Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: Confederate Momuments Removed in New Orleans Locked Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 May 2017 at 8:16am | IP Logged | 1  

The Robert E Lee one is in the process of coming down right now. This is by far the most prominent one. 

Edited by Jason Larouse on 19 May 2017 at 8:17am
Back to Top profile | search

John Cole
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 May 2017 at 11:56pm | IP Logged | 2  

When are the liberal drones going to have all the bodies exhumed from Arlington National Cemetery since it was Robert E. Lee's land seized for non payment of taxes?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 May 2017 at 3:44am | IP Logged | 3  

And when are the conservative drones going to stop coming up with bullshit equivalencies to defend the (likely) indefensible?

John, the concern is about whether or not we should be honoring people who took up arms against what had been their own country primarily for the purpose of maintaining their "rights" to enslave others. Seizing their lands and turning them into a graveyard is hardly that. You want to start bringing up road and school names, have at it.

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 20 May 2017 at 6:28am | IP Logged | 4  

When are the liberal drones going to have all the bodies exhumed from Arlington National Cemetery since it was Robert E. Lee's land seized for non payment of taxes?

••

There is false equivalency, and then there is no equivalency at all. Seizing property to pay delinquent taxes is what the IRS and its related bodies do.

I wonder when the auto-contrarians will figure out that digging up any point to present as a "counter" opinion is the same as having no opinion at all.

Marcio Ferreira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 May 2017 at 3:38pm | IP Logged | 5  

I honestly never had an opinion about the American Civil War, because I never studied this topic at school or later. I found THIS video very interesting and apparently there should be no doubt about that slavery was, by far, the main reason for war.
 In the end of the day, it seems fair to me that Confederate Monuments are removed.

Kevin Hagerman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 May 2017 at 6:09pm | IP Logged | 6  

I didn't know opposing slavery was a "liberal drone" position.

Marcio Ferreira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 May 2017 at 7:56am | IP Logged | 7  

Marcio Ferreira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 May 2017 at 7:57am | IP Logged | 8  

If the above is true, it is interesting how these things were forgotten...

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 May 2017 at 8:13am | IP Logged | 9  

Back in the days when I still thought of myself as a Republican, I was clinging to the memory of the "Party of Lincoln." But as time went by, those who represented the party so ground it down, so twisted and perverted it, that when I moved into my "new" house, 12 years ago, I registered as an independent.

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 May 2017 at 10:01am | IP Logged | 10  

This National Review article is a pretty good summary of the common wisdom that allows the current GOP to walk around the house without covering up the mirrors: h ttp://www.nationalreview.com/articles/300432/party-civil-rig hts-kevin-d-williamson

Basically, the Democrats will always be racists because so many of them voted against the 1964 Civil Rights Act, a law the author believes should never have been passed and should be repealed. Also, Strom Thurmond is a civil rights hero. 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 May 2017 at 12:18pm | IP Logged | 11  

Jonathan Chait's rebuttal to the National Review article:

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2012/05/conservative-fa ntasy-history-of-civil-rights.html

Marcio - it's probably true (can't speak to exact numbers but the gist is correct), but the 15th Amendment was ratified in 1870. Party platforms and memberships have a tendency to evolve over time.

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 May 2017 at 1:43pm | IP Logged | 12  

Yep, there's have been several shifts in ideology and membership of the two major parties over the last Century. Regions that were solidly Democrat have become solidly GOP. Not because the people changed, but because the platforms of the parties changed. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |