TV MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | TV << Prev Page of 18 Next >>
Topic: The Orville Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 November 2017 at 5:41am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

"When
Vortis(sp?) showed up in the "holo-deck"..."

The wig! That was funny. Give Bortus credit, he's trying to fit in.
I really lost it when Isaac told Kelly; "Then try to enunciate".
Back to Top profile | search

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 November 2017 at 8:54am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Unfortunately, when I see MacFarlane has not written an episode I kinda sit there waiting for it to go wrong. This one didn't, but I was unable to just sit back and enjoy.
+++++++

I felt trepidation when I saw that he hadn't written this one, but I was able to sit back and enjoy. And I enjoyed the heck out of this one. I'd say this episode confirms what I already believed: Alara is the heart and soul of the show.

Do you guys scour the beginning credits every episode? I don’t pay attention to them at all and try to skip them whenever I can. 

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 November 2017 at 9:20am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I do when I start to perceive a difference in quality between episodes written by the showrunner/creator and other people. I've been doing that with IT'S ALWAYS SUNNY IN PHILADELPHIA for years. One or more of the main three actors wrote every episode of the first few seasons, then started farming it out to others every now and then. I've developed a bias where I start judging en episode just by seeing the credits in the beginning. I still feel that the cast-written episodes are better, but I do wonder if I'd be able to decide that blindly. It's kinda unfair to the other writers, I know.

I did the same with not-JB inkers when I was a kid. I hated when Bob Wiacek started inking ALPHA FLIGHT, and assumed that he was messing with the art. Then a few years later I saw some of JB's pre-inked pencils and saw that Wiacek was actually extremely faithful to the pencils. Turns out that I just didn't like that he used a different inking line than JB did - which was not really fair on my part.

John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 17 November 2017 at 10:33am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Do you guys scour the beginning credits every episode? I don’t pay attention to them at all and try to skip them whenever I can.

••

Ah, such deep respect for the people who are working to entertain you.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 November 2017 at 12:41pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

No, I didn’t mean it like that. It’s just that you seem to be looking for disappointment right off the bat if McFarlane isn’t writing it. 

John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 17 November 2017 at 1:50pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

No, I didn’t mean it like that.

•••

Sorry. When you said you deliberately AVOIDED reading the credits I foolishly assumed you meant you deliberately avoided reading the credits.

========

It’s just that you seem to be looking for disappointment right off the bat if McFarlane isn’t writing it.

•••

Episodes not written by MacFarlane have seemed, generously, somewhat lackluster to me. I look for his name because I am hoping for a better episode, not because I am "looking for disappointment."

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 November 2017 at 3:20pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I wouldn't mind seeing Macfarlane try an 'almost completely serious' episode(which have produced mixed results with other writers), and let someone else try a 'predominanatly Family Guy-esque' comedy story, to see how it turns out.
I'm just glad 'The Orville' runs a full opening, complete with the ST custom of listing character names with actors. With some 21st-century shows, where there are no opening theme songs to speak of, and they just flash names over the first 5 minutes(or more) of the episode, it can be more difficult than it used to be to link actor and character names right off the bat.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 November 2017 at 3:52pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

“Hobo clowns are the most dangerous because they’re hungry.”

I was a bit hopeful when I saw Cherry Chevapravatdumrong’s name (it’s a difficult name to remain unnoticed), as she’s a long-time writer and producer on FAMILY GUY, and I expected her to get MacFarlane’s aesthetic. 

John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 17 November 2017 at 5:04pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Watched last night's again and found it very good, minus my anxiety.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 November 2017 at 5:07pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

++++++++++++

My favorite line in the episode!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 November 2017 at 5:08pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Episodes not written by MacFarlane have seemed, generously, somewhat lackluster to me. I look for his name because I am hoping for a better episode, not because I am "looking for disappointment."
+++++++++++++

Ditto. His scripts have a particular style and tone that others don't quite seem to be in sync with.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 November 2017 at 6:51pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

++++++++++++

My favorite line in the episode!

----

The Orville usually provides me with at least one laugh out loud moment in an episode. That was this week's.

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 November 2017 at 9:04pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Just watched it on Hulu.

I liked it! I was entertained throughout - and while I was expecting to be disappointed in the reveal of the situation, I actually wasn't. I think the reveal of who was actually behind it (and how) made the explanation believable.

It did feel different than the other episodes, but given the plot that makes sense. Surprisingly, this was the most serious episode so far, given that the writer is a co-executive producer and writer on FAMILY GUY as well. But honestly, if the writer credits had read "Seth MacFarlane" tonight, I would have believed it. I won't be fearful the next time I see her writer credit on an episode of this show, that's for sure.

Edited by Vinny Valenti on 17 November 2017 at 9:04pm

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 November 2017 at 3:27am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Nice twist on "Holodeck episodes", and some clever callbacks to a few horror movies as well. I think I became even more of an Alara fan after this one.

Paul Kimball
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 November 2017 at 1:01pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Ah, such deep respect for the people who are working to entertain you.•••

Sorry. When you said you deliberately AVOIDED reading the credits I foolishly
assumed you meant you deliberately avoided reading the credits.

________
I think he meant you are reading into what he said a motivation he doesn't
have. I'm speaking up as I don't always read credits before watching but it's
not because I lack respect for the writers.

John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 18 November 2017 at 1:23pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

What, then?

Paul Kimball
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 November 2017 at 2:33pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

I like to immerse myself in the story first. Later I will look into who's work it was
but I like to go in blind to lessen preconceived expectations.

Paul Lloyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 November 2017 at 5:31am | IP Logged | 18 post reply

I thought Robert Picardo's costume looked a bit Man of Steel era Kryptonian... 

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 November 2017 at 10:18pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

Interesting chat with MacFarlane and members of the writing/producing staff:

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 November 2017 at 7:42am | IP Logged | 20 post reply

Entertaining enough episode and some funny moments from Gordon and Bortus, not to mention quite a lot of creepy ones. LaMarr's various reactions to the prospect of the clowns also amused me. The structure of solving the mystery of increasingly dramatic, and seemingly inexplicable, events is entertaining enough, but I'm not crazy about it

INVISO TEXT (Click or highlight to reveal):
all being a Holodeck simulation

Though this was more satisfying than the resolution I feared (after Gordon and the alien, I began to have a creeping worry that it was going to end up as being all a hallucination from a bang on the head).

Still, I did like that they went with the simple, happy conclusion and didn't feel to stick in some last minute nonesense and the overall temperament of the crew is nice to behold.

Edited by Peter Martin on 20 November 2017 at 7:43am

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 November 2017 at 8:09am | IP Logged | 21 post reply

I immediately assumed that the solution would be what you inviso'ed, Peter, and on its own that would have annoyed me, since it would have felt out of character with the explanation I concocted in my head  - but the actual added details of the how/why left me satisfied.

I appreciate that the death of a character was taken so seriously. A lot of shows gloss over the affect that can have on others, especially when it happens to a "red shirt".

Edited by Vinny Valenti on 20 November 2017 at 10:12am

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 November 2017 at 9:33am | IP Logged | 22 post reply

We loved this episode. Had "The Orville" done a Halloween show (as seemed to happen annually with Star Trek TNG after the first couple seasons), I would have thought this would have been perfect for it.

There were clues that it was the Simulator, but it was also treated with such seriousness that I wasn't... QUITE... sure. It was worth the uncertainty. And the overhead shot near the end was REALLY neat... why not be able to observe what's going on in there? (And I believe it could be made private - except that this was the Captain and First Officer, who I would very easily believe have the authority to override that privacy.)

I appreciated the reason that they could not end the simulation. Perfectly legitimate, and a good smack in the nose to the TNG episodes where it happened.

Some great moments:
*  Seeing the Orville destroyed. I kinda felt a funny twitch seeing that.
*  Alara vs Evil Isaac. I don't know if his strength limits have been shown; in the "Isaac and the Kids" episode, he didn't seem phenomenally strong. But I liked it much more than "Worf vs Data - and Worf is down" stories.
*  The possible explanations for the events.
*  Funny lines in a serious situation. Oh, those were great! "It is a clown." "Right, watch out for seltzer bottles and balloon animals." "I'm just talking through my ass." "Then please enunciate." This show just cracks me up.

This episode was, to me, an exception to the non-McFarlane written episodes. As noted, most of those seem to be a bit lower level of quality. It's McFarlane's baby... he knows its exact voice and tone. I appreciate those a lot more.

Still, for being directed by Brannon Braga... it wasn't half as bad as I dreaded. I feel a little melancholy that there are only two more new episodes.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 November 2017 at 9:57am | IP Logged | 23 post reply

Yes, I forgot to mention how good the smackdown between Alara and Isaac was. Really ferocious! They conveyed the power of the blows in a way that you rarely see done.

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 November 2017 at 12:18pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

My favorite line was just the emphasis with which Bortus yelled "CLOWWWN???" while searching in the dark. Perfect example of being unaware of the concept of 'subtlety'.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 November 2017 at 4:16pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

14 December on Fox for UK viewers.

<< Prev Page of 18 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |