without the original, there would be no other.  The only haunted house horror film of the bunch simply because we didn't know anything about the Alien.  Fantastically moody, expertly paced with great performances all around.
  2. ALIENS - It took the first film and dragged the franchise into action movie territory where it has more or less resided ever since.  Not a bad thing at all for this sequel.  We already know pretty much all we need to know about the Aliens (the pointless PROMETHEUS notwithstanding), so we're on a rollercoaster ride pretty much from start to finish.  Again, excellent cast with a whipsmart script and iconic additions to the lore: Newt and Bishop chief among them. 
  3. AvP - Say what you will about this pairing of two franchises, but it pretty much gets both right from the jump.  It takes place in a remote Earth location, which is why most of the populace do not know of either's existence (the absolutely awful follow-up AvP:REQUIEM should be totally ignored). It gives Weyland Corp the in to discovering the Alien, which is why it almost pathologically pursues them for further study and weapons engineering centuries in the future.  It's also an ingenious use of the Predators.  There are a few quibbles with the casting, but overall I think it's a fun adventure, one I've seen only a few less times than I've watched the previous two.
THE WORST
  1. The best of the worst for me is ALIEN: RESURRECTION. It's got some interesting concepts and a swimming Alien.  Couple that with haunted house scares the likes of which the franchise hadn't seen since the original plus Ron Perlman and it's a watchable failure.
  2. ALIEN 3 - While it commits the unforgivable sin of killing off two incredibly compelling characters in Newt and Hicks in a totally implausible way (the Queen from ALIENS could not have laid an egg in the time we see it board the ship and then attack) not to mention Ripley at the end, it gets style points for me: the Alien POV as it's chasing our red shirts, the creative pairing of Aliens with hosts other than human and the prison locale.  What really makes this film, as others have mentioned, is the spectacular feature length documentary on its making.  Considering it's produced by the studio that made the film, it's incredibly no-holds-barred in revealing just what went so wrong with the film.  Worth the price of admission (or in this case the blu-ray). 
  3. TIE -  AvP: REQUIEM and PROMETHEUS.  Both are unwatchable for different reasons.  REQUIEM is a cheesy horror slasher film that makes absolutely no sense.  Where the original AvP got away with its story because it took place on Antartica, this film takes place in the United States with a full-on slaughter-fest by both Alien and Predator alike.  PROMETHEUS, on the other hand, is a pretentious piece of garbage whose sole purpose is to give backstory where none was needed nor required.  Stunning visuals aside, its attempt to "elevate" the material only serves to weaken it. Taking place in 2093 (over a hundred years before ALIEN) we see the same tropes as the original film only now they seem tired and Xeroxed.  Shaw is the new Ripley. David is the new Ash. Alien discovered. One wants to kill it, the other wants to save it for experimentation. Throw in ALIENS characters like Vickers (Charlize Theron) as the new Burke and incompetent Janek (Idris Elba) as the new Lieutenant Gorman, who both make up for their incompetence by dying heroic deaths, and the film has just about hit all the same beats. I saw the former on cable and the latter in the theatre and have no desire to ever revisit them again.
That's my two cents.  I'm afraid that the way I feel about PROMETHEUS makes COVENANT a "must avoid at all costs" film. 

John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 09 March 2017 at 5:17pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

Agree! Especially about AvP.

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 March 2017 at 5:22pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

Agree with Matt 100%. There are three Alien universe films I can watch and they are the ones mentioned. 

AvP requiem. Aliens in a shopping mall. Some people may see that sentence and think 'yes, that's novel, new, exciting, something we haven't seen before'. They would be idiots

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 March 2017 at 12:38am | IP Logged | 25 post reply

I can't remember the last time Ridley Scott made a really good film, but I'm hoping this one is, at least, better than Prometheus was.

Page of 4 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |