Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: Rich Buckler Locked Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 May 2017 at 12:53pm | IP Logged | 1  

I enjoyed his work. SUPERMAN VS. SHAZAM is a favorite.

Holy moly, I never knew that he drew the giant size Superman VS Shazam one shot comic. That was one of my favorite comics when I was a kid. My cousin gave me that book when I was 8 or 9 years old. Back in those days, I didn't look or care who the writer or artist was on the comics that I read. If it looked cool, I was gonna read it. This is sad news. RIP.
Back to Top profile | search

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 May 2017 at 1:08pm | IP Logged | 2  

SUPERMAN VS. SHAZAM was one of my all-time favorite Treasuries as a kid... but when I finally re-acquired it through eBay a few years ago and started flipping through it again, my first thought was, "Holy Neal Adams!!!"

Edited by Shaun Barry on 21 May 2017 at 1:08pm

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 May 2017 at 2:19pm | IP Logged | 3  

Buckler was responsible for a great many comics that I enjoyed as a kid. He did a two-part Superman/Captain Marvel crossover in DC Comics Presents and the JLA story where Starro first created his army of "face-huggers." 

This is very sad news.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Peter Hicks
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 May 2017 at 3:21pm | IP Logged | 4  

When I was a child, Buckler was my favourite artist.  I first saw his work on Avengers 103, and soon followed him when he moved to FF, and then created Deathlok.  Very sad news.  Rest in peace Rich.

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 May 2017 at 4:50pm | IP Logged | 5  

Robert Bradley wrote:
There were quite a few of them in his FF run.  Enough that my 12-year-old self noticed noticed them at the time.

I just put them down now as his reaction to Marvel asking him to draw in a "Kirby style".

It wasn't just that, because he continued doing it throughout his career.  I remember reading his run on World's Finest, and there were swipes-a-plenty... I remember spotting Adams, Dillin, Aparo, Novick, and Garcia Lopez among others.  It was even acknowledged in the letters page, with the assistant editor acknowledging Buckler was keeping alive "the grand old art of swiping."  It's worth noting however that Buckler did have talent.  He wasn't a Bob Kane who swiped because he was unable to draw very well.  It seems like it was a shortcut rather than a crutch for him.

Interesting comments from Levitz.  Lots of guys did get their starts assisting Buckler:  George Perez, Keith Pollard, Arvell Jones, Denys Cowan.

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 May 2017 at 5:10pm | IP Logged | 6  

Sorry to hear this. His name was a mainstay in the
credits of 1970s comics and I always thought of him as a
solid if not spectacular artist. I met him once at
MidOhioCon. RIP.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 May 2017 at 7:19am | IP Logged | 7  

It wasn't just that, because he continued doing it throughout his career. I remember reading his run on World's Finest, and there were swipes-a-plenty... I remember spotting Adams, Dillin, Aparo, Novick, and Garcia Lopez among others. It was even acknowledged in the letters page, with the assistant editor acknowledging Buckler was keeping alive "the grand old art of swiping." It's worth noting however that Buckler did have talent. He wasn't a Bob Kane who swiped because he was unable to draw very well. It seems like it was a shortcut rather than a crutch for him.

Interesting comments from Levitz. Lots of guys did get their starts assisting Buckler: George Perez, Keith Pollard, Arvell Jones, Denys Cowan.

••

Again I run the risk, but...

It should be remembered that in far too many instances it was those assistants who did the swiping, Buckler was just telling them WHAT to swipe.

And the sad part there is that Buckler, on his own, WAS a good artist.

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 May 2017 at 7:43am | IP Logged | 8  

I must admit that during my childhood, i was drawn to a lot of Buckler's work for DC (his Marvel work didn't register to me) ... perhaps it was that he was swiping a lot from Neal Adams plus most (if not all) of his work was inked by Dick Giordano. DC gave him plenty of work from WORLD'S FINEST, SUPERMAN VS. SHAZAM!, JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA, DC COMICS PRESENTS, and most memorable to me, ALL-STAR SQUADRON. Plus, he did a ton of cover work for many of DC's book. For better or worse, Buckler left his mark on the industry.

RIP

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Cory Vandernet
Byrne Robotics Member

Henchman

Posted: 22 May 2017 at 5:18pm | IP Logged | 9  

I became a fan of Rich Buckler when I first saw this Splash page from Avengers 102. His run on Avengers from 101 to 104 & 106 impressed me. There was something about his stuff I really liked.
He only did half of Avengers 106 but the Cockrum inks in this issue were stunning.
Buckler moved on to a 3 issue run on Jungle Action with some of Klaus Janson's first inks for Marvel which I really enjoyed. I had high hopes when Buckler took over FF. His first issue was great, I thought. A missed opportunity, I liked Deathlok, and Demon Hunter/Devil Slayer/Bloodwing as well. A sad day.

Jeff Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 May 2017 at 6:40am | IP Logged | 10  

Swipes?  I have heard of this recently, but...I don't really care! Buckler was awesome, his penciling on those early FF issues was what I grew up loving!  RIP :)

Shit, Bob Kane traced his Batman figures from Flash Gordon comics, etc....literally provided zero input into the Batman character...he raped Bill Finger for decades & received ALL of the praise!!  Ha, so if Buckler swiped a bit...who cares. :)

The real hero is Joe Sinnott , the inking GIANT who kept FF cohesive for every bit of the 60's & 70's!  Bless you! :)

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 23 May 2017 at 6:44am | IP Logged | 11  

…Buckler swiped a bit…

••

As noted, a LOT more than "a bit".

Let's not whitewash the guy just because he's dead. As Voltaire said, the living deserve our respect, the dead deserve the truth.

Jeff Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 May 2017 at 7:05am | IP Logged | 12  

Ok, swiped a bit, a lot...still, I don't care.  Buckler still had a great penciling technique, not sure why he needed to copy from others though??  From examples I have seen, his swipes were not exactly traced panels from other artists, he did input his own style.

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |