Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Wars MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Star Wars Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: What kind of STAR WARS collector are you? Locked Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 May 2017 at 9:53am | IP Logged | 1  

Just for fun... I started putting up a little mini-shrine in my man-cave yesterday, and started wondering:

I'm sure just about anyone here owns something big or small, related to STAR WARS... what do you normally like to buy to add to any of your collections?  What's your most prized vintage possessions, what are your holy grails, etc.?  And if you're so inclined, any pics of what you currently own?

Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 13 May 2017 at 10:02am | IP Logged | 2  

I think I'll let some other folk post before I stick my fat thumb into this pie! :)

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 May 2017 at 10:21am | IP Logged | 3  

(Ha!  I've seen some of your pics, JB!)

I'm more of a low-end collector--can't really afford to even think about high-end collectibles or vintage items--but looking around the house, I've still managed to build-up a nice little pile 'o stuff.

Some are obvious (I own all of the films on DVD or Blu-ray, and I have all the soundtracks on CD), but I've also got plenty of mugs, posters, toys, models, books, comics, t-shirts, keychains, etc.  Once I started to put them all together in one place, it looked cooler than I thought!

I'll take some pics of what I'm starting to set-up (let's just say it'll all look like a little pinky next to JB's big thumb!) and post a little later on.

I will say that if I could easily get my hands on some vintage items (at low cost!) I'd grab the original Kenner Darth Vader TIE-Fighter and the "Land of the Jawas" playset.  Along with the original line of figures, of course!

Edited by Shaun Barry on 13 May 2017 at 10:22am

Steven Myers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 May 2017 at 1:59pm | IP Logged | 4  

Comics, movies, shirts I guess. I don't really collect any Star Wars stuff just because it's Star Wars. I do have a hardback of Splinter of the Mind's Eye, which I was very happy to find.
Back to Top profile | search | www

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 May 2017 at 2:10pm | IP Logged | 5  

Hmm, how much do I admit here? I've been solidly collecting since '77 when I was 8 and have a rediculous amount of stuff. So much so that it is all in a spreadsheet. 

Well over 100 novels, over 600 figures, vintage and modern, lots of vehicles and play sets, including the Palitoy Death Star, every comic published, a stupid amount of reference books. Shop displays, posters, at least six different versions of the films in various formats, music and lego   blah blah blah

My prized possession is a Jabba the Hutt that my brother in law made me for one Christmas out of femo. I don't have a suitably sized phot at the moment but once I do, I'll post a pic here.

Oh yeah, I was in Empire magazine when The Phantom Menace was released talking about my collection, that was a high point as well

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 May 2017 at 5:01pm | IP Logged | 6  

Great piece of trivia of a Forum member, James!  Got any page scans from that issue?

Looking over a lot of the stuff I have, I see I'm more of a casual-but-particular fan than I realized.  I only seem to focus on items and imagery from the Original Trilogy (natch), and don't automatically grab anything with the STAR WARS name on it.  The logo will certainly always get my attention, and I'll always peruse the aisles in any given store, but I have no real love or use for the Prequels, new Sequels or spin-offs.  I leave that stuff to my son!

I think the vintage items I still own (or replaced, via eBay over the years) that give me the most pleasure looking-over from time-to-time are the original Topps series of movie cards (my father ordered the entire sets from some catalog as a birthday present, back in the early '80s--I've held onto them since); and gently-used copies of the original Marvel Comics (from #1 at least all the way to #50), as well as the two Marvel Treasury Editions from 1977.

Good memories!

Edited by Shaun Barry on 14 May 2017 at 5:02pm

Bill Mimbu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 May 2017 at 7:13pm | IP Logged | 7  

Very casual SW collector... Until recently, my DVDs outnumbered any merchandise besides books.

Currently, I have been picking up the Japanese super-deformed Nendoroid SW figures (Boba Fett due to arrive this Summer).

Just unboxed this one today:

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 May 2017 at 8:02pm | IP Logged | 8  

Here's one little mini-shrine on one side of my man-cave:

And here's another on the opposite side:

(Again, this is by no means supposed to be a definitive collection that is meant to impress anyone... just starting to dig through my accumulated SW stuff and put it on display for fun.  And as you can see, I'm just focusing on the 1977 STAR WARS for now... so much nostalgia for the original imagery, ships & characters!)

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 May 2017 at 8:57pm | IP Logged | 9  

Another bookcase top:

...The anal-retentive nostalgia-hound in me couldn't resist setting-up those die-cast ships to resemble this old Kenner comic book ad:

Image result for star wars kenner comic ad

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 May 2017 at 10:50pm | IP Logged | 10  

Ah yes, micro machines and Action Fleet. They were great. I also have the treasury editions. In fact, they were among the first things I got, Christmas '77.

And that four disc CD set is amazing isn't it?

I'll see if I have any scans of the article and get it down to a file size I can post over the next few days

Mario Ribeiro
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 May 2017 at 4:45am | IP Logged | 11  

I have the original unaltered trilogy on DVD and that's it.

John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 15 May 2017 at 7:45am | IP Logged | 12  

I won't load up this thread with pictures, but looking around I see my STAR WARS collection -- more of an accumulation! -- is extensive. Plus, it stretches back a ways.

I have the original paperback of the novelization, a second printing from 1977. Plus, a couple of "Making of..." and "Art of..." books. Some of the art in those made me seriously consider seeking honest employment!

There's an original 3" Threepio action figure, and the 12" of the same. Both of those I keep in the TV room with my life-sized Threepio. I call them my three C-POs. Har har. Humor.

Standing near the big Threepio are the life-sized storm trooper from the Sharper Image, and the homemade life-sized Vader. I picked up a recent 3' Vader to stand beside the big one as a kind of "Mini Me". Vader is carrying a light saber bought separately.

Also in the TV room is a foot tall Ben Kenobi with an excellent likeness of Aelc Guiness, and a "studio scale" Millennium Falcon.   Next to the latter is a figure of a "sexy" female version of the flight suits the rebel pilots wear when attacking the Death Star.

In the Studio, hanging from the ceiling with all my other model aircraft, is a 1:18 scale X-Wing. There's also a foot tall two-legged walker somewhere, tho I now realize I haven't actually seen it for a while!

I have one DVD "set" to get a copy of the original in its true form. (Or as close as we'll ever get.)

I think that covers it!

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 May 2017 at 9:53am | IP Logged | 13  

I have a few hundred toys here, there, and everywhere, mostly droids. It's still hard even at this late date for me to pass up an interesting C-3PO or RA-7 Death Star Droid. My initial interest in the 1927 Metropolis was fueled by my fascination with Threepio, so the Maria collection I have is closely related to my Star Wars fixation. I recently bought a shallow box filled with MicroMachine spaceships that I hope to sell on eBay eventually. At this point, the only DVD I own is of the original Star Wars, the edition where an approximation of the theatrical cut is available as an extra. I'd be interested in getting copies of Empire and Jedi as well if they were the originals, but I'm not champing at the bit to find them. Owning the special editions, prequels, and sequels doesn't interest me at all.

Mario, are your copies of the unaltered trilogy only available in South America?

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member

L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 15 May 2017 at 10:20am | IP Logged | 14  

Two canvas mini-posters of the original & EMPIRE on my bedroom wall; that's it.

Even if I wanted more, my impulse to collect is in direct opposition to my total aversion to clutter.  My aversion to clutter always wins.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 May 2017 at 1:00pm | IP Logged | 15  

I have various releases of the Lucas-era films (VHS/DVD/Blu-Ray/"aftermarket") and their novelizations, along with a smattering of other SW novels. Several releases of the soundtracks on CD. A bunch of making-of/Art of books (both official and unauthorized), as well as some of the in-universe references guides (Visual Dictionaries, etc.). Most of the original Marvel comic series (as well as the entire run in trade reprints), along with some Dark Horse comics and numerous magazines (mostly STAR WARS INSIDER). Various Fine Molds and Bandai model kits (mostly ships in 1/72 scale, as well as the awesome 1/12 Artoo and Threepio kits). A few statues from the late 90s. A bunch of figures from the late 90s and early 00s, and a handful from the original 1978-85 line, as well as one from Sideshow's 1/6 scale line. A number of Master Replicas lightsaber props (static, Signature Edition, and FX), and some handbuilt lightsaber replicas made from accurate parts, as well as some resin castings. I have more Graflex flashgun/Skywalker-type lightsaber replicas than might be considered sane. Currently working on building my own FX lightsaber with custom electronics and all the bells and whistles. Chomping at the bit to build some Bandai starfighter models, but STAR TREK is currently getting the bulk of my model-building attention.

Edited by Greg Kirkman on 15 May 2017 at 4:46pm

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 May 2017 at 3:35pm | IP Logged | 16  

I have the original trilogy on DVD (STAR WARS twice, as the second one has the "non-special edition" version as a special feature).

I have the prequels on DVD. Bought those when they were released...haven't watched them in years.

I have STAR WARS on Blu-Ray. And THE FORCE AWAKENS.

I have (or had...can't seem to find it these days) STAR WARS on VHS.

I have a Yoda action figure from way back. And an Ewok.

And I have a shirt that has silohuettes of the Millenium Falcon, the Enterprise, and Serenity "racing." But that's it for any Star Wars-y clothing.

I have a CD that collects various John Williams Star Wars bits from the original trilogy, too.

Edited by Brian Rhodes on 15 May 2017 at 3:37pm

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 May 2017 at 3:52pm | IP Logged | 17  

Thom, what is this "aa- versh-i-ownn... to... cl... cl..."? You're using words and concepts I cannot wrap my head around... 

Jozef Brandt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 May 2017 at 1:16am | IP Logged | 18  

I got back into collecting about 2008 or so when my son turned 4 and I got him some Star Wars figs.  Then I started building dioramas and playsets, which needed people to fill them...well, I have a pretty good pile of figures now. 

One thing I started collecting recently that isn't a toy...the guy who shot the photos for the original Kenner action figures and vehicles got the rights back to his negatives and is selling signed/numbered prints.  I've gotten a few in various sizes and they truly are beautiful.  First one I bought was my favorite vehicle, the AT-AT, next one was Chewbacca.  Will probably get the Falcon one next.   The guy's website is The Man Who Shot Luke Skywalker.  (He's been updating the website lately, so hopefully it's working). 

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 May 2017 at 7:23am | IP Logged | 19  

Here are scans of the Empire article I mentioned above

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 May 2017 at 7:25am | IP Logged | 20  

And here is the Jabba the hutt my brother in law made. it's over 20 years old now so the femo has degraded somewhat, with the tail breaking off.

I was so proud of it that I took it to be signed by a load of actors at one convention

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 May 2017 at 11:57am | IP Logged | 21  

James Woodcock for the win, everybody!

:)

John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 16 May 2017 at 12:18pm | IP Logged | 22  

Oh, yeah?!? Well, I had dinner with Mark Hamill, so :-pppppppp

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 May 2017 at 1:11pm | IP Logged | 23  

Damn, I was so close, and you had to go and say that.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 May 2017 at 4:31pm | IP Logged | 24  

(And personally, James, I think you kinda look--or looked--like director Tobe Hooper in his younger days!)

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2017 at 7:13am | IP Logged | 25  

I have a corner in "my room" at our house that I have set up my remaining figures (both 4 and 12 inch), glasses from Burger King, Marvel comics, cards, and the records that were released. I keep the DVD/Blu Rays and CDs in a separate spot. Each wall of the room represents my other areas of fandom (Marvel, DC, G.I. Joe, hockey, and pro wrestling).

Edited by Shawn Kane on 25 May 2017 at 7:13am

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |